RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 143,207
Posts: 5,599,815
Members: 25,401
Currently online: 513
Newest member: alinktomyheart

TrekToday headlines

March-April 2015 Trek Conventions And Appearances
By: T'Bonz on Mar 2

Shatner Shares Nimoy Memories
By: T'Bonz on Mar 2

Retro Review: When It Rains…
By: Michelle on Feb 27

Nimoy Dead At Eighty-Three
By: T'Bonz on Feb 27

Breaking news: Leonard Nimoy – ‘Mr Spock’ – dies aged 83
By: AntonyF on Feb 27

Hurley Passes
By: T'Bonz on Feb 26

USS Excelsior Model Coming Soon
By: T'Bonz on Feb 25

Hemsworth To Host SNL
By: T'Bonz on Feb 25

Quinto To Guest Star On HBO Comedy
By: T'Bonz on Feb 25

Wheaton To Voice Firefly Game
By: T'Bonz on Feb 24


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Deep Space Nine

Deep Space Nine What We Left Behind, we will always have here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old February 11 2015, 06:44 AM   #1
t_smitts
Captain
 
What do you think the guest role that Bill Mumy turned down was?

I knew that Bill Mumy had turned down DS9 before playing Kellin in "AR-558" because he didn't want to play an alien.

He goes into a little bit more detail in the interview below. He doesn't remember the specific role, but apparently Ira Behr (his friend and neighbor) offered him the alien role sometime sometime after B5's final season had wrapped. He describe it as being bigger than the role he actually took and conceding that it was a good role, but he didn't want to be typecast (or subject himself to more prosthetics).

Based on those clues, does anyone have any guesses which role it might've been? Honestly, I can't picture him playing a Klingon, a Jem'Hadar, or a Ferengi (even though he actually says "I'm not gonna be a Klingon or whatever"), so I think we can rule those out. None of the season 7 episodes that aired before "AR-558" had any major male alien guest spot, other than ones from previous episodes, so probably a season 6 episode.

I could see him playing Keevan, but that probably would've been too early on. I could also picture him playing Tolar in "In the Pale Moonlight"

What do you think? Any other possibilities?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nB22jSda0WA
t_smitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11 2015, 07:34 AM   #2
kirkfan
Commodore
 
Re: What do you think the guest role that Bill Mumy turned down was?

Maybe one of the thieves of Honor Among Thieves, the one in heavy make up.
kirkfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 11 2015, 01:55 PM   #3
Bad Thoughts
Fleet Captain
 
Location: Containment Area for Relocated Yankees
Re: What do you think the guest role that Bill Mumy turned down was?

The first that came to my mind would be Grathon Tollar, followed by Keevan. Maybe one of the brothers in Who Mourns for Morn?
Bad Thoughts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11 2015, 02:14 PM   #4
kirkfan
Commodore
 
Re: What do you think the guest role that Bill Mumy turned down was?

Bad Thoughts wrote: View Post
The first that came to my mind would be Grathon Tollar, followed by Keevan. Maybe one of the brothers in Who Mourns for Morn?
The talkative one, not the dumb one.
kirkfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 11 2015, 04:05 PM   #5
Orphalesion
Captain
 
Orphalesion's Avatar
 
Re: What do you think the guest role that Bill Mumy turned down was?

To me the "type casting" bit does sound very much like a Vorta (the Minbari are quite Vorta-esque) any Vorta really Keevan, Weyoun, or the Vorta who appeared in 'The search" (memory Alpha says his name is Borath)
__________________
I am Orphalesion, Guardian of the Outhouse and Holder of the Holy Hand Grenade of Betazed.
Orphalesion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11 2015, 04:10 PM   #6
kirkfan
Commodore
 
Re: What do you think the guest role that Bill Mumy turned down was?

It takes hours to put that heavy make up on them.
kirkfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 11 2015, 04:35 PM   #7
Bad Thoughts
Fleet Captain
 
Location: Containment Area for Relocated Yankees
Re: What do you think the guest role that Bill Mumy turned down was?

