Horse 1, Shatner 0
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Drexler TV Alert
By: T'Bonz on Jul 26

Retro Review: His Way
By: Michelle on Jul 26

MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old November 11 2008, 10:38 AM   #256
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

Re: Let's Talk About Horror Fiction and Film

Spaceman Spiff wrote: View Post
I'm enjoying it. After stumbling onto Jay Stephens's blog, I caught the third episode, and I've been watching ever since. Your description is pretty apt. The Alex Toth influence is obvious, and it pretty much looks how those old shows would with modern animation techniques. And hey, cryptozoology.
Yeah, an old show with modern animation was exactly what I was thinking. And I heard them say "crypto" in reference to some power the kid has. The hairy guy appears to be Sasquatch, but the lizard appears to be a regular Komodo Dragon. Interesting....

Reading back on his blog, you can see that a lot of work went into the show. I think it pays off, and I hope the ratings are decent enough to keep it going. When I first tuned in, I was half afraid it was going to be busily winking at the audience, but it plays it straight for the kids, which is cool.
Yes, I always like it when they play it straight. Postmodernism is cute, but way overdone, and often makes it feel like the creators are embarrassed. I also like it when they can successfully play it on both levels, like in Kim Possible (speaking of which, I have to remember to check on something-- I'm pretty sure the wife is voiced by the same actress who does Shego).

Edit: I just remembered that the first couple of episodes are re-airing sometime this week--I have TiVo set to get them. In case you want to start from the beginning.
That might have been yesterday; I think I caught the end of a block. I'll check the listings....
Old November 11 2008, 08:49 PM   #257
Spaceman Spiff
Intrepid Explorer

RJDiogenes wrote: View Post
Yeah, an old show with modern animation was exactly what I was thinking. And I heard them say "crypto" in reference to some power the kid has. The hairy guy appears to be Sasquatch, but the lizard appears to be a regular Komodo Dragon. Interesting....
Well, a lot of it is sort of "cartoon" cryptozoology. They make up a lot of creatures, drawing some from folklore, and some from imagination. Fiskerton (the hairy guy) is described as a "gorilla-cat," for example. Komodo has chameleon-like abilities, represented in the classic "drawn with white lines = invisible" method.

Reading back on his blog, you can see that a lot of work went into the show. I think it pays off, and I hope the ratings are decent enough to keep it going. When I first tuned in, I was half afraid it was going to be busily winking at the audience, but it plays it straight for the kids, which is cool.
Yes, I always like it when they play it straight. Postmodernism is cute, but way overdone, and often makes it feel like the creators are embarrassed. I also like it when they can successfully play it on both levels, like in Kim Possible (speaking of which, I have to remember to check on something-- I'm pretty sure the wife is voiced by the same actress who does Shego).

That might have been yesterday; I think I caught the end of a block. I'll check the listings....
I checked TiVo last night, and the first two eps are airing tonight at 6 PM.
Old November 12 2008, 12:08 AM   #258
RJDiogenes

^^ Actually, I think they were on this morning. They showed a two-parter back to back; it was called "The Kur Stone" and it felt like the setup. There are also two episodes on tonight, which I'm recording. I hope you didn't miss the pilot.
Old November 12 2008, 12:12 AM   #259
Spaceman Spiff
Intrepid Explorer

They might have been. TiVo has made me lazy about remembering when crap's on. Every time I turn it on, there are surprises.

For that post, I checked the listings on the Cartoon Network site. So they're at least showing two eps tonight. I don't know if those are the two-part premiere; I just assumed.

"The Kur Stone" is the pilot, though.
Old November 12 2008, 12:16 AM   #260
Pingfah
Admiral

In movie news, after all this time, Hammer Films has wrapped filming their first new release since 1976's To the Devil a Daughter. I just spotted this last night:
Still grieving the death of nine-year-old Alice – their only child – at the jaws of a crazed dog, vet Patrick and pharmacist Louise relocate to the remote town of Wake Wood where they learn of a pagan ritual that will allow them three more days with Alice. The couple find the idea disturbing and exciting in equal measure, but once they agree terms with Arthur, the village’s leader, a far bigger question looms – what will they do when it’s time for Alice to go back?
After getting the snickers out over the title, I have to say that it sounds a whole lot better than what I was expecting out of this new incarnation of Hammer. The plot sounds like something the original studio would have made, and it doesn't sound as formulaic as a lot of modern horror.

