Trek 3 Shooting Next Spring?
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

Star Trek: Alien Domain Game Announced
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Tech

Trek Tech Pass me the quantum flux regulator, will you?

Old August 11 2007, 03:43 PM   #16
FalTorPan
Vice Admiral

Re: Andy Probert releases prelim plans for USS Ambassador ki

Andrew has updated his work-in-progress image.

http://www.probertdesigns.com/Folder...sador_Kit.html

The nacelles now have support structures beneath them, the engineering hull has an extra cross-section outline or two, and there's a new perspective view of the 3D ship.
Old August 11 2007, 03:53 PM   #17
Tallguy
Fleet Captain

This is a trip watching him reverse engineer his own work into 3D. Who does he argue with about what his original intent was? Or that he's interpreted his references completely wrong compared to what he had overheard in a conversation with himself? Does he ever send himself unreleased sketches that he sent himself but told himself not to release to himself? It's all so confusing...

(And the ship's looking pretty, too.)
Old August 11 2007, 04:05 PM   #18
Basill
Captain

Nacelles definitely look a little better now.

Visit my Trek Art blog at: http://starstation.wordpress.com/
Basill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11 2007, 09:19 PM   #19
Arpy
Rear Admiral

Was it Probert or Sternbach that said they designed the E-C by superimposing images of the E-B and E-D and connecting the lines? If that's the case, you can see where the thin nacelles and girthy stardrive come from - ditto the thin, squarish nacelle pylons, come to think of it.

Although I agree with some of the comments here, I think the model looks great so far, and I love the painting. My only hope is that he remembers to give this model a little character all its own - something that doesn't show up in later ships. I mean, looking at the original Enterprise and then the E-D, could you imagine the elongated Excelsior in between? Or the Bussard Collector-less E-A? So I'd like to see the Ambassador Class have more of its own style as well as fit "immaculately" between eras.

Regarding this model being put in "Yesterday's Enterprise" in a TNG remastering...that's how I always pictured it in my head. I really can't stand the E-C as is. At the same time, I understand that others like it, so I like to think both versions exist in Starfleet, with this one as a refit. There's already the Yamaguchi(sp?) variant from DS9's "Emissary".
Arpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11 2007, 10:19 PM   #20
FalTorPan
Vice Admiral

Arpy said:
Was it Probert or Sternbach that said they designed the E-C by superimposing images of the E-B and E-D and connecting the lines? If that's the case, you can see where the thin nacelles and girthy stardrive come from - ditto the thin, squarish nacelle pylons, come to think of it.
I think both designers adopted that approach -- Probert in 1987, and Sternbach in 1989 or 1990.

Arpy said:
Regarding this model being put in "Yesterday's Enterprise" in a TNG remastering...that's how I always pictured it in my head. I really can't stand the E-C as is. At the same time, I understand that others like it, so I like to think both versions exist in Starfleet, with this one as a refit. There's already the Yamaguchi(sp?) variant from DS9's "Emissary".
Maybe in this "remastered" world, the Enterprise-C is the first of the "Probert" subclass of Ambassador-class ships -- and the Enterprise-B was initially a "Trek III-style" Excelsior (so that the design lineage from 1701-A through 1701-D is maintained), perhaps later upgraded to the "Generations-style" subclass. (I hate the "love handles" that were added to Excelsior's engineering hull for Star Trek: Generations. In addition to being ugly, they make the Enterprise-C look even more out of place as an intermediate step between Excelsior-class and Galaxy-class ships.)
Old August 12 2007, 12:09 AM   #21
ancient
Vice Admiral

I like to pretend that the ENT-B modifications were a continuation of the failed transwarp perogram. Thus the extra glowies on the saucer, built up nacelles, re-inforced hull, etc.

In the 24th Century all the Excelciors seem to be without the ENT-B stuff, so they just...ripped it back off after they were done fooling around.

Yay for fanon explanations!
Old August 12 2007, 12:58 AM   #22
lennier1
Commodore

ancient said:
I like to pretend that the ENT-B modifications were a continuation of the failed transwarp perogram. Thus the extra glowies on the saucer, built up nacelles, re-inforced hull, etc.

In the 24th Century all the Excelciors seem to be without the ENT-B stuff, so they just...ripped it back off after they were done fooling around.

*cough*Lakota*cough*
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
lennier1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12 2007, 01:08 AM   #23
ancient
Vice Admiral

What about it? I could be remembering wrong, but I thought it was the regular model in CGI form.
Old August 12 2007, 01:11 AM   #24
David cgc
Vice Admiral

Nope. The Lakota was the physical model, with the Generations modifications still in place. There's a reason why they built an all-new model of the Excelsior for "Flashback" (though I don't know enough about what precluded restoring the original model to say if it was a very good reason).
Old August 12 2007, 01:24 AM   #25
ancient
Vice Admiral

Wow, that's nutty. They did do a CGI version at some point though, right? I could've sworn I saw one around that time.

Or maybe I'm thinking of a different ship. G'darn it.
Old August 12 2007, 01:52 AM   #26
Unicron
Continuity Spackle

Send a message via ICQ to Unicron

AFAIK, the Lakota was the only other Excelsior to use the Ent-B modifications. All others have been standard TSFS Excelsiors.

"My dream is to eat candy and poop emeralds. I'm halfway successful."

Catbert, Evil Director of Human Resources
Unicron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12 2007, 03:29 AM   #27
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

ancient said:

And, see, I always thought the "transwarp" program was a huge sucsess in that for them "transwarp" became what we know as the revised TNG Warp Scale.
Old August 12 2007, 05:49 AM   #28
Captain Robert April
Vice Admiral

Location: In selfless service to fandom, on the road to becoming a Star Trek trivia god...

The official word, as of the first season of TNG, was that traswarp was a flop, via a letter I got from Richard Arnold during that time period.

I think this was before his ego really got going, so in this case, I take him at his word.
Captain Robert April is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12 2007, 10:44 PM   #29
Cary L. Brown
Rear Admiral

Captain Robert April said:
The official word, as of the first season of TNG, was that traswarp was a flop, via a letter I got from Richard Arnold during that time period.

I think this was before his ego really got going, so in this case, I take him at his word.
Well, it was officially a "Roddenberry determination" that Transwarp was a failure, wasn't it? And as I recall, that was based upon a mistaken impression that the Excelsior didn't go to transwarp because it didn't work (as opposed to "because Scotty sabotaged the system").

The question, to me then, is... Was this Arnold feeding stuff to Roddenberry or Roddenberry feeding stuff to Arnold?

I'd tend to attribute this to (1) Arnold not really giving a shit about anything but acting as "human shield" for Roddenberry, and (2) Roddenberry's neurological deterioration being in pretty much full swing at this point.

Agree? Disagree?
Cary L. Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12 2007, 11:06 PM   #30
uss_griffin
Lieutenant Commander

^ don't really find it relevant.
Transwarp being a flop never appeared on-screen and is therefore not canon. I'm with Trekker4747 that what was temporarily called transwarp was just referred to as warp drive later (just as the term "timewarp factor" was shortened to "warp factor" earlier).
uss_griffin is offline   Reply With Quote