To Be Takei Review by Spencer Blohm
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Mulgrew: Playing Red

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments

Funko Mini Spock
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old February 24 2009, 02:46 AM   #91
Steve67
Commander

Re: Anyone Else Love "Whom Gods Destroy"?

Glad you liked it Too Much Fun! Next time you watch it, look carefully at Kirk's hands when he struggles with Marta; her green paint comes off on him...
Old February 24 2009, 06:33 AM   #92
Too Much Fun
Commodore

I actually did notice that! I read some trivia about "Day of the Dove" saying that Kang's wife's make-up came off on Chekov and thought I should watch out for things like that from now on, and sure enough, it happened on this episode. In the scene where she was getting really 'friendly' with Kirk I knew it was bound to happen sooner or later, so I kept a close watch for it. It just strengthened my conviction that they should have let Yvonne Craig just look like herself. That was the funniest unintentional moment after she kissed Kirk and you could clearly see the green on his hands. It must have taken some restraint for Shatner not to ruin the shot by not staring at it or trying to cover/wipe it off.
Too Much Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28 2009, 12:52 AM   #93
Gary7
Rear Admiral

http://www.trekcore.com/specials/rare/kirk_marta.jpg

Last edited by T'Bonz; March 2 2009 at 02:05 PM. Reason: hotlinking
Gary7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28 2009, 02:44 AM   #94
Too Much Fun
Commodore

Great photo. Where do you guys dig up this stuff?
Too Much Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2 2009, 08:38 AM   #95
Gary7
Rear Admiral

Glad you like it. I stumbled upon it by accident at TrekCore, in the rare photos gallery. There are many great photos there, including behind the scenes and publicity photos seldom seen.
Old March 2 2009, 09:15 AM   #96
NathanielM
Captain

Steve67 wrote: View Post
I'll have to admit that I've watched this episode three times in the last couple of weeks. Sure, it's not the "best" episode, but there's much to like:

1) The late, great Steve Ihnat as Lord Garth - Over-the-top doesn't begin to describe his performance! Love the little changes in his voice, from high-pitched adolescent, to lo-voiced psycho. "Si-lience!"
He was a pretty funny guy the bloopers are great. Made Shatner and cast crack up...

2) Shatner as Garth - The scene in the beginning when Garth assumes Kirk's form. Shatner as Garth laughs, has a temper tantrum and hams it up, as if the Shat needed a reason.
Shatner NEVER needs a reason to ham it up.. He does so anyway. Shatner is a "Ham-o-saurus." If you look that up in the unofficial trek dictionary it has Bill shatner in his classic over acting twilight zone gig. "There's something out on the wing! Some thing!" and even his over acting bits in the undiscovered country.

3) The Restrained McCoy - Too much Tri-Ox compound, perhaps? Kelley is positively medicated here! He's not even angry!
It was the writers, they were not always doing their best work and writing good scripts... it was a low budget series. All the actors had the bouts where there were lines left out omitted and bad dialogue. Kelley was never given any good lines until about season 2... and a few season 3 ones too.

Examples:
Amok time he had a few great one liners,
Journey to Babel
Space Seed
By any other name <- classic Mccoy quack doctor bit...
The Paradise Syndome
The Ultimate computer
Omega Glory
Immunity Syndrome
Friday's Child <-- alot of history for mccoy's early career as a doctor.
Is there in truth no beauty

For the world is hollow and I have touched the sky <-- his best episode.

This episode actually linked very well to Star Trek the motion Picture and explained what Mccoy did after resigning angrily from Starfleet when Kirk was promoted when they returned from the 5 year mission. His research into fabercini medicine symbols taken from that episode.

4) Yvonne Craig as Marta - After watching her here, I flipped on the Wild, Wild West season one DVD set and watched “The Night of the Grand Emir”, where the lovely Yvonne does another dance, back in 1965-66.
Quick where's the Bat Bike... and the skimpy leather suit she wore to show off her hooters.

That was a pretty obscure part for her after her fame for being Bat girl... It wasn't bad, rather would have liked to see her with a little more to do than to run around half naked and try to seduce Kirk... and Garth.

5) The Return of the Neural Neutralizer - Yes, some form of continuity! Even Kirk says he recognizes it! Also note the Federation Nut House uniforms making another appearance. Keye Luke's uni looked pretty baggy. Guess james Gregory's size was bigger.
Well low budget series, you will see alot of reused props... look closely on the stage too.. tops of like the Changeling Nomad robot head, and other parts about... Typical... NBC was pretty cheap...

6) "Queen to Queen's Level Three"- Classic, my friends.
Yes and a legitament and REAL move.. try stacking three chess boards on top of each other, and play chess in three dimensions. I tried that after seeing that episode, and you must think in three dimensional terms and logic.
NathanielM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2 2009, 02:06 PM   #97
T'Bonz
Romulan Curmudgeon

A quick reminder. If you're using a picture from another place, put it on your own webspace, or else put it up as a clickable link. Thanks!

Romulans aren't paranoid. We're merely proactively cautious.
T'Bonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2 2009, 04:02 PM   #98
Tan Ru
Captain

boy, THAT is not a great shot of Shatner is it?
Old March 2 2009, 10:05 PM   #99
Steve67
Commander

He was a pretty funny guy the bloopers are great. Made Shatner and cast crack up...
I haven't seen the Ihnat bloopers! I'm off to search for them now!

I've seen some stills of Ihnat and James Coburn chatting on the set of IN LIKE FLINT and got the impression they were fast friends. In fact, Ihnat later directed Coburn in the forgotten rodeo movie The Honkers. I've been trying to compile as much of Ihnat's work as I can find on DVD and it's fun to see the way he often slips in under the radar, a true chameleon, though he certainly wasn't on Whom Gods Destroy!
Old March 3 2009, 05:50 PM   #100
Steve67
Commander

Can't find the Ihnat bloopers, but I saw that he played in an episode of HONEY WEST as a character named---you guessed it---Garth!
Old March 3 2009, 07:24 PM   #101
Steven Of Nine
Commodore

Gary7 wrote: View Post

Publicity photo... stumbled upon it.

Damn, that's an awesome picture.
Old March 4 2009, 09:21 PM   #102
Gary7
Rear Admiral

T'Bonz wrote: View Post
A quick reminder. If you're using a picture from another place, put it on your own webspace, or else put it up as a clickable link. Thanks!
Sorry about that... I need to reread the forum rules. Is the general reason for not embedding images due to the hit intensity that might result from TrekBBS, raising a red flag for the image source website?
Old March 5 2009, 06:27 AM   #103
T'Bonz
Romulan Curmudgeon

Yeah. They tend to get irked in cases like this and will email us.

Romulans aren't paranoid. We're merely proactively cautious.
T'Bonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31 2009, 07:29 PM   #104
JustKate
Rear Admiral

Maybe I'm violating some etiquette guideline here by resurrecting this thread, but I was home sick yesterday, and I saw some episodes of The Outer Limits, including a pretty good one ("The Inheritors") featuring Steve Ihnat. He gave a very quiet and understated performance, too.

Last edited by JustKate; March 31 2009 at 08:48 PM.
JustKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31 2009, 08:39 PM   #105
Shatmandu
Vice Admiral

If the Devil existed and he had an anus, it would look like "Whom Gods Destroy."

Joe, absolute
Shatmandu is offline   Reply With Quote