RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 143,292
Posts: 5,604,945
Members: 25,407
Currently online: 603
Newest member: bumpey65

TrekToday headlines

Star Trek: The Ultimate Voyage
By: T'Bonz on Mar 6

Harve Bennett Passes
By: T'Bonz on Mar 6

Quinto To Guest Star On Crime Show
By: T'Bonz on Mar 5

Star Trek/Doctor Who Parody Comic
By: T'Bonz on Mar 4

Nimoy Commemorative Magazine
By: T'Bonz on Mar 4

Saturday Night Live Trek Skit
By: T'Bonz on Mar 3

Two IDW Publishing Trek Comics Previews
By: T'Bonz on Mar 3

Shatner: Celebrate Life
By: T'Bonz on Mar 3

March-April 2015 Trek Conventions And Appearances
By: T'Bonz on Mar 2

Shatner Shares Nimoy Memories
By: T'Bonz on Mar 2


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old February 21 2015, 09:40 PM   #1
Pubert
Lieutenant
 
Are The Majority Of Posters On TT Liberal?

I was told that before I joined and am just curious. I myself am a conservative but I do know that many liberals tend to flock to Star Trek because they feel it is the great society that only liberalism could create. I have friends and family who are liberal so this isn't a thread to rip on liberals its just more of a curiosity really.
Pubert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21 2015, 09:44 PM   #2
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral
 
Mr. Laser Beam's Avatar
 
Location: The visitor's bullpen
View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile
Re: Are The Majority Of Posters On TT Liberal?

There's a wide variety of political beliefs here. No one should feel left out.

I lean to the right myself, and I've never felt insulted because of my beliefs. It's all about how you express them.
__________________
"A hot dog at the ballpark is better than a steak at the Ritz." - Humphrey Bogart
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21 2015, 09:47 PM   #3
Pubert
Lieutenant
 
Re: Are The Majority Of Posters On TT Liberal?

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
There's a wide variety of political beliefs here. No one should feel left out.

I lean to the right myself, and I've never felt insulted because of my beliefs. It's all about how you express them.

Agreed. My sister and brother in law are liberals but we never really seem to argue mostly just discuss.
Pubert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21 2015, 10:01 PM   #4
Miss Chicken
Little three legged cat with attitude
 
Miss Chicken's Avatar
 
Location: Howrah, Hobart, Tasmania
Re: Are The Majority Of Posters On TT Liberal?

In Australia, of the two major political party - The Liberals and Labor - the Liberals are the most conservative and I think they are probably as left as the Democrats in America.

I have voted Labor most in my life. however as Labor has moved away from their grassroots origins and become more central I find myself voting for the Greens and suitable independent candidates.

So by American standards I am certainly a liberal.
Miss Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21 2015, 10:03 PM   #5
Melakon
Admiral
 
Melakon's Avatar
 
Location: Unmarked grave
Re: Are The Majority Of Posters On TT Liberal?

Liberal and Conservative can have different meanings based on one's own moral policy. I was raised Republican, but veered Democrat in my 20s. I'm somewhere beyond center.
__________________
Dr. Howard, Dr. Fine, Dr. Howard: For duty and humanity! --Men in Black (1934)
Melakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21 2015, 10:05 PM   #6
Locutus of Bored
Too Many Secrets
 
Locutus of Bored's Avatar
 
Location: Huntington Beach, California
Re: Are The Majority Of Posters On TT Liberal?

Left Wing would probably be the term you're looking for, as the American and European (and in other parts of the world) definitions of liberals have some major differences, but yes, the majority of the board leans to the Left. That being said, the admin of the site and many of the mods and posters are conservative leaning, so it is welcome to people of various political beliefs.

As MLB correctly stated, how you are treated very often comes down to the manner in which you state your beliefs and whether you back it up with evidence rather than solely what you believe. We have had as many liberal posters who have run into trouble with other members as we have had conservatives. The bottom line is, if you argue in good faith, back up what you say with evidence, and treat people with respect (which amounts to a lot more than just not name-calling), you'll be treated fairly even if people disagree with what you have to say.

Anyway, welcome to the board. I hope the political leanings of the majority of the posters here are really the least of your concerns, because it's not important for most discussions here.
__________________
'First Contact' is the tale of a man who just wants to cash in on his creation so he can get wasted on an island full of naked women, but his fans keep insisting that he's a saintly visionary who has profoundly altered the world. AKA - 'I Don't Want to be a Statue: The Gene Roddenberry Story.'
Locutus of Bored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21 2015, 10:09 PM   #7
J. Allen
Remember... Remember.
 
J. Allen's Avatar
 
Location: United States
Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen
Re: Are The Majority Of Posters On TT Liberal?

