Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old February 18 2009, 06:24 PM   #76
Cakes488
Commodore

View Cakes488's Twitter Profile
Re: Anyone Else Love "Whom Gods Destroy"?

Captain Leslie wrote: View Post
Sometimes you can just enjoy an episode for what it is rather than for what it fails to be! I like this one pretty well.
Beautifully said! And I do love this episode...I think it's hysterical.
That Garth is so wonderfully abusive !

The only thing that I questioned as a child was the two kirks standing side by side...I remember thinking that is so obviously NOT Kirk...
Cakes488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18 2009, 07:04 PM   #77
JustKate
Rear Admiral

I like this episode a whole lot. Garth (excuse me - Lord Garth) is fab, and I also particularly like that scene with Spock.
JustKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18 2009, 08:10 PM   #78
Steve67
Commander

Another bit that screams "third season" is Spock being dragged off after the main credits in order to save on special effects; they don't even bother to show Garth stunning him!
Old February 18 2009, 08:47 PM   #79
ScatmanRescueMe
Lieutenant Commander

Steve67 wrote: View Post
Another bit that screams "third season" is Spock being dragged off after the main credits in order to save on special effects; they don't even bother to show Garth stunning him!

Right, I think they filmed him being stunned and then in editing realized they could save a few bucks by not doing the effect and just showing the aftermath.

But to the main point of this thread....

why do people love to extoll the episodes with all the really terrible overacting. Is bad acting so rare that it just seems fun to see it?

Ihnat was a good actor, but the director was a jerk to let him & Shatner go crazy like they did. As Nick meyer pointed out---crazy is WAAAY more scary when it's underplayed.

The concept was good (even though something of a re-tread of 'Dagger..')

I would havepreferred a very rare 'saved by Sulu' ending.

If you notice many 1st & 2nd season episodes had the Landing party and ship working together to resolve the problem---later they just went with Kirk & Spock saving themselves. Way better if Scoot & Sulu had come up with a way to breach the dome and rescue Kirk. Would have been a surprise for the audience who had gotten used to kirk pucnhing his way out of every problem.
ScatmanRescueMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18 2009, 09:08 PM   #80
Gary7
Rear Admiral

Jeri wrote: View Post
Gary7, Yeah, they did a pruning of the board, I guess, maybe six months after the thread was posted, and it disappeared. There were a lot of interesting comments.

The screen caps remain at my mac.com photo albums, though. They begin in the Archival Album, where you need to scroll down until they start.
Thanks Jeri, I found them. Some really great material there, especially of Sherry Jackson. I still find it amazing how much she looks like Jane Leeves (Frazier).
Gary7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19 2009, 04:45 AM   #81
Jeri
Vice Admiral

I think my favorite might be Galt and Viper (Joseph Ruskin).
Old February 19 2009, 04:46 AM   #82
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

[...]

What's brilliant about Ihnat is that for the longest time he was a true acting "chameleon", always pulling me into a given performance and then only at the credits did I realize it was he I was watching!
[...]
You know who else tends to do that a lot for me is Michael McKean. I've done that "Oh, he was in this?" routine watching the end credits more than a couple of times. Ihnat was brilliant, though, and died far too young.

Gary7 wrote: View Post
I tried searching on posts by your name with keywords like "crossover" and "guest", but nothing came up. Maybe they've rolled off the searchable archives...
That happens here? Now I know why my "Walter Koenig: Teen Idol?" thread can't be found. I hope that fate isn't shared by this thread, as it's been a good one...I guess I'd better save it myself!
It used to happen a lot more. There was a pretty strict prune before the board switched over to the vBulletin software at about this time last year. If your Walter Koenig thread was from before that, it's probably gone. I'm pretty sure I remember seeing it, but it's been quite a while.

Edit:

Here's a Sherry Jackson thread Jeri posted some time back: http://trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=45368

Your Walter Koenig thread and Jeri's earlier WWW/Trek crossovers thread I couldn't find; they're probably gone. There is a list of all the actors who had roles on both series, though.

Last edited by M'Sharak; February 19 2009 at 04:57 AM.
M'Sharak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19 2009, 04:49 AM   #83
Jeri
Vice Admiral

I never was frightened of clowns until Michael McKean did one.
Old February 19 2009, 04:58 AM   #84
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

He was good, wasn't he?
Old February 19 2009, 04:58 AM   #85
Gary7
Rear Admiral

Publicity photo... stumbled upon it.
Gary7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19 2009, 01:53 PM   #86
Steve67
Commander

M'Sharak wrote: View Post
Your Walter Koenig thread and Jeri's earlier WWW/Trek crossovers thread I couldn't find; they're probably gone. There is a list of all the actors who had roles on both series, though.
Aw, crud. Then maybe I should restart it...

Ihnat again: I just love the way he says "Ahh, our beloved governor has decided to address us!"

The man was having a ball in that role...
Old February 19 2009, 06:25 PM   #87
Grant
Fleet Captain

Perhaps he was---but the audience--not so much.

terrible episode--but had potential like so many others.
Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19 2009, 06:55 PM   #88
Jeri
Vice Admiral

M'Sharak wrote: View Post
He was good, wasn't he?
He's an artist. I agree about his versatility; my favorite role of his is "Morris Fletcher," from the X-Files -- an unforgettable, exciting character.

Thanks for digging up that link to the old thread.

gary7, that's a stunning picture of Yvonne!
Old February 24 2009, 12:41 AM   #89
Jeri
Vice Admiral

Gary7 wrote: View Post
I tried searching on posts by your name with keywords like "crossover" and "guest", but nothing came up. Maybe they've rolled off the searchable archives...
That happens here? Now I know why my "Walter Koenig: Teen Idol?" thread can't be found. I hope that fate isn't shared by this thread, as it's been a good one...I guess I'd better save it myself!
I just thought of something: I wonder if anybody's found any of these old TrekBBS archives at the "Wayback Machine" online?
Old February 24 2009, 02:12 AM   #90
Too Much Fun
Commodore

Just saw this episode for the first time today and enjoyed it very much. One of the best episodes I've seen in a mostly wretched third season. I love the over-the-top villain, and Yvonne Craig was lovely and adorable as Marta. One of my favourite female characters ever on this show. I just wish she hadn't been covered in green paint, but even with all of that, she still looked very pretty. Not many women could pull that off...her beauty still shined through all that unnecessary make-up.

Her blantant plagirism of poetry and nonsensical statements like her reaction to being accused of it, "which doesn't alter the fact that I wrote it again yesterday!" and her declaration about Kirk, "he's my lover and I have to kill him!" were hilarious. Most everything she said was so cute and the way she came on to Kirk was somehow more endearing than the way so many other women did on the series. I was surprised by how saddened I was by this character being killed. At first she just seemed like a typical submissive one-dimensional evil female character as was common on this show (and she kind of was), but I thought she was more memorable than that and seemed to transcend what could have been a nothing role. She just struck me as very lovably naive and childish, even though she was supposedly a "bad guy".

The interaction with her, the villain, and Kirk was comedic gold too - ("I'm the most beautiful woman on this planet!" "You're the only woman on this planet, you stupid cow!"). I loved the crazy captain's constant yelling and cartoonish supervillainy and it was a pleasure to see Shatner doing his evil/possessed Kirk schtick again. To me, the one in this episode was the most entertaining villain since Khan, but of course not as threatening and able to be taken seriously as him. If I had to rate this episode, I would rate it Queen to Queen's level three...I mean three out of three.
Too Much Fun is offline   Reply With Quote