Greenwood Cast In Truth
By: T'Bonz on Oct 28

Cumberbatch In Talks For Strange
By: T'Bonz on Oct 28

Two New Trek Bobble Heads
By: T'Bonz on Oct 27

Meaney On Playing Historical Figure Durant
By: T'Bonz on Oct 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Deep Space Nine

Deep Space Nine What We Left Behind, we will always have here.

Old August 21 2007, 06:12 AM   #16
Mal
Rear Admiral

Re: Niners Unite...around Babylon 5! - The Lost Threads

my favorite of the series (is of course a londo quote)

It is good to have friends, is it not Mr. Garibaldi, even if maybe only for a little while?

Old August 21 2007, 12:36 PM   #17
Neroon
Mod of balance

Orac Zen said:
Figured I'd get that in before Neroon does.
That was wise, Grasshopper. So here's one of mine, a popular one that I will get in:

From "Z'ha'dum", rendered by the unmatched gravity of Andreas Katsulas' voice....
G'kar: "It was the end of the Earth year, 2260, and the war had paused, suddenly and unexpectedly. All around us, it was as if the universe were holding it's breath ... Waiting. All of life can be broken down into moments of transition or moments of revelation. This had the feeling of both."
----
"G'Quon wrote, there is a greater darkness then the one we fight. It is the darkness of the soul that has lost its way. The war we fight is not against powers and principalities. It is against chaos and despair! Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope. The death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender. The future is all around us, waiting in moments of transition to born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain."

And a personal favorite of mine that is not often quoted. It has real substance in it:
As you continue on your path, you will lose some friends and gain some new ones. The process is painful, but often necessary. They will change and you will change, because life is change. From time to time, they must find their own way and that way may not be yours. Enjoy them for what they are and remember them for what they were.
Old August 21 2007, 10:06 PM   #18
Orac Zen
Mischief Manager

Neroon said:
And a personal favorite of mine that is not often quoted. It has real substance in it:
As you continue on your path, you will lose some friends and gain some new ones. The process is painful, but often necessary. They will change and you will change, because life is change. From time to time, they must find their own way and that way may not be yours. Enjoy them for what they are and remember them for what they were.
I like that one a lot, too. :thumbsup:
Old August 22 2007, 02:58 AM   #19
Neroon
Mod of balance

It fits in so many phases of life, even the online ones.
Old August 22 2007, 05:37 AM   #20
Mal
Rear Admiral

Neroon said:
speaking of which, where is Vash?
Old August 22 2007, 05:46 AM   #21
Orac Zen
Mischief Manager

She has always been here. Including in this thread.

Quite so, Neroon.
Old August 22 2007, 01:03 PM   #22
Neroon
Mod of balance

Here's a fun one:
Dodger: "It's some guys fantasy. A love hungry red head, who'll disappear in the morning, never to be seen again. "
=
Garibaldi: "I'm sorry, Dodger. What were you saying?"
=
Dodger: "It's a good thing, I'm only here another hour or so cupcake, two weeks of this, I'd kill you."
Old August 22 2007, 02:42 PM   #23
od0_ital
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to od0_ital

Popped in the third disc of the first season, saw that Sarah Douglas guest starred in 'Deathwalker'.

I don't have a quote to go with that, I just thought it was cool.

Old August 22 2007, 04:20 PM   #24
PKTrekGirl
Arrogant Niner Thug

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to PKTrekGirl

Mal said:
Neroon said:
Did you seriously think I was gone?

No...I've been here all along. I was actually wondering why you never contacted me when you got back. Assuming you are who I think you are.

Star Trek XI - "You know, if you have ten extra sombreros lying around, I have an idea on how to improve your current avatar..." - Samuel T. Cogley
PKTrekGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22 2007, 04:26 PM   #25
PKTrekGirl
Arrogant Niner Thug

Orac Zen said:
Neroon said:
Wow...I actually find this quote rather depressing.

But then I don't deal with loss very well. I don't think it's easy at all to stay detached like that, where you just 'enjoy them for what they are'....and just shrug it off when they leave.

I suppose it would be nice, because if you had this philosophy, no one could hurt you. But it feels kinda...I don't know, empty to me.

Anyway, probably much too heavy of a comment. But that's the way I feel.

Star Trek XI - "You know, if you have ten extra sombreros lying around, I have an idea on how to improve your current avatar..." - Samuel T. Cogley
Old August 22 2007, 04:40 PM   #26
Mal
Rear Admiral

PKTrekGirl said:
Mal said:
Neroon said:

No...I've been here all along. I was actually wondering why you never contacted me when you got back. Assuming you are who I think you are.
wow. happy days

you know what they say:

I believe that when we leave a place, part of it goes with us and part of us remains. Go anywhere in the station, when it is quiet, and just listen. After a while, you will hear the echoes of all our conversations, every thought and word we've exchanged. Long after we are gone, our voices will linger in these walls for as long as this place remains.

But I will admit, that the part of me that was away, very much missed the part of you that had stayed.
Old August 22 2007, 04:50 PM   #27
Jan
Commodore

PKTrekGirl said:
Orac Zen said:
Neroon said:
Wow...I actually find this quote rather depressing.

But then I don't deal with loss very well. I don't think it's easy at all to stay detached like that, where you just 'enjoy them for what they are'....and just shrug it off when they leave.
I don't think it's a matter of shrugging it off, though, because the message acknowledges that it's painful. One of the messages of B5 is that people who've 'walked the path beside us' are never really gone as long as we remember them. I like it because it says to not hold on to a relationship longer than is good for the people involved.

Jan
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22 2007, 05:22 PM   #28
Neroon
Mod of balance

I generally take it to mean that it's a fact of life that we all change. To fight against it and to dwell upon it is to fight the inevitable, so just accept it and move on. You don't have to forget those friendships, but neither do you need to hold on to them desperately
Old August 22 2007, 10:14 PM   #29
Orac Zen
Mischief Manager

No one could realistically suggest that there's anything easy about having people we care about depart from our lives, by whatever means. I know I can't "shrug off" such things (to my cost). But things change, people change (for better or worse) for whatever reasons, and that quote from "Objects at Rest" simply says that such things are part of everyone's life. "The process is painful, but often necessary", because sometimes to stay just means even more pain. In any case, it's better to remember the good about the other person(s) and move on. That's difficult...but necessary.
Old August 22 2007, 11:38 PM   #30
PKTrekGirl
Arrogant Niner Thug

Mal said:
PKTrekGirl said:
Mal said:
Neroon said:

wow. happy days

you know what they say:

I believe that when we leave a place, part of it goes with us and part of us remains. Go anywhere in the station, when it is quiet, and just listen. After a while, you will hear the echoes of all our conversations, every thought and word we've exchanged. Long after we are gone, our voices will linger in these walls for as long as this place remains.

But I will admit, that the part of me that was away, very much missed the part of you that had stayed.
Why thank you very much!

We had alot of good times back in the day. Glad you are back (well, I guess you've been back for months, but you know what I mean ).

We need to catch up! It's been a while! Like what? 3 or 4 years??? Hard to believe!