Coto Drama Sold To Fox
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Braga Inks Deal
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Remastered Original Series Re-release
By: T'Bonz on Sep 11

UK Trek Ships Calendar Debuts
By: T'Bonz on Sep 10

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Deep Space Nine

Deep Space Nine What We Left Behind, we will always have here.

Old September 15 2007, 10:58 AM   #346
Phily B
Fleet Captain

View Phily B's Twitter Profile
Re: Niners Unite...around Babylon 5! - The Lost Threads

HOLY JEEZUS

That King Arthur episode was really shite. I watched most of season 3 up until that point, now I'm taking a break cause it was pretty terrible.
Phily B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15 2007, 11:00 AM   #347
Phily B
Fleet Captain

Also, I already knew about Gkar because he was the one Romulan dude in TNG.
Old September 15 2007, 11:38 AM   #348
Neroon
Mod of balance

Phily B said:
HOLY JEEZUS

That King Arthur episode was really shite. I watched most of season 3 up until that point, now I'm taking a break cause it was pretty terrible.
But what about it struck you as being so "terrible"? I don't doubt you feel this way, but enough people like the episode that it makes me very curious when someone says they don't like it.
- Proverbs 12:20
Neroon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15 2007, 11:44 AM   #349
Phily B
Fleet Captain

It was just a bit lame and boring, there was pretty much no development of the main arc. It felt like total filler to me, which I hate hate hate.

Sure it had a good conclusion, it was just a bit random, especially when he started doing his jedi knight skills. The best part was when G'Kar fell onto the table drunk.
Old September 15 2007, 01:21 PM   #350
Neroon
Mod of balance

I suppose it's a matter of personal preference. The standalone type of episode is designed to give the viewer a bit of a break fro the ongoing story. I can't think of a single series with an extended story arc that doesn't do this on several occasions. B5 is well-known for the long arc, true. Yet many of these standalones work well in fleshing out characters, having a little fun, etc. Yeah... file that under "well, duh!"

IN the case of "A Late Delivery From Avalon", you get the overall arc itself fleshed out more. It may not advance the story further, but it fills in more of the gaps and give you a glimpse into the humanity involved which essentially began that story: a key player in the cause of the Earth-Minbari War.
- Proverbs 12:20
Neroon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15 2007, 02:08 PM   #351
Jan
Commodore

Neroon said:
IN the case of "A Late Delivery From Avalon", you get the overall arc itself fleshed out more. It may not advance the story further, but it fills in more of the gaps and give you a glimpse into the humanity involved which essentially began that story: a key player in the cause of the Earth-Minbari War.
Not to mention a small scene with...

I agree with Neroon. I wouldn't have cared as much what happened to these characters without the less arc-intensive episodes. There's at least *some* arc in just about every episode, even if you don't see it yet.

But then, I pretty much always enjoyed the off-format episodes. In A View from the Gallery the only part I really disliked was Mack telling Lochley that she was all right in his book. That part was cringeworthy.

And the fifth season opening sequence is definitely my fave.

Jan
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15 2007, 02:27 PM   #352
Lindley
Moderator with a Soul

od0_ital said:
Okay, I already don't like the openin' title sequence for this season.

I'll be skippin' over that for the rest of the episodes.
Make an exception when you get to "The Corps is Mother, The Corps is Father".
Lindley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15 2007, 03:53 PM   #353
PKTrekGirl
Arrogant Niner Thug

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to PKTrekGirl

Wow...interesting how different people like different opening credits. I like season 5's okay...but they are certainly not my favorite.

And Od0 - season 5 is not anywhere as good as season 4. The first half of season 5 is thought of as being the worst stretch of episodes in the series by many people, in fact (myself included). However, the second half of the season improves noticeably and the show ends strongly. So just hang onto your seat for a few days and tough it out.

The good news is that no matter which character you hated most in the past...he or she will likely be replaced very soon.

