RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,668
Members: 24,821
Currently online: 421
Newest member: SB118_Laxyn

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Old June 21 2007, 08:02 PM   #1
TiberiusK
Captain

Captain Kirk, Mr. Spock, and JFK? (Roddenberry's movie)

This is so strange. An article on Roddenberry's rejected pitch for Star Trek II, III, and IV. Has anyone read the outline, or is there more detail about the plot?

Full text: http://startrekdom.blogspot.com/2007...-rejected.html

Short teaser:

In the spring of 1980, Gene Roddenberry sat down to write a 60-page outline for a sequel to the first Star Trek feature film. Unlike The Motion Picture, the next one, he hoped, would be a Gene Roddenberry script, not a creative mishmash that went through the hands of countless other writers and studio executives. This would be the film that he wanted to make, and no one could claim co-writer credits or file grievances with the Writers' Guild. Committees be damned! Trek was his baby, and he was confident that Paramount would welcome his storyline with open arms and open wallets.

What was his grand idea? It involved time-travel, Klingons, and a beloved American president: JFK. Apparently, after losing ships to V'GR, Klingons locate the "Guardian of Forever" (seen in "The City on the Edge of Forever"), and they diabolically use the time portal to travel back to 1963. There, amidst bell bottoms, go-go boots, and Beatles fans, these rogue Klingons succeed in stopping the assassination of JFK. Perhaps they kidnap Lee Harvey Oswald, or maybe they abduct the president and feed him Gagh! Somehow... they keep JFK alive.
TiberiusK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21 2007, 08:49 PM   #2
A beaker full of death
Vice Admiral

Re: Captain Kirk, Mr. Spock, and JFK? (Roddenberry's movie)

You know... it's not like it's a horrible idea.

As I recall Spock ends up behind the grassy knoll.
Old June 21 2007, 09:05 PM   #3
TiberiusK
Captain

A beaker full of death said:
You know... it's not like it's a horrible idea.

As I recall Spock ends up behind the grassy knoll.
Using 1960s technology to rig a communicator it overloads the moment Kennedy gets shot, and a puff of black smoke rises into the air.

That explains everything!

And Jack Ruby was a changling.
Old June 21 2007, 09:54 PM   #4
Turd Ferguson
Commodore

I wouldn't have minded seeing this story reach the screen. Would've been a helluva lot better than what II - IV turned out to be. Gigantic reset button, my ass!

Personally, I liked the designs of the uniforms from TMP and would've loved to see them in future installments.
Old June 21 2007, 10:02 PM   #5
Jon1701
Rear Admiral

Meh.

Whats driving the story? As pointed out in the article, this is essentially a rehash of "City on the Edge of Forever".

Even uses the same fucking plot device.

I preferred the one on the planet of the cow people. Or the one where Kirk gets his brain seared...
Old June 21 2007, 10:22 PM   #6
TiberiusK
Captain

Wasn't there a Phase II script outline that also used the same plot device?

My god, did Roddenberry have any original ideas beyond the same 4 recycled plotlines? Well, I gueess Omega Glory was uniquely stupid, as was his Assignment: Earth attempt to use Trek to sell an unrelated pilot.
Old June 22 2007, 12:32 AM   #7
Sir Rhosis
Commodore

As much grief as this idea gets I, too, would like to at least read Rodenberry's full outline before condemning it.

Sir Rhosis

Read "Origins" at http://www.orionpressfanzines.com/articles/origins.htm
Sir Rhosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22 2007, 02:34 AM   #8
Peach Wookiee
Cuddly Mod of Doom

Wonder what Oliver Stone would've done with it..?
Peach Wookiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22 2007, 03:47 AM   #9
cardinal biggles
THE ZEPPO

Send a message via ICQ to cardinal biggles Send a message via AIM to cardinal biggles Send a message via Yahoo to cardinal biggles

TiberiusK said:
This would be the film that he wanted to make, and no one could claim co-writer credits or file grievances with the Writers' Guild.
Well, no one except Harlan Ellison, on account of GR including the Guardian of Forever in his storyline.

Peach Wookiee said:
Wonder what Oliver Stone would've done with it..?
"For those of you playing the home game, this is what is known as a 'Prince Albert'. And I'm sure that was his last wish. 'Victoria, I'm dying. I want you to name a museum, a performance hall, and a bolt through the cock after me.'"
—Robin Williams, Live on Broadway
cardinal biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22 2007, 05:52 AM   #10
Good Will Riker
Admiral

^^^ It's been a while since I've watched my copy of Oliver Stone's director's cut of JFK on DVD. I must have blinked and missed this particular scene.
Good Will Riker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22 2007, 06:08 AM   #11
Jack Bauer
Fleet Admiral

All I can say about this idea is . Man, GR was starting to lose it even then.
Old June 22 2007, 09:31 AM   #12
GodThingFormerly
A Different Kind of Asshole

Sir Rhosis said:
As much grief as this idea gets I, too, would like to at least read Roddenberry's full outline before condemning it.
Seriously. In any event, Mike Okuda gave a brief description of that treatment circa 2005 at TrekBBS.com:

"I read Roddenberry's JFK story treatment years ago. It really has been a long time since I read it, but I recall that Spock did NOT kill JFK, contrary to rumor. There were a lot of dramatic elements in the story, including a devastating attack on the Federation, the death of Sarek and Amanda, the Enterprise crashing in the arctic tundra, and a very different version of the Klingons. It certainly would have been far more expensive to make than Star Trek IV or any of the Trek films, with the possible exception of Star Trek: TMP."

TGT
GodThingFormerly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22 2007, 02:24 PM   #13
Hambone
Fleet Captain

This certainly reminds me of one of the stories they did on the 1980's "Twilight Zone". A history professor from the future travels back in time to witness JFK's death, but when the time comes he can't stand by and watch it happen so he saves the president. This disrupts the space-time continuum causing massive storms, earthquakes and floods. In the end the professor goes back again and takes JFK's place and is killed, while JFK returns to the future and becomes a guest history lecturer.

Stupid.
Old June 22 2007, 04:44 PM   #14
Unicron
Continuity Spackle

Send a message via ICQ to Unicron

^ I think it also caused a new history that was bad, as JFK surviving meant there was a nuclear war with the Russians. Or something like that.

"My dream is to eat candy and poop emeralds. I'm halfway successful."

Catbert, Evil Director of Human Resources
Unicron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22 2007, 04:59 PM   #15
TiberiusK
Captain

^Jeez did Roddenberry hate JFK or something?