RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 141,537
Posts: 5,513,018
Members: 25,140
Currently online: 448
Newest member: themagicman

TrekToday headlines

Two New Starships Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Dec 26

Captain Kirk’s Boldest Missions
By: T'Bonz on Dec 25

Trek Paper Clips
By: T'Bonz on Dec 24

Sargent Passes
By: T'Bonz on Dec 23

QMx Trek Insignia Badges
By: T'Bonz on Dec 23

And The New Director Of Star Trek 3 Is…
By: T'Bonz on Dec 23

TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Tech

Trek Tech Pass me the quantum flux regulator, will you?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old August 16 2007, 03:36 AM   #46
FalTorPan
Vice Admiral
 
FalTorPan's Avatar
 
Location: Out there... thataway.
Re: Andy Probert releases prelim plans for USS Ambassador ki

The God Thing said:
http://www.probertdesigns.com/Folder...sador_Kit.html

The image has been updated with close-up views of the bridge superstructure and sensor radome. Just FYI.

TGT
I was just about to post about the update!

FYI, if you look at the bridge structure, you can see (through the outer "wall") a teeny tiny, roughed-in 3D bridge which appears to be based on the set as seen in "Yesterday's Enterprise." He even roughed in the turbolift cars and shafts!
__________________
Watch ASTRONUTS! Visit Trekplace! Check out my personal website!
FalTorPan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16 2007, 03:37 AM   #47
FalTorPan
Vice Admiral
 
FalTorPan's Avatar
 
Location: Out there... thataway.
Re: Andy Probert releases prelim plans for USS Ambassador ki

Rick Sternbach said:
FalTorPan said:
Arpy said:
Was it Probert or Sternbach that said they designed the E-C by superimposing images of the E-B and E-D and connecting the lines? If that's the case, you can see where the thin nacelles and girthy stardrive come from - ditto the thin, squarish nacelle pylons, come to think of it.
I think both designers adopted that approach -- Probert in 1987, and Sternbach in 1989 or 1990.
I didn't. I developed the Ent-C by looking at the Ent-B and Ent-D with my plain old Mk. I eyeballs and sketching. No superimposing of drawings, just melding elements I saw in both ships and adding them to the solid foundation provided by Andy's color sketch. Since the color sketch was nearly edge-on, there wasn't a lot of data to be gleaned about the saucer shape or the exact form of the nacelles, etc. The final blueprint lines had to be created that would work in shapes from the color sketch and allow us to get a miniature built under TV time pressures (circular saucer, circular cross-section eng. hull). IIRC, the producers weren't keen on making a new ship, so I'm happy that we got what we got.
Thanks for the clarification!
__________________
Watch ASTRONUTS! Visit Trekplace! Check out my personal website!
FalTorPan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16 2007, 01:00 PM   #48
Warped9
Admiral
 
Warped9's Avatar
 
Location: Brockville, Ontario, Canada
Re: Andy Probert releases prelim plans for USS Ambassador kit!

Looks like Probert is showing us the Trek we didn't get in TNG. *Sigh*

I particularly like his original shuttlecraft design and his vertically oriented Warbird.
__________________
STAR TREK: 1964-1991, 2013-?
Warped9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16 2007, 03:15 PM   #49
Harry
Captain
 
Harry's Avatar
 
Re: Andy Probert releases prelim plans for USS Ambassador ki

Hmm.. perhaps he can bring this design to the attention of the Star Trek Online team

I love that little bridge schematic!
__________________
Titan Fleet Yards
Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16 2007, 03:55 PM   #50
Mantyclause
Rear Admiral
 
Location: Manticore
Re: Andy Probert releases prelim plans for USS Ambassador ki

Isn't he on the Star Trek Online team?
__________________
Lord Vorkosigan does not always get what he wants.
Mantyclause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16 2007, 05:29 PM   #51
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral
 
137th Gebirg's Avatar
 
Location: Who is John Galt?
Re: Andy Probert releases prelim plans for USS Ambassador ki

