Star Trek #39 Sneak Peek
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old October 19 2010, 03:01 PM   #1
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

They made me an offer I couldn't refuse.

Some of you may know my best friend, formerly of this board as donkey. About a half hour ago I was awoken to a text, then email that he and his wife had welcomed their third daughter, a healthy (and beautiful!!) baby girl to their family this morning.

Months ago, I'd called to say hi and catch up. I'd known they were expecting, but it was a supreme honor to be asked to be the godfather of their new child once he/she was born. Of course I accepted.

So now I find myself scouring wikipedia and google to learn all about what will be expected of me and such... Being that I am in California and they are in New York makes for an interesting dynamic, but I just wanted to share the happy news.

Are any of you godparents? If so, to what extent? What do you generally do for your godchildren, or more accurately, what is expected of you?
doubleohfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19 2010, 03:22 PM   #2
Pingfah
Admiral

Re: They made me an offer I couldn't refuse.

I am a godparent to my nephew Lewis, although I had actually forgotten until my sister reminded me, I tend to block out all memory of religious events.

It's not a fair question what I do for him though, as he is my nephew as well, so I do uncle-like things for him already. Were anything to happen to his parents, science forbid, I would have stepped in godfather or not.

Oh, and I met Donkey in New York once, nice guy!
Old October 19 2010, 03:36 PM   #3
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

Pingfaaaaaarrrgghh wrote: View Post
I am a godparent to my nephew Lewis, although I had actually forgotten until my sister reminded me, I tend to block out all memory of religious events.

It's not a fair question what I do for him though, as he is my nephew as well, so I do uncle-like things for him already. Were anything to happen to his parents, science forbid, I would have stepped in godfather or not.
That's awesome, and pretty much how I've felt about his two other kids. Granted, there's no shortage of family on either side in their family, but I've known donkey most of my life so we may as well be brothers.

Oh, and I met Donkey in New York once, nice guy!
I think that was in '06 or '07? I remember he called me up while I was home for the holidays and wanted me to come up to NY from DC to join you guys! I still regret that I didn't find a way to make that work out!
doubleohfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19 2010, 03:46 PM   #4
Solstice
Sexy Wizard

View Solstice's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Solstice Send a message via AIM to Solstice Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Solstice Send a message via Yahoo to Solstice

donkey is a cool dude, and his wife is very nice. Congratulations to both of them, as well as you, 005.
Solstice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 19 2010, 03:52 PM   #5
Jeff O'Connor
Commodore

View Jeff O'Connor's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Jeff O'Connor Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Jeff O'Connor

Congrats.
Old October 19 2010, 04:01 PM   #6
RoJoHen
Awesome

I am a godfather, and as far as I know, nothing is expected of me.
Old October 19 2010, 04:08 PM   #7
Finngle Bells
Vice Admiral

I'm the god father for one of my cousins. I was eleven. His mother is my godmother.
Finngle Bells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19 2010, 04:11 PM   #8
Let the Good Times Roll!!

I have three godchildren. In our family, that is taken fairly seriously. There's a big ol' process to go through with the church, and the ceremony itself is a pretty big deal.

I always remember birthdays, and always send Christmas cards (they all live in other cities). Two are grown and I have always made special efforts when I go home to see them and do something with them. I took my oldest goddaughter to the USC/Texas National Championship Game, for example.

My youngest just turned four, and I delight in buying her the noisiest, most obnoxious toys I can find. Her father is my best friend, so naturally I like to see him suffer. Her last birthday, it was a drum kit.
“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States...The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge'.” - Isaac Asimov
1001001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19 2010, 05:06 PM   #9
TheBrew
Vice Admiral

You are evil!

I would say be like an Uncle. Send cards and birthday/holiday presents.
For one of us could drink it all alone. Damn near.
TheBrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19 2010, 06:07 PM   #10
iguana_tonante
Admiral

My godfather was a cousin of my mother. Nothing was expected of him, except maybe a present for my birthday when I was a kid. For sure, he was never expected to care for my "spiritual upbringing".

I'm sure you will manage.
Old October 19 2010, 06:11 PM   #11
JohnChod
Captain

Depending on your religious persuasion, if you have any particular religious leanings, there can be some things you will have to do "church-wise." For Catholics, for example, Godparents are "supposed" to step in as guides "in the faith" if the parents are failing at it miserably!

Historically, I understand that Godparents and, in the event of the parents' death, potential guardians, were one and the same. That is not usually the case anymore and Godparents seem to have become almost more of an honorarium for the designee rather than an imparting of responsibility for the child.

Whether related bloodwise or not, I would think that behaving as an Uncle with the Godchild as the "most favored" niece (or nephew, as the gender may dictate in other cases) is acceptable.
JohnChod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19 2010, 06:18 PM   #12
ares93
Commodore

i havent even met my godfather in 14-15 years. he simply disappeared when i was a like four. maybe he went back to ethiopia. nobody knows... frankly, if that's the case, i not even sure he's still alive...
I find it extremely satisfying watching Jehovah's Witnesses through my window. After all, it takes an RFID lock, a titanium enhanced fireproof door and bullet-resistant glass to keep them out of the building.
ares93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19 2010, 06:40 PM   #13
ShamelessMcBundy
Fleet Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to ShamelessMcBundy Send a message via Yahoo to ShamelessMcBundy

I actually am a godparent, to my friend's son. Her and i have been through a lot together and when times were tough for her, it was me that kept her sane and pulled her out of those holes. Whenever i go over and see them, it seems that i'm the only one that can get the kid to listen.
Old October 19 2010, 07:54 PM   #14
ToysOnLayAway
Rear Admiral

I am a Godfather. Like others have said, nothing more is expected of me than if I were still just an Uncle or friend of the family. I do delight in getting him and his little brother toys and clothes for birthdays and Christmases, sharing experiences like Trick or Treating, and just generally playing with him and watching him grow up.
Old October 19 2010, 08:27 PM   #15
Shatnertage
Rear Admiral

View Shatnertage's Twitter Profile

Congratulations!

I'm an honorary godfather. My wife's cousin's eleven year-old son, who my wife is godmother to, decided he didn't like the godfather he'd been given (this was years before I was in the picture). Apparently GF's daughter, who is six, told godson to "go eff himself." When he complained to GF, all he got was, "Maybe you should" and a laugh. So he fired him and hired me.

Moral of the story? From my experience, don't let anyone tell the kid to "go eff themselves." Besides that, it's anyone's guess.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlOTRxt-dIw
Shatnertage is offline   Reply With Quote