Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Takei Has Growth Removed
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

New Wizkids Attack Wing Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Fiction

Fan Fiction Other forums talk about Trek. We make it.

Old December 24 2007, 03:23 AM   #91
Gibraltar
Rear Admiral

Re: Star Trek: Shepard; Recovery, Chapter 8

Hang on! Rexar’s a Borg? But what’s he doing on the Borg ship/shard if he’s still on Persepheron? I’m confused! Oh, methinks this is gonna be baaaaaaaaad!
Old December 24 2007, 11:19 AM   #92
Dulak
Lieutenant Commander

Star Trek: Shepard; Recovery, Chapter 9

Borg Vessel, Designation unknown
Central Hub

As the two Borg drones clanked slowly along the deck plates, the third, the one who had responded to “Chief” looked up, then turned to face the approaching drones.

Lieutenant Junior Grade Tara clenched her teeth, her pretty green face awash with confusion. Lowering the barrel of her plasma rifle towards the Borg, her finger inched towards the trigger.

Flipping her tricorder off to avoid being recognized as a threat, Lieutenant Townsend remained aware enough of her surroundings to notice her security officer’s actions. “Easy there Mister. Save that in case we really need it. Dulak, do you see any place around here you can put those programs of yours to work?”

The Cardassian Ensign blinked, refocusing his eyes and making a superior effort to control his breathing as his heart raced. Looking around, he saw what looked like and interface junction panel. He nodded and said, “Yes, there’s a panel about three meters to our right. Do you want me to proceed?”

Townsend watched the Borg for a moment, and to her surprise, the three seemed to confer for a moment, prosthetic limbs held close together in the center of the group. Then the two newcomers turned and moved off down the corridor in the direction they had come.

“Alright Mr. Dulak, let’s see what you’ve got.” Townsend re-activated her tricorder and continued doing scans.

Dulak stepped over to the panel and opened his pouch. Removing a small device, he extended a flexible cable from it and pushed it gently into an empty socket. The end didn’t match up exactly to the circuits it contacted, but contained numerous variable interface micro-induction coils. If the device did its job correctly, it would ascertain the correct configuration without setting off any alerts.

Holding is breath for a second as he pressed a series of buttons on the small control panel, Dulak saw with satisfaction a small green light come on. He exhaled quietly and continued. Pressing another button, he selected the first program from the miniature display panel. Activating it, he waited again. “It seems to be working, the interface algorithm is attempting to patch into the Borg network.”

“Very well Mr. Dulak...” Townsend was about to whisper further instructions when her com badge chirped. Cursing silently that she had forgotten to set it to vibrate before the mission she tapped it rapidly, silencing it. “Townsend here, she said quietly.”

To her relief the voice of a concerned Commander Ridgeway spoke over the circuit, “What’s your status Lieutenant? The transporter operator is picking up Borg in your vicinity.”

Townsend wiped a bead of sweat from her forehead and answered. “We seem to be safe for now Commander, but there is something you should be aware of. There is a Borg drone here that bears more than a striking resemblance to our Master Chief. It’s wearing the remains of a Chief’s uniform, and answered to Chief.” As she spoke, the preposterousness of her statement struck her, but she continued anyway.

On the other end Ridgeway was silent for a full five seconds. When he answered his voice was a bit subdued. “Um, have Dulak start interfacing with his programs.” Then more slowly, “Did I understand you correctly that you are in contact with one of the Borg?”

Before she could answer, she heard the voice of crewman Parker, the transporter operator, in the background, “Sir, I’ve got Davis here, he wants to patch you through to someone on the Sutherland, they’ve answered our distress call.” Ridgeway came back on the circuit, “I’d better take this, the second you want out of there, have Parker beam you back over. Ridgeway out.”

Unable to answer that she’d wanted off the Borg vessel since before they beamed over, Townsend focused back to the task at hand. To add to her stress, the Borg “Chief” turned and approached them again. Dulak was oblivious, concentrating on his computer interface. Tara began to itch her trigger finger.