^^^ I think I remember him saying that they initially contacted him but then never heard back. This was a while ago. Maybe it was for Legacy. Can't remember...
__________________
Gebirgswick - Ind, Tra, Sec & Env.
137th Gebirg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16 2007, 05:52 PM   #52
Mike Have-Not
Captain
 
Mike Have-Not's Avatar
 
Location: SF Bay Area, North American Continent, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way Galaxy
Re: Andy Probert releases prelim plans for USS Ambassador ki

Wait, wasn't there an Enterprise-C as part of the ship display in the observation lounge? I know it couldn't have been based on the ENt-C from "Yesterday's Ent" (as it predates it by several years), so was it based on Probert's design? OR something else altogether?
__________________
"We're Niners" -Me, 'Trekkies 2'
Mike Have-Not is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16 2007, 05:58 PM   #53
Deleted 2
Vice Admiral
 
Re: Andy Probert releases prelim plans for USS Ambassador ki

Rick Sternbach said:
I didn't. I developed the Ent-C by looking at the Ent-B and Ent-D with my plain old Mk. I eyeballs and sketching. No superimposing of drawings, just melding elements I saw in both ships and adding them to the solid foundation provided by Andy's color sketch. Since the color sketch was nearly edge-on, there wasn't a lot of data to be gleaned about the saucer shape or the exact form of the nacelles, etc. The final blueprint lines had to be created that would work in shapes from the color sketch and allow us to get a miniature built under TV time pressures (circular saucer, circular cross-section eng. hull). IIRC, the producers weren't keen on making a new ship, so I'm happy that we got what we got.
As am I. The Ambassador class that was shown on screen has, imho, very little to apologise for.
Deleted 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16 2007, 08:34 PM   #54
Cary L. Brown
Rear Admiral
 
Location: Austin, Texas
Re: Andy Probert releases prelim plans for USS Ambassador ki

137th Gebirg said:^^^ I think I remember him saying that they initially contacted him but then never heard back. This was a while ago. Maybe it was for Legacy. Can't remember...
Andy Probert has been doing a LOT of design work for ST-OL. I don't know if that's ongoing (I mean, it's possible that his involvement could have ended, even ended badly). But I know that the site for ST-OL showed a large number of interior setpieces worked out by Andy that expanded upon what was present and/or possible on a TV show budget. Large portions of the sickbay/biosciences deck were illustrated in extravagant detail on the ST-OL site a while back (don't see those anymore, oddly). All the sketchwork was Probert-created.

On the other hand, I recall Rick mentioning at some point (correct me if I'm mistaken, Rick!) that he was approached and... um... was underwhelmed by the professionalism of the ST-OL team?

As for where things stand today... I'm skeptical. Then again, it wont' really impact me one way or another, since I have far too much going on in my real life to be able to live online. MMORPGs are just too much of a demand on my time for them to be REMOTELY worthwhile to me, personally.

It might be fun to go walk around in a "semi-real" Trek universe... but only for a visit or tour, not to "create a life." So I doubt I'll be playing.
Cary L. Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16 2007, 08:35 PM   #55
SonicRanger
Rear Admiral
 
SonicRanger's Avatar
 
Location: Sheffield, England
Re: Andy Probert releases prelim plans for USS Ambassador ki

Mike Have-Not said:
Wait, wasn't there an Enterprise-C as part of the ship display in the observation lounge? I know it couldn't have been based on the ENt-C from "Yesterday's Ent" (as it predates it by several years), so was it based on Probert's design? OR something else altogether?
Cut-n-paste: http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/ga...n/shipwall.jpg
__________________
"STAR TREK is... Action - Adventure - Science Fiction."
-- Gene Roddenberry, 1964, top of the first page of his original pitch and outline for Star Trek
SonicRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17 2007, 01:21 AM   #56
FalTorPan
Vice Admiral
 
FalTorPan's Avatar
 
Location: Out there... thataway.
Re: Andy Probert releases prelim plans for USS Ambassador ki

Zero Hour said:
The Ambassador class that was shown on screen has, imho, very little to apologise for.
Although I prefer Probert's take on the design, I like Sternbach's version a great deal, too. As I said in one of my earliest posts in this thread, comparing the two designs is somewhat unfair, because Rick's design was very much constrained by the practicalities of constructing a ship of the week. Andy's design was/is not.
__________________
Watch ASTRONUTS! Visit Trekplace! Check out my personal website!
FalTorPan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17 2007, 02:27 AM   #57
Data Holmes
Admiral
 
Data Holmes's Avatar
 
Location: Thank you for smoking!
Re: Andy Probert releases prelim plans for USS Ambassador ki

FalTorPan said:
Zero Hour said:
The Ambassador class that was shown on screen has, imho, very little to apologise for.
Although I prefer Probert's take on the design, I like Sternbach's version a great deal, too. As I said in one of my earliest posts in this thread, comparing the two designs is somewhat unfair, because Rick's design was very much constrained by the practicalities of constructing a ship of the week. Andy's design was/is not.
Indeed, though I think I might prefer Rick's Ambassador, it really isn't fair or right to compare them.
__________________
Nick Naylor: My job requires a certain... moral flexibility.
Data Holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17 2007, 08:12 AM   #58
Mike Have-Not
Captain
 
Mike Have-Not's Avatar
 
Location: SF Bay Area, North American Continent, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way Galaxy
Re: Andy Probert releases prelim plans for USS Ambassador ki

SonicRanger said:
Mike Have-Not said:
Wait, wasn't there an Enterprise-C as part of the ship display in the observation lounge? I know it couldn't have been based on the ENt-C from "Yesterday's Ent" (as it predates it by several years), so was it based on Probert's design? OR something else altogether?
Cut-n-paste: http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/ga...n/shipwall.jpg
So, I guess it looks like the "something else altogether" option, then?
__________________
"We're Niners" -Me, 'Trekkies 2'
Mike Have-Not is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17 2007, 11:17 AM   #59
FalTorPan
Vice Admiral
 
FalTorPan's Avatar
 
Location: Out there... thataway.
Re: Andy Probert releases prelim plans for USS Ambassador ki

My understanding of the "Ambassador Chronology" is this:

* TNG Pre-Production (probably 1987) - Probert creates the color rendering of a new ship design. The intent is to use this painting to depict a ship without requiring the construction of a new filming miniature, or recycling a pre-existing miniature to depict an 80-or-so-year-old starship. The painting is never used.

* Several weeks later - Probert has an opportunity to design the Enterprise-C, since it will appear as a half-model in the "observation lounge" set. The Ambassador painting is a starting point for what becomes a hard-line profile sketch.

* Right here, right now - Probert is creating a full 3D realization of his concept of the Ambassador-class Enterprise-C. Although both the profile sketch and color painting are primary references, the profile sketch is considered the more authoritative reference.

(I've gleaned this information from email conversations with Probert. It's possible that I've misstated something, though.)
__________________
Watch ASTRONUTS! Visit Trekplace! Check out my personal website!
FalTorPan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17 2007, 04:46 PM   #60
USS Mariner
Rear Admiral
 
USS Mariner's Avatar
 
Location: Homestate of Matt Jefferies
View USS Mariner's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to USS Mariner Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to USS Mariner
Re: Andy Probert releases prelim plans for USS Ambassador ki

I'd like him to fix up the bridge design. Not the basic layout, just bring it inline with the ideas he had for pre-TNG Starfleet in Season 1.

I just want the carpet to match the spinners and the chrome, if you get me.

EDIT: It looks as if he already has. Like I would've expected less. :P
__________________
Ignorance is forgivable,
Arrogance is reprehensible,
Narcissism is intolerable.

Subspace Commns Network ~ Visit Marinina!
USS Mariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 02:26 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.