Trek Ice Cube Maker and Shot Glasses
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

City on the Edge of Forever #3 Preview

TV Alert: Shatner TNG Documentary

Forbes Cast In Powers
By: T'Bonz on Aug 22

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Deep Space Nine

Deep Space Nine What We Left Behind, we will always have here.

Old May 5 2008, 05:39 PM   #991
chrisspringob
Commodore

Re: Niners Unite...around Babylon 5! - The Lost Threads

[quote=middyseafort;1607196]
Lindley wrote: View Post
Wasn't one of the short stories in Amazing Stories or the B5 mag about a Lyta and G'Kar adventure?
Yes. Here's a description of the short stories in question:

http://code7r.net/B5ShortStories.htm
chrisspringob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5 2008, 11:12 PM   #992
Smiley
Rear Admiral

Does either magazine still offer back issues, or is eBay pretty much the only option for buying the stories?

A Call to Arms is a decent story. I appreciate that it connects more to the show's arc than Thirdspace did. The new characters are not deeply detailed, but I get a good sense of who they are. Sheridan is used to full effect, but it seems like Lochley and Garibaldi are just there to place their trust in the president and do a little behind-the-scenes maneuvering. The ending is a blatant setup for Crusade, so it's not very satisfying. I just tell myself that JMS probably intended for the Excalibur group to find the cure sometime before too many died. The novelization is very light on anything not essential to the plot. While some may consider this a good thing, I wish it had more details and additional scenes.
Smiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6 2008, 05:38 PM   #993
chrisspringob
Commodore

Oh yeah, since we were talking about film roles for the B5 cast, and Pat Tallman's involvement in the Austin Power movies.....Michael York was in the Austin Power movies as well. Not quite a B5 castmember, but he did play "King Arthur" in A Late Delivery from Avalon. And he was also JMS's first choice to play Sheridan.

And Tamlyn Tomita (Takashima) was in the movie "Robot Stories":

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0301777/

a pretty good anthology of stories about robots.
chrisspringob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6 2008, 06:06 PM   #994
Harvey
Admiral

I've never heard of Robot Stories, but it looks like something that would be right up my alley.

Thanks, chrisspringob!

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6 2008, 06:52 PM   #995
Lindley
Moderator with a Soul

chrisspringob wrote: View Post
And Tamlyn Tomita (Takashima) was in the movie "Robot Stories"
She was also more recently in several episodes of Stargate SG-1 and The Day After Tomorrow.
Lindley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6 2008, 10:17 PM   #996
Harvey
Admiral

Lindley wrote: View Post
chrisspringob wrote: View Post
And Tamlyn Tomita (Takashima) was in the movie "Robot Stories"
She was also more recently in several episodes of Stargate SG-1 and The Day After Tomorrow.
She was also (breifly) in an episode of Stargate Atlantis' third season as the same character she played on SG-1 in two episodes.

Old May 9 2008, 06:57 PM   #997
Harvey
Admiral

A heads up to anyone who cares: The scriptbooks (including the volume 15 deal) are being extended until June 31, 2008.

Scriptbooks of the episodes not written by JMS are forthcoming, as well.

Old May 12 2008, 03:59 PM   #998
Smiley
Rear Admiral

I really enjoyed the novel Voices. The status quo does remain at the end, of course, but it offers a deeper look into some of the characters and events from the first two seasons. I've always liked Talia and Garibaldi, so using them as focus characters was cool. I feel like I understand the strange negotiations with Kosh and the VCR to some extent after reading the book, so the read was worth it just for that.
Old May 15 2008, 01:56 AM   #999
Spiritweaver
Ensign

I haven't read that book for a while, but I recall the story was pretty good. Lots of explanation marks if I recall. I thought the Talia Winters story was good-- I missed her after she left the show. Also you're spot on about the Kosh part. (I loved Vorlons when the show was around.)

I wouldn't say this was my favorite of the book, but it was a fun and interesting read.
Spiritweaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15 2008, 10:37 PM   #1000
hxclespaulplayer
Commander

Zathras: [To Sinclair:] You are The One who was! [To Delenn:] You are The One who is! [To Sheridan:] You are The One who will be! [To Sinclair:] You are the beginning of the story, [to Delenn:] and the middle of the story, [to Sheridan:] and the end of the story, that creates the next great story! In your heart, you know what Zathras says is true! [To John and Delenn:] Go now! Zathras' place is with The One who was! We have --- a destiny!
And just about every line in the S5 intro (which was magnificently created, may I add!)
hxclespaulplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2008, 01:36 AM   #1001
Jan
Commodore

Hirogen Alpha wrote: View Post
Scriptbooks of the episodes not written by JMS are forthcoming, as well.
The first volume of Babylon 5: Other Voices is now available to order. As with the 14-volume set, the books are discounted $10 off the usual price of $39.99 for the first week (through May 21). This volume includes:

"Born to the Purple" by Larry DiTillio
"The War Prayer" by D.C. Fontana
"DeathWalker" by Larry DiTillio
"Believers" by David Gerrold
"Survivors" by Marc Scott Zicree
"Grail" by Christy Marx

and as a special bonus, the David Gerrold outline for a proposed episode,
"Laser-Mirror-Starweb" is included in this volume. Never made as an episode,
this story was later used as a two-issue arc in the Babylon 5 comic books.

And for those interested, I've done the Script-DVD variations for each episode, too.

Jan
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2008, 04:20 PM   #1002
Smiley
Rear Admiral

Accusations is a decent murder mystery, but I have a couple of problems with it. First, the ending is pretty unsatisfying. A lot of the Earthdome side of the plot is left unresolved, and the murderer of Wallace's assistant is not a character that we met in the novel, just part of a group. Another beef is with the cover art. G'Kar is not in the novel in person or in spirit, so why is he in the top spot on the cover? I don't expect absolute fidelity to the novel text from the cover art, but I do expect it to make sense and not be false. I haven't been this disappointed with a cover choice since Dooku appeared on the cover of The Cestus Deception.
Old May 21 2008, 10:54 PM   #1003
PKTrekGirl
Arrogant Niner Thug

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to PKTrekGirl

By the way, gang...I'll not close this one yet, but Neroon, you might want to consider starting a new thread...

Or do we care about threads over 1,000 on the new board?

Star Trek XI - "You know, if you have ten extra sombreros lying around, I have an idea on how to improve your current avatar..." - Samuel T. Cogley
PKTrekGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6 2008, 04:54 PM   #1004
Smiley
Rear Admiral

I've now finished with the third book, Blood Oath. It's a decent adventure story, but it definitely feels like its been done before. Vornholt's Narns come off as little different from Klingons, even though there are a few cool world-building details in the book. Al Vernon was obviously not what he appeared to be, but I thought he was a particular person in disguise instead of an agent of that person. My biggest problem is that the show gives us zero indication that G'Kar has or had a wife. It seems like that would have come up sometime after the sacking of Narn or during the struggles that followed. The first two books feel firmly entrenched in the B5 universe, and I think they could have easily "happened," but I have to consider the third an out-of-continuity (Elseworlds/Infinities/whatever) story.
Old June 6 2008, 04:58 PM   #1005
Ryan Thomas Riddle
Rear Admiral

View Ryan Thomas Riddle's Twitter Profile

Smiley wrote: View Post
My biggest problem is that the show gives us zero indication that G'Kar has or had a wife. It seems like that would have come up sometime after the sacking of Narn or during the struggles that followed.
G'Kar's mate was mentioned briefly in "The Gathering" when he tries to broker the DNA deal with Lyta. In the series proper, it was apparently dropped. I don't know why.