Retro Review: Profit and Lace
By: Michelle on Aug 16

Eve Engaged
By: T'Bonz on Aug 15

Shatner’s Get A Life DVD Debuts
By: T'Bonz on Aug 14

TV Alert: Takei Oprah Appearance
By: T'Bonz on Aug 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old November 14 2007, 06:50 AM   #16
Matt
Commodore

Re: Menagerie, re-mastered on the Big Screen

The people there were mostly 24-44. I'd say 85% male. A 50/50 mixture of bedraggled fat nerds who looked like The Collector from The Simpsons, and guys who dressed sharp and stylin'. The women were pretty normal, from what I could see. I don't know if there were any girls there alone. Mostly girlfriends and wives.

Seriously though, it was packed on a Tuesday night at an odd time. That has to say something.

"Star Trek" in 2008 is going to make a huge amount of cash.
Old November 14 2007, 07:11 AM   #17
Ryan Thomas Riddle
Rear Admiral

View Ryan Thomas Riddle's Twitter Profile

Just got back from the Century City (LA) showing. There was a gent dressed as a very convincing Vulcan, lobes, robes and all. Rod Roddenberry also showed up after the showing. In the viewing audience was Malachi Thorne (Mendez)and Bill Blackburn (Lt. Hadley). It was cool to see the original Trek on the big screen. The remastered effects look much better in a theater.
Old November 14 2007, 07:20 AM   #18
Jptrekker
Captain

Location: the marketing dept. of the Sirius Cybernetics Corporation

Just got back from the Portland showing. I think we had a better projector than some other cities, didn't recognize much bad pixelation.

It was interesting hearing where the laughs were--mostly at Shatner's expense: Kirk making eyes at the yeoman, several times, arguing with Mendez in office and in the shuttle. There were also laughs when Spock uses the nerve pinch and when McCoy asks "I keep wondering who could be following us in a shuttlecraft." Spock's emotions during the flashbacks also got chuckles.

I heard several oohs and aahs during the documentary when they first showed the non-cgi Enterprise fade to the CGI Enterprise.

The funniest part was at the very end when the presentation abruptly ended and we got the windows xp "Active Desktop Recovery" on the theater screen (got the biggest laugh of the evening, second was Shatner getting beaned with a Tribble just before during the S2 preview).

Overall lots of fun, about a 75% full theater, some comic shop guys, but mostly average people in street clothes, and a couple of TOS-Era uniforms and minis.
Jptrekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14 2007, 07:22 AM   #19
retrogradeloop
Captain

View retrogradeloop's Twitter Profile

I'm really glad to see it was so well attended elsewhere. Here (Antioch, CA) there were quite a few people but the theater was nowhere near packed. A very friendly atmosphere, with a few people in costumes which everyone enjoyed. My young niece thought it was quite entertaining--intentionally and unintentionally. At the end we were shocked to find out she did not know what a tribble was, so we have our work cut out for us.
Old November 14 2007, 07:26 AM   #20
Gary Mitchell
Admiral

I loved it. One thing I hadn't noticed before: I could see the bottom of Vina's feet while she was dancing and they weren't green. I guess it's just more obvious on the big screen.
Silly me, I thought that since they charged $12.00 to see this that maybe we'd get some kind of cheap little collectible or a program or something.
Old November 14 2007, 07:39 AM   #21
Ryan Thomas Riddle
Rear Admiral

View Ryan Thomas Riddle's Twitter Profile

^At my showing in Century City, there were CBS/Paramount reps who handed out posters to the kiddies (some adults snagged them as well). In fact, it seemed as if a lot of studio reps were at my showing.
Old November 14 2007, 07:48 AM   #22
InklingStar
Fleet Captain

View InklingStar's Twitter Profile

No studio reps in Olympia. The show was great though. It never looked better, and the sound mix was excellent as well.

I stayed for the remastered season 2 preview, but they didn't have anything that has not yet been shown. Oh well.
Old November 14 2007, 07:58 AM   #23
Cmndr J Crichton
Commodore

/\It was still neat seeing the clips on the big screen, though.
Old November 14 2007, 08:01 AM   #24
Indysolo
Fleet Captain

I'm just in from the AMC Burbank 16. I got 2 free passes out of the inept screening.

Our showing had people from StarTrek.com in attendance, in addition to many of the artists that work on the "Re-Mastered" project and even Bjo Trimble. I don't think anyone from the sound department was in attendance though. The screening was advertised as being in surround sound. We got it in glorious mono.....from the left front speaker the entire time! No one at the screening or the theater seemed to care. Through some fluke, the movie started re-playing after it ended ("One more time!") and we thought to get someone from the AMC staff in there to just check it out. They didn't seem to care and couldn't be bothered to check it out.

