RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,413
Members: 24,631
Currently online: 431
Newest member: vicky013

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old April 1 2009, 06:40 AM   #106
Gary7
Rear Admiral

Re: Anyone Else Love "Whom Gods Destroy"?

JustKate wrote: View Post
Maybe I'm violating some etiquette guideline here by resurrecting this thread, but I was home sick yesterday, and I saw some episodes of The Outer Limits, including a pretty good one ("The Inheritors") featuring Steve Ihnat. He gave a very quiet and understated performance, too.
Thanks for mentioning that--I'll have to keep that episode in mind. Are there any websites out there streaming The Outer Limits episodes?
Gary7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1 2009, 02:18 PM   #107
JustKate
Rear Admiral

^ I saw these episodes on SciFi - yeah, it kind of surprised me, too.

As for streaming, I did a quick google, but all I found were episodes of the remake show. I didn't have time to look very deeply, though, so that doesn't mean there isn't anything out there.
JustKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1 2009, 06:46 PM   #108
Doug Otte
Fleet Captain

Maybe I'm violating some etiquette guideline here by resurrecting this thread, but I was home sick yesterday, and I saw some episodes of The Outer Limits, including a pretty good one ("The Inheritors") featuring Steve Ihnat. He gave a very quiet and understated performance, too.
There's nothing wrong in resurrecting a thread, but FYI this was already mentioned in post #9.

Doug
Doug Otte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1 2009, 07:44 PM   #109
Timo
Admiral

Glad you liked it Too Much Fun! Next time you watch it, look carefully at Kirk's hands when he struggles with Marta; her green paint comes off on him...
It does add another layer of depth to her character if we accept that said character was actually wearing green makeup, in order to look like an Orion slave girl...

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1 2009, 07:46 PM   #110
JustKate
Rear Admiral

Doug Otte wrote: View Post
There's nothing wrong in resurrecting a thread, but FYI this was already mentioned in post #9.
Oh, well. It deserves a second notice, IMO. I hadn't noticed it anyway.
JustKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3 2009, 09:49 PM   #111
Cakes488
Commodore

View Cakes488's Twitter Profile

Doug Otte wrote: View Post
Oh, well. It deserves a second notice, IMO. I hadn't noticed it anyway.
We are approaching Easter after all so I feel this resurrection is completely appropriate! LOL
Cakes488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4 2009, 10:35 PM   #112
Steve67
Commander

"Our beloved governor has decided to address us!"

Sir Rhosis wrote: View Post
Ihnat was a marvelous actor. If you get a chance, find an episode of the original "Outer Limits," entitled The Inheritors. Ihnat at his low-key, underplayed best.

Sir Rhosis
I'm not sure where I found the following quote, but it's a great piece on the late, great Mr. Ihnat:

"...it is amazing to observe how thoroughly Ihnat dominates the proceedings; just as "Space Seed" was Ricardo Montalban's episode, "Whom Gods Destroy" is Ihnat's episode—and it is a tribute to both men's talents that I can recall no other Star Trek episodes in which star performers William Shatner and Leonard Nimoy were so forcefully shoved to the sidelines. [amen!--Steve67]

However, his most memorable performance came in a two-part episode of The Outer Limits, "The Inheritors," where he again outshone a capable competitor—a young Robert Duvall—in portraying a soldier, turned into a genius by an alien implant, who conspires to kidnap some handicapped children and take them to the aliens' planet where, we are finally told, they will be cured to live happy lives. Persuasively sympathetic in an apparently villainous role, Ihnat made a slow-moving story strangely involving. He was also impressive in two episodes of Mission: Impossible, a program ideally suited to his subdued air of authority, and although he was given little to do as a NASA general in the film Countdown, he did it very well."
Old April 5 2009, 07:28 AM   #113
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

Re: "Our beloved governor has decided to address us!"

Steve67 wrote: View Post

I'm not sure where I found the following quote, but it's a great piece on the late, great Mr. Ihnat:
Here, perhaps?
Old April 5 2009, 02:30 PM   #114
Steve67
Commander

Re: "Our beloved governor has decided to address us!"

M'Sharak wrote: View Post
Steve67 wrote: View Post

Here, perhaps?
That's the one! Thank you.

With the release of so many 1960s TV shows on DVD, Ihnat is once again available to fans, especially since so many programs no longer are syndicated. Encore Westerns channel recently aired Ihnat's lone directorial effort, The Honkers (1972) which starred James Coburn. And of course, I don't presently have that channel on my cable...
Old April 21 2009, 08:00 AM   #115
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile

There's been quite a lot of talk about this episode in this forum lately so I popped it in and watched it last night. I'm not sure if I would say it was great (That goes to episodes, from this season, like Day of the Dove, Spectre of the Gun, and Tholian Web) but it was pretty good. Liked the guy who played Garth, and Marta was pretty hot for an Orion slave girl. Still can't believe they blew her up though. They seemed to be doing a lot of risky stuff during the third season.
SJSharksfan39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21 2009, 07:50 PM   #116
Cakes488
Commodore

View Cakes488's Twitter Profile

tomalak301 wrote: View Post
There's been quite a lot of talk about this episode in this forum lately so I popped it in and watched it last night. I'm not sure if I would say it was great (That goes to episodes, from this season, like Day of the Dove, Spectre of the Gun, and Tholian Web) but it was pretty good. Liked the guy who played Garth, and Marta was pretty hot for an Orion slave girl. Still can't believe they blew her up though. They seemed to be doing a lot of risky stuff during the third season.
I do the same thing...watch an ep that's everyone is talking about and then I watch it with yet another new fresh perspective....

Amazing how this show never gets old huh? Oh and I don't think I've mentioned yet today how much I love TOS...so there now it's done.
Cakes488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21 2009, 09:37 PM   #117
Steve67
Commander

I'm pleased that this thread has managed to come back so many times and any interest in the episode stemming from it is even better.

I hope that even though some of you might not like the episode per se, you'll give it another chance, if only to see a great actor like Steve Ihnat in an all-too-brief career owning every second he's onscreen. Do check out the previously posted excerpt from the Mission: Impossible episode "The Mind of Stefan Miklos" earlier in this now-massive thread for a completely different characterization by Ihnat.
Old April 24 2009, 11:30 PM   #118
Gary7
Rear Admiral

Thought I'd give Garth a little more air time. He's filling in for Kirk, who's on leave.

Last edited by Gary Sever; April 25 2009 at 06:42 PM.
Old April 25 2009, 06:40 PM   #119
Gary7
Rear Admiral

Old April 25 2009, 11:19 PM   #120
Plum
Rear Admiral

There's one thing about this episode that has driven me nuts for ages. What the hell did Kirk mean by his last words in the show? And Spock gets all introspective. I've no idea what that line means! If anyone could explain it too me...