Dare I hope?
Well, it stars Timothy Spall which is a very good start. Its not a guarantee of quality by any means, but he is an excellent actor and brings something good to everything he appears in.

Old November 12 2008, 12:24 AM   #261
RJDiogenes

I'll cross my fingers that Tivo got the right ones.
Old November 12 2008, 12:39 AM   #262
Spaceman Spiff
Intrepid Explorer

Pingfah wrote: View Post
Dare I hope?
Well, it stars Timothy Spall which is a very good start. Its not a guarantee of quality by any means, but he is an excellent actor and brings something good to everything he appears in.
I hadn't caught that before. That is good news. Spall would actually be right at home in some of those old Hammer films. Come to think of it, Sweeny Todd got its fair share of comparisons to those movies.

Obviously, I hope it's good, but it'll be even better if this new incarnation of Hammer develops a stable of solid actors, like the old studio. Actors are a little more worried about getting typecast these days, but I miss that sort of feel.

I'll cross my fingers that Tivo got the right ones.
It probably did. The description had the episode numbers. 101, 102, etc.
Old November 16 2008, 10:55 PM   #263
RJDiogenes

^^ Major development Friday night.

I have just ordered The Shadow Out Of Time, the third in the Dark Adventure Radio Theater series from the Lovecraft Historical Society. I just got an email from the guy today saying that it would ship tomorrow, so I should be able to tell you about it later in the week; but I expect it to be just as good as the other two shows and their movie.
Old November 18 2008, 02:30 AM   #264
Spaceman Spiff
Intrepid Explorer

^^ Major development Friday night.
It's an interesting one. I don't really look for spoilers, but I kind of knew it was coming in some form or another for a while from this early promo shot in Jay Stephens's blog.

It's funny, looking at the Secret Saturdays label on it shows a pretty long history behind the development of the show. Man, it takes a long time and a lot of effort to get one of these things going. Heck, the toy line won't be out until Fall 2009.

I have just ordered The Shadow Out Of Time, the third in the Dark Adventure Radio Theater series from the Lovecraft Historical Society. I just got an email from the guy today saying that it would ship tomorrow, so I should be able to tell you about it later in the week; but I expect it to be just as good as the other two shows and their movie.
I definitely want to hear about that.

I'm almost done with Blood Red. I'm really enjoying it. It's got a Salem's Lot feel to it, while distancing itself enough from it to keep it from feeling like a retread. It's no classic of the genre, but it's a good read.

I downloaded the Kindle version of The Horror Stories of Robert E. Howard last night, and I was surprised (and pleased) that it includes the illustrations.
Old November 18 2008, 10:49 AM   #265
RJDiogenes

It's an interesting one. I don't really look for spoilers, but I kind of knew it was coming in some form or another for a while from this early promo shot in Jay Stephens's blog.
Ah, so he's on the team; I was expecting him to have "helpful outsider" status. What surprised me, though, is that there is no young female character. Kind of an oversight these days.

It's funny, looking at the Secret Saturdays label on it shows a pretty long history behind the development of the show. Man, it takes a long time and a lot of effort to get one of these things going. Heck, the toy line won't be out until Fall 2009.
It's gone through quite a few changes, too, according to that Wiki page. It's kind of encouraging, though, that the toys won't be out for a year; that means they have a commitment to it.

I definitely want to hear about that.
I've traded a few emails with the guy there over the past couple of days. Either he works 24/7 or it's a home business, or both. He seems like a nice guy and the HPLHS is definitely a labor of love.

I downloaded the Kindle version of The Horror Stories of Robert E. Howard last night, and I was surprised (and pleased) that it includes the illustrations.
Nice. I love it when they do that. I don't have that one yet-- the one I have is The Black Stranger-- so I added it to my cart.
Old January 11 2009, 11:03 AM   #266
Spaceman Spiff
Intrepid Explorer

Weirdly, I thought I was the last one to post in this thread. Maybe I got started on it, then had to dash out.

Here's a quick rundown of the horror stuff I've read since the last post.

Blood Red was a solid read. Nothing terribly groundbreaking, but it was fun and held my attention. It had shades of 'Salem's Lot, as I said, with a couple of interesting original bits.

For one, the main vampire is quite a bad guy, yet weirdly likable. Not really in an antihero sense, but you get the idea that he's simply doing what's in his nature to do, and if anyone manages to stop him, he'll be pleasantly surprised. Like F. Paul Wilson's Midnight Mass, James A. Moore includes both feral, creepy vampires as well as the intelligent Dracula types, and comes up with explanations for which way they turn out. In fact, the main vampire is in the process of experimenting with his progeny in the hopes of eliminating that feral nature altogether.

Speaking of vampires, I recently watched the recent-to-DVD Sundown: The Vampire in Retreat, and it was fun. It's a horror-comedy from 1990 about a town in the West populated by vampires who are using thick clothing, sunglasses, sunblock and artificial blood in the hope that they can adjust and eventually reintegrate into society. Naturally, there's also a group of vampires who oppose such an idea, and the two groups collide in what's basically a vampire western.

It's surprisingly well-shot and scored, with a beautiful transfer. It's got Bruce Campbell as the latest in the line of Van Helsings, and David Carradine as Dracula. That's technically a spoiler, but 20 minutes in, they say "Count Mardulak ... or should I call you by your real name?" so it's not a huge one. Besides, one of the selling points is that not only is David Carradine playing the same role his father did House of Frankenstein / House of Dracula, but it's the only film I can recall where Drac's the hero.

I also have a weird personal connection to this flick, but that might be a story for another post.

To round out the rest of the horror books I've read since the last post:

Infected: A Novel by Scott Sigler. This was an intense little read, and one of my favorites of the year. It's about these spores that infect people and turn them into murderous lunatics. At first glance, that sounds like a 28 Days Later scenario, but there are no zombies here. The book follows poor, poor Perry Dawsey from the moment of his infection to the inevitable results. Some parts of this book were just brutal, but it was quite a page-turner, and Sigler's not afraid to go straight for pulp. He's sure to get a 2008 Stoker nomination for this one. He just put out a sequel a few weeks ago--Contagious--which I'm looking forward to reading in hopes that it's a similarly jarring read.

I re-read The Stupidest Angel: A Heartwarming Tale of Christmas Terror for the holidays and enjoyed it just as much as I did the first time. I've enjoyed everything I've read from Christopher Moore, usually laughing aloud at least once per novel. If you want literary horror-comedy, he's got some great ones. Bloodsucking Fiends: A Love Story was fun, and I'm looking forward to reading its sequel, You Suck: A Love Story. You also can't go wrong with his first novel, Practical Demonkeeping.

A couple of days ago I finished Darkly Dreaming Dexter by Jeff Lindsay, just because I like the show so much, and I was curious about the source. It's pretty good, and an interesting parallel to the show. I'd say the show is slightly better, though. It's one of those rare cases where the adaptation took the material and improved on it while remaining faithful.

Yesterday I started on The Taken by Sarah Pinborough, which has the makings of a decent ghost story.
Old January 11 2009, 12:40 PM   #267
RJDiogenes

It's got Bruce Campbell as the latest in the line of Van Helsings, and David Carradine as Dracula.
Nuff said. That goes right into the Shopping Cart.

I also have a weird personal connection to this flick, but that might be a story for another post.
What a freakin' tease. If you tell me about your weird personal connection to Sundown, I'll tell you about my weird personal connection to Blood Scarab.

Well, this reminds me that I never Posted about how much I loved The Shadow Out Of Time episode of Dark Adventure Radio Theater (it looks like it's out of print, but it's not; you're buying it from the Lovecraft Historical Society via Amazon). Well, not surprisingly, it was as great as their other CDs and their DVD of Call Of Cthulhu. I'll just quote my Amazon review:

"The Lovecraft Historical Society has done it again-- The Shadow Out Of Time is a wonderful adaptation of classic Lovecraft. Like its two predecessors, it's done in the style of the old radio shows that I love; it's a show that should have existed called Dark Adventure Radio Theater. These HPLHS guys are so good at this I wish they could do it on a weekly basis. Certainly one of the multitude of channels on Sirius or XM has room for a program like this. Ah, but I digress. The Shadow Out Of Time is a very faithful adaption of the original story-- at 77 minutes long, nothing is left out (that I noticed) and only minor changes were made to bring HPL's prose off the page and into the mouths of the actors for the sake of the dramatization. Neither vocabulary nor syntax has been sacrificed in this labor of love; everything is 100% Lovecraft. If you're a fan of either HPL or Old Radio Shows, or both, you will love this CD (and its myriad of enclosures, such as a newspaper clipping, a page torn from a British medical journal et cetera). In fact, if you haven't already done so, I recommend that you also get the previous two Dark Adventures and HPLHS's silent-movie adaption of Call Of Cthulhu as well. Great stuff!"

Seriously, I can't recommend the HPLHS stuff enough. They are pure gold for the Classic Horror fan.
Old January 11 2009, 05:34 PM   #268
Brendan Moody
Vice Admiral

Here's what I've read since I last checked in.

Just After Sunset by Stephen King. This is King's latest collection. He's always been at his best in the short story form, and his previous collection Everything's Eventual was perhaps his best, so I was really looking forward to this one. It didn't quite meet my expectations, but it's a fine collection with a nice range of stories. There are understated, romantic ghost stories ("Willa" and "The New York Times at Special Bargain Rates"), short, dreamlike pieces ("Harvey's Dream" and "Graduation Afternoon"), action suspense stories ("The Gingerbread Girl" and "A Very Tight Place"), and a number of unclassifiable works. All these stories are well-crafted and do what they set out to do, and King has a good eye for character these days, but only a few are truly impressive. Among these is the Lovecraft-Machen homage "N.", a long paranoid horror story that manages to blend the styles of those two authors with King's own more immediate prose. It's the best story in Just After Sunset, and a great horror tale in its own right.

Alison Lurie's Women and Ghosts is an interesting little collection of psychological ghost stories with female protagonists. Lurie has a simple, clear prose style that's appropriate to classical ghost stories. There's not a lot here that's novel, but ghost stories need style rather than novelty, and Lurie has it.

Ellen Datlow's new anthology is Poe, a collection of stories in honor of the author's 200th birthday. These stories aren't cheap pastiche; they're loosely inspired by various works of Poe, but the authors went off in their own directions, producing a wide range of stories. My ridiculously long review is here; in brief, it's a strong collection with no duds and a couple masterpieces. Read it.

And then there's Gene Wolfe's An Evil Guest, which isn't really horror but which I mention because it has some interesting Lovecraftian elements. It's a slick, easy-to-read futuristic noir thriller, and worth a look if that convoluted premise excites you.
Old January 11 2009, 10:32 PM   #269
RJDiogenes

I definitely agree that King's greatest strength has always been the short story. I didn't know he had a new anthology out; I'll add that to my list. That volume of Poe homages sounds good, too.
Old March 8 2009, 10:11 PM   #270
RJDiogenes

The fourth CD installment of Dark Adventure Radio Theater is out from HPLHS; this episode is "The Shadow Over Innsmouth." I haven't had a chance to listen yet (probably tonight), but after the last three I have no doubt that it will be great.

Also today, I got the first volume of Eerie Archives. Classics to those who remember and better than new to those who don't. Creepy, by the way, is up to Volume 2.

Incidentally, I meant to Post an email I got from Wildside Press a while back, but I waited too long and it was purged. The essence of it is that HP Lovecraft's Magazine Of Horror has been "merged" with Weird Tales. The better to serve you. In other words, it's been cancelled and the excess inventory will be used in WT. WT is now not accepting submissions until the end of March.

This doesn't sound good. Even the major magazines are struggling, so I can imagine how bad it is for Small Press. To make matters worse, I've dealt with WT directly as a writer and an advertiser and they are incredibly disorganized behind the scenes. I'm worried about the future of the magazine.