Pubert wrote: View Post
I was told that before I joined and am just curious. I myself am a conservative but I do know that many liberals tend to flock to Star Trek because they feel it is the great society that only liberalism could create. I have friends and family who are liberal so this isn't a thread to rip on liberals its just more of a curiosity really.
I much prefer to take things on a case by case basis, as little in life is black and white, but overall I'm definitely more liberal. To me, Star Trek is about humanity working together, regardless of belief, to make life better for everyone.
__________________
“I've noticed that about your people, Doctor. You find it easier to understand the death of one than the death of a million. You speak about the objective hardness of the Vulcan heart, yet how little room there seems to be in yours.” - Spock, The Immunity Syndrome

Leonard Nimoy: 1931 - 2015
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22 2015, 12:07 AM   #8
MacLeod
Admiral
 
Location: Great Britain
Re: Are The Majority Of Posters On TT Liberal?

As Locutus points out left-right leaning would be a better term but even that is not entirely accurate as left-right also varys from country to country Left leaning in the US might be closer to the centre in some parts of the world.

Maybe not entirely relevant but I think surveys have shown that hypothetically most Europeans would vote Democract out of the Republican Party or the Democractic party were they given a choiuce.

But as Locutus says your political leanings don't really matter, it's how one conduct's themselves.
__________________
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 22 2015, 12:19 AM   #9
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral
 
Guy Gardener's Avatar
 
Location: In the lap of squalor I assure you.
Re: Are The Majority Of Posters On TT Liberal?

Pubert, a large fraction of this board are dirty foreigners who really can't tell the difference between the liberals and republicans in (I'm assuming?) your countries political stratification.
__________________
"Glitter is the herpes of arts and craft."

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22 2015, 01:14 AM   #10
YellowSubmarine
Rear Admiral
 
YellowSubmarine's Avatar
 
Re: Are The Majority Of Posters On TT Liberal?

I certainly am not. I have no love for liberal politicians and other such right-wings. A proud anarchocommunist here. Or at least that's what Political Compass claims I am, but I have trust no compasses as they are an invention of our evil corporate overlords created solely to drive the stars out of business.

I don't even wear ties. True story.
__________________
R.I.P. Cadet James T. Kirk (-1651)
YellowSubmarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22 2015, 01:43 AM   #11
Haggis and tatties
Rear Admiral
 
Haggis and tatties's Avatar
 
Location: Glasgow
Re: Are The Majority Of Posters On TT Liberal?

IDIC.
__________________

Haggis and tatties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22 2015, 02:12 AM   #12
fonzob1
Lieutenant Commander
 
fonzob1's Avatar
 
Re: Are The Majority Of Posters On TT Liberal?

Pubert wrote: View Post
I was told that before I joined and am just curious. I myself am a conservative but I do know that many liberals tend to flock to Star Trek because they feel it is the great society that only liberalism could create. I have friends and family who are liberal so this isn't a thread to rip on liberals its just more of a curiosity really.
A poll probably would have helped.
fonzob1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22 2015, 02:21 AM   #13
Relayer1
Rear Admiral
 
Relayer1's Avatar
 
Location: The Black Country, England
Re: Are The Majority Of Posters On TT Liberal?

It's all context specific.

Our major right wing party in the UK, the Conservatives, are not that far to the right of the Democrats.

To us in the UK, the Republicans are seen as extreme right.

I'm what European's would call a socialist. American's would probably see me as a raging communist...
__________________
Soon oh soon the light, Pass within and soothe this endless night, And wait here for you, Our reason to be here...
Relayer1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 22 2015, 02:25 AM   #14
E-DUB
Captain
 
Re: Are The Majority Of Posters On TT Liberal?

I think it would be hard to even gauge that given the large international contingent here and given the definitional differences between countries. However, I think it would be fair to say that the "Trek ethos" attracts a lot of people who don't fit neatly into the categories that seem to dominate political discussion, at least in the US.

I regard myself as "liberal" but hold a lot of view which would have been considered conservative as recently as ten years ago. Maybe leftist libertarian would work as a label.
E-DUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22 2015, 03:54 AM   #15
Pubert
Lieutenant
 
Re: Are The Majority Of Posters On TT Liberal?

fonzob1 wrote: View Post
Pubert wrote: View Post
I was told that before I joined and am just curious. I myself am a conservative but I do know that many liberals tend to flock to Star Trek because they feel it is the great society that only liberalism could create. I have friends and family who are liberal so this isn't a thread to rip on liberals its just more of a curiosity really.
A poll probably would have helped.

I haven't learned how to do the polls yet. Good idea though. The thread would have been better with one.
Pubert is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:04 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.