TV Alert: Shatner TNG Documentary
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Forbes Cast In Powers
By: T'Bonz on Aug 22

Dorn To Voice Firefly Character

No ALS Ice Bucket For Saldana

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Battlestar Galactica & Caprica

Battlestar Galactica & Caprica This forum was created by man. It rebelled. It evolved. And it has a plan.

Old April 8 2008, 02:22 AM   #226
archeryguy1701
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to archeryguy1701
Re: Ratings are in !

Those numbers suck! We don't want best, we want to be better than best! We want numbers like regular networks get! They ought to just end it now...
That's good to hear. Hopefully it'll hold up, not that it really matters at this point.

Sometimes you just gotta roll the hard six- Bill Adama
Old April 8 2008, 02:42 AM   #227
Russ
Vice Admiral

View Russ's Twitter Profile

These are actually very good numbers for BSG, considering the audience loss over season three and what other programs on the network have gotten. I don't want to say much because I'm at school and don't have access to my data, but this 1.6 is just slightly off from last season's premiere (1.8 coverage HH rating), however viewerwise they were very close (Season 4 premiere: 2.14M, Season 3 premiere: 2.16M). They were so close because in addition to there being more TV homes in the US than last year, SCI FI is also now available in more homes so the difference between the coverage rating (1.6) and the national rating (1.3) isn't as big as usual.

Some quick points:
20% increase over last season's average (in terms of household rating) and a 41% increase over the season three finale in terms of viewers (1.52M to 2.14M) and 33% among the household rating (1.2 to 1.6).

Now we'll see if it holds its audience like it did in season 1, or drops quickly like season 2 and 3.

I'll have some charts in a little while when I get home.

Last edited by Russ; April 8 2008 at 03:47 AM.
Old April 8 2008, 02:54 AM   #228
Cyrus
Rear Admiral

Maybe the media hype or DVDs are finally creating new viewers for BSG. We have to see if this holds, are people just checking it out or are they are hooked.
Old April 8 2008, 04:05 AM   #229
Russ
Vice Admiral

Alright, now that I'm back, here are some numbers and a chart to look over.

Averages (coverage household rating)
Miniseries - 3.50
Season 1 - 2.38
Season 2 - 1.97
Season 3 - 1.39
Season 4 - 1.60

Premieres (coverage household rating/viewers)
Miniseries Part 1 - 3.2 (3.90M)
Miniseries Part 2 - 3.8 (4.46M)
Season 1 - 2.6 (3.05M)
Season 2 - 2.6 (3.05M)
Season 3 - 1.8 (2.16M)--2 episodes/2 hours
Season 4 - 1.6 (2.14M)

And here is a chart from the mini-series through the season 4 premiere (including the two-part miniseries individually and the Razor TV movie):

click to enlarge

Last edited by Russ; April 8 2008 at 05:35 AM. Reason: Chart
Old April 8 2008, 04:40 AM   #230
archeryguy1701
Rear Admiral

Two quick questions:
A) Did the miniseries show on SciFi? And...
B)Did the way ratings were counted change over the years? I'm not calling the downward trend into question, but I was under the impression that if a SciFi show scored a 1.8 Neilson, it was cause for major celebration.

Old April 8 2008, 04:46 AM   #231
Harvey
Admiral

(a) The miniseries did indeed air on sci-fi

(b) No idea. I'm guessing that 1.8 being good for the sci-fi channel is dependent on the programming being cheap to produce (which Galactica is not). Also, less people have been watching TV each passing year, so a 1.8 may be desirable now whereas a higher rating would have been desirable a few years ago.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Old April 8 2008, 05:05 AM   #232
Samuel T. Cogley
Vice Admiral

TheMasterOfOrion wrote: View Post
Samuel T. Cogley wrote: View Post
RDM claims
Moore and Eick said many times they would have liked to see a 5th season...
Then you will have no problem providing us with links.
Old April 8 2008, 05:16 AM   #233
Russ
Vice Admiral

archeryguy1701 wrote: View Post
Two quick questions:
A) Did the miniseries show on SciFi? And...
B)Did the way ratings were counted change over the years? I'm not calling the downward trend into question, but I was under the impression that if a SciFi show scored a 1.8 Neilson, it was cause for major celebration.
Your first question was already answered. So onto your second.

