The Next Generation Shower Curtain
By: T'Bonz on May 1

Burton Part of Roots Reboot
By: T'Bonz on May 1

May-June 2015 Trek Conventions And Appearances
By: T'Bonz on Apr 30

Ross To Attend Trek Convention
By: T'Bonz on Apr 29

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy All your nerd stuff goes here.

Old October 30 2007, 11:47 PM   #31
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

Re: Hallowe'en Reading 2007!

^^ That sounds interesting.

And Night Shift is definitely recommended. Stephen King was always better at short stories than novels, and that collection shows him at the peak of his powers.
Old October 30 2007, 11:57 PM   #32
Spaceman Spiff
Intrepid Explorer

Where movies are concerned, last night I watched Haxan. If you haven't see it, it's an interesting early documentary with some downright creepy visuals. Very Hallowe'eny. I may have to make an avatar from it.

I thought I might find a good Caption This! image from it, but no dice. I'm a bit stumped for the Golden Cthulhu this year.
Old October 31 2007, 03:05 PM   #33
DBR
Vice Admiral

I read Dark Harvest over the weekend as well (I went and bought it, because it turned out not to be a book I picked up over the summer).

It moved fast. I'm not sure if I loved the run and gun style, and it certainly left me hungry for a little more info and back story about some of the characters and the town, but it was an enjoyable little book.
Old October 31 2007, 08:50 PM   #34
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

View Starbreaker's Twitter Profile

I was actually planning on reading Something Wicked This Way Comes... but I might be going with some Stephen King tonight.
Old November 1 2007, 04:32 PM   #35
RJDiogenes

The Willows was great. And it was kind of blustery outside, which helped the ambiance.
Old November 1 2007, 10:25 PM   #36
Leroy
Fleet Captain

On Halloween I have a tradition of reading Edgar Allan Poe stories, especially before going to bed, with the Tell-Tale Heart being one of my favorites.
Leroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2 2007, 11:54 PM   #37
Spaceman Spiff
Intrepid Explorer

It seems a shame to let this thread drop away. I wonder if we should rename it to something like "Let's talk about horror novels" or maybe just bump this old thread.

What do you guys think?
Old November 3 2007, 08:18 PM   #38
Brendan Moody
Vice Admiral

Spaceman Spiff said:
It seems a shame to let this thread drop away.
I agree. It's not like the forum is exactly overburdened with discussion of literature. I'm all for renaming the thread to something more general.
Old November 5 2007, 10:09 PM   #39
RJDiogenes

I'm up for more Horrorification.
Old November 11 2007, 01:09 PM   #40
RJDiogenes

Spiff! Mummy: Dark Resurrection finally shipped!
Old November 11 2007, 10:02 PM   #41
Spaceman Spiff
Intrepid Explorer

Re: Let's Talk About Horror Fiction

Here's our new thread title. If you think of something better, let me know.

I'm halfway through The Wolf Man: Hunter's Moon. So far, it ranks between the Dracula and Frankenstein DHPress novels.

I'll post more about it soon.
Old November 11 2007, 10:49 PM   #42
Brendan Moody
Vice Admiral

I'm trying to branch out a bit into lesser-known (to me, anyway) writers of post-Lovecraft horror. First on the list are T.E.D. Klein and Ramsey Campbell.

Klein has quite a following despite a tiny oeuvre, his entire output over thirty-plus years consisting of ten (very) short stories, five novels, and one novel. I have the novel and a collection of the four of the novellas coming in the mail sometime soon. Last week I read his short fiction collection Reassuring Tales, which includes nine of the short stories and the other novella. I posted a review of it at my LiveJournal here. In brief: a slim but highly readable collection.

Ramsey Campbell is far more prolific, with nearly thirty novels and about a dozen short story collections over a four-decade career that's still going strong. Lovecraft expert S.T. Joshi considers Campbell the best writer of weird fiction in the modern era. Right now I'm working my way through his collection Alone with the Horrors, covering his short stories from 1961 to 1991. So far what comes through most is his talent for integrating psychological and social problems into his fiction without seeming crass or destroying the mood of haunting uncertainty that his delicate prose creates. I also have Campbell's novel The House on Nazareth Hill, and am considering picking up the recent Millipede Press reprint of his serial killer novel The Face That Must Die.

Speaking of Millipede Press, fans of off-beat, extremely psychological horror might want to have a look at their recent reprint of Roland Topor's The Tenant. Topor blends social anxiety and gradual supernaturalism in a genuinely unsettling short novel. This edition also includes four of Topor's short stories, some of his rather creepy artwork (that's one of his own pieces on the cover), and an introduction by Thomas Ligotti.

I'm still working at H.P. Lovecraft's Favorite Weird Tales. Last night I read M.P. Shiel's "The House of Sounds," an excellent story of a decaying family and their unusual dwelling-place. As that plot outline would suggest, it's reminiscent of Poe's "Fall of the House of Usher," but it's got weird narrative conceits of its own and a particular florid style that simultaneously disturbs and hypnotizes the reader with its tangled syntax and flashes of poetic alliteration. Difficult to get into, but a classic once you're caught up in the flow.

Finally, there's New Tales of the Cthulhu Mythos, edited by Ramsey Campbell. I haven't started it yet, though I've previously read Stephen King's "Crouch End," about a couple who get lost in a suburb of London and find their way into another world entirely.
Old November 14 2007, 12:28 AM   #43
Spaceman Spiff
Intrepid Explorer

I've read quite a bit of Ramsey Campbell; I read a lot of horror anthologies, and he pops up a lot in those. (I recently picked up the Stoker award-winning Dark Delicacies, and it's not surprise that he's in there.) His short stories are almost always good, and I keep meaning to read some of his novels.

Speaking of collections, Penguin's recently released American Supernatural Tales. It's got a few stories that are bound to be repeats for most of us, like The Call of Cthulhu and The Fall of the House of Usher, but it's got lots of others, like Robert E. Howard, Ambrose Bierce, etc. At 512 pages, it's a good collection of authors from various time periods.

Actually, it may be of particular interest to you, Brendan. It's not Lovecraft-themed, per se, but it's got a lot of Lovecraft Circle-type stuff in it. Glancing at the Table of Contents:

August Derlith's The Lonesome Place
Clark Ashton Smith's The Vaults of Yoh-Vombis
T.E.D. Klein's The Events at Poroth Farm
Thomas Ligotti's Vasterian

There might be some I'm missing. I just noticed that Norman Partridge has a story in there. I didn't spot that when I picked it up.

It's a sharp little book, like most of the Penguin Classics. I'm sure that some of the ones I've mentioned here are repeats for you, given your preferences, but if you want a cool little book that's got them all together, it's for you.

On a totally different note, RJDiogenes, while reading the (kind of dull) Wolf Man: Hunter's Moon, I looked up the original film on Wikipedia and discovered that Universal's planning a remake to be released in 2009. They've already cast Benicio Del Toro as Larry Talbot (it surprised me at first, but he's got a skinny Chaney Jr-ish look to him, come to think of it), and Anthony Hopkins as Sir John Talbot.

Crazy, huh? I'm torn, but intrigued. They've got Rick Baker doing the make-up; given his interviews on The Wolf Man Legacy Edition DVD, I'm sure he banged the door down for the job.
Old November 14 2007, 01:23 AM   #44
RJDiogenes

Hunter's Moon is released? I must have forgotten to order it. It must be languishing in my shopping cart.

Now that you mention it, I remember reading about the Wolf Man remake. I have a vague recollection of the article including comments by the writer or producer and that he got about a half a dozen facts about the original movie all wrong. Not encouraging.

By now, I'm sure everyone's seen the previews for The Mist. I have no idea if it will be any good or not, but I know that the story is one of my all-time favorite Stephen King tales, from back when he was in his prime and at the peak of his powers. I sigh fondly, thinking back to the early 80s and picking up Kirby McCauley's Dark Forces anthology and being totally blown away by it. I checked to see if they might be releasing it as a stand-alone in connection with the movie and sure enough, they did.

If you haven't read it, you should grab it.
Old November 14 2007, 01:40 AM   #45
Spaceman Spiff
Intrepid Explorer

Michael Jan Friedman is the author. It's okay, and he captures Chaney, Jr.'s performance well enough. The prose is kind of clunky (not that I'm expecting a Wolf Man novel to be lyrical), but it fits well into the films, taking place between The Wolf Man and Frankenstein Meets the Wolf Man.

He makes attempts to explain some of the weird things about the film, like why Bela turns into an actual wolf, while Chaney maintains a more human form.

The biggest complaint I have is that not much happens. There's no transformation until almost 140 pages in, and it's only a 235-page book. That isn't to say that it needs lots of transformations to be interesting, but not a whole lot happens until then.

Like Shadow of Frankenstein, some of the descriptions of gore took me out of the world of the Universal Monsters. It doesn't go into extreme territory with that, but definitely more than the movies. But, to be fair, that'd be true with any blood at all. Of the three I've read, Shadow is still my favorite.