Mystery Mini Vinyl Figure Display Box
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

The Red Shirt Diaries Episode Five
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

Shatner In Trek 3? Well Maybe
By: T'Bonz on Sep 28

Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old November 16 2007, 04:42 AM   #91
Harvey
Admiral

Re: Menagerie, re-mastered on the Big Screen

Well, just got back from the screening tonight. Generally, I was pleased, but I can't say I was 100% happy with the experience. Whiny complaints:

(1) The new effects just don't look that great on the big screen. Maybe it was the projector (was it HD? Was it SD? I can't be sure, since it was so dark)

(2) A little expensive. 13.50 when it was all said and done...and not a poster, a coupon, and hardly any extra features that we hadn't already seen online for free

(3) The end credits... they should have put part one's credits at the end of part one. Playing both end credits sequences at the end was just awkward.

Otherwise, Shatner and co. on the big screen. What's not to like? I think the Pike/Boyce scene in Pike's cabin is one of my favorite scenes of television ever made. And Vina's feet aren't painted green. You'd never notice. Cool beans.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16 2007, 05:06 AM   #92
FalTorPan
Vice Admiral

I watched "The Menagerie" earlier today, and I was blown away by the crisp visuals. It's almost as if the episode were made last week rather than 40 years ago.

This was indeed a pricey infomercial, but unlike most infomercials, this was made a very convincing sales pitch.

Great stuff.
Old November 16 2007, 06:12 AM   #93
Pensive
Fleet Captain

View Pensive's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Pensive Send a message via Yahoo to Pensive

I just got back from the encore screening - I noticed a few things people mentioned up-thread: Shatner's hairpiece line, Pike's tear, etc. Thankfully there were a few more people in the theater tonight, many of them under 25.

Also got to meet Nightfall to-Ennien
Old November 16 2007, 06:14 AM   #94
Kryton
Admiral

RAMA said:
Electric Coleslaw said:
RAMA said:
OK I've read several posts on here, that state: "laughter at the expected places", and laughter when Spock yells "the women!". OK why did people laugh at that? I don't get it! He's simply stating the obvious fact that only the two women were taken, and not the 4 men of the landing party.

RAMA
For me it's a combination of knowing the sexist attitudes of the 1960's and the fact that it's our supposedly non-emotion Spock getting upset because they took the babes!
Well this is incorrect...Spock was not emotionless in the "Cage", Number One was. Spock was alien but emotionless was not part of his description. And I honestly don't think in this particular case, that the line was sexist. So really, I still don't understand the reaction. Some of the other laughter I understood.

RAMA
This is a salient point...when NBC insisted it was either the pointy-eared alien or the uppity woman officer, Roddenberry folded them both into the same first officer. It's pretty obvious to anyone with 1/3 a brain.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16 2007, 06:39 AM   #95
thollian
Lieutenant Commander

I got to say, I had a great experience watching the episode on the big screen, the video was really clear and not dark, and there was surround sound for me. I saw it at a Regal Cinema's in San Antonio....
Old November 16 2007, 06:44 AM   #96
Maurice
Vice Admiral

Please. Roddenberry's later assertions aside, there was nothing unemotional about Number One in "The Cage".
—Glen Larson, 2010
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16 2007, 08:54 AM   #97
Matt
Commodore

She looks perturbed and sad the whole time, because she's constantly being ripped on.
Old November 16 2007, 09:09 AM   #98
CaptainStoner
Knuckle-dragging TNZ Denizen

I saw it Tuesday in a theater packed to the gills. There was one lone soldier, a somewhat roundish fellow in a blue TOS shirt, standing around some folding tables in the entrance with some kind of propaganda laid out.
It was fun to see. It almost seemed the Cage bits looked even sharper than the later Kirk era footage, but very nice, and the ship of course looks fantastic - I would say the best compliment for the new Enterprise shots is that they almost look non-CGI.
And yes Spock's "The women!!!" got one of the biggest rounds of snickers, of course. The place was full of cheesy snickers, I mean we are talking about Star Trek here. Ass-headed aliens stealing women to breed with their captives, this is serious original cheese of the highest caliber. All ass-headed aliens to follow are pasty, lumpy imitations. Hail to the Bird.
CaptainStoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16 2007, 10:40 AM   #99
Mike Have-Not
Captain

Location: SF Bay Area, North American Continent, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way Galaxy

Just got back from watching both the 7:30 AND 10:30 screenings (had friends with different schedules, so decided to see it with all of them!) in Emeryville, CA.

