Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Art

Fan Art Post your Trek fan art here, including hobby models and collectibles.

Old October 19 2006, 08:49 PM   #181
Forbin
Admiral

Re: Deck Plans V: The Not-So-Final Go Around

^It may have worked with the 203-person crew in the Pike years 9as long as it's still a 947-foot-long ship).

I think it's nuts, though, to put a fully functional bathroom in every quarters. Give everybody a dorm-sized room, and put a public lavatory at the end of every other corridor. Each crew section could have a shower room, and the crew a shower schedule.
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19 2006, 11:01 PM   #182
Captain Robert April
Vice Admiral

Location: In selfless service to fandom, on the road to becoming a Star Trek trivia god...

A common bathroom for every two cabins should be fine, as well as avoiding the spectacle of crewmen (and more importantly, crewwomen) traipsing through the corridors in towels in bathrobes (or less, in the case of the less inhibited personnel and/or VIPs).

Being caught in the head during a red alert is one thing. Being caught in the head that's down the hall from your quarters, and your uniform, is another.

Moving back to the "how many people per cabin" matter, I'm thinking the bulk of Security, being the equivelent of Marines on a Navy vessel, would fall under the same requirements as I laid out for the engineering staff, in not moreso.

So, I guess I need to break down the organization of the onboard security detail, and set up the quarters appropriately.

The more you dig, the more work there is to do...
Captain Robert April is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19 2006, 11:16 PM   #183
Ptrope
Agitator

Nothing wrong with the spectacle of barely-clad crewwomen traipsing the halls .

Just for reasons of practicality, a "dormlike" arrangement makes sense to contain the amount of space needed to house the crew, particularly the enlisted or junior crew. Heck, the curved layout even makes it easy, at least as one is closer to the center, to arrange multiple cabins so that they share a single bath/restroom facility that sits inside the curve, allowing access from all the connected cabins without even needing to go down a hallway to reach it; they just have inner doors that connect to the shared facilities. In fact, it should be possible to cluster cabins and bathrooms pretty much anywhere in the ship; just place the facilities in the center of a block of 4, 6, whatever dorm rooms.

At any rate, the ship needs to have public facilities throughout - I can't believe that the crew would have to go all the way back to their quarters to use the restroom, or ask to use someone else's bathroom .
Old October 20 2006, 05:22 AM   #184
Captain Robert April
Vice Admiral

Location: In selfless service to fandom, on the road to becoming a Star Trek trivia god...

True, some "public" facilities would seem to be warranted.

It always comes back to the old question of where the toilets were on the Enterprise....
Old October 20 2006, 01:28 PM   #185
Forbin
Admiral

Being caught in the head during a red alert is one thing. Being caught in the head that's down the hall from your quarters, and your uniform, is another.

Well, they seem to manage in today's Navy.
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20 2006, 04:37 PM   #186
Redfern
Commodore

Ptrope said:
Nothing wrong with the spectacle of barely-clad crewwomen traipsing the halls .
Especially if they're female Caitians with pert lil' fuzzy butts!

"Right, who let the droolin' "furvert" in here??!!!"

Sincerely,

Bill

Freighter Tails: the Misadventures of Mzzkiti
Redfern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21 2006, 04:04 AM   #187
Captain Robert April
Vice Admiral

Forbin said:

Well, they seem to manage in today's Navy.
Present day Navy vessels generally get a bit more warning than a starship gets when a Romulan warbird decloaks off the starboard bow.

Besides, if the toilet situation can be improved, why not do it? After all, this is Starfleet we're talking about.
Old October 21 2006, 04:07 AM   #188
ancient
Vice Admiral

The Enterprise has the best damn toilets in the fleet! Scotty personally spit-shines each one! No mold on this ship, no sir.
Old October 21 2006, 06:08 AM   #189
doctorwho 03
Captain

ancient said:
The Enterprise has the best damn toilets in the fleet! Scotty personally spit-shines each one! No mold on this ship, no sir.
(Al Bundy voice) Not just any toilets, Fergusons. The king of bowls. The Stradivarious of toilets. My dad can play one like a violin. No designer colors or weak, little apologetic flushing noises. These only come in white, and when you flush them, BA-WOOSH!. Now, that's a mans flush. A Ferguson says, "I'm a toilet. Sit down and give me your best shot."

Oh, I am so getting banned for that.

Visit my Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/doctorwho03
doctorwho 03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21 2006, 08:25 AM   #190
Captain Robert April
Vice Admiral

EXT - ENTERPRISE IN SPACE

We hear the loud, manly flush of a toilet, followed by the dimming of the warp nacelles.

BUNDY (V/O)

Oh, yeah!
Old October 21 2006, 05:43 PM   #191
ancient
Vice Admiral

KIRK: "Scotty, divert more power to my toilet! I've flushed and flushed but it just won't go down!"

SCOTT: "But captain, I nae got the power! I can'ne change the laws of physics!"
Old October 21 2006, 10:31 PM   #192
JJohnson
Captain

Captain Robert April said:
EXT - ENTERPRISE IN SPACE

We hear the loud, manly flush of a toilet, followed by the dimming of the warp nacelles.

BUNDY (V/O)

Oh, yeah!
I would love to see someone do a little 15-20 second video of that! Now that's a viral video waiting to happen!

James
JJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1 2006, 06:41 AM   #193
Captain Robert April
Vice Admiral

In other news, I managed to take advantage of Tower Records' liquidation sale and pick up one of the new bronze handled phasers at 20% off, then later found a TOS 2nd Season DVD set at GameStop for less than $40.

Besides, we've got new folks poking around these days, so all this is new to them.
Old November 1 2006, 10:10 PM   #194
Aegis
Lieutenant Commander

Nice work......I was wondering where the phasers really were, and now I know!
Aegis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2 2006, 06:41 AM   #195
Captain Robert April
Vice Admiral

And the best part is, the remastered episodes haven't contradicted me, at least when it comes to the phasers.

The photon torpedoes, that's another question, but I may just ignore that problem entirely, just to be annoying.