Under her breath, Townsend muttered, “It’s a good thing I like pickles.” Switching her tricorder to medical mode, she decided to get some comprehensive scans of the Borg to take to the Doctor for comparison. She scanned until the Borg stopped in front of her.

In its rusty voice, still croaking from disuse, the Borg spoke again, “Starfleet?” it asked.

Townsend saw no reason to dissemble to the Borg, “Yes, I am Lieutenant Townsend. Is what I say being transmitted to the Collective?”

Facial muscles, also atrophied from lack of use, struggled to form a frown on the still slightly blue face of the Andorian/Borg. “Collective? I...am....not sure what.....you mean?”

Townsend remembered the discussion on the primitive nature of the Borg intruders they had neutralized and wondered if their primitiveness extended into other areas as well. “Collective,” she repeated, “the unimatrix, the network that links all Borg together.”

The Borg shook its head, “Know of no.... such... thing.”

Cutting to the chase, Townsend asked, “Are you really Rexar Arthrun?”

The answer came without hesitation, “Yes, that was......is my name. You are here to rescue me? We should go before the others find out.”

Of all the thoughts racing though her brain, one made it’s way to the forefront, if this is Rexar Arthrun, then who is that back on the Persepheron?

Dulak called out from his position near the interface conduit. “Sir, I have accessed the Borg systems. I am uploading my secondary program now that should allow us to neutralize the vessels control systems. I am not encountering any resistance...”

A bright flash, followed immediately by the loud crack of an electric spark, punctuated his sentence. Before the ozone rich cloud caused by the circuit overload enveloped him, Dulak fell over limply, the interface device falling out of his slack fingers and clattering onto the deck.

“Dulak!” Tara called out as she sprinted the few steps to her fallen crewmate.

Townsend tapped her com badge, “Townsend to Persepheron three.... no four to beam over, will explain. Notify Dr. O’Connell, we have a casualty.” Motioning to the Rexar Drone, she stepped over towards Dulak and Tara just as two additional drones rounded the corner, moving much more quickly than the ones before.

The flustered voice of crewman Parker came back over the com badge. “Parker here Sir, who is the forth person?”

Without pausing to consider if they were the same drones as before, or if they could be former Starfleet like the one who stood next to her seemed to be, Townsend tapped Tara on the shoulder.

“Now would be a good time to discharge those capacitors Lieutenant.”

Tara looked up and without hesitation shot two bolts at the approaching drones. They struck accurately, one into the center of each drone’s chest. The Drones lurched, then fell over.

Speaking more urgently into her com badge, Townsend replied to Parker’s question. “Crewman, it’s the only other life sign standing within two feet of us. It probably shows up as a Borg. Just energize, I don’t have time to explain.”

Two more Borg Drones rounded the corner, but Parker’s plasma rifle hadn’t recycled yet. It was apparently powerful, but with a slow rate of fire. The drones stepped quickly over their fallen companions and walked purposefully towards the intruders.

Before Townsend thought to look at the Rexar Drone for its reaction, the transporter beam engulfed them and the Borg ship faded from view.

USS Persepheron
Bridge

Commander Ridgeway entered the bridge and looked towards the center viewscreen at the striking blonde woman wearing some kind of cloth wrapped around her. Standing next to her was a Starfleet commander, and the bridge layout was reassuringly typical Starfleet.

During the brief walk from the transporter room to the bridge, Ridgeway tried to organize his thoughts. Glad that he had chosen to take the response to their distress call on the bridge, if only for the minute or so it allowed him to think, he nonetheless felt like he needed more time to process all that had happened so far. Time was a luxury, however, that he didn’t have.

Expecting the persons on the viewscreen to notice him and begin speaking, he realized that they didn’t see him. Operating on the assumption that the audio channel was open he spoke. “Commander Ridgeway here, sorry for the delay.”

The female spoke, clearly in charge. “Persepheron, please put your bridge back on display, I want to see who I’m talking to.”

Without waiting for a reply, assuming her request would be carried out, she continued. “This is Captain Shelby of the USS Sutherland, we are proceeding at best speed to your location. Give me the short version.”

Davis flipped a toggle at his station, and apparently, from her change of focus, Shelby was now able to see Ridgeway.

“Captain,” Ridgeway started. “We were at impulse effecting repairs to a malfunctioning deflector array when the Borg hailed us with their standard Resistance is Futile message and locked onto us with a tractor beam. We were able to break it’s hold on us with our own beams and gain temporary control. They attempted to board us, but we managed to neutralize the Borg on the Persepheron. We proceeded at warp towards.....”

Shelby cut in, “Commander, I thought you said your deflector was down?”

Nodding, Ridgeway clarified, “It is Sir. We used the Borg vessel as a screen. Had the added benefit of keeping them occupied and unable to counter our tractor beams, or send another boarding party.”

Grinning slightly, Shelby was impressed at the man’s ingenuity, “Creative Commander, but what were you going to do next?”

Ridgeway looked almost embarrassed, “I was going to slingshot the Borg vessel into a nearby star. We’re kind of short on firepower.”

“Again, a creative solution. Why did you feel the need to drop out of warp and send over an away team?” Shelby queried.”

Changing from embarrassed back to at least a little confident looking, Ridgeway answered. “From several perspectives, the Borg were different from those the Federation had encountered before. They were somehow more...”

T’Noor interrupted from the science console. “Sir, I just detected an energy surge followed by energy weapon discharges near the away team. I’m also getting readings on several Borg drones approaching their position.”

Ridgeway opened his mouth to issue orders when the frantic voice of Crewman Parker resonated over the tug’s general announcing system, “Dr. O’Connell to the transporter room, there’s an away team casualty.”

T’Noor reported further from her console, “Sir, the away team is being beamed back, but it looks like a Borg is beaming with them.”

Shouting above the even delivery of the Vulcan science officer, Chief Prak stepped back from the tractor beam control panel as it crackled and smoked. “Gragnar’s Balls, my console’s down.”

Ridgeway looked from Shelby to T’Noor to Chief Prak, trying to decide what to do. To make matters worse, the ship bucked suddenly from some kind of impact, jolting the bridge crew. Then the lights went out and the viewscreen went dead, leaving the bridge in darkness.

USS Sutherland
Bridge

Captain Shelby inhaled sharply as the image of the Persepheron’s bridge faded from view. “Helm, ETA at maximum warp?”

Lieutenant Django shook her head, “Five hours, thirteen minutes Captain.”

“Then it looks like we’re going to go faster than maximum warp. I don’t want to get there just to search a debris field. Sam, didn’t you say they were near Starbase 214? Hail them and patch it to me.”

Shelby strode into her ready room and as the door swished closed behind her, Lavelle turned to the Ensign at Ops, “You heard the Captain, hail Starbase 214 and send it in there.”

Without waiting for acknowledgement, Lavelle punched up engineering and prepared to give them the good news.
http://www.smashwords.com/profile/view/pdorris
Dulak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24 2007, 05:02 PM   #93
DavidFalkayn
Commodore

Re: Star Trek: Shepard; Recovery, Chapter 9

Things are picking up nicely here. We have the mystery of the two chiefs and the Sutherland on its way to the rescue. Poor Jadon, his engines are in for another workout...

Well done!
Old December 27 2007, 03:36 PM   #94
TheLoneRedshirt
Commodore

This is fun! You provide a lot of detail and character interplay along with a unique and interesting plot. The two chiefs are certainly a mystery! And now the Sutherland is speeding along to enter the fray. What will they find when they arrive?
Old December 27 2007, 07:29 PM   #95
Mistral
Vice Admiral

Sweet story. I had read the very first part when you first revealed it and then forgotten about it because there didn't seem to be more forthcoming. I'm glad I got a chance to read this. 2 Chiefs and primitive Borg minus a collective-very intriguing!

Mistral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28 2007, 01:51 AM   #96
Dnoth
Fleet Captain

The two 'chiefs' was interesting, but to tell you the truth; I'm still more intrigued by these "primitive" borg.