To Be Takei Review by Spencer Blohm
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Mulgrew: Playing Red

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments

Funko Mini Spock
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Tech

Trek Tech Pass me the quantum flux regulator, will you?

Old August 12 2007, 11:44 PM   #31
FalTorPan
Vice Admiral

Re: Andy Probert releases prelim plans for USS Ambassador ki

Trekker4747 said:
ancient said:
I like to pretend that the ENT-B modifications were a continuation of the failed transwarp perogram. Thus the extra glowies on the saucer, built up nacelles, re-inforced hull, etc.

In the 24th Century all the Excelciors seem to be without the ENT-B stuff, so they just...ripped it back off after they were done fooling around.

Yay for fanon explanations!
And, see, I always thought the "transwarp" program was a huge sucsess in that for them "transwarp" became what we know as the revised TNG Warp Scale.
Throughout Trekkiness, the term "transwarp" seems to have been used as a blanket term to mean just about any propulsion technology that exceeds the capabilities of then-modern warp drive. As to the "truth" of Arnold's claim... I don't care either way.

Back on-topic, the Ambassador is looking very cool. I really look forward to seeing how the engineering hull and nacelle pylons flow together.
Old August 13 2007, 05:01 AM   #32
Unicron
Continuity Spackle

Send a message via ICQ to Unicron

Yeah, personally I like Tigger's take on tranwarp in his Excelsior entry on for the ASDB manuals. Transwarp did work, it's just that they couldn't get the kind of superior performance they wanted on a large scale product like the starship prototype. So not a flop at all, simply a concept that didn't work quite as well on a large scale. The TNG warp scale is a good alternative.

"My dream is to eat candy and poop emeralds. I'm halfway successful."

Catbert, Evil Director of Human Resources
Unicron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13 2007, 01:15 PM   #33
Vance
Vice Admiral

Considering that TNG completely changes warp scale, and it's treated that the new scale, etc, were there for a long time... I'm left to the conclusion that Transwarp (ST:III) actually DID work, and that the engineers made a new warp scale accordingly.

I mean, seriously, the TNG Tech Manual is full of crap anyway, why rely on it for something like this?
Vance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13 2007, 05:49 PM   #34
Rick Sternbach
Fleet Captain

FalTorPan said:
Arpy said:
Was it Probert or Sternbach that said they designed the E-C by superimposing images of the E-B and E-D and connecting the lines? If that's the case, you can see where the thin nacelles and girthy stardrive come from - ditto the thin, squarish nacelle pylons, come to think of it.
I think both designers adopted that approach -- Probert in 1987, and Sternbach in 1989 or 1990.
I didn't. I developed the Ent-C by looking at the Ent-B and Ent-D with my plain old Mk. I eyeballs and sketching. No superimposing of drawings, just melding elements I saw in both ships and adding them to the solid foundation provided by Andy's color sketch. Since the color sketch was nearly edge-on, there wasn't a lot of data to be gleaned about the saucer shape or the exact form of the nacelles, etc. The final blueprint lines had to be created that would work in shapes from the color sketch and allow us to get a miniature built under TV time pressures (circular saucer, circular cross-section eng. hull). IIRC, the producers weren't keen on making a new ship, so I'm happy that we got what we got.

The slightly hefty nacelles in the final ship were likely a result of Starfleet wanting to go faster, but had to make the coils bigger, and only after the class was in production did they come up with a more efficient alloy vapor-deposition technique that led to the thinner (by comparison) nacelles for the U.S.S. Galaxy.

Rick
www.spacemodelsystems.com
Old August 14 2007, 05:20 AM   #35
Captain Robert April
Vice Admiral

Location: In selfless service to fandom, on the road to becoming a Star Trek trivia god...

Ya never do lose the knack for technobabble, do ya?
Captain Robert April is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14 2007, 09:16 AM   #36
GodThingFormerly
A Different Kind of Asshole

Captain Robert April said:
As was noted at TrekBBS.com a couple of years ago by no less a poster than Rick Sternbach himself, technobabble is only technobabble if it doesn't make any sense. Microgravity vacuum-vapor deposition, on the other hand, is a perfectly legitimate real-world space manufacturing proposal dating back to at least the L5 movement of the 1970s:

Illustration scanned from Colonies in Space by T.A. Heppenheimer (Stackpole Books, 1977).

TGT
GodThingFormerly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14 2007, 04:25 PM   #37
Rick Sternbach
Fleet Captain

The God Thing said:
Captain Robert April said:
As was noted at TrekBBS.com a couple of years ago by no less a poster than Rick Sternbach himself, technobabble is only technobabble if it doesn't make any sense. Microgravity vacuum-vapor deposition, on the other hand, is a perfectly legitimate real-world space manufacturing proposal dating back to at least the L5 movement of the 1970s:

<snip>

TGT
I learned about plasma spraying of space inflatables in 1972 or thereabouts, as a technique for building the big 1000' diameter fuel sphere for an Enzmann starship. With balloons as big as Echo back in the early days, the idea of making a big metallic sphere doesn't seem so distant now.

