Saldana In The Book of Life
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Cracked’s New Sci-Fi Satire
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Beltran Introduces Shakespeare To Theater Group

Burton To Be Honored at Facets Boo! Bash

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Battlestar Galactica & Caprica

Battlestar Galactica & Caprica This forum was created by man. It rebelled. It evolved. And it has a plan.

Old March 12 2009, 07:44 AM   #436
archeryguy1701
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to archeryguy1701
Re: Ratings are in !

^Because when you get right down to it, the point isn't the ratings at all.

Sometimes you just gotta roll the hard six- Bill Adama
Old March 12 2009, 08:10 AM   #437
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile

dru wrote: View Post
tomalak301 wrote: View Post
Can we get a mod to close this thread so it can stay dead.
I don't see why. There were new episodes again and thus new ratings.
You do know the series finale is in a week and a half, right?
Old March 12 2009, 10:59 AM   #438
MyCylon
Rear Admiral

TheMasterOfOrion wrote: View Post
and why these Skiffy idiots have green-lit Caprica?
They're obviously making money out of nuBSG and hope the same will be true for Caprica.

That's the only reason any company will greenlight anything and it's the way any company works. It's basic economics, really.

A strong emphasis in this strategy seems to be on the DVDs. Think about "Razor" or the "Plan" as well as the fact that the "Caprica" pilot debuts on DVD.
Old March 12 2009, 12:23 PM   #439
Bishbot
Fleet Captain

That's some very classy answering him sensibly there Justtoyourleft. Just remember that this is the guy who whined to the mods in QSF that he doesn't feel welcome here and tried to get the BSG forum shut down because the show is ending/he's got some vendetta against the show. Kind of a hilarious thread actually.

http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=84330
Old March 12 2009, 12:41 PM   #440
MyCylon
Rear Admiral

^
Thanks .

And I remember him well enough.
Old March 12 2009, 01:21 PM   #441
Bishbot
Fleet Captain

Justtoyourleft wrote: View Post
^
Thanks .

And I remember him well enough.
Oh, I'm sure you do. I just thought you'd enjoy that thread, if you hadn't already seen it .
Old March 12 2009, 01:53 PM   #442
MyCylon
Rear Admiral

^
I hadn't, mind you. An interesting read.
Old March 12 2009, 03:59 PM   #443
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

worst ratings since Painkiller Jayne

You bump a months old thread to show us a graph that doesn't even include the ratings from season 4.5? Why?

Actually, since that graph is curving back up by the end we could make the mathematically sound deduction that the ratings for 4.5 are up, not that they are. So you bump an old thread to show us the ratings data from last year which actually manages to destroy the point you were trying to make. Once again I must ask; Why?
Old March 12 2009, 08:15 PM   #444
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

worst ratings since Painkiller Jayne

The trend line makes it look like ratings have decline since season 3 but they really haven't. The ratings for seasons 3 and 4 are equivalent.

Mr Awe
Old March 12 2009, 08:24 PM   #445
Gregsmack
Captain

Do some people still actually equate the number of viewers with a show's quality? Too much faith in the tastes of the average TV viewer is what that is. I guess American Idol is the greatest program ever aired, Titanic is an insurmountable masterpiece of cinema, and 50 Cent is the second coming of Beethoven. Let's not even mention 'Twilight' -- the finest collection of bound words since the Bible.
Old March 12 2009, 11:48 PM   #446
ATimson
Rear Admiral

Mr Awe wrote: View Post
The trend line makes it look like ratings have decline since season 3 but they really haven't. The ratings for seasons 3 and 4 are equivalent.
Season 3 on average, maybe, but the front half is noticeably higher than S4 (and the back half noticeably lower).

You're also ignoring that the trend line continues to drop because of the rather-abysmal "Razor" ratings, and that it actually picks up for S4.

"...don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido
Old March 12 2009, 11:49 PM   #447
ATimson
Rear Admiral

Gregsmack wrote: View Post
Do some people still actually equate the number of viewers with a show's quality? Too much faith in the tastes of the average TV viewer is what that is.
I think that with BSG people who are trying to prove a decline in quality are looking less at the numbers compared to other shows, and more at how they've lost half their audience since season 1.

"...don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido
Old March 13 2009, 12:10 AM   #448
Gregsmack
Captain

^ But that's still numbers.

What's an audience anyhow? I don't live in a Nielson house (or whatever the term may be) but I don't watch the shows as they air. I find other, mainly illegal, ways of seeing the episodes and everyone else I know that watches the show (many people) do the same thing.

Plus, as good as season 1 was, it was still very tame compared to what we are getting now. I'm not going to make an argument that the show has gotten better (although I think it has) but it has certainly gotten uglier. BSG isn't that easy of a show to watch, and I can understand casual TV viewers might be turned off by it.

Not to mention, BSG's time slot has been brutal since the beginning, and Sci-Fi's airing of different seasons is enough to turn any casual fan anyway.

I'm not trying to start a stats battle here, because I don't have the research to back it up. However, I do think it's worth noting that just about everyone I know that watches BSG has caught onto it around about season 3.5. This is hardly definitive evidence, and I am NOT trying to pose it as such, but I imagine the reality of BSG's audience is much, much higher than that time-slot statistic indicates. And if that's the case, the audience level = quality argument is as flawed as the ratings argument.
Old March 13 2009, 12:47 AM   #449
ATimson
Rear Admiral

^ But that's still numbers.
Well, apparently the point that you were trying to make was not the one I got from your post.

I'm not trying to start a stats battle here, because I don't have the research to back it up. However, I do think it's worth noting that just about everyone I know that watches BSG has caught onto it around about season 3.5. This is hardly definitive evidence, and I am NOT trying to pose it as such, but I imagine the reality of BSG's audience is much, much higher than that time-slot statistic indicates.
To bring in my own anecdotal audience, half of the people I know who watch the show stopped at various points during season two. Hell, until I got my new job late last year I thought that everybody else I knew who watched it had quit. So my personal experience lines up perfectly with Sci-fi's numbers.

I suppose it's possible that, as the measured audience has shrunk, the non-measured audience has stayed the same or even grown. I just don't think it terribly likely.

Old March 13 2009, 12:50 AM   #450
Zod
Commander

This thread bump is a waste of time.

The show ends in two weeks so who gives a shit about ratings from 2008? Mods put this thread out of its well deserved misery.