Insight Editions Announces Three Trek Books For 2015
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

To Be Takei Review by Spencer Blohm

Mulgrew: Playing Red

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Battlestar Galactica & Caprica

Battlestar Galactica & Caprica This forum was created by man. It rebelled. It evolved. And it has a plan.

Old October 11 2006, 06:12 AM   #91
MIB
Rear Admiral

Re: Ratings are in !

Toresica said:
Every time a show changes, they lose viewers. DS9, VOY, and ENT all had their highest viewing rates at the beginning of their runs. ENT tried to shake things up a few times - at the beginning of seasons 3 and 4 - and paid for that with an early cancellation.

Stargate Atlantis started out much less popular then SG-1 - even if their viewing numbers were about the same, SG-1 nearly always won the "which show do you like better" polls - both here and at Gateworld. It's taken years for people (including me) to admit that Atlantis is actually pretty good.

Overall, people just don't like change. The public outcry when Ploto was de-planetized is another indictation of that.
Sadly, I'm going to have to agree with this. It makes it a bit rough on viewers like me who LOVE change in shows though. Voyager, SG-1, Enterprise, Malcolm in the Middle, & The Simpsons are but a fraction of shows I've lost total interest in when, after watching 3 or 4 seasons, it was still the same ol' nonesense over and over.
Old October 11 2006, 06:19 AM   #92
John O.
Rear Admiral

I'm a little more pessimistic in that I don't see it as people don't like change, but rather that they can't handle change. We're just too fickle. Idk what may've caused it but the average TV viewer's attention span makes an ADHD patient look catatonic.

I, on the other hand, actually pay attention to a lot more shows these days. I never ever EVER used to be able to remember to watch stuff when it came on certain times of day. That's why I got way more into Trek recently because I went and rented/downlaoded all the episodes and watched them in order. The only Trek show I even REMOTELY watched in any kind of oragnized way on TV was TNG and that was in Syndication.

Today, however, I regularly remember to watch Eureka, Heroes, BSG, and SG1/SGA when they're on. I have even been tuning in to Dead Like Me a few times.

I'm surprised the ratings are so low and if nothing else, this proves to me how little Nielsen Ratings actually mean about how good a show is or how popular it is. Has anyone around here actually stopped watching BSG because of the New Caprica thing? I mean was anybody turned off by LDYB I/II so much that you stopped watching?

From the show of ratings as the show went on, though, it looks like it didn't just drop off in this premier, but rather that the premier was just another steady decline of .1 points from LDYB. It looks like they began to lose people's attention right after the original miniseries premier.

So really, even though I just went on this schpiel about people's low attention spans, it actually seems that it wasn't the New Caprica change that lost viewers, but something in the immediate season 1/2 that kept steadily losing them, because it's just been one long steady downward spiral.

That is, of course, if Nielsen ratings even mean anything realistically. I have honestly no clue wtf they're supposed to mean, they're porbably just some crap somebody's making up as they go along and getting paid to cite higher ratings

Btw, there are now Sci-Fi commercials on ABC/NBC during the airing of Heroes. I don't know if they've been doing that before now because I never used to watch ABC/NBC, but that seems new to me. Might get more attention to BSG.
Trip n' T'Pol are Alive and Well at Triaxian Silk
Old October 11 2006, 06:43 AM   #93
RTOlson
Rear Admiral

View RTOlson's Twitter Profile

Let's revisit the "splitting Sci Fi Friday" point. According to the press release, it was successful -- for at least one night. While the show's overall ratings are down, BSG performed considerably better year on average for the time slot and time of year.

If Sci Fi wants to keep building Sci Fi Friday it had to split the shows up otherwise they would be stuck for months with repeats and very little new to show. In this case, we've transitioned relatively smoothly from the 'Gates to BSG with the ratings staying relatively the same. Sure, I'd like them to grow, but having relatively strong shows in the queue is important too.

If Sci Fi was smart, they might reschedule a BSG rerun after ECW now that Eureka's in reruns. It can sometimes be a strong, albeit temporary lure for a show like BSG.
Old October 11 2006, 06:46 AM   #94
Russ
Vice Admiral

View Russ's Twitter Profile

John O.
I agree with your post only to a certain point.