And yeah, it's only technobabble in the wrong hands. There were days when I truly believed that Trek was like a chimpanzee with a Stradivarius. Fortunately those days weren't too frequent.

Rick
Old August 14 2007, 04:51 PM   #38
Unicron
Continuity Spackle

Yeah, I think sometimes it's too tempting to just say any significant amount of technical talk in an ep is technobabble, but I don't think that's always true. Anyone who's ever watched the CSI shows will hear a fair amount of forensic lingo, and it's not always explained in a given ep. Gun shot residue is frequently abbreviated GSR for example.

Old August 15 2007, 03:45 AM   #39
Rick Sternbach
Fleet Captain

Unicron said:
Yeah, I think sometimes it's too tempting to just say any significant amount of technical talk in an ep is technobabble, but I don't think that's always true. Anyone who's ever watched the CSI shows will hear a fair amount of forensic lingo, and it's not always explained in a given ep. Gun shot residue is frequently abbreviated GSR for example.

CSI was a good example of using terminology that was internally consistent. Same with The West Wing. I didn't understand 100% of the politcal discussions or how things in Congress worked, etc., but after a while, I got the gist of it. One of the problems with the modern-era Trek writing was that there were terms thrown in that made no real sense, like isogenic or metagenic or blahblahgenic or stuff I never would have offered to the folks banging keyboards in the Hart Building. We talked about the junk terminology here long ago, so there's no real need to go over it a whole lot more.

Rick
Old August 15 2007, 12:49 PM   #40
Cary L. Brown
Rear Admiral

Yep...

On-screen science talk should (1) be present because it MATTERS, and (2) should be consistent with real science.

The points made above are really spot-on. It's best to AVOID talking science in fiction, unless the fiction requires it... this is something that Roddenberry originally "got" but which got left behind later on. The idea was, in TOS, they'd never really explain what a phaser was. All the audience needed to know was what it DID. Nobody cared about "rapid nadion traces." They just cared that you'd point it, shoot it, and stun the bad guy.

I seem to recall a Roddenberry memo from "The Making of Star Trek" which pointed out how ludicrous it would have felt if, in a John Ford western, the hero were to stop and explain how his Colt pistol worked.
Cary L. Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15 2007, 05:04 PM   #41
Unicron
Continuity Spackle

True. In fairness though, I don't mind a small amount of technobabble that uses futuristic terms like isogenic, provided it doesn't get used too often.

Old August 15 2007, 06:29 PM   #42
Rick Sternbach
Fleet Captain

Cary L. Brown said:
Yep...

On-screen science talk should (1) be present because it MATTERS, and (2) should be consistent with real science.

The points made above are really spot-on. It's best to AVOID talking science in fiction, unless the fiction requires it... this is something that Roddenberry originally "got" but which got left behind later on. The idea was, in TOS, they'd never really explain what a phaser was. All the audience needed to know was what it DID. Nobody cared about "rapid nadion traces." They just cared that you'd point it, shoot it, and stun the bad guy.

I seem to recall a Roddenberry memo from "The Making of Star Trek" which pointed out how ludicrous it would have felt if, in a John Ford western, the hero were to stop and explain how his Colt pistol worked.
True enough, and on the show, we who helped in the tech area knew that six-shooter lesson very well. However, if a mysterious energy blast had to be analyzed to discover, for instance, who fired and with what weapon, we had to have at least some of the science worked out so that it didn't end up sounding stupid and only half-heartedly invented. There's more than enough crappy science in media SF out there; I didn't want to contribute to the steaming pile.

Rick
Old August 15 2007, 08:03 PM   #43
SonicRanger
Rear Admiral

Wait, wait -- the isogenic emitters are where on the Ambassador?

Old August 16 2007, 02:57 AM   #44
GodThingFormerly
A Different Kind of Asshole

Re: Andy Probert releases prelim plans for USS Ambassador kit!

http://www.probertdesigns.com/Folder...sador_Kit.html

The image has been updated with close-up views of the bridge superstructure and sensor radome. Just FYI.

TGT
GodThingFormerly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16 2007, 03:17 AM   #45
RAMA
Vice Admiral

The God Thing said:
http://www.probertdesigns.com/Folder...sador_Kit.html

The image has been updated with close-up views of the bridge superstructure and sensor radome. Just FYI.

TGT
Beautiful...brings a tear to me eye! :thumbsup: