Cumberbatch To Voice Khan
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old December 3 2009, 12:28 AM   #481
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile
Re: Let's Talk About Horror Fiction and Film

RJDiogenes wrote: View Post
I wasn't able to come up with much in the way of Christmas Horror.
Not a fan of those Jack Frost films, then?
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3 2009, 12:34 AM   #482
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

Never heard of them, actually, but I'll check them out. If they're really good or really bad I'll probably like them.

In this case, I was specifically looking for written fiction, though, for Spiff's Holiday reading list.
Old December 3 2009, 12:52 AM   #483
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

Never heard of them, actually, but I'll check them out. If they're really good or really bad I'll probably like them.
I think they're more leaning towards "really bad", possibly intentionally so.

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3 2009, 01:15 AM   #484
RJDiogenes

Actually, that sounds vaguely familiar. Or maybe I'm thinking of a soup commercial.
Old December 7 2009, 10:35 AM   #485
Spaceman Spiff
Intrepid Explorer

A few years ago, I was at the computer while my roommate at the time was channel surfing. He stopped on a channel, watched it for a minute, then said, "Isn't Jack Frost that movie where Michael Keaton becomes a snowman so he can hang out with his kid?"

"Yeah," I said.

Another minute goes by. "Ugh! This snowman is killing people!"

I got Horror for Christmas in the mail on Friday. It actually looks like a decent little anthology. It's got a few big names in it from different periods, like W.W. Jacobs and Robert Bloch. Not bad for a cheap little used book.

I'm reluctant to put down Wolf Men, but it'll keep.
Old December 7 2009, 10:40 AM   #486
RJDiogenes

Hah. I wonder how many people order the wrong one from Netflix or whatever.

I'm determined to finish Rogue Moon before I start Wolf Men, but it's painful. Not recommended, very not recommended.
Old January 20 2010, 12:31 PM   #487
Spaceman Spiff
Intrepid Explorer

Happy New Year, horror thread.

Christmas and my birthday are pretty close together, and as usual, I got some pretty cool horror-related goodies.

Universal Studios Monsters: A Legacy of Horror - A pretty good book, though it's not nearly as exhaustive as Universal Horrors. It's more like a coffee table book, really. It's got lots of good information in it, but not really anything that isn't offered in Horrors. Big, pretty pictures, rundowns of each franchise--that sort of thing.

Heroes of Horror - This was a cool little surprise. It's a collection of A&E Biographies of Lugosi, Karloff, Chaney Jr., Lorre and Price. There are also collections of brief interviews, some trailers, etc. I watched them all in two days.

Karloff & Lugosi Horror Classics (The Walking Dead / Frankenstein 1970 / You'll Find Out / Zombies on Broadway) - By no means a "must-own" set; but I'd really wanted The Walking Dead. And if you enjoyed Frankenstein 1970, this is apparently one of the only versions to preserve the correct aspect ratio.

The Fantastic Films of Ray Harryhausen - Legendary Monster Series - Not quite horror, but hey, it's Harryhausen!

My silent horror collection was expanded a bit with The Golem and Faust. KINO always knocks it out of the park with these sets. The Faust one is especially impressive and feature-packed.

The William Castle Film Collection - I've mentioned this set previously in the thread; now I'm glad to own it. It's a nice, compact set.

Adrift on The Haunted Seas: The Best Short Stories of William Hope Hodgson - I enjoy Hodgson's nautical weird tales, so this one's a no-brainer. Apparently, one of the stories was the basis for Matango, mentioned a few months ago.

Bumper Crop, by Joe R. Lansdale - Lansdale is great, and this is a cool little collection of short stories.

Top it all off with the last couple of Hellboy and The Walking Dead comic trades, and I made out pretty well.

In addition to the goodies, after a goof-up with our TV bill, we got some discounts on our current viewing package, so we decided to upgrade to the one that includes Turner Classic Movies. It's great to have it back after going without for a few years, and it's even better with TiVo. Yesterday I watched The Most Dangerous Game and enjoyed it.

I was surprised to see how much it was a precursor to King Kong. It had cast members like Fay Wray, Robert Armstrong and Noble Johnson, was written by James Ashmore Creelman, and had Merian C. Cooper and Ernest B. Schoedsack behind the camera.

It even used a lot of the same sets, most noticeably in the jungle scenes. They even go so far as to cross the famed log over the gorge.

It also used a few of the same camera tricks, like tracking runners through the jungle.

It's a short little movie, at just over an hour, but it was a cool little bit of education on the lead-up to one of the most famous movies of all time. And it had a cool, pulpy, "big knife in one hand, babe in the other" feel.
Old January 20 2010, 03:14 PM   #488
FluffyUnbound
Rear Admiral

The funny thing about Jack Frost is that I always think it's going to be the movie where Jeff Goldblum is a mental patient who may or may not be the devil - and I turn it on, only to find this snowman shit.

Zombies and Ancient Rome...two great tastes that taste great together.
FluffyUnbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20 2010, 11:50 PM   #489
RJDiogenes

Spaceman Spiff wrote: View Post
Happy New Year, horror thread.
Sounds like you're definitely having a Happy New Year.

Heroes of Horror - This was a cool little surprise. It's a collection of A&E Biographies of Lugosi, Karloff, Chaney Jr., Lorre and Price. There are also collections of brief interviews, some trailers, etc. I watched them all in two days.
That sounds great. I love the A&E Biographies.

