Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Retro Watches
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

New DS9 eBook To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Trek Ice Cube Maker and Shot Glasses
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Battlestar Galactica & Caprica

Battlestar Galactica & Caprica This forum was created by man. It rebelled. It evolved. And it has a plan.

Old October 10 2006, 10:37 PM   #76
Plum
Rear Admiral

Re: Ratings are in !

... I think the problem of nuBSG finding an audience is due to the sci-fi crowd of today. Gritty drama isn't what these kids were raised on, but comfort food TV. Something easy to swallow, like SG-1 or enterprise.

If nuBSG were on HBO perhaps it would do better. However, the very fact it's sci-fi when these days sci-fi means adventure show pop-corn entertainment (and thus ignored by anyone looking for real grit and heart ripping drama) might be a problem. Remeber how people ignored Buffy the Vampire Slayer? I think nuBSG will have a hard time finding it's audience... but when it does man, trust me, X-Files all over again! Wooooooooo!!!
Old October 10 2006, 11:33 PM   #77
Hoshi's sis
Rear Admiral

View Hoshi's sis's Twitter Profile

Not really.

I enjoyed the first season but Season 2 IMO just fell far short. I watched about 2 episodes before I departed for good. I just didn't find any of the characters beside James Olmas very engaging or interesting. Gritty drama, IMO is Deep Space Nine, BSG just doesn't measure it anywhere near that.

Shame about the ratings. If these numbers drop any further, it looks like this show will go the same route as the rest.

For all your toy hobby collectables, pocket money collectables and trading cards.
Old October 10 2006, 11:35 PM   #78
Dream
Admiral

Plum said:
I think nuBSG will have a hard time finding it's audience... but when it does man, trust me, X-Files all over again! Wooooooooo!!!
nuBGS will never become as popular as the X-Files or even TNG.
Old October 10 2006, 11:58 PM   #79
Plum
Rear Admiral

^^^
Can I borrow your crystal ball sometime?

Plum said:
Remeber how people ignored Buffy the Vampire Slayer?
Ok, *chuckle*, I should qualify that remark. Buffy isn't a gritty drama, obviously! What I ment was that it's title keep people from discovering it. But, lucky around the end of season three, [the girls discovered the show and loved it.

Hoshi's sis said:
<SNIP!>. Gritty drama, IMO is Deep Space Nine, BSG just doesn't measure it anywhere near that.

*cough*, sorry but I should be honest and say DS9 is not gritty drama. It's a melo-drama, an adventure show with iconic characters. It's just not the same animal.

nuBSG is in the same class as other more realitic dramas on TV today (and kickin' ass too, not a weak contender here), The Sorpranos, The Shield, Rescue Me, and such. DS9 doesn't attempt realitic drama like this, it's just not it's style. DS9 is more related to your average TV melo-drama, like, oh, JAG, it's just that it has big themes and sci-fi cool goin' on. It's a great show sometimes. Not a fan of "Pale Moonlight" though, thought it was ignorant of Sisko and he's a murderer (accessory) who should be in jail. The dumb fraker nearly destroyed any hope of Romulan help. Sorry, had to say that too.
Old October 11 2006, 12:08 AM   #80
MIB
Rear Admiral

JCBos said:
Before you start feeling too secure you better look into SG-1's cancellation. It was getting roughly the same ratings I believe.
Slightly lower, but when comparing them, one has to bear in mind that SG-1 has been on for ten years and isn't produced by NBC/Universal. If ratings were the be-all-and-end-all of cancellation, then Atlantis would have been cancelled right along with it.

Exactly. Not only have they been on for 10+ years (Which is almost unheard of amongst genre shows save maybe two or three exceptions I can think of off hand), SG-1 was no longer getting the critical acclaim that BSG has been getting. Personally, I stopped watching years ago after it became apparent to me that SG-1 could no longer shake off the Voyager-esque decay in it's quality of writing. I swore, if I was treated to one more inane plot involving naquada or petty villians who want to be gods...
Old October 11 2006, 01:07 AM   #81
zakfa
Lieutenant Commander

It sucks to see the downward trend in the ratings. Hopefully this season it can be consistent and stay above the 1.6 range.
Old October 11 2006, 01:55 AM   #82
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

Plum said:
... I think the problem of nuBSG finding an audience is due to the sci-fi crowd of today. Gritty drama isn't what these kids were raised on, but comfort food TV. Something easy to swallow, like SG-1 or enterprise.

