Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Star Trek Pop-Ups Book Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Cho: More On Selfie
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Battlestar Galactica & Caprica

Battlestar Galactica & Caprica This forum was created by man. It rebelled. It evolved. And it has a plan.

Old April 5 2008, 10:06 PM   #196
sidious618
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to sidious618
Re: Ratings are in !

The idea that they won't air the back half of season 4 is completely absurd. For Christ's sake they're making a spin off. One does not spin off shows that suck ratings wise. Sci-fi's ratings have gone down across the board.

Of course, at this point since the episodes are already being made and have already been scripted the ratings don't really matter anymore.
Old April 6 2008, 12:14 AM   #197
carriefox
Ensign

All you guy's are doing is making excuse's for nuBSG. Face it. Nobody cares but you. No matter how many critics kiss BSG's ass.
Old April 6 2008, 12:16 AM   #198
ialfan
Fleet Captain

carriefox wrote: View Post
All you guy's are doing is making excuse's for nuBSG. Face it. Nobody cares but you. No matter how many critics kiss BSG's ass.
Well the fact is the show got it's fourth season and the producers chose to end the story. The series was not cancelled and was very sucessful for scifi channel. In fact it has been successful enough to get a spinoff.

It is very critically acclaimed which means a lot more than the public liking it. To be honest most of the public are idiots who think American Idol is as good as TV gets.
Old April 6 2008, 01:18 AM   #199
nx1701g
Admiral

Johnny Rico wrote: View Post
Besides, isn't there several other venues/outlets now where you can get access to the episodes? So I'm just wondering how relative these ratings are anymore. Not to mention DVR time-shifted viewing.
True, but networks are still focusing primarily on the TV Ratings rather than internet ratings because the majority of the funding comes from the TV adverts rather than the Online Adverts.
Old April 6 2008, 02:40 AM   #200
Samuel T. Cogley
Vice Admiral

I just can't figure out how all this talk about ratings is supposed to have any effect on my enjoyment of the show, which of course, it doesn't.
Old April 6 2008, 05:08 AM   #201
nevermore
Admiral

TheMasterOfOrion wrote: View Post
flamingliberal wrote: View Post
The show is a money-maker for Sci-Fi, and that is what determines whether a show stays on the air; ratings are incidental to that because the determine the ad prices.
Actually I read the show was operating at a loss with each episode and costing skiffy money, if people aren't watching the advert slots will make less. That's why they tried to squeeze this season out for another two years. Except this time 'round it might get beat by re-runs of Spongebob and StarTrek Enterprise.
Um, I posted that in October 2006. It was, in fact, making money for them at the time. I don't know or care whether it is now. I'll thank you not to "refute" any year and a half old posts of mine in the future.

The ratings are irrelevant anyway, it's got this season, and it's done. Which, by the way, I think is a good thing as I prefer limited-run shows; quality over quantity and all that. Why bother belaboring the point?
Old April 6 2008, 08:21 AM   #202
Jack Bauer
Fleet Admiral

Samuel T. Cogley wrote: View Post
I just can't figure out how all this talk about ratings is supposed to have any effect on my enjoyment of the show, which of course, it doesn't.
Don't you know that if a show has low ratings you're supposed to hate it? You can only like shows with good ratings because we all know good ratings = quality!
Old April 6 2008, 10:29 AM   #203
Bishbot
Fleet Captain

carriefox wrote: View Post
Why should we care if anybody cares but us? We know its a good show and we know its going to end at the end of this season - ratings are beyond irrelevant. If the mouth-breathers that make up most of the population of the world don't want to watch BSG then frankly that's their loss.

(assume I also said that if you're an intelligent person but the show is "not for you" then that's ok too...)
Old April 6 2008, 01:58 PM   #204
TheMasterOfOrion
Fleet Captain

Ratings matter if Skiffy wants to see the Caprica spin off succeed
Here's what BSG is up against

Ghost Hunters 1.9
National Treasure 1.7
Ogre 1.6
Stargate Atlantis 1.5
Destination Truth 1.4
ECW 1.2
Gryphon 1.1
Grendel 1.1
Snake King 1.0
Final Destination 2 0.9
The Scorpion King 0.9
The Puppet Masters 0.9
Reptilian 0.9
Species: Awakening 0.8
The Arrival 0.7

A sad reflection on the channel when Ghost Hunters and Wrestling are doing so well, I also believe the ratings for this season's Stargate Atlantis are not doing so well.
Old April 6 2008, 03:02 PM   #205
Samuel T. Cogley
Vice Admiral

Well, I don't give a shit about Caprica. In fact, I think it's probably a mistake.

So, you're just about all out of ways to convince me that the sky is falling, Chicken Little.
Old April 6 2008, 03:26 PM   #206
Turbo
Vice Admiral

View Turbo's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Turbo

Please. If BSG gets a 1.3 average rating, Season 4.5 is a given. They gave Season 5 to Atlantis with an average about there; the ratings didn't improve until after that announcement.
Kira: That's the thing about faith. If you don't have it, you can't understand it and if you do, no explanation is necessary.
Old April 6 2008, 03:31 PM   #207
Warp Coil
Rear Admiral

I figure that, at this point, ratings don't matter. I don't care if BSG tanks this season, because the show is ending. So long as I get to see the series through to the end, I'll be happy. Sci-Fi won't cancel the series and stop airing new episodes half-way through (they didn't do that with any of their craptacular shows like "Painkiller Jane"). BSG will gets it's complete season order. It will air all 20 episodes. It will end. If the series gets good ratings, that's just icing on the cake.
"I managed to find Uno and Checkers, and also parts of Battleship and most of the pieces of Candy Land, which I figure, I can mix together to create a fabulous new game, CandyShipBattleLand. War never tasted so good." - Lorelai Gilmore
Old April 6 2008, 03:45 PM   #208
Bishbot
Fleet Captain

Samuel T. Cogley wrote: View Post
Well, I don't give a shit about Caprica. In fact, I think it's probably a mistake.

So, you're just about all out of ways to convince me that the sky is falling, Chicken Little.
Exactly - I'm prepared to give Caprica a chance but if it doesn't succeed I don't care in the slightest at this point - we'll always have Battlestar. For example, just because Enterprise sucked and got cancelled doesn't reflect badly on Star Trek: The Original Series.
Old April 6 2008, 05:31 PM   #209
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

Archangel wrote: View Post
For a premiere thats a very bad sign
Why is that? Is Sci-fi going to cancel the show!?

The ratings for all Sci-fi Channel shows dropped like a rock, BSG is no different.

Sci-fi is a terrible network that has a terrible history of making terrible dictions. Luckily BSG is ending and therefor I will not need to watch the channel unless I'm bored or high.
Old April 6 2008, 06:30 PM   #210
sidious618
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to sidious618

Even if the ratins are lie 0.3 they are still going to make Caprica into a show because they have nothing else.

Let's face it: BSG is the only show sci-fi channel has that is respected.