RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 144,446
Posts: 5,672,351
Members: 25,617
Currently online: 351
Newest member: bernadisn

TrekToday headlines

Retro Review: Parallax
By: Michelle on Apr 17

New ThinkGeek Trek Shirts
By: T'Bonz on Apr 17

Star Trek Online Adds Voyager Actor
By: T'Bonz on Apr 17

Project Enterprise Campaign Debuts
By: T'Bonz on Apr 16

Star Trek Live In Concert Update
By: T'Bonz on Apr 16

Crofoot: Angel One And The Offspring
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Inner Light Screenwriter Brooklyn Appearances
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek #44 Comic Preview
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Mulgrew Chicago Appearance
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Her Universe Fashion Show Contest
By: T'Bonz on Apr 13


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old April 8 2015, 01:49 AM   #1
ConRefit79
Captain
 
ConRefit79's Avatar
 
Could ID Opening Sequence been made into a better film.

I did not like ST:ID. But thinking about the opening sequence has me thinking they could have made that story into a feature length film. It could have been like so many TOS episodes where they struggle to rescue some primitive people. In some ways it could have had that fish out of water quality we saw in ST:TVH. Then there's the potential drama between Kirk and Spock trying to forge a friendship.

Who knows, maybe they'll do something like that for the next one. Hollywood really needs to learn how to strike a balance between eye candy and story telling.
ConRefit79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8 2015, 02:05 AM   #2
BillJ
Admiral
 
BillJ's Avatar
 
Location: Covington, Ky.
View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: Could ID Opening Sequence been made into a better film.

Since I loved Into Darkness, I'd say it's unlikely.
__________________
Self-appointed Knight of the Abrams Table! - Thanks Marsden!
BillJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8 2015, 02:40 AM   #3
photon70
Lieutenant
 
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Re: Could ID Opening Sequence been made into a better film.

I think a Star Trek movie consisting of 2 or 3 unrelated away missions, with an 'A' story to tie them together would work very well.

The best way to watch Trek in my opinion is to play 2 or 3 of your favourite episodes back to back to back.

It would be great if somebody would come up with that style of script.
photon70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8 2015, 03:59 AM   #4
fireproof78
Fleet Captain
 
fireproof78's Avatar
 
Re: Could ID Opening Sequence been made into a better film.

As much as I enjoy ID (and I do, a lot), I can see the potential for expanding the concept from the first 20 minutes of a film to either a full length episode, and possibly a full length film, though I'm skeptical on the last part.

You certainly could introduce a more info dump of a sequence with Pike, debriefing Kirk and Spock after another mission, and describing this mission. That way you can bookend the film with Pike.

The above is not necessary, and you certainly can have Kirk going over the observation of the Nibiru natives and the established protocols. Once arrived, the volcanic situation can be problematic but not, threatening, though observation becomes more difficult.

As an added twist, you can have Nibiru be closer to Klingon space, or in disputed space with another power creating a tense situation where the Enterprise has to leave in order to prevent their contaminating the natives, while Spock tries to figure out a way to prevent the volcano from destroying them.

So, you can have the space action with the Klingons, and planet based action sneaking around. Could work.
__________________
Art, if it is successful, needs no explanation. Star Trek and Spock, if they are works of art, can be discussed. But finally the response comes in individual terms.
--LEONARD NIMOY
fireproof78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8 2015, 05:26 PM   #5
Kor
Vice Admiral
 
Kor's Avatar
 
Location: The First City of the Klingon Imperial Empire
Re: Could ID Opening Sequence been made into a better film.

This was a "James Bond intro" in my opinion, in that it was an exciting mini-story in itself, but had almost nothing to do with the rest of the movie.

And since I'm a James Bond fan, I find this perfectly OK.

Kor
__________________
"Set coordinates for the First City of the Klingon Imperial Empire." - Jean-Luc Picard, Sins of the Father
Kor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8 2015, 06:06 PM   #6
Dennis
The Man
 
Dennis's Avatar
 
Location: America
Re: Could ID Opening Sequence been made into a better film.

The concept from the first twenty minutes would have made a passable TNG film.

IOW,

__________________
"Russell T Davies is one of the best writers television has ever had, and I'm chuffed to bits to get the opportunity to work with him again.” - David Tennant
Dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8 2015, 06:34 PM   #7
Franklin
Rear Admiral
 
Location: In the bleachers
Re: Could ID Opening Sequence been made into a better film.

It wasn't a stand-alone story. I think it's purpose was to evoke the idea that Kirk and the crew had probably been in similar preposterous situations over the previous year, but this one took the cake. It set the table for Pike to finally have to admit Kirk wasn't ready for command when he got the Enterprise. The Kirk at the end of the movie would've never approached that situation on Nibiru the way Kirk did at the start of the movie.
__________________
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect. -- Mark Twain
Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8 2015, 06:46 PM   #8
Jedi_Master
Vice Admiral
 
Jedi_Master's Avatar
 
Location: A great place to live and visit
Re: Could ID Opening Sequence been made into a better film.

I don't think you could have stretched the story contained in the opening sequence very far - at most an hour. Beyond that it would have become lots of TNG - style discussion options and looking at charts and conferencing.
__________________
Why does what I put here even matter?
Jedi_Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10 2015, 05:14 PM   #9
Cyke101
Rear Admiral
 
Cyke101's Avatar
 
Re: Could ID Opening Sequence been made into a better film.