While I did stop watching the show because of a change, the change that made me stop watching was the change in quality not the change in story.
Old October 11 2006, 07:05 AM   #95
Scatter
Captain

Noname Given said:
You know - with all these explinations, excuces, etc. it made me have a flashback to the Enterprise forum two years back.

"The premire date and time wasn't really well advertised..." - check

"But the Nielsons don't account for TiVO's and DVR/VCRs" - check

"It was going up against [insert sporting event or higher rated TV show name here]." - check

"I had a BUNCH of people over and we all watched it at the same time..." - Check

"It was shown more than once, I'm sure many people knew this and caught a later broadcast of it..." - check
i'm certainly getting deja vu.

different names, same spin. and while i thought the premiere was two hours of complete awesome, having faith in the shows quality is an absolute waste of time. firefly was critically acclaimed too for example.

numbers matter. don't delude yourself into thinking otherwise.
Old October 11 2006, 08:11 AM   #96
badjelly
Cadet

From what I've read at various forums, a lot of people are not happy with the Iraq war parallels. Sadly, I predict there will be quite a drop next week.
Old October 11 2006, 08:42 AM   #97
pookha
Admiral

View pookha's Twitter Profile

i wonder how much was due to the whole planet business.
i still believe they made the characters act in ignorant fashion they normally wouldnt have to make the decision to settle the planet and leave the fleet in such a bad and undermanned shape.

and then the totally expected happens the cylons invade.
Old October 11 2006, 03:17 PM   #98
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

benny said:
Mr Awe said:
Further, I don't think BSG provides much more of the extras/freebies that you allude to compared to say Stargate SG-1. Care to expand?
BSG is talked about in every single entertainment publication out there. It was the cover story in Entertainment Weekly a couple weeks back. Seeing the picture of Baltar, Roslin and Six on the rack (no pun intended) amounted to free advertising. Every legit website out there was talking it up. Free advertising. BSG got promo time on NBC. SG-1 did not. BSG is seen in most circles as being as good as, if not better than, some of the best drama nominees at the Emmy's. SG-1 isn't even close to the conversation. The acting is heralded as award worthy. When did that ever happen to SG-1?

Everyone talking about it is free advertising. It provides a signature show for the network, which for years was the home of old reruns. It is the Sci Fi Channel more than Stargate and Farscape ever could be.
I see what you're saying. I don't watch much TV nor follow its happenings much so perhaps I'm just not aware of how much free press they're getting from BSG.

However, assuming that's the case, how much weight will this have with Sci Fi? Honest question. It hasn't seemed to increase the ratings of their shows. If things stay the same we may be good. But, what if the BSG ratings drop to say 1.4? Will the free advertising be sufficient to keep it around still? You're talking about something that has intangible effects competing with hard cold cash. Intangible may well lose out!

I'm not saying that BSG will be cancelled but I just feel quite as secure as some people. I remember during ENT days where it kept getting lower and lower ratings. There was a consitent group of posters who kept saying that there was no way it would be cancelled and that they'd get the normal 7 years. They kept saying that right up until it was cancelled. They had their security blanket firmly in place.

Mr Awe
Old October 11 2006, 05:31 PM   #99
benny
Vice Admiral

Mr Awe said:
However, assuming that's the case, how much weight will this have with Sci Fi? Honest question. It hasn't seemed to increase the ratings of their shows. If things stay the same we may be good. But, what if the BSG ratings drop to say 1.4? Will the free advertising be sufficient to keep it around still? You're talking about something that has intangible effects competing with hard cold cash. Intangible may well lose out!
I agree that ratings do mean quite a bit. No question. However, I've never understood the reasoning behind pre-emptions/same week reruns not being counted. Granted, they should be limited to one rerun during the week to ward off a network taking advantage of the system, but the fact remains that the people watching-whenever they do in that initial week-are still watching. (Not to get sidetracked: it was one of the things I NEVER understood with Enterprise and probably helped it to die when it did.)

The thing is, as any network knows, you have to be known for something. NBC for YEARS was known for The Cosby Show/Cheers/Seinfeld/Friends. ABC is currently known for Lost/Grey's Anatomy/Desperate Housewives. CBS has historically been known as the "Geriatric Network" and has recently been known as CSI land. Sci Fi isn't known for anything except BSG.

