Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

IDW Publishing March 2015 Comics
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old July 22 2007, 05:12 AM   #1
neilysan
Cadet

Guinan and Picard?

I am watching Time's Arro2 and am curious, what exactly is the relationship with Picard to Guinan? It supposedly goes beyond friendship and family.
neilysan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22 2007, 06:14 AM   #2
jbake
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Guinan and Picard?

The writers never seemed to explore that avenue.

In the same way they set up, that Guinan was supposed to possess "powers". Powers which were so great, that even Q upon meeting her, was very wary. Q told Picard, paraphrasing "that he(Picard) had no idea about what the creature(Guinan) is really like." Guinan raised her hands, as if about to deliver energy bolts upon meeting Q. But this too, was never expanded upon
jbake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22 2007, 06:27 AM   #3
Ryan Thomas Riddle
Rear Admiral

View Ryan Thomas Riddle's Twitter Profile

^Even going as far as calling her an imp.
Old July 22 2007, 10:36 AM   #4
NathanielM
Captain

Well it was something they shared in the past. knowing each other when they hoped through time and then the nexus.

They might have met after generations where Guinan was rescued by Enterprise C... When Kirk was killed and for the type of race she is has a long life span.

So she could have met Picard around Starfleet.

Just my impression.
NathanielM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22 2007, 12:52 PM   #5
Photon
Commodore

"I gonna take you home, boom, boom, boom, boom....pow pow pow pow"
Photon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23 2007, 07:20 AM   #6
nx1701g
Admiral

Noncanonly the Stargazer novels explore Picard's relationship with Guinan
Old July 23 2007, 08:14 AM   #7
mr.peany
Fleet Captain

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to mr.peany

Picard would never even contemplate cheating on Beverly with Guinan.
http://unoland.myminicity.com/
mr.peany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23 2007, 03:18 PM   #8
Whoa Nellie
Fleet Captain

neilysan said:
I am watching Time's Arro2 and am curious, what exactly is the relationship with Picard to Guinan? It supposedly goes beyond friendship and family.
The Picard and Guinan relationship is very enigmatic and absolutely fascinating. A number of pieces of canon through the series (Q Who, Yesterday's Enterprise, Best of Both Worlds, Ensign Ro, Time's Arrow) seem to suggest that Picard has a strong personal relationship with Guinan, perhaps the single closest personal relationship he has onboard. In the cave scene in Time's Arrow 2, the tenderness and complete devotion Picard shows Guinan is breathtaking.

I recall reading that before Whoopi Goldberg had asked for a part to be created for her in TNG, the barkeep character had been originally conceived as being the most beautiful woman in the galaxy, a real hottie. I've often wondered if Goldberg had never shown interest in doing Trek and TBTP had gone with the original concept of a seductively enigmatic hottie (like Inara on Firefly) casting a Halle Berry or a Famke Janssen type, would Picard/Guinan have become the dominate shipper pairing in TNG fandom?

Warmest Wishes,
Whoa Nellie
Old July 24 2007, 03:21 AM   #9
Danoz
Rear Admiral

I, too, love the Guinan character and think she's just fascinating. Q's weariness of her (and assuming her species in general) is something I would love to see explored. Remember her age, the dealings with Picard and Guinan both in Time's Arrow and the Nexus (Generations), and his willingness to make ship-threatening decisions on little more than her intuition. She was a really interesting character and I would have loved to see her more developed. I have to wonder where she was during the "First Contact" movie.
Danoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25 2007, 10:32 PM   #10
Vulcanian
Commander

No, it would have never happened.

Besides Beverly would have been ticked.
Old July 25 2007, 11:22 PM   #11
A beaker full of death
Vice Admiral

neilysan said:
They definitely implied early on that there had been some relationship there. Then they dropped it.
Old July 25 2007, 11:23 PM   #12
A beaker full of death
Vice Admiral

Danoz said:
Q's weariness of her (and assuming her species in general) is something I would love to see explored.
I'll admit a little Whoopie goes a long way, but I never noticed De Lancie reacting that way.
Old July 27 2007, 10:21 AM   #13
jbake
Lieutenant Commander

I came across this Guinan page. Alot of questions, not many answers. However still good fun

So what is Guinan?
Some sort of transcendent El-Aurian, sort of like Wesley Crusher being a transcendent human who became a Traveller? They had the beginnings of Q powers.

Is she a rogue Q who left the continuum like Quinn and the parents of the girl in TNG: "True Q?"

Or is she of some yet unidentified species perhaps even more powerful then the Q who simply poses as an El-Aurian and human in order to speed along their developement or for some more sinister purpose we don't know about yet? While Guinan always appeared benevolent to me, I've also never seen any species that scared a fully-powered Q before.

And while Q is known as the "God of Lies" to some species, I've never known him to really lie to Picard before. Held back information, yes, exaggerated a bit, perhaps, but flat out lied? Not that I recall. So is what he is saying that she is dangerous accurate? I wish they had followed up on those earlier implications further.

http://canonfodder.ex-astris-scienti...t_is_Guinan%3F
jbake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28 2007, 02:11 PM   #14
asp7485
Lieutenant Commander

I once heard Whoopi Goldberg answer a question about this relationship (not at a convention, but when she did her stand-up act). She said that Gene Roddenberry had always intended for Guinan to be Picard's great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great (etc) grandmother and that was the big secret. But then, she said that Gene died and that episode never got made, presumably becoming "Time's Arrow" instead. I'm not making this up, this is actually what Whoopi said.

-Aaron
asp7485 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31 2007, 10:07 AM   #15
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

^Now that would have been cool!