Retro Review: Profit and Lace
By: Michelle on Aug 16

Eve Engaged
By: T'Bonz on Aug 15

Shatner’s Get A Life DVD Debuts
By: T'Bonz on Aug 14

TV Alert: Takei Oprah Appearance
By: T'Bonz on Aug 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old August 10 2010, 11:25 PM   #511
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

Re: Let's Talk About Horror Fiction and Film

Spaceman Spiff wrote: View Post
There was some sad news last week about Dorchester Publishing, which produces the Leisure Horror line, including the bulk of paperbacks by Brian Keene and reprints of Richard Laymon's work. Paperback sales are down 25%, so in order to stay afloat, they're switching to an all-digital and print-on-demand model. I suppose it's good that these modern publishing options allow them to stay in business, but I'll miss seeing their paperbacks in stores. They've been around since '71.
I hope they can survive. Times are always tough for small publishers, and our little economic meltdown is only making things worse.

I got the new LIO collection in the mail, complete with that awesome Calvin & Hobbes spoof cover. Even the author photo and text poke a bit of fun at Watterson. Great stuff, as always.
I'll have to get that immediately. Amazon's recommendation feature has failed me; I didn't even know this was out.

Speaking of vampires, Marvel is releasing Tomb Of Dracula in a series of color TPBs. I just got the first volume for my Niece (she's been reading Twilight). If you haven't read this series, you should go for it; it's a classic. The first 50 or so issues, anyway.

Lastly, I took a recent trip to Michaels crafts, and I guess they start putting up their Hallowe'en stuff this early in the year. They had the usual stuff, including the Lemax SpookyTown additions for 2010. They made some really cool ones this year. I couldn't resist snatching up a few items.
I love the animated graveyards. And they have an Indiana Jones-style character now, too.
Old August 17 2010, 11:04 PM   #512
RJDiogenes

Good news for Larry Blamire fans: The Lost Skeleton Returns Again and Dark And Stormy Night are now available; my copies shipped this morning. I hope I have time to watch both this weekend.

I have no idea why Trail Of The Screaming Forehead is not on DVD yet.
Old August 19 2010, 06:04 AM   #513
Spaceman Spiff
Intrepid Explorer

Be sure to give us your official reviews, there. I have The Lost Skeleton of Cadavra, but I haven't gotten around to seeing it yet. Maybe in the next couple of weeks. I'll have to get that Tomb of Dracula.

Right now I'm reading King's DANSE MACABRE for the first time. I'm enjoying it so far. Between this and ON WRITING, I've really enjoyed his non-fiction work.

As for new purchases, here's my only real recent score. I read a tidbit about these Universal Horror novelizations from the '70s--that while all six books were credited to the "Carl Dreadstone" pseudonym, three were written by Ramsey Campbell. The combination of Universal and Campbell piqued my curiosity and I looked them up. His WOLF MAN is going for a good chunk, and DRACULA'S DAUGHTER can get pretty pricey, too. BRIDE can get up there, but a seller claimed to have it in "like new" condition for $10, so I had to go for it. It's obviously yellowed, being printed in 1977, but it's in remarkable shape. And from the teaser text, it looks to be a fun read.

That's about all I've got for this round. I'm making my way through the Pod of Horror podcast, which is a fun little show for horror lit. The focus is on new stuff, but everyone involved seems to know their stuff, and the host gets some good guests. Yesterday I listened to his interview with Peter Straub. Good stuff.

Last edited by Spaceman Spiff; August 19 2010 at 04:14 PM.
Spaceman Spiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19 2010, 09:53 AM   #514
RJDiogenes

Wow, I never heard of those Universal novelizations; those would definitely be nice to own.

I read Danse Macabre when it first came out. There's a lot of interesting information in there. King is very opinionated, and can be pretentious, but I guess he's entitled; let's just say I didn't always agree with him, though.

You should definitely take a look at Lost Skeleton. It's a funny and good-natured satire. Blamire also does an amusing series on YouTube called Tales From The Pub that spoofs genre anthologies; it has kind of a One Step Beyond vibe.

I'll Post my thoughts on the new DVDs as soon as I can.
Old August 19 2010, 04:24 PM   #515
Spaceman Spiff
Intrepid Explorer

The other three Universal horror novelizations credited to Dreadstone are THE MUMMY, CREATURE FROM THE BLACK LAGOON and THE WEREWOLF OF LONDON. Cool-looking little books, but Campbell says he didn't write them. I could see why he wouldn't want to write WEREWOLF OF LONDON after writing WOLF MAN.

