A Baby For Saldana
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Klingon Beer Arrives In The US
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

Star Trek: Prelude To Axanar

Abrams Announces Star Wars: Force For Change Sweepstakes

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old November 14 2007, 05:59 PM   #46
T'Bonz
Romulan Curmudgeon

Re: Menagerie, re-mastered on the Big Screen

That would have been the only draw for me. Especially since in Florida, I guess theaters turn off the A.C. when the place is closed and since they have fabric on the ways, mold and mildew grow. I'm highly allergic to it and it's no fun in that respect when I go to the movies.

I will, of course, go when Star Trek XI screens!

Romulans aren't paranoid. We're merely proactively cautious.
T'Bonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14 2007, 06:41 PM   #47
seigezunt
Vice Admiral

Location: Splashing on some Tiberius before a night on the town

Saw it last night and loved it. Was great to see Trek on the big screen. Of course they hawked the dvd. I didn't know you can play the new dvds on regular machines. temptation...

It would be great to see the Big E on the screen like that again. Too bad if it truly is completely redesigned...

Would be great to see other TOS eps on the big screen. I'd pay the $$ for it. It's an event.
I am constantly surprised by the close-mindedness of some fans...this means change as well as a positive attitude. Without those things, how can we ever achieve that Trek future we enjoyed so much on TV? --Bjo Trimble
seigezunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14 2007, 08:01 PM   #48
Pensive
Fleet Captain

View Pensive's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Pensive Send a message via Yahoo to Pensive

Something else the huge screen and HD made clear to me: apparently everyone in the future has ultra-blue eyes
Old November 14 2007, 09:11 PM   #49
22 Stars
Commodore

^ I noticed that a lot too. And deep red lipstick was aplenty, even for Vina who was shipwrecked!! What the hell, that should have been their first hunch that something wasn't quite legit.

One thing that I've always thought was great about The Cage being turned into the Mengaerie, is that it gives Trek a scope, very early on that most shows try to create. All of a sudden the Trek Universe has a completely believeable back story, complete with a very high production value flashback, with a whole new Captain etc. Talk about turning lemons into lemonade!
22 Stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14 2007, 09:15 PM   #50
22 Stars
Commodore

TBonz said:
That would have been the only draw for me. Especially since in Florida, I guess theaters turn off the A.C. when the place is closed and since they have fabric on the ways, mold and mildew grow. I'm highly allergic to it and it's no fun in that respect when I go to the movies.

I will, of course, go when Star Trek XI screens!
Oy, that sucks, sorry to hear that. I know that these exhibitors try to maximize profits and have to keep their overhead costs to a minimum, but any larger circuit, like AMC, REGAL etc. would be open to hearing your concerns, you should drop them an email!
Old November 14 2007, 09:33 PM   #51
The Transformed Man
Commander

View The Transformed Man's Twitter Profile

Matt said:
Man was my showing dark. AMC really needs to upgrade their screens and projectors. Talk about garbage.

I assume you were at the Ahwatukee 24... yes, I HATE AMC theaters, wish it could have been at a Harkins. Very disappointed with the presentation... waaaay too dark and they needed to crank up the sound, but I blame that on AMC... not CBS/Paramount.

Yancy
Old November 14 2007, 11:01 PM   #52
RAMA
Vice Admiral

OK I've read several posts on here, that state: "laughter at the expected places", and laughter when Spock yells "the women!". OK why did people laugh at that? I don't get it! He's simply stating the obvious fact that only the two women were taken, and not the 4 men of the landing party.

RAMA
Old November 14 2007, 11:26 PM   #53
Electric Coleslaw
Rear Admiral

RAMA said:
OK I've read several posts on here, that state: "laughter at the expected places", and laughter when Spock yells "the women!". OK why did people laugh at that? I don't get it! He's simply stating the obvious fact that only the two women were taken, and not the 4 men of the landing party.

