Trek 3 Shooting Next Spring?
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

Star Trek: Alien Domain Game Announced
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Battlestar Galactica & Caprica

Battlestar Galactica & Caprica This forum was created by man. It rebelled. It evolved. And it has a plan.

Old October 10 2006, 03:01 PM   #46
KennyB
Commodore

View KennyB's Twitter Profile
Re: Ratings are in !

I kinda agree with a few of the above posters......I worked Friday night so I could not watch it till yesterday.....but I wasn't worried because it reairs so many times--gonna watch again this afternoon at 3...........Think alot of people don't stay at home to watch because they KNOW they can catch it again late Friday, Sat, Sun, or Monday..........Don't even need to record with THAT many encore's.

Old October 10 2006, 04:01 PM   #47
nevermore
Admiral

It doesn't matter. The show is a money-maker for Sci-Fi, and that is what determines whether a show stays on the air; ratings are incidental to that because the determine the ad prices. The difference in what they charge for say a Mac commercial at 2.1 is probably no different than what they charge at 1.8. It also has good demos, brings some long-desired acclaim to a channel with very little going for it and sells well on DVD, iTunes and will do well in syndication.
Old October 10 2006, 04:09 PM   #48
Stone_Cold_Sisko
Vice Admiral

as long as the show isn't getting cancelled, it's all good.

its interesting though that the biggest "status quo" rating drop happened between 201 and 202. Like a bunch of viewers saw the resolution to the cliffhanger, and then just gave up on it. I remember that whole stretch felt pretty decompressed, not like season 1.
Old October 10 2006, 04:21 PM   #49
TheArsenal
Rear Admiral

Stone_Cold_Sisko said:
as long as the show isn't getting cancelled, it's all good.

My thoughts exactly. Thereís another thread around here somewhere with a lot of hand wringing over why the "unwashed masses" arenít watching. Personally, I donít care if there are just 20 of us left, if thatís enough eyeballs to keep making new episodes.

"F*** you! That's my name. You know why mister? 'Cause you drove a Hyundai to get here tonight. I drove an eighty thousand dollar BMW. That's my name."
Old October 10 2006, 04:37 PM   #50
Joel
Lieutenant Commander

Well, I can now see the benefit of splitting a season into 2 lots of 10. If at the half-way point the network pull the plug, RDM and company can quickly put a final episode together rather than having to end the show on an open cliff hanger and have to resolve it about 2 years down the track should they get approval to do a tele-movie.
Old October 10 2006, 04:48 PM   #51
JCBos
Commander

is it just the folks with Neilson boxes?
I still don't understand how that all works, or how it can be accurate. My friends and I gathered to watch the premiere at my apt., so there were six people watching the show on one TV -- how do group-viewings like that get factored in? Only if enough of the Nielsen homes are doing the same to make it statistically relevant?

(Its an honest question, if anyone understands the process I'd be curious to know how such data is determined.)
Old October 10 2006, 05:09 PM   #52
nevermore
Admiral

So sick of this doom and gloom. Did anyone actually read the press release? Here, let me quote it:

BATTLESTAR SEASON 3 PREMIERE LEADS SCI FI TO TRIPLE-DIGIT RATINGS GAINS

Number 1 Cable Series for the Night - SCI FI Friday Reasserts Dominance

New York, NY - October 9, 2006 - Building on the summer ratings heat that brought SCI FI more than 15 million new viewers via its original series Eureka, Who Wants to Be A Superhero? and ECW, the Channel kicked off the fall with the hotly-anticipated season 3 premiere of Battlestar Galactica (October 6, 9-11pm ET/PT). In the face of stiff competition, the two-hour opener was the #1 cable series of the night. And in combination with its lead-ins, Heroes (rebroadcast @ 7pm) and Doctor Who (new episode at 8pm), SCI FI reasserted its dominance on Friday nights, with triple-digit demo increases vs. 4Q05.

The Galactica season 3 premiere delivered a 1.8 HH rating with 2.2 million total viewers (P2+) - out-delivering its season 2.5 average in total viewers (+2%), P25-54 (+7%) and P18-49 (1.4 million, +4%).

SCI FI's 7pm-11pm SCI FI Friday lineup averaged a 1.4 HH rating, 1.7 million total viewers (P2+), 1.2 million P25-54s and 1.0 million P18-49s. Compared to the same time period last year (4Q05), this reflects increases of:

* +93% in P2+
* +75% in HH Ratings
* +120% in P25-54
* +134% in P18-49

Somehow this does not stike me as, "Well shit, let's just cancel the fucker!" sort of talk. Calm down. Sci-fi is a niche channel and is really only worried about ratings in its target demos. BSG is doing great in those, and that's all that matters.