The collector in me wants to try to get all of them, but Campbell's the tipping point. I'll probably try to get my hands on his other two entries, at least. The others, I'm not so sure. Campbell said he's not even sure who they got to write the others. And the CREATURE one is getting up there in price, like all things Gill-man related.
Old August 19 2010, 11:04 PM   #516
RJDiogenes

The prices are a little bit better at Alibris, for copies in "Very Good" condition. And if you've got an extra $500 lying around, they have a complete set, autographed by Ramsey Campbell.

My DVDs came today. Now I just have to stay home this weekend, tell everyone I'm sick and take the phone off the hook.
Old September 27 2010, 07:53 PM   #517
Spaceman Spiff
Intrepid Explorer

It's almost time to rename the thread again. Time just seems to go by more quickly.

I got my notification today that House of the Wolf Man has shipped.

As for reading, I'm two-thirds through the second entry in David Wellington's vampire series, 99 Coffins. This guy writes some fun horror with a breakneck pace. He's also pretty good at writing female protagonists.

Lastly, Elvira made her big return to TV on Saturday, playing Night of the Living Dead on the first episode of her relaunched Elvira's Movie Macabre. She was a lot of fun, with her framing shtick centered on cleaning out her old basement and prepping it for the new show.

Here's the new intro and local listings.
Old September 27 2010, 11:10 PM   #518
RJDiogenes

Wow, I had no idea that Elvira was back. She's syndicated in Boston, so I should be able to check her out this weekend. It ought to be interesting-- she's ten years older than I am.

Apparently my House Of Wolf Man has not shipped yet. Which may be a good thing. I doubt if I could resist watching it before Halloween if I get it too soon.

Speaking of David Wellington, Overwinter arrived a few days ago, so I'll have that for Halloween. Actually I'll probably start it as soon as I finish what I'm reading now.
Old September 28 2010, 04:15 AM   #519
Goliath
Vice Admiral

I'm glad someone necro'd this thread. (And what better thread to necro? )

I recently picked up the Val Lewton Horror collection, and was very impressed--especially by those films that starred Boris Karloff: The Body Snatcher, Isle of the Dead, and Bedlam. I'd never thought of him as a serious actor, but he gave a top-notch performance in each film.

I'm not sure if a modern viewer would find these movies very scary, but they were all top-notch B&W movies--especially considering how low-budget they were. They were all very stylishly made, and like their film-noir contemporaries, took very good advantage of their black-and-white photography.

I would definitely recommend them to fans of horror movies and classic movies alike.
Old September 28 2010, 07:32 AM   #520
Spaceman Spiff
Intrepid Explorer

Man, I could not agree more. That Val Lewton set is one of my favorites. Did you get the one that includes Val Lewton - The Man in the Shadows? I got my set pretty early on, so I had to buy it separately. It's a great documentary about Lewton and his movies.

I think The Body Snatcher is one of Karloff's best performances. He's just so evil in it, with nearly every line delivered with a smile. TCM showed it a couple of weeks ago and I intended to just give it a quick peek, but I wound up finishing the movie. It pulls me right in every time.

And while it's not really scary, it's got its share of chilling moments. A great example is when the singer's voice is cut off in mid-note. Yikes.
Old September 28 2010, 09:21 AM   #521
RJDiogenes

I love that set. His movies are stylish and surreal, like being pulled into a nightmare.
Old September 28 2010, 10:34 PM   #522
Goliath
Vice Admiral

Spaceman Spiff wrote: View Post
Did you get the one that includes Val Lewton - The Man in the Shadows?
Yes. Very interesting documentary.

I think The Body Snatcher is one of Karloff's best performances. He's just so evil in it, with nearly every line delivered with a smile.
Not only is it a very good movie, with a great performance by Karloff--it actually presents a surprising amount of historically-accurate information.

Every time I teach my 19th-century European history seminar, I have my students read Ruth Richardson's Death, Dissection, and the Destitute--a book about body-snatching, medical education, and the Anatomy Act of 1832. The movie could have been based on that book.
Old September 30 2010, 10:51 PM   #523
RJDiogenes

My copy of House Of Wolf Man shipped today, along with Curse Of The Full Moon, an anthology of short stories. Now I have to resist watching it for the next 28 days.
Old October 1 2010, 08:15 AM   #524
SilentP
Commodore

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to SilentP

Well I've just ordered Session 9 and Jacob's Ladder from Amazon, since I've heard that elements from both movies where technique and thematic inspirations for the Silent Hill series, so I'll see what they're like.

I've also been reading H. P. Lovecraft's Mountains of Madness Omnibus recently as well. Some of the stories are good, and nearly all of them surreal. However, one of the short ones (I can't remember the name of the top of my head) just fell completely flat for me.
SilentP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1 2010, 09:38 AM   #525
RJDiogenes

Not all of Lovecraft's work is top notch. I made the mistake of reading his entire set all at once, and it actually turned me off of Lovecraft for several years.