Cumberbatch As Turing
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Retro Review: In the Pale Moonlight
By: Michelle on Jul 19

Trek Beach Towel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 18

Two New Starships Collection Releases
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old July 30 2007, 07:09 PM   #31
Harmon Bokai
Captain

Re: TNG in HD

I agree this makes sense from a fiscal standpoint, in being able to syndicate ST-HD.

From what I understand, they would literally have to reedit each episode, after converting it from film to HD video. This was the process they used originally, a fairly new concept at the time. I'm pretty sure all of the effects were shot on film, and thus would not need to be redone.

As for 16 x 9, everything was shot on 4 by 3 stock, as far as I know, so it could be cropped, I suppose — unless it was shot with anamorphic lenses (which I wonder about...since I can't recall whether you see the little Panavision bug in the closing credits or not).

It will happen, and it will likely happen sooner, rather than later. By the time DVD-HD/Blu-Ray is an issue, players will be cheaper and the format war will likely be over.
Old July 30 2007, 08:07 PM   #32
Salinga
Captain

I guess it has also somthing to do with the coming death of 4:3 analog TV channels. The moment there are only 16:9 high definition (pay-per-view) digital channels left, they need stuff to run. I bet it is cheaper and quicker to convert a series from old format to 16:9-HD and put it on air than developing a new series.
Salinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31 2007, 03:56 AM   #33
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

benny said:Wrong answer. AFAIK, there is not a dual format player currently on the market which is as good as standalone HD and Blu Ray players. Further, the one just announced from LG does not become available until February, 2008.
The one from LG is already out. (The article you referenced was written in January, 2007; it said February, *of that same year*. And besides, I have SEEN that player on the shelf in Best Buy.)

As for interactive content: Meh. All I care about is the film itself.

Besides, September 2007 is only a month or so away, so that's not too long to wait for Samsung's player...

Salinga said:
I guess it has also somthing to do with the coming death of 4:3 analog TV channels. The moment there are only 16:9 high definition (pay-per-view) digital channels left, they need stuff to run. I bet it is cheaper and quicker to convert a series from old format to 16:9-HD and put it on air than developing a new series.
The upcoming deadline has absolutely nothing to do with HD. It mandates all *digital* broadcasting. Not the same thing.

All HD is digital, but not all digital is HD.

And even then, the deadline only applies to OVER THE AIR broadcasts (i.e. antennae/rabbit ears). If you have cable or satellite, you will never notice any change, because the deadline does not apply to those.
Old July 31 2007, 01:48 PM   #34
benny
Vice Admiral

^ You're right. I misread that part of the article. If either of the combo players had the capability to play BD-Java content and I knew everything would work on them, I would have waited. But there are issues with the LG model, at the very least.
benny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31 2007, 02:32 PM   #35
AviTrek
Fleet Captain

NJOberheim said:
That's awesome! I always heard that TNG, DS9, VOY and some of ENT were orginally shot on video instead of film and therefore made it impossible to upgrade to HD. I wonder what changed?
Nothing changed, they are testing how it looks upscaling the video since thats all they have of the finished cut with SFX.

Outpost4 said:
Also who is to say CBS will do all the series? TNG is arguably Trek's most successful franchise. As much as we here like DS9, the general public, who has to embrace remastering for it to be financially successful, has never warmed to Sisko and company. It might well never receive HDTV treatment. It just depends on how much it would cost versus how much money CBS can make on the project.
That's why they're experimenting with upscaling TNG first. Upscaling will be a lot cheaper than redoing all the SFX like they are doing for TOS. If the upscaling looks decent enough CBS will be more likely to release TNG/DS9/VOY in HD. If they need to redo the SFX and re-edit all the film then all 3 shows are a questionable with TNG being the most likely to be done.
AviTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31 2007, 08:09 PM   #36
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

benny said:
^ You're right. I misread that part of the article. If either of the combo players had the capability to play BD-Java content and I knew everything would work on them, I would have waited. But there are issues with the LG model, at the very least.
AFAIK, the LG player supports every interactive feature of BluRay, but in HD-DVD it will just play the actual movies.
Old July 31 2007, 08:37 PM   #37
Jon1701
Rear Admiral

Salinga said:
Pls, you can make things quicker by getting more people work on it the same time. If there is really interest and the market seems to promise profit, they just hire some more people to do the job quicker for the project.
I was only partially serious but my point still stands. These things take time. No point in the throwing the episodes out, thats when the quality starts to slip.

TOS remastered is taking time, they are trying to get the episodes right. Of course the process is going to get quicker, but I honestly dont want a conveyor belt of TNG HD episodes.

Simply put :

1) There are more episodes
2) There are more fx shots per episode
3) They will probably have to re-edit the episodes from the original masters.

Plus, in my opinion

4) It doesnt really need doing
Old August 1 2007, 03:02 AM   #38
RAMA
Vice Admiral

About time...great news to come back to. I WILL buy these!

RAMA
Old August 1 2007, 04:23 AM   #39
MarkKalz
Fleet Captain

Cyrus said:
WalkinMan said:
can they make it widescreen? If not, why bother...
6 times better resolution. That's a darn good enough reason for doing it.
That has nothing to do with widescreen.

The whole point for widescreen DVDs is to preserve the original aspect ratio for theatrically presented movies. With TNG though, the original aspect ratio is 4:3. To convert it into widescreen would be to chop up the screen ala pan n' scan.
Old August 1 2007, 04:39 AM   #40
Snaploud
Admiral

MarkKalz said:
Cyrus said:
WalkinMan said:

The whole point for widescreen DVDs is to preserve the original aspect ratio for theatrically presented movies. With TNG though, the original aspect ratio is 4:3. To convert it into widescreen would be to chop up the screen ala pan n' scan.
Not quite...I'm fine with the idea of original aspect ratio, but you may be able to get more of the image out of the original film (which was cut to produce the 4:3 image). This is based upon the fact that These Are the Voyages appears to have a larger image with the widescreen version of TNG footage.
Snaploud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1 2007, 08:52 AM   #41
Cyrus
Rear Admiral

MarkKalz said:
Cyrus said:
WalkinMan said:
I didn't say it has. WalkinMan said that if they can't make it widescreen then doing HD version of TNG is not worth the bother. I disagreed, creating an HD version of TNG with 6 times better resolution (even without the widescreen image) is well worth doing. A 4:3 HD version will be way superior to the DVDs.
Cyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1 2007, 11:29 AM   #42
Tomalak
Vice Admiral

View Tomalak's Twitter Profile

Snaploud said:
This is based upon the fact that These Are the Voyages appears to have a larger image with the widescreen version of TNG footage.
IIRC, that shot from Menage a Troi was slightly cropped, but did have more picture at the sides. It may be wise compromise, as HD is inherently a 16x9 format.
Old August 1 2007, 11:34 AM   #43
Outpost4
Vice Admiral

That shot was discussed extensively here and in subsequent posts later in the thread.
Old August 1 2007, 11:45 AM   #44
Tomalak
Vice Admiral

View Tomalak's Twitter Profile

So it was. If they chose to go a ground-up HD version from the orginal stock, I bet it will be 16x9.

Like TOS, I don't think there's anything wrong with that. For purists, watching it in high definition should be wrong anyway, so I don't mind it being an alternate version. DVD shows it at its original SD best.
Old August 2 2007, 10:31 PM   #45
nickyboy
Fleet Captain

yeah i hope they upgrade the FX, i like what they have done with TOS. I am all for it.

Romo Lampkin - The Son Also Rises
nickyboy is offline   Reply With Quote