Oh, and this ain't Farscape; it has far more going for it both in revenue generation outside of ad sales and creating channel recognition and legitimacy. It is by far Sci-Fi's most valuable property. The show is doing fine, and it will be on as long as Moore wants it to be on.
Old October 10 2006, 05:13 PM   #53
Twilight
Vice Admiral

flamingliberal said:
So sick of this doom and gloom. Did anyone actually read the press release? Here, let me quote it:

New York, NY - October 9, 2006 - Building on the summer ratings heat that brought SCI FI more than 15 million new viewers via its original series Eureka, Who Wants to Be A Superhero? and ECW, the Channel kicked off the fall with the hotly-anticipated season 3 premiere of Battlestar Galactica (October 6, 9-11pm ET/PT). In the face of stiff competition, the two-hour opener was the #1 cable series of the night. And in combination with its lead-ins, Heroes (rebroadcast @ 7pm) and Doctor Who (new episode at 8pm), SCI FI reasserted its dominance on Friday nights, with triple-digit demo increases vs. 4Q05.

The Galactica season 3 premiere delivered a 1.8 HH rating with 2.2 million total viewers (P2+) - out-delivering its season 2.5 average in total viewers (+2%), P25-54 (+7%) and P18-49 (1.4 million, +4%).

SCI FI's 7pm-11pm SCI FI Friday lineup averaged a 1.4 HH rating, 1.7 million total viewers (P2+), 1.2 million P25-54s and 1.0 million P18-49s. Compared to the same time period last year (4Q05), this reflects increases of:

* +93% in P2+
* +75% in HH Ratings
* +120% in P25-54
* +134% in P18-49

Somehow this does not stike me as, "Well shit, let's just cancel the fucker!" sort of talk. Calm down. Sci-fi is a niche channel and is really only worried about ratings in its target demos. BSG is doing great in those, and that's all that matters.

Oh, and this ain't Farscape; it has far more going for it both in revenue generation outside of ad sales and creating channel recognition and legitimacy. It is by far Sci-Fi's most valuable property. The show is doing fine, and it will be on as long as Moore wants it to be on.
Exactly.

Yeah, the press release has a lot of spin in it, but it's not reflective of a gloom-and-doom atmosphere in Bonnie Hammer's office.
Old October 10 2006, 05:13 PM   #54
Joel
Lieutenant Commander

Some aliens, time travel, a future guy, a couple of worm holes and Sharon in a cat suit should boost those ratings right up and keep EJO enthusiastic about his role on the show j/k of course!
Old October 10 2006, 05:17 PM   #55
TheArsenal
Rear Admiral

I still don't understand how that all works, or how it can be accurate. My friends and I gathered to watch the premiere at my apt., so there were six people watching the show on one TV -- how do group-viewings like that get factored in? Only if enough of the Nielsen homes are doing the same to make it statistically relevant?

(Its an honest question, if anyone understands the process I'd be curious to know how such data is determined.)
I know nothing about the system, or the sample size. I would imagine (hope, more accurately, I would hope) itís a pretty sophisticated model. But, when I look at numbers for things like Monday Night Football, which has thousands of restaurant/parties/bars with hundreds of eyeballs in many cases watching, the numbers seem very low. I would be curious how they factor for those type of viewings.

Edit: quote added.

"F*** you! That's my name. You know why mister? 'Cause you drove a Hyundai to get here tonight. I drove an eighty thousand dollar BMW. That's my name."
Old October 10 2006, 05:25 PM   #56
firehawk12
Fleet Admiral

Twilight said:
flamingliberal said:

* +93% in P2+
* +75% in HH Ratings
* +120% in P25-54
* +134% in P18-49

Exactly.

Yeah, the press release has a lot of spin in it, but it's not reflective of a gloom-and-doom atmosphere in Bonnie Hammer's office.
They're very careful to say "Season 2.5 average" though. There's so many qualifiers in those three words alone.
But then again, I doubt they were as positive with SG-1 ratings when it came back this year.

"How do you trust a nation that's invented Karate? They're standing there in their pajamas... then they kick you in the balls!"
Old October 10 2006, 05:37 PM   #57
nevermore
Admiral

^Regardless, it's the number 1 cable series for the night, which is pretty much the best they can realistically hope for. Again, the ratings, in and of themselves, mean nothing; how the ratings effect ad rates is what matters here, and these ratings do not adversely effect those rates in this context. In fact, given the demos, the ad rates for Skiffy advertizers probably went up if anything.

Oh, and this new initiative from Neilson can only be good news for series like BSG.
Old October 10 2006, 05:43 PM   #58
Sentinel627
Lieutenant Junior Grade

I haven't had cable since early on in season 2.0.
I've been renting the episodes and now I'm planning to catch season 3 on YouTube and then buy it next year.
There are so many ways to watch TV now that ratings are really just guestaments at this point.
I agree that it's cash flow that will really determine the life of this series. So go out and buy the toys and DVDs.
Get everyone you know to say frak all the time!
Old October 10 2006, 05:54 PM   #59
Archangel

Ratings are still all that matters though. Because if you watch DVDs, Downloaded Copies, Youtube....you aren't watching commercials, and you aren't giving them the money advertisers would be.

Old October 10 2006, 06:33 PM   #60
firehawk12
Fleet Admiral

Oh, I know it's not that doom and gloom... but SG-1 got what? A 1.6 average for S10.5, and it was deemed "cancel-worthy", so... I'm not sure what to think.

"How do you trust a nation that's invented Karate? They're standing there in their pajamas... then they kick you in the balls!"