New Star Trek Funko Pop! Vinyl Figures
By: T'Bonz on Nov 26

QMx Mini Phaser Ornament

Stewart as Neo-Nazi Skinhead

Klingon Bloodwine To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old March 8 2009, 10:39 PM   #271
Spaceman Spiff
Intrepid Explorer

Re: Let's Talk About Horror Fiction and Film

I've got to get those Eerie and Creepy volumes. I'm hoarding cash a bit right now, but hopefully I'll be able to get them soon. I've been re-reading The Goon lately, as evidenced by my avatar. I just like Powell's drawing style; it inspires me to get to the drawing board.

I've been concerned about Weird Tales for a while now, too. At least they're able to adhere roughly to their schedule, though. Issues of Cemetery Dance are few and far between.

Wildside bought the rights just a few years ago, right? Hopefully, if times get too hard for them, they'll sell the rights to a more organized press.
Old March 8 2009, 10:49 PM   #272
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

The Goon is great.

Yeah, Weird Tales is the only Wildside Magazine that maintained anything like a regular schedule. Lovecraft and Adventure have both been delayed and erratic. Their planned Sherlock Holmes and cat-fantasy magazines were canceled before they came out and the stories published in paperback form instead (which is better than nothing, but I would have preferred the periodicals). As you say, other small press mags like Cemetery Dance are just as volatile. It's a shame.

The Creepy and Eerie books are great; you should move to the East Coast so I can loan you stuff.
Old May 19 2009, 10:19 AM   #273
Spaceman Spiff
Intrepid Explorer

So have we read any horror since our last update?

I've been keeping to mostly modern stuff of late, just to get in touch with what's going on in the market. I've got some interest in writing for it, so I figure it's a worthwhile exercise.

The last one I finished was Pet Sematary, which I've had forever and hadn't read. I think it was one of the stronger King novels I've read. Through all these years I've managed to somehow avoid spoilers, having waited to see the movie until last week, so I had a pretty pure experience with it. It's pretty solid stuff from King's heyday, the dread slowly ratcheting up throughout the pace of the novel.

I also read Patient Zero by Jonathan Maberry, which was an interesting "zombie virus as terrorist bioweapon" idea, but it almost reads more like a police/counter-terrorism procedural than horror, which I wasn't expecting. If you're into that sort of thing, you'll probably like it. I'm not too big on it, though, so I didn't have as much fun with it as with Maberry's "Pine Deep" trilogy, which is much more straightforward horror.

It's well-done on a technical level, and feels like something thoroughly researched, thus made to seem as plausible as possible. I just don't really need my zombies to be plausible.

Before that it was The Graveyard Book, by Neil Gaiman. Between liking just about anything Gaiman does and the premise (a baby is raised by ghosts in a graveyard, hence the title similarity to The Jungle Book), I knew I'd enjoy the heck out of it. I was right.

I finally got to Johnny Gruesome by Gregory Lamberson, which I think I mentioned somewhere upthread. I've heard it described as an '80s horror flick in book form, and I think that's pretty apt. In fact, I'd love to see a film adaptation done in that style. It's a lot of fun. It's shown up on this year's list of Stoker nominees, which surprises me, because I assumed the print run was pretty low, and I've never seen it in any store. But apparently it got enough recognition for the Horror Writers Association to give it the nod.

Looking at past nominees now, I can see that they often award authors printed by smaller publishers, which is cool.

What's everyone else been reading?
Old May 19 2009, 10:31 AM   #274
ITL
Vice Admiral

Necroscope: The Lost Years Volume II by Brian Lumley.
Got it in a charity shop for 50p.

Old May 19 2009, 11:04 AM   #275
Spaceman Spiff
Intrepid Explorer

What'd you think of it? I see that series all over the place, but I've never read any of it.
Old May 19 2009, 11:12 AM   #276
ITL
Vice Admiral

I have a soft spot for the Necroscope series. It's not for everyone, though. Lumley can get a bit carried away with the explicit, visceral (literally, at times) horror stuff, but I think that the wild metaphysical side of it is great reading. The vampire legend is explored and expanded a great deal over the entire series - and there are many books in the series - and I find it compelling, exciting stuff.
Old May 19 2009, 05:28 PM   #277
Brendan Moody
Vice Admiral

Right now I'm reading Mr. Gaunt and Other Uneasy Encounters, John Langan's debut collection. Langan's story "Technicolor" was one of the best in Ellen Datlow's tribute anthology Poe, so I was looking forward to this one, and it hasn't disappointed. The first two stories, "On Skua Island" and "Mr. Gaunt," are top-notch classic horror stories with a few modern touches, while "Tutorial" is an unsettling satire on (of all things) the closedmindedness of creative writing professors and "Episode Seven" is a post-apocalyptic story with ferocious wolves, giant flowers, and a plague. I'm only a few pages into the final story, but it's promising so far.
Old May 19 2009, 11:50 PM   #278
RJDiogenes

Pet Sematary was indeed excellent, and a prime example of King's work when he was at the height of his powers. Sort of an expanded novel version of "Monkey's Paw." Horrific and disturbing. The Graveyard Book sounds interesting; that's quite an original idea.

Since I last Posted here, Weird Tales extended their moratorium on submissions to Memorial Day. Hopefully, next week I will be able to submit "Coyote Crosses The Ocean." They also have a couple of things on their website-- a very short form format and a contest-- that they are accepting submissions for. Luckily, the person in charge of story submissions is not the same as the person in charge of poetry submissions; I submitted "The Last Talbot" and never got a response, either to the submission or my follow-up inquiry. But the poetry guy is also the advertising guy, so I know first-hand how disorganized and unreliable he is.
Old May 30 2009, 10:09 PM   #279
Spaceman Spiff
Intrepid Explorer

It's not displayed on the site yet, but I just got the latest Rue Morgue (#90) in the mail, and it's got a great Harryhausen tribute.

Here's a sneak peek.
Old May 31 2009, 11:10 AM   #280
RJDiogenes

I'm planning to make another try for New England Comics today, so I'll see if they have it. Rue Morgue should actually be on my list, anyway; it's a good magazine.
Old May 31 2009, 12:48 PM   #281
Pingfah
Admiral

Looks like an interesting magazine, kinda like Fangoria for adults?
Old May 31 2009, 01:27 PM   #282
RJDiogenes

That's a pretty good description. It doesn't focus on blood and gore; it's more about style and creativity. It's not really a retro mag, but it holds on to that feeling of late night Creature Features and Drive-In Movies.
Old May 31 2009, 07:53 PM   #283
RJDiogenes

No Rue Morgue yet; it should be in next week, if it's on a four-week schedule.
Old May 31 2009, 10:02 PM   #284
Spaceman Spiff
Intrepid Explorer

I like it a lot. It's a little pricey at $10 an issue, but that's why I subscribed--it knocks it down to about $6.

The thing I like about it is that it covers the entire genre pretty well. If you're a horror fan, there will be something in it for you. There's always the big cover feature--last month's was Drag Me to Hell, the one before it was about Lux Interior of The Cramps--then you have upcoming DVD releases and reissues. They also cover horror books, music, comics, video games etc. And even a lot of the ads are great, leading you to websites you might not have known about, etc.

And its website design is fantastic. Check out Rue Morgue Radio!

Last edited by Spaceman Spiff; June 1 2009 at 12:03 AM.
Spaceman Spiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31 2009, 11:52 PM   #285
RJDiogenes

Groovy. "Tune in, turn on, drop dead."

It's pretty cool, so far. Music, interviews-- just like a regular radio station, only... horror! I've got to turn Neil at Shattered Corpse on to this, if he doesn't already know.