Franklin wrote: View Post
It wasn't a stand-alone story. I think it's purpose was to evoke the idea that Kirk and the crew had probably been in similar preposterous situations over the previous year, but this one took the cake. It set the table for Pike to finally have to admit Kirk wasn't ready for command when he got the Enterprise. The Kirk at the end of the movie would've never approached that situation on Nibiru the way Kirk did at the start of the movie.
This is precisely it. The opening scene was the start of Kirk's character arc for the movie. According to Pike and the Starfleet Tribunal (and no doubt many viewers), the whole Nibiru situation could have been handled with a lot more care and foresight, rather than the obvious seat-of-your-pants improvisation that Kirk employed. He tried that approach with the Vengeance ("Don't worry! We're at warp! Trust me!") and it cost him the lives of several crew members. It almost cost him the ship and all hands as well, and that's why he apologizes when it seemed all was lost.

The opening scene established Kirk's ineffective command style. It was also an indictment of ST09. His style was flashy, fun, immature, and ultimately messy; good cinema, but not ideal for command. It took the events of STID to teach him that lesson.
__________________
"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy
Cyke101 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 10 2015, 05:57 PM   #10
Franklin
Rear Admiral
 
Location: In the bleachers
Re: Could ID Opening Sequence been made into a better film.

Cyke101 wrote: View Post
Franklin wrote: View Post
It wasn't a stand-alone story. I think it's purpose was to evoke the idea that Kirk and the crew had probably been in similar preposterous situations over the previous year, but this one took the cake. It set the table for Pike to finally have to admit Kirk wasn't ready for command when he got the Enterprise. The Kirk at the end of the movie would've never approached that situation on Nibiru the way Kirk did at the start of the movie.
This is precisely it. The opening scene was the start of Kirk's character arc for the movie. According to Pike and the Starfleet Tribunal (and no doubt many viewers), the whole Nibiru situation could have been handled with a lot more care and foresight, rather than the obvious seat-of-your-pants improvisation that Kirk employed. He tried that approach with the Vengeance ("Don't worry! We're at warp! Trust me!") and it cost him the lives of several crew members. It almost cost him the ship and all hands as well, and that's why he apologizes when it seemed all was lost.

The opening scene established Kirk's ineffective command style. It was also an indictment of ST09. His style was flashy, fun, immature, and ultimately messy; good cinema, but not ideal for command. It took the events of STID to teach him that lesson.
Yep. And Spock apparently having a death wish of sorts, or at least a life crisis affecting his judgement, didn't exactly provide him with a stable first officer, either. Can anyone imagine Spock Prime of that time thinking it's a good idea to be sent down into a volcano on a cable to manually detonate essentially a bomb?
__________________
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect. -- Mark Twain
Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10 2015, 06:59 PM   #11
BillJ
Admiral
 
BillJ's Avatar
 
Location: Covington, Ky.
View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: Could ID Opening Sequence been made into a better film.

Franklin wrote: View Post

Yep. And Spock apparently having a death wish of sorts, or at least a life crisis affecting his judgement, didn't exactly provide him with a stable first officer, either. Can anyone imagine Spock Prime of that time thinking it's a good idea to be sent down into a volcano on a cable to manually detonate essentially a bomb?
To save an entire civilization? Yeah, I think Kirk and Spock of TOS would have pulled out all the stops.
__________________
Self-appointed Knight of the Abrams Table! - Thanks Marsden!
BillJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10 2015, 08:26 PM   #12
Dennis
The Man
 
Dennis's Avatar
 
Location: America
Re: Could ID Opening Sequence been made into a better film.

BillJ wrote: View Post
Franklin wrote: View Post

Yep. And Spock apparently having a death wish of sorts, or at least a life crisis affecting his judgement, didn't exactly provide him with a stable first officer, either. Can anyone imagine Spock Prime of that time thinking it's a good idea to be sent down into a volcano on a cable to manually detonate essentially a bomb?
To save an entire civilization? Yeah, I think Kirk and Spock of TOS would have pulled out all the stops.
On top of which, nuSpock's logic may be uncertain where the destruction of entire civilized worlds are concerned.
__________________
"Russell T Davies is one of the best writers television has ever had, and I'm chuffed to bits to get the opportunity to work with him again.” - David Tennant
Dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10 2015, 09:19 PM   #13
Franklin
Rear Admiral
 
Location: In the bleachers
Re: Could ID Opening Sequence been made into a better film.

Kirk Prime and Spock Prime probably would've pulled out all the stops to try to save an entire planet, but I doubt the plan in STID would've been their first choice. Of course, it may not have been the first choice in STID, either. I just have a feeling it was. Then again, it's not like TOS Kirk and Spock didn't find themselves in absurd situations. "Fools rush in...," and all.
__________________
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect. -- Mark Twain
Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10 2015, 09:39 PM   #14
Smellmet
Fleet Captain
 
Smellmet's Avatar
 
Location: Yorkshire!
Re: Could ID Opening Sequence been made into a better film.

Franklin wrote: View Post
Kirk Prime and Spock Prime probably would've pulled out all the stops to try to save an entire planet, but I doubt the plan in STID would've been their first choice. Of course, it may not have been the first choice in STID, either. I just have a feeling it was. Then again, it's not like TOS Kirk and Spock didn't find themselves in absurd situations. "Fools rush in...," and all.
I almost get the impression that the Enterprise rising from the water was included because of the Vengeance crashing into the water scene existed, or vice versa, in order to make a cool trailer for the movie.
__________________
'You are in a position to demand nothing sir, I on the other hand am in a position to grant... nothing'
Smellmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12 2015, 03:32 PM   #15
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral
 
Chemahkuu's Avatar
 
Location: United Kingdom
Send a message via Yahoo to Chemahkuu
Re: Could ID Opening Sequence been made into a better film.

Almost as if there was a large body of people who's entertainment was a priority in the designing of the scene *scratches chin* I guess we'll never know.
__________________
"But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake."
Chemahkuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:50 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.