Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Art

Fan Art Post your Trek fan art here, including hobby models and collectibles.

Old January 16 2008, 07:19 AM   #76
Ziz
Commodore

Re: The Art of Star Trek: Reanimated - The Sequel

Ptrope said:
...I may also try out Silo for modeling him - I've never modeled anything organic.
*cough*

You forgot about this?

Ptrope said:

Last edited by Ptrope; May 16 2009 at 03:11 AM.
Ziz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16 2008, 02:51 PM   #77
Redfern
Commodore

Ah, Ziz, I see your point, but that is actually a "pre-made" figure called Victoria 3 available for download at the www.daz3d.com on-line store. However, I'm sure Ptrope customized it, adjusting feature controls and "injecting" morphs to help rid "her" of the "out of the box" look. But there is no "off the shelf" figure that remotely resembles Arex, so "he" will have to modeled from scratch.

Sincerely,

Bill

Freighter Tails: the Misadventures of Mzzkiti
Redfern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16 2008, 03:49 PM   #78
Ziz
Commodore

Ok. I just sit back and admire all this 3D stuff, while only possessing a basic working knowledge of it. All my modeling & sculpting skills are in the physical world rather than the virtual one.
Old January 16 2008, 06:43 PM   #79
Griffworks
Commander

Sorry to hear that, Ptrope. It at least reminds me that I've not backed up a lot of my files since July, so will do so today....

Don't guess we'll see a Horta as part of the crew in your STR 'verse, will we...?
Old January 16 2008, 07:28 PM   #80
Ptrope
Agitator

Ziz said:
Ok. I just sit back and admire all this 3D stuff, while only possessing a basic working knowledge of it. All my modeling & sculpting skills are in the physical world rather than the virtual one.
Yeah, Redfern said it pretty well - I'm a shameless user of other people's products when it comes to characters; I have no inclination to reinvent the wheel needlessly, in the same way that if I wanted to photograph a beautiful woman, I wouldn't go get married and have a daughter and then wait to see how she turned out .

I can model mechanical, inorganic shapes - not as well as many of our members here can, but well enough to do what I need, as with things like ship interiors and Endeavour. I'm also a real-world sculptor, though, so apps lke Silo and Z-Brush are where I'm going to be looking for organic modeling, since they allow one to treat models like virtual clay, and that's where I'll be expanding my skillset, hopefully. We'll see!
Old January 17 2008, 03:22 PM   #81
TrekMD
Lieutenant Commander

Send a message via AIM to TrekMD Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to TrekMD Send a message via Yahoo to TrekMD

Hey, this is very nice. Keep it up!
Old January 17 2008, 04:15 PM   #82
USS Jack Riley
Captain

Griff - OT - Does this mean you are back in country?

"Question: How many Imagineers does it take to change a light bulb?
Imagineer's Answer: Does it have to have a light bulb?"
USS Jack Riley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19 2008, 03:46 PM   #83
Griffworks
Commander

Yessir, I sure am. And still being ignored, it would appear.
Old January 19 2008, 03:56 PM   #84
Ptrope
Agitator

Sorry, Griffworks - I didn't mean to ignore you, I guess I just thought that was a rhetorical question . No, we probably won't see a Horta - "The Time Trap" didn't have one, and that's one of those things I can't see 'slipping' into a scene without being blatantly gratuitous.

Welcome back!
Old January 19 2008, 04:24 PM   #85
Griffworks
Commander

Thanks and thanks.

A shame about the Horta. I had hoped, obviously, as it's one I've always liked and I figured you would definitely it justice, if anyone here could. I know they're just "a rock", but I've been sort of obsessed w/the idea of seeing one in a comic or CG form ever since reading "My Enemy, My Ally" all those years ago.

And apologies.
Old January 19 2008, 07:39 PM   #86
Ptrope
Agitator

No problems!

And now, we wait - it's 1:37 PM, Saturday, January 19, and I just kicked off a 600-frame Poser animation of a simple walk-through of the briefing room, starting in the corridor outside. It's 400x230, full raytrace rendering, and it's probably going to be going for several hours ...

UPDATE: Well, it's been running for a little over 2 hours and has completed 40 frames - at this rate, it should run about 30 hours total. Unfortunately, I won't know until it's done what it even looks like - I guess I should've made it MPEG instead of AVI ... then, at least, I could open and review it. Ah, well, live and learn!

I just hope it turns out decently - I'm definitely a n00b when it comes to animation!
Old January 19 2008, 08:58 PM   #87
Rattrap
Commander

Griff-

Diane Duane also wrote two issues of the DC Trek comic (can't remember the issue numbers) in a story which was basically Kirk and Company caught up in "The Mouse Who Roared", which featured our favorite Starfleet Horta, Lt Narhat.

In it, one of the two alien races look essentially like large housecats, and one scene features one of them perched on top of him, while several more are rubbing their paws across him. In his thought balloon is, "I can just hear the Starfleet recruiter. 'Join Starfleet. See the universe. Meet interesting aliens... and have them use you as a scratching post.'"
Old January 19 2008, 10:31 PM   #88
Griffworks
Commander

Oh, man! That must be one of the later issues that I ended up missing. I've got a nearly complete run of the DC Comics Trek and would definitely have remembered something like that.

Narhat! Yeah, that's it. All I can remember is the whole "Ensign Rock" thing from the Romulan Commander. Man, I need to pull those books out again and re-read them, along w/the graphic novel, the title of which escapes me at the moment.
Old January 20 2008, 01:43 AM   #89
Redfern
Commodore

Rattrap said:

Diane Duane also wrote two issues of the DC Trek comic (can't remember the issue numbers) in a story which was basically Kirk and Company caught up in "The Mouse Who Roared", which featured our favorite Starfleet Horta, Lt Narhat.
I have those issues stored in the "spare" bedroom. I know where they are, it'd just take hours to dig through the accumulated "rubble" to reach them.

An amusing story and it was a hoot to see Naraht, but the art was, alas, sub-par. Naraht came off looking more like the top half of Ben Grimm's head including glowing EYES and tentacles! Looked more like a course stone sculpture of a Wellsian Martian.

Sincerely,

Bill

Freighter Tails: the Misadventures of Mzzkiti
Redfern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20 2008, 02:23 AM   #90
Sean_McCormick
Captain

Griffworks said:
Thanks and thanks.

A shame about the Horta. I had hoped, obviously, as it's one I've always liked and I figured you would definitely it justice, if anyone here could. I know they're just "a rock", but I've been sort of obsessed w/the idea of seeing one in a comic or CG form ever since reading "My Enemy, My Ally" all those years ago.

And apologies.
Well, in the fan series "Hidden Frontier" you can observe an entire team of hortas in action (in CGI)
Sean_McCormick is offline   Reply With Quote