TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Battlestar Galactica & Caprica

Battlestar Galactica & Caprica This forum was created by man. It rebelled. It evolved. And it has a plan.

Old April 10 2008, 12:56 AM   #256
Russ
Vice Admiral

View Russ's Twitter Profile
Re: Ratings are in !

The increase in viewership for Atlantis that you speak of was shown in the Live+7 days rating. That rating measurement has only existed for one year. It's true that DVR usage has gone up, but we really don't know what the usage was before the Live+SD and Live+7 days system's went into place.

And besides, the majority of the viewers are within the Live+Same Day rating anyways, which is what we now look at exclusively. That measures all viewing (time-shifted via DVR or other device AND live) through 3AM.

Also, to refresh some memories here, the 1.3 being reported is the national household rating. The 1.6 being reported is the coverage rating. The national rating is based on the entire TV universe (about 113 million), while the coverage rating is based against only the households capable of receiving the SCI FI Channel (about 93 million).

Cyrus wrote: View Post
Maybe the media hype or DVDs are finally creating new viewers for BSG. We have to see if this holds, are people just checking it out or are they are hooked.
In the end that is the key. In past seasons the network has done a good job attracting a sizable audience for the premiere, but that audience hasn't stuck in the past. The key is to keep them watching this season.

I actually picked up the first part of season three the other day (did you know libraries rent DVD's for free?) and will attempt to get back into the show. Hey it's the final season and enough people have badgered me about so I figured I'll go ahead and jump back in.

Last edited by Russ; April 10 2008 at 01:03 AM.
Old April 10 2008, 03:11 AM   #257
Kitty Worrier
Rear Admiral

TheArsenal wrote: View Post
How many other people have started watching shows time-delayed, since DVR's are so damned convienent in the last two years? I know that since I got my dvr, I've been using it more and more. I can't even imagine life without it now.

I've had a dvr for years. If you are counting starting on a twenty minute delay to skip commercials, then I watch absolutely nothing live.
I delay by minutes to hours to skip commercials (if I'm watching a whole block of shows on one network, then i delay a lot more). sometimes I delay a few days to a few weeks.
Old April 10 2008, 06:22 AM   #258
sidious618
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to sidious618

Kitty Worrier wrote: View Post
I don't see why, based on my own experience. Just a year ago I watched all my shows live, but now I hardly watch a show live. It's easier to record it on dvr and watch later, even if it's just 20 minutes so I can skip the commercials. That's still time-delayed. The only reason I even watched BSG live on Friday was because the reception in my room sucked that night, so I had to watch in a room without a dvr. Otherwise, I might have recorded and watched later.

How many other people have started watching shows time-delayed, since DVR's are so damned convienent in the last two years? I know that since I got my dvr, I've been using it more and more. I can't even imagine life without it now.
It doesn't matter. Don't you see the logic here? If the ratings are bad then we are not allowed to enjoy the show. As a matter of fact if an episode you like gets bad ratings you are forced to make sure that you spend an hour of your life doing something miserable to make up for it.
Old April 10 2008, 10:20 AM   #259
Archangel

Samuel T. Cogley wrote: View Post
bigdaddy wrote: View Post
So I don't know why everyone here is worrying about pointless ratings.
No one is really worrying about ratings. This is all just about one or two people in this thread who desperately want the rest of us to cry "Uncle." Which, of course, is never going to happen.

Why? Because we got everything we wanted. And in the world of genre shows (hell, most television shows), that almost never happens.

It's like following around the guy who just won the lottery and rambling on and on about how there was a coffee stain on the lottery ticket. "Was there? Maybe there was. Who cares? I won! How could that stain possibly matter now? What does that have to do with anything?"

There isn't much else for us to do at this point but feel sorry for the guy who is trying so hard to convince us that we shoudn't be as happy as we obviously are.

And what would ever motivate anyone to even bother trying to do that, other than their own unhappiness? So again, I guess we should feel sorry for them.

Or just loan them our BSG DVDs to try to cheer them up.