It really ruined the experience for me. I was looking forward to hearing the music play big and loud in the theater. Silly me. I did complain and was offered one free pass (this was a $12.50 event, which is more than standard ticket prices) so I asked for two passes and the employee agreed.

Our screening was "sold out" in that they weren't selling anymore tickets for it, but there were at lest 20-30 empty seats in the theater.

Neil
Old November 14 2007, 09:22 AM   #25
Dale
Vice Admiral

Ontario, CA screening here. Theater was about one-third full and the presentation was a little dark and the volunme was a little low (AMC, Matt, just like your experience). The Menagerie was not the best showcase for the new effects, IMHO... the old girl looked much better in the documentary beforehand and the preview afterward. I still think she looks fabulous on the big screen as-is (or as-was, as it were). Someone upthread said she looked like an ocean liner... I got that same feeling... lots of gravitas and heft to her.

There were precisely two costumes in my theater... a TOS sciences uniform and a TNG engineers outfit. I was planning to go in TOS captain's gold with my wife as a redshirt but she chickened out thinking we'd be the only ones and we didn't do it... then when I saw the uniforms walk in I said "See?! I told you!"

I think they could have chosen a better ep (or eps) to showcase TOS-R. The Doomsday Machine and The Trouble With Tribbles, for instance... both looked great in the S2 preview after the feature.

And yes, our audience laughed in all the same places as everyone else's... "The women!" of course (in fact there were titters in advance of the line as soon as the landing party stepped onto the pads)... and the paper printout got a big laugh, too. Seemed to be a very partisan, Trekkie crowd... which was hardly unexpected.
For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear. - 2 Timothy 4:3
Dale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14 2007, 09:25 AM   #26
STIntergalactic
Captain

View STIntergalactic's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to STIntergalactic Send a message via Yahoo to STIntergalactic

rgb1701 said:
The digital projector they used in our venue had FAR too little resolution- it was at most a 1024x768 XGA projector- I counted and estimated the pixels, which were easily visible from our seats. My home Epson Cinema 400 puts out more resolution and contrast than what they used. I looked back at the projection booth, and saw they used a boardroom-style LCD projector, sitting next to the (what I assume was) the film projector. I was expecting a commercial grade DLP or DILA, or 1080p LCD.
I'm going to the Livonia show on the 15th...and I think you just lowered my expectations. I'm not nearly as excited now.
STIntergalactic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14 2007, 12:33 PM   #27
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Saw it last night. There was a very cozy crowd of 25 or so mostly Trekkers in one of the multiplex's smallest theaters. In fact, I think my wife was the ONLY person who hadn't seen the episode before, so she was the only one commenting at the surprise plot twists. The people were relatively "normal", again suggesting that old preconceptions of what most Trekkers are like aren't really valid in the real world.

First the good: The best reactions were from the NEW CGI FX--lots of ooos and ahs--and also from the humor in the episode, preceding and following documentaries. The Enterprise looked and sounded great on the big screen. This, and a really good home theater is where TOS-R will shine. There were several shots where the big E looked as if it had come out of STTMP, but only with the classic design. It was wonderful.

The bad:

$25????? I thought it was supposed to be $9 for each person!!

While it didn't ruin my viewing much, the theater showed the movie in stereo!!!! instead of surround sound. The print looked pretty good, but they projected it on what appeared to be an older screen, and the surface was visibly rough...so the newly HD picture didn't quite have the effect it should have (and no it was not pixelation). I am positive the HD-DVD version will actually look better on my HDTV when I buy a copy.

Points of interest:

For what appeared to be mostly Trekkers, there were some odd moments of laughter. I thought everyone had seen this before already. Do people normally laugh at some of the outdated elements of the first pilot? It never really occurred to me.

The documentary was ok, though not informative. I would have liked to have seen more of the technical side of the restoration.

All in all, it was a good experiece. Some people clapped at the end. It was great seeing so much detail on the big screen. The bad paint jobs on some of the props, rough construction, and cheap look of some of production--all the more visible in this format--only added to the presentation for me. But this viewing only convinced me more that the new movie should look LESS faithfully like the original, and should really offer its own big budget vision.

RAMA
Old November 14 2007, 01:42 PM   #28
rgb1701
Captain

ST_Intergalactic said:

I'm going to the Livonia show on the 15th...and I think you just lowered my expectations. I'm not nearly as excited now.
Sorry for that

I think you'll have fun anyways.