It was fun! There were a few people in costume (there's something strange about seeing a woman in a 23rd century Lt. uniform smoking a cigarette...)

My nitpicks. The image onscreen was blurry. And WAY, WAY, WAY too dark. If I were at home, I would have jumped up and adjusted the brightness (all the way up), contrast (all the way up), and color (a little bit down).

Otherwise it was cool!
Old November 16 2007, 01:04 PM   #100
FalTorPan
Vice Admiral

CaptainStoner said:
And yes Spock's "The women!!!" got one of the biggest rounds of snickers, of course. The place was full of cheesy snickers, I mean we are talking about Star Trek here. Ass-headed aliens stealing women to breed with their captives, this is serious original cheese of the highest caliber. All ass-headed aliens to follow are pasty, lumpy imitations. Hail to the Bird.
Fortunately there were few snickers when I watched the episode. TOS has plenty of snicker-worthy moments, but very few are to be found in "The Menagerie."
Old November 16 2007, 05:09 PM   #101
Electric Coleslaw
Rear Admiral

They should show a double-header of "Spock's Brain" and "The Way to Eden". That would be a great laugh-fest!

I stated this earlier but our theater did have a sort of double image on the outlines of people. It seemed to go away when they moved.
Old November 16 2007, 06:23 PM   #102
TheLonelySquire
Vice Admiral

Went to the 10:30 sho in Waterbury, Connecticut last night. Too dark, non-surround. Great to see the Enterprise on screen though.

Three of us walked into the theater at 10:15. Guess how many other people were in the theater?

ONE. A teenaged girl waiting for her boyfriend (who she spent the majority of the movie lip locked with).

Literally, FIVE people ended up in that theater. It was funny.

One observation. In Spock's Brain Scotty was very impressed with the Ion engines used by the alien ship. he even stated, "Ion propulsion at that, aye, they could teach us a thing or two!" But in the Menagerie, they referenced the shuttlecraft as using ion propulsion. Just picked up on that.
TheLonelySquire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16 2007, 07:32 PM   #103
Captain Kirk
Lieutenant Commander

I, too, saw it last night at a Regal theater in Little Rock. It looked FANTASTIC! If that wasn't the DLP projector they use for feature films, you couldn't tell the difference. Very bright and crisp. And the 5.1 sound was great. They had the Low Frequency Effects channel cranked and every time there was a loud effect or music with a lot of bass, my chair shook.

Nice crowd of around 75 people. A couple with Star Trek stuff on. One in full uniform (a woman in a red TOS mini and black boots).

It was a little pricey for my family, but we had a great time.
Old November 16 2007, 09:04 PM   #104
RAMA
Vice Admiral

klingongoat said:
I think the line is sexist because it seem to me that by shouting "the women!!", it objectifies them. Then it classifies them according to their gender in a subervient manner -- rather than just being concerned that two "crewmwmbers" are missing.

What a load of crap I just wrote!
Wait a sec...calling someone by their gender to coollectively classify them is subserviant? That is a load of crap!

RAMA
Old November 16 2007, 09:09 PM   #105
RAMA
Vice Admiral

22 Stars said:

Oy, ok, I understand your point, but I don't think you are listening to spirit of the other posters replies. Yes, you could argue that in less than a second, Spock sized up the situation, recognized that the two crewmembers who were beamed were 'THE WOMEN'! lol, but that doesn't take away from the fact that the line, in the dramatic context of the show comes off as funny, possibly sexist like 'Oh no, they took THE WOMEN, how will they ever manage on thier own, because they are ONLY WOMEN, and we are MEN, there to PROTECT THEM, THE WOMEN are in trouble.... get it?

I would ONLY agree, if they had a launch a rescue the two helpless women and stated that as such or Pike felt he had to get the women back to the ship because they are weak...however, when the two women land, they are very efficient and in control, and hardly helpless. Number One eventually is the one who forces the Talosians hand, not Pike. So any kind of knee jerk reaction to Spock's surprise is really silly.

RAMA