TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old August 21 2007, 06:25 PM   #1
multitrek
Lieutenant

Maybe it's not a prequel or a reboot, but actually a sequel

To my knowledge, JJ Abrams never said it was a prequel or a reboot. He said he would respect canon.

What if it's not flashbacks we're talking about... what if Spock and crew just get young again in the 24th century for some reason... Starfleet needs it's best crew in history for some heavy mission... They even get a new Kirk out of dead Kirk's dna... No continuity problems there... No retro design conflicts... no actual reboot... no timeline limitations... No canon offenses... No absolute need to see old Shatner/Kirk... Could even include Shatner/Kirk with some explanation... Just new TOS adventures. This may seem far fethched... but so would have seemed Spock's rebirth on paper. New appearance of crewmembers could be explained by imprecisions in the genetic manipulations. New technique would restore or transfer old conscience, memories, experiences, soul.

We've seen similar clonage with Riker in TNG. Human conscience could be transfered in a robot in I Mudd, why not in a clone... Spock's conscience was even transfered in Trek 3...

And after that you can make new movies or series without the original TOS actors, without having to worry about connecting with Star Trek timeline at some point and without our knowledge that characters can't die because they'll show up in the 5 years mission in their future...

You can also be really futuristic... not retro futuristic...

Cloned TOS crew on the Enterprise NCC-1701-F or some other ship...

Ok... start throwing rocks at me.
multitrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21 2007, 06:28 PM   #2
John Picard
Vice Admiral

Re: Maybe it's not a prequel or a reboot, but actually a seq

Oh

my

GAWD.
Old August 21 2007, 06:38 PM   #3
LegionMk59
Ensign

I think if it is going to be different then a reboot or prequel the only thing that I think might work is that it is set in the Mirror Universe or in another parrallel universe which would leave it open for literally anything to occur and it would prevent the writers hands been tied when it comes to continuity..........However I do think this is a remote possibility.... I think it will be a rebooted prequel

FilmFlicking:
A film and Television Discussion Forum for all
LegionMk59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21 2007, 06:50 PM   #4
SeamusShameless
Commander

What if it's both a prequel and a sequel.

Kirk: Young... I feel young.
SeamusShameless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21 2007, 07:01 PM   #5
Dradin
Lieutenant Commander

multitrek said:
No canon offenses...
No, no canon offenses. But offensive to anyyone who has more than half a brain cell left.
Dradin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21 2007, 07:39 PM   #6
Joisey
Rear Admiral

Re: Maybe it's not a prequel or a reboot, but actually a sequel

multitrek said:
To my knowledge, JJ Abrams never said it was a prequel or a reboot. He said he would respect canon.

What if it's not flashbacks we're talking about... what if Spock and crew just get young again in the 24th century for some reason... Starfleet needs it's best crew in history for some heavy mission... They even get a new Kirk out of dead Kirk's dna... No continuity problems there... No retro design conflicts... no actual reboot... no timeline limitations... No canon offenses... No absolute need to see old Shatner/Kirk... Could even include Shatner/Kirk with some explanation... Just new TOS adventures. This may seem far fethched... but so would have seemed Spock's rebirth on paper. New appearance of crewmembers could be explained by imprecisions in the genetic manipulations. New technique would restore or transfer old conscience, memories, experiences, soul.

We've seen similar clonage with Riker in TNG. Human conscience could be transfered in a robot in I Mudd, why not in a clone... Spock's conscience was even transfered in Trek 3...

And after that you can make new movies or series without the original TOS actors, without having to worry about connecting with Star Trek timeline at some point and without our knowledge that characters can't die because they'll show up in the 5 years mission in their future...

Ughh! Not only is this bad, it DOES violate canon: On screen, Riker immediately phasers into oblivion his own clone, with Dr. Polaski's moral blessings. So, apparently, it is canon in the Trek Universe that cloning is soooo morally repugnant, that clones can be offed on sight.

Not exactly the kind of society that is going to turn to clones to save the day, IMHO. I mean, what are they spending all that money on Star Fleet Academy, training new officers, if they're just going to keep reincarnating the same old crew to save the universe?
Old August 21 2007, 07:43 PM   #7
multitrek
Lieutenant

Maybe Starfleet has the same kind of problem with new officers that we now have with new musical talent. I'd sure clone The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, AC/DC and Elvis right now.
Old August 21 2007, 07:48 PM   #8
Joisey
Rear Admiral

multitrek said:
Maybe Starfleet has the same kind of problem with new officers that we now have with new musical talent. I'd sure clone The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, AC/DC and Elvis right now.
While those groups certainly had merit on their own terms, it doesn't mean that everything that came after them wasn't worth listening to, either.
Old August 21 2007, 07:49 PM   #9
seigezunt
Vice Admiral

Location: Splashing on some Tiberius before a night on the town

ugh.

somebody get me a rock.
I am constantly surprised by the close-mindedness of some fans...this means change as well as a positive attitude. Without those things, how can we ever achieve that Trek future we enjoyed so much on TV? --Bjo Trimble
seigezunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21 2007, 09:02 PM   #10
Tom
Rear Admiral

Re: Maybe it's not a prequel or a reboot, but actually a sequel

multitrek said:

Bring Back Kirk is that you???????????????????????

LOL

Seriously though, NO, NO, NO

Owner - TrekUnited.com - Forum now re-open! click here
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21 2007, 09:03 PM   #11
Stardate
Fleet Captain

seigezunt said:
ugh.

somebody get me a rock.
here you go seigezunt a handsized rock
Ups! my mistake, it wasent a rock it was a hand grenade sorry
Old August 21 2007, 09:12 PM   #12
multitrek
Lieutenant

Ok...

Not the best idea I concur...

Just wanted to resolve all the possible paradoxes that may come with this movie.
Old August 21 2007, 09:22 PM   #13
multitrek
Lieutenant

By paradoxes I mean...

How come the bridge crew don't look the same they did (not the same actors)?
Why is the bridge different (if it is)?
Why does this bridge seem less advanced technologically than my home computer (if it is not different)?
Why is the Enterprise different (if it is)?
Why should we feel these people are in any danger? They'll eventually show up for the five year mission anyway...

Yes my idea stinks... but I'm not sure I like the paradoxes the alternative could bring either.

In my opinion, the best way to go would be CGI if they want to bring back younger Kirk and Spock. Remember that shelved game... Vulcan's fury or something. Imagine what could be done now. Star Trek Aurora is great by the way!
Old August 21 2007, 09:55 PM   #14
Balthier the Great
Fleet Captain

I want those two minutes of my life back.

*Summons Bahemut*
Sik him!
Old August 22 2007, 12:10 AM   #15
Dradin
Lieutenant Commander

multitrek said:
By paradoxes I mean...

How come the bridge crew don't look the same they did (not the same actors)?
Why is the bridge different (if it is)?
Why does this bridge seem less advanced technologically than my home computer (if it is not different)?
Why is the Enterprise different (if it is)?
Why should we feel these people are in any danger? They'll eventually show up for the five year mission anyway...

Yes my idea stinks... but I'm not sure I like the paradoxes the alternative could bring either.

In my opinion, the best way to go would be CGI if they want to bring back younger Kirk and Spock. Remember that shelved game... Vulcan's fury or something. Imagine what could be done now. Star Trek Aurora is great by the way!
It's a movie. These problems are - frankly - no problems. You could ask just as well why there is orchestra music in space. There's something called suspension of disbelief: you just accept that it all couldn't really work together in this way, but you ignore this to experience a (hopefully) good story.

Trying to explain every technical difficulty somehow actually hurts the suspension of disbelief, because it constantly reminds you that "yes, something is wrong, but we explain it away in some convoluted way." It always ends up making even less sense.
Dradin is offline   Reply With Quote