To be fair, we sat in the first row of the "stadium seating" section- very close. To mitigate the screen door LCD effect, just sit halfway up the stadium seating area or farther. During motion (most of the show), the screen door effect was less noticeable.

Like other posters, the audio sounded mono at Livonia, too. I should have complained to get free passes like the other poster .

I won't go to another Fanthom (whoever produced this event) event unless I hear they've demonstrated improved technical standards (though my wife and average people had no issue with the picture). I get the impression Fanthom provided the projectors for this one off.

This is 2007, not 1999. Anything less than a 1080p projector in a commercial venue is inexcusable. Considering they touted the "HD" transfer, and then used a less-than-HD projector (1024 pixels across is less than even 720p at 1280 across!), is ridiculous. I had a 1024x768 LCD projector in my home theater back in 1999!

Touting HD and surround sound, and not delivering either, is not a good way to do these events or market a new format (HD DVD). This was basically an ad for the new HD DVD TOS box sets, which I linked to at Amazon earlier.

This further demonstrates the boondoggle that is HD, and in particular, the HD disc formats, HD DVD and BluRay, both of which I've boycotted for two reasons- the format war, and the DRM/usage restrictions.

If Paramount/CBS sold the Remasterd TOS sets on SD DVD for the current going rate of the TOS season boxsets (about $50-$60 street), I'd probably bite, assuming all the new extras are on the SD DVD's. But at $130 and higher for the HDDVD dual format sets? No way.

All that said, i like to throw Paramount/TOS a few commerical dollars once in a while, to show Paramount we still care and motivate them to put time and money into projects like the Remastered TOS and the next movie. But they need to be held to reasonable advertising and product standards.

Send feedback to Paramount/CBS and Fanthom over these advertised technical/product quality issues.

rgb1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14 2007, 02:16 PM   #29
Dave Scarpa
Lieutenant Commander

Saw the screening at the Cinemark last night, I have to say the quality was pretty piss poor, I think my VHS copy running on a old 25" Color TV would've looked better, certainly not worth the $27.50 paid. That being Said I still have to say after 40 years the show still holds up. I want to see the new team match the fun and excitement of that show. I was also amazed how well the planet of Talos IV looked on the big screen, that set was pretty amazing and I don't think they enhanced it at all. so A+ for Content, F for Presentation, they certainly won't sell any HD-DVD's with that presentation. Best part thou was at the end the Computer running it crashed with an Active desktop error, the crowd was screaming Buy Macs ! Priceless.
Dave Scarpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14 2007, 02:31 PM   #30
erastus25
Fleet Captain

rgb1701 said:
While I had fun watching Menagerie on a big public screen with other fans, I was disappointed with the "extras" and the technical presentation.

As far as I could tell, most of the "extras", except for Rodenberry's son, have been at

http://www.amazon.com/Star-Trek-Original...2461&sr=8-2

for weeks, which I watched weeks ago. Dingleberry, er, Son of Rodenberry, didn't say anything I hadn't heard before- he would have been interesting had he contributed new tidbits for us LONG time fans who've Heard It All.

The digital projector they used in our venue had FAR too little resolution- it was at most a 1024x768 XGA projector- I counted and estimated the pixels, which were easily visible from our seats. My home Epson Cinema 400 puts out more resolution and contrast than what they used. I looked back at the projection booth, and saw they used a boardroom-style LCD projector, sitting next to the (what I assume was) the film projector. I was expecting a commercial grade DLP or DILA, or 1080p LCD.

While the "remastered' FX were nice, the "restored" film elements were FAR from fully "cleaned up"- FAR too often I still saw dirt and scratches in the image, obviously from the original film media.

I would not buy into another of these events unless I was assured of the technical presentation quality, though it was fun to watch with appreciating peers .
I agree with almost all of these sentiments. I saw it at the Fenway theater in Boston and the resolution was either 1024x768 on an XGA or something near to it. As a result, the presentation was not any better than the remastered standard def DVDs already released by season. It also seemed exceptionally dark and I was disappointed that there were no new extra features. The sound was good though.

That being said, it was still worth my time. The Menagerie is the first Trek episode that I distinctly remember seeing when I was four or five years old. The Cage was also the first VHS I owned (a 7th year birthday present) back in the day. So, this particular episode has always held a special place in my heart. I also had the privilege of taking my girlfriend who is a newly converted Star Trek fan, and I think she was impressed with the number of fans and the positive output. Ultimately, despite the poor presentation the chance to enjoy one of my favorite episodes with my girlfriend and a number of Trek fans was well worth the price of admission.