Star Trek XI - "You know, if you have ten extra sombreros lying around, I have an idea on how to improve your current avatar..." - Samuel T. Cogley
PKTrekGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15 2007, 03:56 PM   #354
Stone_Cold_Sisko
Vice Admiral

od0_ital said:
^

Still don't like it.

Just finished up 'A View from the Gallery', and that has to be the most contrived bunch of bullshit ever put on television.

Glad i'm not the only one who feels that way (as its somewhat of a fan favorite). In particular i hated how sugary sweet in awe and reverence of sheriden/delenn/etc the two guys were. I wish one of them was resentful or didn't like them (a la people and today's politicians).

Season 5 as a whole just doesn't feel like the same show. I think the credits are ok but the music is so different it just lends to this general feeling I get that "season 5 isn't REAL babylon 5" though obviously its part of the series so its the fault of the content for projecting that feeling. in particular i cant believe how long the byron arc goes on for. Oy.
Stone_Cold_Sisko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15 2007, 04:13 PM   #355
Mal
Rear Admiral

Phily B said:
It was just a bit lame and boring, there was pretty much no development of the main arc. It felt like total filler to me, which I hate hate hate.

Sure it had a good conclusion, it was just a bit random, especially when he started doing his jedi knight skills. The best part was when G'Kar fell onto the table drunk.
i really dislike Late Delivery from Avalon. part of it is that the black-and-white scenes just don't work for me (like they were trying too hard to be artsy).

that said, i really do like the scene when Arthur knights G'kar. such a great scene. but it can't make up for an otherwise really lousy outing.

i wonder if all king-arthur fans liked this aspect of B5? i mean, i didn't like marcus and the rangers either, but i think LOTR fans really did...
Old September 15 2007, 04:35 PM   #356
od0_ital
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to od0_ital

Neroon said:
od0_ital said:
Well, maybe because I just watched the first four seasons, so a flashback intro doesn't interest me.
I can understand that.

And, it just seems odd to me that the new character on the show is buried in the second tier credits.
Considering the circumstances surrounding the new character and her timing, there probably wasn't a whole lot that could have been done. There are quite a few SAG rules governing things like credits.
Well, not to be too spoiler-y, but there was an openin' in the first tier - why not put her there?

Just finished up 'A View from the Gallery', and that has to be the most contrived bunch of bullshit ever put on television.
Don't leave it there. Be more specific. Was it the structure, the fact that it was about one-off "lower decks" characters?
It was contrived 'cause it seemed like Mack & Bo were all over the damn station, from command to brown, at random, and yet they managed to bump into every damn person in the openin' credits by goin' round a corner, literally.

And the one time they get sent somewhere by a direct supervisor, only Bo has the comm thing. Why wouldn't Mack have one, too? Sure, they are a team, but as the scenes in Medlab & CinC showed, they were seperated from time to time.

It was crap.

Though I do get Neroon's "blue collar" avatar entry a couple of weeks ago in Gen SciFi....

Yes! He CAN be taught!

I still wouldn't have voted for it, though.
Old September 15 2007, 06:25 PM   #357
Harvey
Admiral

I'm still waiting to hear what you think about Byron, Od0. Or is that on your live journal which is inexplicably blocking me this week?

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15 2007, 08:36 PM   #358
od0_ital
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to od0_ital

Hirogen Alpha said:
I'm still waiting to hear what you think about Byron, Od0. Or is that on your live journal which is inexplicably blocking me this week?
Nah, I only write up my general thoughts on the show at the end of each season.

As for Byron...

Old September 15 2007, 08:50 PM   #359
DanCPA
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to DanCPA Send a message via Yahoo to DanCPA

od0_ital said:
She even has a binder of non-family friendly photos she'll sign.

How much are they?
Old September 15 2007, 08:54 PM   #360
Steven
Admiral

od0_ital said:
As for Byron...

Oh, and count me in on the "I like the season 5 opening credits" camp.