Orphalesion wrote: View Post
To me the "type casting" bit does sound very much like a Vorta (the Minbari are quite Vorta-esque) any Vorta really Keevan, Weyoun, or the Vorta who appeared in 'The search" (memory Alpha says his name is Borath)
Physically and conceptually,yes, though the Vorta are way over the top/campy compared to the Mimbari. And the comment about makeup does bear consideration: getting actors who could perform with heavy prosthetics--even those that did not cover the face--was difficult.
Bad Thoughts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11 2015, 08:01 PM   #8
kirkfan
Commodore
 
Re: What do you think the guest role that Bill Mumy turned down was?

Bad Thoughts wrote: View Post
Orphalesion wrote: View Post
To me the "type casting" bit does sound very much like a Vorta (the Minbari are quite Vorta-esque) any Vorta really Keevan, Weyoun, or the Vorta who appeared in 'The search" (memory Alpha says his name is Borath)
Physically and conceptually,yes, though the Vorta are way over the top/campy compared to the Mimbari. And the comment about makeup does bear consideration: getting actors who could perform with heavy prosthetics--even those that did not cover the face--was difficult.
Plus for Keevan the make up would have to be perfect, they take a few close-ups of his face.
kirkfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 12 2015, 05:44 AM   #9
JirinPanthosa
Rear Admiral
 
Re: What do you think the guest role that Bill Mumy turned down was?

What about the Vorta from Rocks and Shoals?
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12 2015, 06:55 AM   #10
kirkfan
Commodore
 
Re: What do you think the guest role that Bill Mumy turned down was?

JirinPanthosa wrote: View Post
What about the Vorta from Rocks and Shoals?
That's Keevan.
kirkfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 12 2015, 07:47 PM   #11
f14peter
Lieutenant Commander
 
f14peter's Avatar
 
Location: Chico California
Re: What do you think the guest role that Bill Mumy turned down was?

Somewhat the opposite of Frank Sinatra Jr being offered Vic Fontaine but turned it down because he didn't want to by typecast as a imitation of his father, or even play a human character as he really wanted to appear as an alien
f14peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12 2015, 10:35 PM   #12
kirkfan
Commodore
 
Re: What do you think the guest role that Bill Mumy turned down was?

f14peter wrote: View Post
Somewhat the opposite of Frank Sinatra Jr being offered Vic Fontaine but turned it down because he didn't want to by typecast as a imitation of his father, or even play a human character as he really wanted to appear as an alien
Frank Sinatra Jr wanted to play an alien?
kirkfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 12 2015, 10:48 PM   #13
Melakon
Admiral
 
Melakon's Avatar
 
Location: Unmarked grave
Re: What do you think the guest role that Bill Mumy turned down was?

Q. What do you think the guest role that Bill Mumy turned down was?

A. Gul Willro Binson.
__________________
Dr. Howard, Dr. Fine, Dr. Howard: For duty and humanity! --Men in Black (1934)
Melakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12 2015, 11:26 PM   #14
kirkfan
Commodore
 
Re: What do you think the guest role that Bill Mumy turned down was?

Melakon wrote: View Post
Q. What do you think the guest role that Bill Mumy turned down was?

A. Gul Willro Binson.
kirkfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 13 2015, 01:30 AM   #15
f14peter
Lieutenant Commander
 
f14peter's Avatar
 
Location: Chico California
Re: What do you think the guest role that Bill Mumy turned down was?

kirkfan wrote: View Post
f14peter wrote: View Post
Somewhat the opposite of Frank Sinatra Jr being offered Vic Fontaine but turned it down because he didn't want to by typecast as a imitation of his father, or even play a human character as he really wanted to appear as an alien
Frank Sinatra Jr wanted to play an alien?
per Ira Behr in the DS9 Companion ...

https://books.google.com/books?id=kD...20trek&f=false
f14peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:10 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.