RAMA
For me it's a combination of knowing the sexist attitudes of the 1960's and the fact that it's our supposedly non-emotion Spock getting upset because they took the babes!
Old November 14 2007, 11:43 PM   #54
Kelso
Vice Admiral

View Kelso's Twitter Profile

I had a ball. The theater was packed, everyone behaved themselves and even my wife enjoyed the experiance.

The crowd did get a bit rowdy during Vina's slave dance... but that is to be expected.
Kelso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15 2007, 12:04 AM   #55
22 Stars
Commodore

Electric Coleslaw said:
RAMA said:

RAMA
For me it's a combination of knowing the sexist attitudes of the 1960's and the fact that it's our supposedly non-emotion Spock getting upset because they took the babes!
I agree, how can anyone not react to that line? It's such a short, overy emoted (esp. for our non-emotional Mr. Spock)declaration/exclamation, and it does seem a bit dated and sexist in some wierd way.... Why would he yell, and why wouldn't he yell, Commander since the first officer and acting captain just got snatched?
Old November 15 2007, 12:13 AM   #56
Matt
Commodore

You know something, I've watched The Cage and The Menagerie dozens upon dozens of times, and I've noticed the bandage on the one guy's neck, and never thought anything of it, but on the big screen I saw the bandage on Tyler's hand, and I noticed Spock limping.

This must be from the battle on Rigel?

Really cool, considering most TOS episodes don't have reference to any other episode.
Old November 15 2007, 12:35 AM   #57
The Stig
Rear Admiral

I'm going tomorrow, really looking forward to it!

All we know is, he's called The Stig.
The Stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15 2007, 12:47 AM   #58
Blake
Commodore

Saw it in Birmingham uk.The screen was small but it was 2 thirds full The sound was mono and the pixels were there.But it still looked great.I saw Dracula 1958 a few weeks ago and it cost £2.50 Trek cost £10.00.The new effects and the trailer for the boxed sets looked mostly good,there was one shot of the Enterprise which we see from the side and the ship looked silver like a pc game Enterprise,they showed us this angle 3 or 4 times.But there was a matt painting style view of the starbase at night time which was stunning on the big screen.new fx Trek looks interesting some good effects and some average ones.
Fortunately i haven't seen "The Cage" and "The Menagerie" for a few years.
When i was watching the cage scenes it was annoying when they returning to the briefing room it interupted the flow of the cage.I've always loved The Menagerie particulary the ending when we see a healthy looking Pike on Talos 4.But this time i felt the ending was poor compared to the cage.Pike would go back to Talos 4 knowing that he would still be an invalid and living in a lifelong dreamworld,And the evil Talosians would still be feeding off him.This time the Talosians would get a human willing to be a slave feeding them every emotion going.Surely Captain Pike of the Cage wouldn't want to go back.No wonder the talosians went to so much trouble to get him back,when they were talking to kirk i imagined them snickering, they were very pleased to get him back.
Old November 15 2007, 01:09 AM   #59
propita
Rear Admiral

Saw it in Fresno, CA. Hubby asked, "Well, you're the fan. Do you want to go or not?"

Same laughter others reported:

- The print-out
- "The Women!"
- The shuttlecraft floating along in space (though it looked cool itself)
- Pike eyeing Vina as the green slave girl--really intensely
- Kirk eyeing Vina as the green slave girl--really intensely even though she was just on the monitor
- Kirk and the yeoman in Mendez' office.

So I have a few questions:

- Just when did Mendez become not-Mendez? The Talosians said "in the shuttlecraft." That means they were projecting DAYS away from Talos!
- Why does Mendez' yeoman always look so...confused? Air-headed? Something's just not right with that girl.
- Why was Kirk in such "improved HD" but neither the yeoman nor Vina were? Can we say "soft focus"?
- How did Spock communicate with the Talosians to set this all up in the first place?

Overall, very enjoyable. Audience was mostly over 30yo to 60s. Image was good--clear and bright. And I loved the new CGI shot through the dome of the bridge. It looked great, as did the rest.
propita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15 2007, 01:20 AM   #60
Matt
Commodore

Yeah when the Yeoman was like, "She described you." And he's all worried, "She described me?!??" Everyone erupted in laughter.