Personally, they made a huge mistake in premiering in the fall alongside new shows and postseason baseball. They had great success with Eureka over the summer, but didn't build anything for BSG. There was more than enough time to reshow the entire first and second seasons...one episode a week on whatever night they wanted. Bill it as a "catch up without spending the cash for DVD or iTunes" or whatever the marketing department can come up with.

Still, I am a fan. I will watch every single Friday night in first run. I like the occupation story on the planet. I don't see anything wrong with the parallels to Iraq or whatever conflict you want to compare it to. The story, the acting, the production values...still top notch. Still one of the best two shows on TV, regardless of who is or is not watching it.
Old October 11 2006, 06:40 PM   #100
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

benny said:
Still, I am a fan. I will watch every single Friday night in first run. I like the occupation story on the planet. I don't see anything wrong with the parallels to Iraq or whatever conflict you want to compare it to. The story, the acting, the production values...still top notch. Still one of the best two shows on TV, regardless of who is or is not watching it.
Very interesting points and I hope BSG sticks around because I too am a fan. I think the enhanced grittiness is much needed. The series got off course a bit in season 2 with too many soapy elements. Now its getting back to where it should be. When humanities survival is stake things must be portrayed as grim! So, I'm all for the changes. And, it's not just that they're good changes they're also being executed very well from the writing, acting, to the directing.

Mr Awe
Old October 11 2006, 06:49 PM   #101
AviTrek
Fleet Captain

Here is my biggest concern. The BSG premiere wasn't even in the top 15 cable shows for the week.
Ratings

If BSG is losing to SVU reruns its got problems.
Old October 11 2006, 07:19 PM   #102
Michael Chris
Admiral

Has it ever been?
Old October 11 2006, 07:42 PM   #103
Russ
Vice Admiral

View Russ's Twitter Profile

Naib Michael Usul said:
Has it ever been?
Oh yes. It was frequently in the top 10 during the first season and at least once in the second.

The second part of the mini was the #2 ranked show for the week it aired on cable.

I thought the only reason to for a press release on Monday was to highlight how great the series launched, but I forgot to mention another possible reason of doing it; to get ahead of any negative publicity. It underperformed, and the press release was crafted to try to counter such claims, which are now starting to come out:

LOSERS
"Battlestar Galactica." When a cable network says the 2.2 million viewers who caught the third-season debut of its Peabody-winning series is soooo much better than its second-season average , any TV columnist who knows the difference between an apple and an orange checks the stats on last season's debut . Sure enough, "Battlestar Galactica" opened with an average audience of 3.1 million viewers in July '05.
Old October 11 2006, 07:59 PM   #104
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

Russ said:
Naib Michael Usul said:
Has it ever been?
Oh yes. It was frequently in the top 10 during the first season and at least once in the second.

The second part of the mini was the #2 ranked show for the week it aired on cable.

I thought the only reason to for a press release on Monday was to highlight how great the series launched, but I forgot to mention another possible reason of doing it; to get ahead of any negative publicity. It underperformed, and the press release was crafted to try to counter such claims, which are now starting to come out:

LOSERS
"Battlestar Galactica." When a cable network says the 2.2 million viewers who caught the third-season debut of its Peabody-winning series is soooo much better than its second-season average , any TV columnist who knows the difference between an apple and an orange checks the stats on last season's debut . Sure enough, "Battlestar Galactica" opened with an average audience of 3.1 million viewers in July '05.
This really highlights what I've been saying. I wouldn't feel sooo confident right now. To feel like things are totally safe for BSG is overly optimistic.

Mr Awe
Old October 11 2006, 08:12 PM   #105
benny
Vice Admiral

Russ said:
I hate hate hate hate hate the "logic" in comparing a S2 premiere in mid-July with a S3 premiere in October. It's like comparing apples to oranges and saying oranges are worse because of the color. The real (and only, in my book) way to rate how a season premiere does in relation to the entire program is to see where it was at the last new episode.

The same thing is happening with Lost; people saying it's gone down and viewers have tuned out. Well, sure, from the S2 premiere which was fresh off the Emmy win, it is down. But from the S2 finale, it was up. The ratings from the last new episode to the next one tell the tale, nothing else.

If you want to measure time slot ratings, knock your socks off. But to judge a show based on it's previous premiere (over a year ago) is ludicrous.