Karloff & Lugosi Horror Classics (The Walking Dead / Frankenstein 1970 / You'll Find Out / Zombies on Broadway) - By no means a "must-own" set; but I'd really wanted The Walking Dead. And if you enjoyed Frankenstein 1970, this is apparently one of the only versions to preserve the correct aspect ratio.
Heh. I remember seeing Frankenstein 1970 when the title implied modernity. It would be quite a trip down Memory Lane to see it again.

My silent horror collection was expanded a bit with The Golem and Faust. KINO always knocks it out of the park with these sets. The Faust one is especially impressive and feature-packed.
I've got The Golem, but I'm not familiar with Faust. I'll have to take a look at that.

In addition to the goodies, after a goof-up with our TV bill, we got some discounts on our current viewing package, so we decided to upgrade to the one that includes Turner Classic Movies. It's great to have it back after going without for a few years, and it's even better with TiVo. Yesterday I watched The Most Dangerous Game and enjoyed it.

I was surprised to see how much it was a precursor to King Kong. It had cast members like Fay Wray, Robert Armstrong and Noble Johnson, was written by James Ashmore Creelman, and had Merian C. Cooper and Ernest B. Schoedsack behind the camera.

It even used a lot of the same sets, most noticeably in the jungle scenes. They even go so far as to cross the famed log over the gorge.

It also used a few of the same camera tricks, like tracking runners through the jungle.

It's a short little movie, at just over an hour, but it was a cool little bit of education on the lead-up to one of the most famous movies of all time. And it had a cool, pulpy, "big knife in one hand, babe in the other" feel.
Good eyes you've got there. Most Dangerous Game wasn't a precursor to King Kong-- it was filmed at the same time, with cast and set overlaps-- Kong by day, Game by night. I love that movie. It's one of my favorite short stories, and this is a good adaptation; sure they changed it, but who can complain about Fay Wray? I was always amazed that this movie was released so long before Kong was. It was one of the first movies I owned on VHS, and one of the first I owned on DVD.
Old January 21 2010, 02:19 AM   #490
Spaceman Spiff
Intrepid Explorer

Good eyes you've got there. Most Dangerous Game wasn't a precursor to King Kong-- it was filmed at the same time, with cast and set overlaps-- Kong by day, Game by night. I love that movie. It's one of my favorite short stories, and this is a good adaptation; sure they changed it, but who can complain about Fay Wray? I was always amazed that this movie was released so long before Kong was. It was one of the first movies I owned on VHS, and one of the first I owned on DVD.
I guess it makes more sense for them to have been filmed at the same time.

I was thrown by the gap between them, but now the reason for Kong's delay seems obvious: Much of Willis O'Brien's animation had to be done in post-production.
Old January 21 2010, 05:09 AM   #491
Kegg
Rear Admiral

I've got The Golem, but I'm not familiar with Faust. I'll have to take a look at that.
It's an indulgent but beautifully shot film by F.W. Murnau of Nosferatu fame, with Emil Jannings as Mephisto. Excellent film, though I'm not sure if I'd call it horror (granted, Mephisto gets some creepy expressionistic moments, and then there's the plague, and... hmm.)
Old January 21 2010, 10:26 AM   #492
RJDiogenes

^^ Actually, the plague part sounds a bit familiar. I may have seen it a long time ago.

Spaceman Spiff wrote: View Post
I was thrown by the gap between them, but now the reason for Kong's delay seems obvious: Much of Willis O'Brien's animation had to be done in post-production.
That's true. And they had pretty slow computers in those days.
Old January 21 2010, 11:31 AM   #493
Spaceman Spiff
Intrepid Explorer

Did you ever crack open Wolf Men?
Old January 21 2010, 11:46 PM   #494
RJDiogenes

I did indeed! I read the Hugh B Cave and the Manly Wade Wellman stories. Both were excellent, especially Manly Wade Wellman; I love his stuff. This one really had that early 20th Century charm, as well as several interesting ideas. The Cave story was only vaguely Werewolfian, but still good.

At that point, I got distracted by the holidays and didn't read much besides magazine articles and my new Bloom County book for a while. Then I was in a Hard SF mood, so now I'm reading Polaris by Jack McDevitt.

When I'm done with that, I'll probably go back to the Werewolves.
Old February 2 2010, 10:57 PM   #495
Spaceman Spiff
Intrepid Explorer

Today I finally received The Wolf Man Special Edition. It's finally the correct DVD, so it feels like the end of a saga. Maybe I'd better check the discs to make sure they're not blank or anything....

I also received Jonathan Maberry's novelization of The Wolfman remake. Of course, now they say there's a Kindle edition, so I could have saved some shelf space. Ah, well. It's weird that Amazon sent me a copy, but now it's only available from other sellers. Maybe it sold out unexpectedly?

I don't normally go for novelizations, but I so enjoyed the Ghost Road Blues/Pine Deep trilogy and Patient Zero from Maberry that I thought I'd give it a shot.

The latest Rue Morgue has a couple of articles on the new movie, but it's also got a sidebar about House of the Wolf Man. It sounds like they're still looking for a distributor. Hopefully, the coverage in the magazine will lead to that.