No. The way that ratings are counted has not changed. However, the amount of households with TV's for the 2007/2008 season is above what they were back when the miniseries aired in December 2003 and SCI FI has also been added into more households over the years. There are currently 112.8M TV households in the US. Of those, SCI FI reaches 93M. The rating tabulated based on the reach of a particular Cable network, in this case SCI FI, is called the coverage rating. The rating tabulated based on the entire TV universe is called the national rating.

All the numbers in my chart are coverage ratings.

Perhaps charts for Stargate SG1 (the SCI FI years of 6-10) and Stargate Atlantis (Season 1-4) will put the numbers for BSG into perspective.

click to enlarge

Last edited by Russ; April 8 2008 at 05:46 AM.
Old April 8 2008, 05:36 AM   #234
archeryguy1701
Rear Admiral

I can't see the Atlantis chart, but I do see similarities between SG1 numbers and BSG numbers.

Old April 8 2008, 05:58 AM   #235
sidious618
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to sidious618

Those are great ratings. At this point it matters only in relation to Caprica. Of course, some of you don't want that show so you should be hoping for bad ratings.
Old April 8 2008, 06:52 AM   #236
PG15
Admiral

There is also DVR we have to think about now. Many more people are watching recordings instead of watching it live.
PG15's Music Vids
Old April 8 2008, 10:19 AM   #237
Archangel

PG15 wrote: View Post
There is also DVR we have to think about now. Many more people are watching recordings instead of watching it live.

Ah yes....the nebulous uncounted people recording the show...

Of course I'm betting the same percentage recorded it when the ratings were good...

For the "DVR" argument to have merit you would have to have an increase in recorded viewings while having a decrease in live viewers....

fails logic test.

Old April 8 2008, 11:07 AM   #238
EliyahuQeoni
Commodore

Location: Redmond, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way, Universe
View EliyahuQeoni's Twitter Profile

Archangel wrote: View Post
For the "DVR" argument to have merit you would have to have an increase in recorded viewings while having a decrease in live viewers....

fails logic test.
Unless I'm missing something that makes perfect sense to me. More people recording and watching at a later time and not watching live. It seems perfectly logical that as more people record for later viewing that fewer watch live.
"Canon is only important to certain people because they have to cling to their knowledge of the minutiae. Open your mind! Be a Star Trek fan and open your mind and say, 'Where does Star Trek want to take me now'." - Leonard Nimoy
Old April 8 2008, 12:39 PM   #239
Bishbot
Fleet Captain

EliyahuQeoni wrote: View Post
Archangel wrote: View Post

fails logic test.
Unless I'm missing something that makes perfect sense to me. More people recording and watching at a later time and not watching live. It seems perfectly logical that as more people record for later viewing that fewer watch live.
Not to mention that, being in the uk, I know at least seven or eight people that watch the show but won't show up in the ratings figures, if you catch my drift. There must be thousands and thousands of those in the states as well as across the world - ok, that doesn't prove the show is a money-maker for SciFi, quite the opposite, but it does show that its popular, which, since this discussion is about quality and no-one here cares how much money SciFi makes, should be relevant.

Last edited by Bishbot; April 8 2008 at 12:40 PM. Reason: punctuation issues
Old April 8 2008, 01:04 PM   #240
ATimson
Rear Admiral

Hirogen Alpha wrote: View Post
I'm guessing that 1.8 being good for the sci-fi channel is dependent on the programming being cheap to produce (which Galactica is not).
Not "cheap to produce", but rather "cheap to buy". Especially if it's making tons of money on DVD sales, Universal might be giving Skiffy a break up front in expection of making it back via DVD.

"...don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido