Cumberbatch As Turing
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Retro Review: In the Pale Moonlight
By: Michelle on Jul 19

Trek Beach Towel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 18

Two New Starships Collection Releases
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Deep Space Nine

Deep Space Nine What We Left Behind, we will always have here.

Old August 22 2007, 11:40 PM   #31
PKTrekGirl
Arrogant Niner Thug

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to PKTrekGirl
Re: Niners Unite...around Babylon 5! - The Lost Threads

Neroon said:
I generally take it to mean that it's a fact of life that we all change. To fight against it and to dwell upon it is to figth the inevitable, so just accept it and move on. You don't have to forget those friendships, but neither do you need to hold on to them desperately
Actually, in some cases I wish I *could* forget them.

Star Trek XI - "You know, if you have ten extra sombreros lying around, I have an idea on how to improve your current avatar..." - Samuel T. Cogley
PKTrekGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23 2007, 05:39 AM   #32
Mal
Rear Admiral

PKTrekGirl said:
We need to catch up! It's been a while! Like what? 3 or 4 years??? Hard to believe!
i was going to say, "no way," but then i realized that it actually has been that long where does the time go???

Can not run out of time. There is infinite time. You are finite. Zathras is finite. This is wrong tool.

Old August 24 2007, 10:12 AM   #33
Neroon
Mod of balance

"Oh, and you mentioned wondering what my pleasure threshold is. I just recently found out, I don't have one. Have a very, very nice day, G'kar."
Gotta love Lyta's wild side.
- Proverbs 12:20
Neroon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26 2007, 05:00 AM   #34
Mal
Rear Admiral

can i just say how much i love londo.

and how very sad i get everytime i think of how he ended...

maybe life is fair. that really is just so damn depressing...
Old August 26 2007, 07:50 AM   #35
StarMan
Vice Admiral

Londo was fantastic.

One of my favourite quotes:

"Vir, intelligence has nothing to do with politics."
Old August 26 2007, 03:22 PM   #36
Neroon
Mod of balance

^

Yeah, that is vintage Londo, to be sure. One of my favorites of his requires a little bit of context:
“If you see something this big with eight legs coming your way… let me know. I have to kill it before it develops language skills.”
. That's from "Sic Transit Vir", where he's describing the insects that have infested his quarters.
Old August 26 2007, 03:31 PM   #37
Neroon
Mod of balance

Seeing as this is in the DS9 forum, I was trying to come up with a topic of discussion to tie into that rather important fact.

Did DS9 have a counterpart of any kind to B5's Londo Mollari? I'm not sure that it did, although perhaps Quark comes the closest with his vacillations between right and wrong.
Old August 26 2007, 04:25 PM   #38
Katrine
Fleet Captain

But, for all his faults, Londo always had the good of Centauri & "taking them back to the stars". He always had that forefront in his goals/agendas. & if those ideals coincided with his personal quset for power, so be it.

But I loved Londo's character development & I can't think of another actor who could've come close to this feat.

I remember thinking when he went into the Council Chambers after the bombing of Narn & he insisted that G'Kar be removed from the Council. For all his screaming & demanding, you could see he was afraid & full of self loathing over what he had done, or helped put into motion. Such complexities in one character. Gotta love Londo.
Katrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26 2007, 05:59 PM   #39
Mal
Rear Admiral

Neroon said:
Did DS9 have a counterpart of any kind to B5's Londo Mollari? I'm not sure that it did, although perhaps Quark comes the closest with his vacillations between right and wrong.

Quark very well could have become the heart of DS9, but for some reason, the writers never let him rise above a comic character.

Many of Jammer's Reviews make this point better than i could:

There's a moment in "The Dogs of War" when Quark has had enough. He has watched as Ferengi society around him has become, in his view, a travesty. And he realizes he hasn't been immune from the changes over the years; he sees that he has gone "soft." He launches into a histrionic tirade that continues to build in amusement as Quark's disgust is unleashed. Then he yells: "The line has to be drawn here! This far, and no further!"

the problem, though, is that unlike the rich and textured culture of the Centauri, their proud yet tragic trajectory (which, of course, mirrors Londo's own character), with the ferengi:

Even though developments in Ferengi culture in the past have been so badly handled that they cross into offensiveness ("Profit in Lace" especially), I think I finally see a payoff here to all the changes made, never mind their previous implausibility. That payoff is simple: Ferengi society has changed ... and Quark hasn't.

And that's probably the difference between Star Trek - which, like root beer, is so sweet, and bubbly, and happy, whereas B5 is like scotch - complex, at times bitter, certainly not for everyone, but if you enjoy it, it packs a fucking massive punch.

The thing is, in B5, Centauri prime tried to change (Emperor Turhan was a great man); Londo did not. But unlike Quark, Londo did something about it, and everyone payed the price. Especially Londo.
Old August 26 2007, 07:00 PM   #40
DWF
Vice Admiral

Neroon said:
I would say either Garek or Dumar instead of Quark.
--- Harlan Ellison, from his introduction
to the PINNACLE series of Doctor Who books
DWF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26 2007, 07:06 PM   #41
lvsxy808
Rear Admiral

Mal said:
And that's probably the difference between Star Trek - which, like root beer, is so sweet, and bubbly, and happy, whereas B5 is like scotch - complex, at times bitter, certainly not for everyone, but if you enjoy it, it packs a fucking massive punch.
What an utterly fantastic quote.

Read Deep Space Nine, Season 10
All 22 eps available to read on-screen or download and keep!
lvsxy808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27 2007, 05:50 AM   #42
Phily B
Fleet Captain

View Phily B's Twitter Profile

I've been watching B5, I've watched the first five episodes and it really hasn't grabbed me. They've all been ok, nothing great. Just....ok. Does it get any better? I loved DS9, and I love BSG, TNG when I was a kid but I'm not a big sci-fi fan and this seems huge on sci-fi.
Phily B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27 2007, 07:34 AM   #43
Mal
Rear Admiral

Phily B said:
I've been watching B5, I've watched the first five episodes and it really hasn't grabbed me. They've all been ok, nothing great. Just....ok. Does it get any better? I loved DS9, and I love BSG, TNG when I was a kid but I'm not a big sci-fi fan and this seems huge on sci-fi.
let me put it to you this way: the last B5 thread in this DS9 forum had something like 1095 comments before it was finally closed. that's 1095 comments. in a DS9 forum (DS9 being B5's biggest competition).

so unless you have absolutely no confidence in the taste of your fellow DS9 fans, you can safely continue to watch, secure in the knowledge that once you get past the first season, and into the second, you'll forget why you ever questioned whether the show was worth watching.

and once you get into the third season, well, you'll just have to get there to understand the ecstasy

may the force be with you!
Old August 27 2007, 02:27 PM   #44
Neroon
Mod of balance

DS9 can be seen as "competiton" I suppose, because of the similarity. However, I tend to view it more as a companion piece, mostly because of those same similarities. Consider them to be quarterbacks for two different football teams. THey each have their own philosophy, uniforms, etc.... but in the end their jobs are much alike. Consequently, they have a common frame of reference making for good discussions.

And chalk me up as another who liked the "root beer / scotch" quote. :thumbsup:
Old August 27 2007, 02:40 PM   #45
Lindley
Moderator with a Soul

Phily B said:
It's difficult to describe just how little you understand of B5's scope at this point. Suffice it to say, you're still in the portion of the story establishing Setting. The Rising Action portion hasn't even begun yet.
Lindley is offline   Reply With Quote