Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old November 18 2007, 05:41 PM   #1
2of1million
Captain

Troi the only counselor?

This has been bugging me! Recently I have watched the 4th season episode "The Loss". In that one Deanna loses her empathic abilities and because of it wants to resign. Guinan then says that would mean there would be no counselor on board. So are they trying to tell me that Troi is the only counselor on board a ship with over 1000 people?? I find that hard to believe. I'd hope there are other counselors for a ship that big.

2of1million is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18 2007, 07:34 PM   #2
KDoug
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Troi the only counselor?

Heck, their sickbay only has five beds! Starfleet has always under-funded their medical department.
Old November 18 2007, 07:48 PM   #3
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral

You know how many counselors Kirk's ship had?
Old November 18 2007, 08:02 PM   #4
Crewman47
Commodore

With Sickbay there's a whole section with beds behind the walls of the main sickbay that we never get to see and with Troi as the only Counselor then I guess think that may have been only at the time as I would like to think that there would be at least another two counselors on board working for Troi.

Iirc this has been discussed before and I think the conclusion was that Troi did have assistants to help her out.
Crewman47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18 2007, 09:54 PM   #5
Vanyel
The Imperious Leader

Yup, in the episode itself, Troi tells her patient that one of the other counselors will be taking over that patient's case.

I'm guessing that her official position is the Counseling Department Head. She probably reports either to the Chief Medical Officer or directly to the captain.
Imogene, get serious! Who do you think you're talking to?! I've known you for 27 years, and all I can say is, if God was giving out sexually transmitted diseases to people as a punishment for sinning, then you would be at the free clinic all the time! And so would the rest of us!
--Julia Sugarbaker
Vanyel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18 2007, 09:56 PM   #6
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral

Really, how many shrinks do you need in a population of 1000? Assuming we're talking Middle America rather than Southern California, of course.
Old November 18 2007, 10:25 PM   #7
Vanyel
The Imperious Leader

The Old Mixer said:
Really, how many shrinks do you need in a population of 1000? Assuming we're talking Middle America rather than Southern California, of course.
Well assuming that the entire crew, could need a physiological evaluation every year or two, 10. I have no numbers to back it, but it would allow the counselors to have regular patients and do regular evaluations.
Imogene, get serious! Who do you think you're talking to?! I've known you for 27 years, and all I can say is, if God was giving out sexually transmitted diseases to people as a punishment for sinning, then you would be at the free clinic all the time! And so would the rest of us!
--Julia Sugarbaker
Vanyel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19 2007, 02:05 AM   #8
2of1million
Captain

Vanyel said:
Yup, in the episode itself, Troi tells her patient that one of the other counselors will be taking over that patient's case.

Oops! Must have missed that part.
2of1million is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19 2007, 06:57 PM   #9
Tino
Captain

2of1million said:
I'd hope there are other counselors for a ship that big.

I always wondered about the same thing. The writers of the TITAN-novels made Deanna diplomatic officer and the head counselor. I believe at least two more counserlors are serving with her on the U.S.S. Titan.
Tino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19 2007, 09:32 PM   #10
Timo
Admiral

Yet there is no onscreen indication that there would be other counselors aboard the E-D. Or more than one dentist or osteologist, for that matter. The demand might simply not necessitate this, not with crew rotation and starbase visits enabling the use of shorebound medical resources. If somebody is having psychological problems, a counselor could provide first aid, but the ultimate solution would still be to kick the loser off the ship at the nearest starbase and get a replacement who has his or her head screwed on right.

Seriously, I think the ship needs more barbers than it needs counselors. (And indeed Mr Mott seems to have at least two colleagues or assistants.)

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19 2007, 10:41 PM   #11
sturmde
Fleet Captain

She's probably the only *pure* counselor. Clearly, the CMO and assisting doctors also would serve in a secondary duty.

A ship's chaplain might also have a caseload.

In a STARFLEET crew of 1000, I'd hope there wasn't a need for more than one fulltime counselor...
sturmde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20 2007, 01:02 AM   #12
Mitty
Vice Admiral

^There is no Chaplain on Board because there is no religion in the Future.
Old November 20 2007, 08:38 AM   #13
Timo
Admiral

Sure there could be religion on board. It's just that Captain Picard frowns on theist types of religion, and would be unlikely to approve of, say, Christian or Muslim clergy aboard (Buddhism or Taoism or old Greek pantheism or Bajoran Propheteering should be okay, tho - they don't have mythical gods, only real ones). Plus he obviously wants to be the one to marry the happy couples.

Curiously, Kirk's TOS ship had a chapel but a chaplain was never seen.

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20 2007, 09:11 AM   #14
WillsBabe
Vice Admiral

Mitty said:
^There is no Chaplain on Board because there is no religion in the Future.
It's Diwali in Data's Day. Admittedly though, we don't see much other evidence of Human religion in 24th Century Trek.

WillsBabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20 2007, 09:44 AM   #15
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Timo said:
Curiously, Kirk's TOS ship had a chapel but a chaplain was never seen.

The TOS ship had three chapels: The chapel, Nurse Chapel and Captain Kirk. (Kirk means Church)
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote