TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

View Poll Results:
0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old November 3 2007, 12:08 PM   #1
M
Vice Admiral

Which of the series/movies need to be remastered?

Maybe this question came up before, but I just need to know (and I'm afraid that I know the answer). Because of the recent hype to remaster every single second of STAR TREK, which series or movie really NEEDS to be redone? I just want to know what real Trek fans think ...
Garak: »Especially the lies.«
M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3 2007, 02:03 PM   #2
ChristopherPike
Rear Admiral

Re: Which of the series/movies need to be remastered?

Ever since The Motion Picture came out on DVD, to my mind only The Final Frontier needed that kind of re-editing, new FX and reinstated material. Pretty much because to this day the theatrical print looks more like a rough cut shown to test audiences. Paramount should give Shatner a Director's Edition project to work on... keep him sweet, in the light of his non-involvement with Star Trek XI.

I can probably live with kind of HD upscaling I've seen the video age Trek broadcast in. Afterall, we're not talking about the kind of scratches and defects TOS suffered from. TNG/DS9/VOY have been converted to a digital format for quite a while now and most of the FX fit in fine with the movies.
Old November 3 2007, 02:46 PM   #3
Kegek
Rear Admiral

The Animated Series might look a lot better as a CGI-work without endless stock footage, TWOK could afford to lose its extensive cribbing from TMP, GEN in its cribbing from TUC and even the TV series (!). TFF for reasons that are obvious, and the Mona Lisa could be made a mite more photorealistic.

- All About Eve.
Kegek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3 2007, 04:55 PM   #4
DostoyevskyClone
Captain

Well, I'm one of those people who thinks that essentially every episode or film in Trek could benefit from remastering in one place or another (even if it is just to fix little things here and there). However, the only film that jumps out to me that *really* needs remastering is 'Generations' - I realize most of it is fine, but as Kegek said, the stock footage from TUC needs to go. Let's be honest though, some of the stuff in TOS movies is dated, so I'd remaster all of 'em.

As far as the series are concerned, I really do think TNG needs to be remastered. There are some BAD looking effects in the earlier seasons and there's still a lot of crap stuff in the latter seasons (the blob effect in 'Aquiel,' the ship flying out of the Dyson Sphere in 'Relics,' etc.)

Remastering the movies shouldn't be a problem - they could do like Star Wars did and release both the theatrical and remastered versions in the same case.

Someone probably needs to do a poll to determine how many people would buy TNG Remastered.
"Life is islands of ecstasy in an ocean of ennui, and after the age of thirty land is seldom seen. At best we wander from one much-worn sandbar to the next, soon familiar with each grain of sand we see..."

The Dice Man by Luke Rhinehart
DostoyevskyClone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3 2007, 08:06 PM   #5
Vanyel
The Imperious Leader

I voted for all of them except the Mona Lisa, but she could have a better smile.

Each series has its moments of inconsistent special effects some little some big. Like the reversed print in TOS, or the phaser from the torpedo launcher, or obviously reused battle scenes or the Bird of Prey being blown up the exact same way in two movies.
Vanyel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3 2007, 09:05 PM   #6
Rķu rķu, chķu
Fleet Admiral

View Rķu rķu, chķu's Twitter Profile

All Trek TV series (other than Enterprise) must be remastered to make them airable in HD.

For TOS, it's because the original effects were badly degraded (and, in some instances, simply suck).

For TNG, DS9 and Voyager: All effects (and editing) were done on videotape, which - by definition - is not airable in HD, since the native resolution of videotape is so low.

For TAS: Just take a wild guess. Would you want animation that looks that bad to show up anywhere near HD? A full-out CGI remake of the show would be a sight to behold. And they could even use the same voice tracks.

Enterprise is the only Trek series made from the get-go to be airable in HD.
Old November 3 2007, 11:25 PM   #7
JD
Admiral

I really think that TNG, and the second 3 movies could use some new effects. Most of them were good for the time, but now that it as been 20 years they are starting to look dated. As for the other series, and movies I think they still stand up pretty well today. Although I did forget to mark Final Frontier, simply because it is one of my two least favorite Trek movies.
Old November 4 2007, 07:30 AM   #8
blakbyrd
Rear Admiral

The Original Series
The Animated Series
The Next Generation
Deep Space Nine
The Search for Spock
The Voyage Home
The Final Frontier
blakbyrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5 2007, 12:22 AM   #9
T'Cal
Commodore

TNG. Start with the two-parters such as Encounter at Farpoint, Best of Both Worlds, Chain of Command, Unification, etc. Air them on Spike or the SciFi channel on Saturday nights. Then add the others and release them as an entire series boxed set.
Old November 5 2007, 02:53 AM   #10
Niemz
Lieutenant Commander

TAS!
Old November 5 2007, 03:17 AM   #11
FalTorPan
Vice Admiral

None of the series or films needs to be "remastered."

It will be interesting to see what happens when RHD (Really High-Definition ) becomes the next great thing. Will shows which were "remastered" for HD need to be "re-remastered" for RHD?
Old November 5 2007, 04:17 AM   #12
Bones1864
Admiral

some parts of star trek 2 and some parts of star trek 5 adn definityl;y Star Trek 6. we should have had a few more shots of the Enterprise-A in that film.
Bones1864 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5 2007, 11:04 AM   #13
M
Vice Admiral

FalTorPan said:
None of the series or films needs to be "remastered."

It will be interesting to see what happens when RHD (Really High-Definition ) becomes the next great thing. Will shows which were "remastered" for HD need to be "re-remastered" for RHD?

At least I am not alone with my opinion! Thanks, Admiral.

Bones1864 said:
some parts of star trek 2 and some parts of star trek 5 adn definityl;y Star Trek 6. we should have had a few more shots of the Enterprise-A in that film.
Wish I could remaster those two sentences.
Garak: »Especially the lies.«
M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5 2007, 10:49 PM   #14
Green Shirt
Rear Admiral

The Wrath of Khan could use some fixing. The Genesis proposal video is obviously quite dated, and the Genesis cave could use a more realistic matte painting.
Old November 5 2007, 11:24 PM   #15
ktanner3

Star Trek and The Next Generation scream "remaster me!". The original show had some god awful creatures that was so obviously people with masks and rugs on.(remember the creature in Devil in the Dark?). I know the special effects got updated, but unless some of those creatures got the CGI treatment I'll skip buying the remasterd episodes.

TNG could use a heavy dose of remastered as many others have pointed out already.