We don't care if you're happy...we're trying to reconnect you to reality. You all can try to paint everyone who points out the ratings decline as trolls all you want. I'm sure the other starry eyed fanboys will agree with you. The rest of us however have watched the show...we've payed attentions to the ratings...we know the show lost viewers quickly when it turned into a soap...hell, looking at that avatar...I'm betting you love the soap. The problem is as DarthMarley pointed out in the other thread...the number of viewers who like the soap don't make up for those who left in disgust. To the ratings spin doctors...we just look at you and shake our heads.

Old April 10 2008, 10:52 AM   #260
MyCylon
Rear Admiral

^
I've watched the show and I sharply disagree that it turned into a soap. It's always been about relationships at its heart and core, and I just don't see the difference that some of you perceive. But then that's probably a matter of opinion.

What's not a matter of opinion is just WHY the show went down in the ratings. The fact that it turned into a soap in your eyes as well as that of other people on this board doesn't mean that's the reason the numbers went down in general.
That MAY be the reason but what I'm saying is it's just an assumption at this point - not fact. I've got no numbers to back it up either way but I assume neither do you.

And there's something else to consider: Check out Russ's rating scale: http://trekbbs.com/showpost.php?p=1512055&postcount=229. The ratings have been in steady decline from the get go with a spike at the beginning of S2 (or somewhere around there) but going downhill otherwise.

How do you explain that?
Old April 10 2008, 04:09 PM   #261
TheArsenal
Rear Admiral

Discussing ratings for a show in its guaranteed final season makes about a much sense as discussing President Bush's 2008 re-election chances based on his current popularity polls.

"F*** you! That's my name. You know why mister? 'Cause you drove a Hyundai to get here tonight. I drove an eighty thousand dollar BMW. That's my name."
Old April 10 2008, 04:22 PM   #262
TheMasterOfOrion
Fleet Captain

Capricas is to new-BSG as to what Bush is to the McCain Presidency....in 08, it should be in the bag for the Dems but they will never get their shit together Rival scifi tv shows or scifi ideas from Andrew Cosby, Abrams, DeSanto, David Carson, Brad Wright will continue to stumble because these guys are too busy bickering or shooting themselves in the foot...again they will never get their shit together and besides all that even if BSG pulls dire ratings of a 0.6, scifi will continue to back the reimagined Eick/Moore brand because Bonnie Hammer and Mark Stern always continued loving the series...even when everyone else stopped watching
Old April 10 2008, 06:14 PM   #263
Opus
Commodore

Who gives a FRAK about ratings? The series is over after this season.
Now that I've seen it, and have also had time to mellow, to really think about it, I now find it absolutely, unbearably repulsive in every way except for some of the acting. - about The Wrath of Khan. Interstat, Issue 62: 1982
Old April 10 2008, 06:52 PM   #264
Kitty Worrier
Rear Admiral

[quote=Justtoyourleft;1519251]^
I've watched the show and I sharply disagree that it turned into a soap. It's always been about relationships at its heart and core, and I just don't see the difference that some of you perceive. But then that's probably a matter of opinion.[quote]

I think it did become a soap this season, with the addition of the quadrangle of doom. I'm not a Apollo/Buck shipper, so for me, that storyline was downright awful - I think they are better as friends than lovers.

Anyway, as you said though, just because I'm lot liking an element doesn't mean everyone who has stopped watching hated the same story element as well. As Temis said in another thread, there are various reasons people left over the years. So be it.
Old April 10 2008, 10:29 PM   #265
Samuel T. Cogley
Vice Admiral

Archangel wrote: View Post
bigdaddy wrote: View Post
So I don't know why everyone here is worrying about pointless ratings.
No one is really worrying about ratings. This is all just about one or two people in this thread who desperately want the rest of us to cry "Uncle." Which, of course, is never going to happen.

Why? Because we got everything we wanted. And in the world of genre shows (hell, most television shows), that almost never happens.

It's like following around the guy who just won the lottery and rambling on and on about how there was a coffee stain on the lottery ticket. "Was there? Maybe there was. Who cares? I won! How could that stain possibly matter now? What does that have to do with anything?"

There isn't much else for us to do at this point but feel sorry for the guy who is trying so hard to convince us that we shoudn't be as happy as we obviously are.

And what would ever motivate anyone to even bother trying to do that, other than their own unhappiness? So again, I guess we should feel sorry for them.

Or just loan them our BSG DVDs to try to cheer them up.

We don't care if you're happy...we're trying to reconnect you to reality. You all can try to paint everyone who points out the ratings decline as trolls all you want. I'm sure the other starry eyed fanboys will agree with you. The rest of us however have watched the show...we've payed attentions to the ratings...we know the show lost viewers quickly when it turned into a soap...hell, looking at that avatar...I'm betting you love the soap. The problem is as DarthMarley pointed out in the other thread...the number of viewers who like the soap don't make up for those who left in disgust. To the ratings spin doctors...we just look at you and shake our heads.
You lost your argument a long time ago. All that's left for you to do now is to return to your crybaby thread in TNZ and nurse your wounds.

You are never going to hear what you want to hear in this forum. And that goes a long way toward indicating whatever personal demons you are avoiding by coming here and trying to piss on thoroughly satisfied Battlestar Galactica fans.

It took me longer than it should have to realize that you were a waste of my time. Like a tick on my leg, you savor the tiny droplets of blood you taste when I foolishly deem some of your whiny rants worthy of a response. It won't happen again. You are not worthy.

And without my drops of blood (and the blood of others like me), you will surely shrivel up and die.

I'm not going to go so far as to put you on ignore, though, because I enjoy watching you struggle under the pin which you have impaled yourself on. Carry on without me.

(This goes for MasterofOrion, too, who may very well be a different poster than Archangel, but is so similar to him in bitter tone and lack of content that my post applies just as equally to him.)
Old April 11 2008, 01:16 AM   #266
EliyahuQeoni
Commodore

Location: Redmond, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way, Universe
View EliyahuQeoni's Twitter Profile

Sam, you are my frakkin' hero!
"Canon is only important to certain people because they have to cling to their knowledge of the minutiae. Open your mind! Be a Star Trek fan and open your mind and say, 'Where does Star Trek want to take me now'." - Leonard Nimoy
Old April 11 2008, 01:29 AM   #267
TheMasterOfOrion
Fleet Captain

This goes for MasterofOrion, too, who may very well be a different poster than Archangel
Sam please take off the tinfoil helmet for a sec,
PM the Trekbbs moderators - I AM NOT ARCHANGEL or any of the other bbs members you allege

Can you NOT get it into your head that some people might have started to dislike a series they once loved ?
especially with all the Jihadist and love triangle BS which got shoved into the show?
Old April 11 2008, 01:48 AM   #268
Gep Malakai
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Gep Malakai Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Gep Malakai

EliyahuQeoni wrote: View Post
You'll have to get in line.
Old April 11 2008, 02:06 AM   #269
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Gep Malakai wrote: View Post
EliyahuQeoni wrote: View Post
You'll have to get in line.
He was out saving the Internet when your grandfather was in diapers.

Okay, that doesn't make any sense at all. Carry on.
Old April 11 2008, 03:35 AM   #270
Archangel

You lost your argument a long time ago. All that's left for you to do now is to return to your crybaby thread in TNZ and nurse your wounds.

You are never going to hear what you want to hear in this forum. And that goes a long way toward indicating whatever personal demons you are avoiding by coming here and trying to piss on thoroughly satisfied Battlestar Galactica fans.

It took me longer than it should have to realize that you were a waste of my time. Like a tick on my leg, you savor the tiny droplets of blood you taste when I foolishly deem some of your whiny rants worthy of a response. It won't happen again. You are not worthy.

And without my drops of blood (and the blood of others like me), you will surely shrivel up and die.

I'm not going to go so far as to put you on ignore, though, because I enjoy watching you struggle under the pin which you have impaled yourself on. Carry on without me.

(This goes for MasterofOrion, too, who may very well be a different poster than Archangel, but is so similar to him in bitter tone and lack of content that my post applies just as equally to him.)

Ahh the thinly veiled dual accusation again...you need a new line.

Of course I won't hear what I want to hear here. The rabid blind fanboys make it a point to drive everyone away who doesn't constantly drool out that BSG is perfect.

I have ratings numbers on my side about how much crap the show puts out showing that it drove fans away.

All you fanboys have is rationalizations of why people don't like it and spin doctoring how ratings mean nothing...or are inaccurate...or whatever.

Again...just looking at you avatar....I'm not surprised you blindly love Desperate Cylons and will attack anyone who points out reality to you.