If nuBSG were on HBO perhaps it would do better. However, the very fact it's sci-fi when these days sci-fi means adventure show pop-corn entertainment (and thus ignored by anyone looking for real grit and heart ripping drama) might be a problem. Remeber how people ignored Buffy the Vampire Slayer? I think nuBSG will have a hard time finding it's audience... but when it does man, trust me, X-Files all over again! Wooooooooo!!!
I disagree, look at the TV landscape, BSG fits right in with today's smarter edgier TV. I grew up with BSG 78, Buck Rogers, Knight Rider, TNG, The A-Team, The Dukes of Hazzard, etc, now that was comfort TV. Enterprise wanted to be what BSG is but it was straddled with the Trek franchise and a burnt-out production staff.
Old October 11 2006, 02:03 AM   #83
Plum
Rear Admiral

^^^
Hmm, I get ya but what I mean is that the audience (for nuBSG) isn't finding the show, they are watching The Shield, Rescue Me, etc. They don't watch comfort TV at all. They don't watch Sci-Fi and they wouldn't bother to watch something called "Battlestar Galactica" rather like people would not take the title "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" seriously either. I didn't, both times.

We are watching it, sure, but that's because it's sci-fi and we are sci-fi fans. The audience I speak of is not.
Old October 11 2006, 02:13 AM   #84
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

^^ Oh, I'm gettin' ya now, that doesn't really explain the sliding audience though. Maybe the Galactica name keeps some people away but what about those who used to watch?
Old October 11 2006, 02:15 AM   #85
DanCPA
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to DanCPA Send a message via Yahoo to DanCPA

I made a 3 new BSG viewers this weekend. And all three times I had to beg borrow and steal to get them to watch it, but when they finally did, they loved it!
Old October 11 2006, 02:29 AM   #86
Plum
Rear Admiral

^^^
Good work Picard.

Mr. Adventure said:
^^ Oh, I'm gettin' ya now, that doesn't really explain the sliding audience though. Maybe the Galactica name keeps some people away but what about those who used to watch?
That's a very good question. The sci-fi fans? Hmmmm.
Old October 11 2006, 02:36 AM   #87
Q2UnME
Commodore

The Picard said:
I made a 3 new BSG viewers this weekend. And all three times I had to beg borrow and steal to get them to watch it, but when they finally did, they loved it!
I know exactly what you mean. I mention to folks "Hey, there's this great show you'd really like" and after I say "Battlestar Galactica" they just look at me like

I was the only one in this house to watch the miniseries. Half way through season one, I got my two boys to watch. Over the course of this summer my son got his girlfriend (and both her parents) hooked to nBSG (and not one "Thanks Dad" for swiping all my nBSG DVD's). I've even got Mrs. Q2 hooked on nBSG now (once she made it through most of season 1, we shot through the entire season 2 in less than a week!). So to recap, went from 1 person watching in this house early in season 1 to now 8 people watching (two houses) each week of season 3. Huhmmm..... And the ratings are still declining..... I still think the current ratings methods are skewed when it comes to Sci-Fi, but that's just my two cents......

Q2UnME

Whiskey - Tango - Foxtrot
Old October 11 2006, 02:45 AM   #88
USS Gettysburg
Captain

To me the ratings on this show really are a small piece of the puzzle. Scifi really makes up for the expense of the show on its DVD and iTunes sales. It is also the only anchor that Scifi has at the moment. That being said the fact that it was placed in a new time slot competing against a new fall lineup after a lonnnngggg wait I think that the ratings seem respectable. I also think that the next two episodes are more important than the premiere. If the rating stays at around 1.8 like last season it should be fine.
Old October 11 2006, 02:50 AM   #89
Ariadne
Vice Admiral

Every time a show changes, they lose viewers. DS9, VOY, and ENT all had their highest viewing rates at the beginning of their runs. ENT tried to shake things up a few times - at the beginning of seasons 3 and 4 - and paid for that with an early cancellation.

Stargate Atlantis started out much less popular then SG-1 - even if their viewing numbers were about the same, SG-1 nearly always won the "which show do you like better" polls - both here and at Gateworld. It's taken years for people (including me) to admit that Atlantis is actually pretty good.

Overall, people just don't like change. The public outcry when Ploto was de-planetized is another indictation of that.

Like it or not, BSG has changed a lot over the break. It was never a happy-go-lucky show, but it was clear from the finale of season 2 and opening of season 3 that it was going to be a very different show - less sex and more commentary on the Iraq war (or whatever you want to call it).
Old October 11 2006, 04:02 AM   #90
Russ
Vice Admiral

View Russ's Twitter Profile

Devnull said:
I beleive at the convention, ron said that each episode costs more than 1 million, but less than 3. So I would guess he meant around 2 million an episode.
It's rumored that the budget for BSG is around $1.8M/episode.

And for those interested, per Variety, the season 3 premiere of BSG delivered 2.16M viewers and a 1.0/3 rating in A18-49.