Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Art

Fan Art Post your Trek fan art here, including hobby models and collectibles.

Old September 13 2006, 04:44 AM   #151
Captain Robert April
Vice Admiral

Location: In selfless service to fandom, on the road to becoming a Star Trek trivia god...
Re: Deck Plans V: The Not-So-Final Go Around

Working on updating the cross section, including the dingleberry...
Captain Robert April is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17 2006, 10:46 PM   #152
Captain Robert April
Vice Admiral

Location: In selfless service to fandom, on the road to becoming a Star Trek trivia god...

Upon further review, the dingleberry is coming back out.

Elsewhere, it has been pointed out that, in fact, the entire lower sensor dome lit up...

... so, during regular production at least, there was no opaque little nipple with a skinny little willie hangin' in the interstellar breeze.

So, any guesses as to when in the timeline it was present?

Old September 17 2006, 11:10 PM   #153
Captain Robert April
Vice Admiral

As I suspected, it appears that the dingleberry only appears while the model was at this stage of development...

...and promptly disappeared before regular production began.
Old September 18 2006, 01:49 AM   #154
ancient
Vice Admiral

So Starfleet castrated the Enterprise?
Old September 18 2006, 02:43 AM   #155
Captain Robert April
Vice Admiral

More like they made damned sure that the ship would be called "she".
Old October 2 2006, 06:13 AM   #156
Captain Robert April
Vice Admiral

Upon additional review, it looks like the dingleberry is back in.

First off, thanks to the fine folks at Trekcore.com for giving us such pics as this...

Second, it looks like, yes, that little whatsit is there, but the whole thing lights up, making it virtually undetectable under brighter lighting conditions.

So, no castration for the Enterprise after all.
Old October 13 2006, 06:05 AM   #157
Captain Robert April
Vice Admiral

Taking a short break from the latest crisis...

That aft briefing room will most likely go, if only to provide access to that ladder, but this is essentially the final cross section for the primary hull.
Old October 13 2006, 08:37 AM   #158
johnhazard
Commander

View johnhazard's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to johnhazard Send a message via Yahoo to johnhazard

If I may bring up the dingleberry again (I see you put it in your deckplans)...

Was it my imagination, or did the phasers, in the enhanced episodes, still not come from any specific point? The "proximity phasers" in Balance of Terror didn't seem to come from the dingleberry.
Frankenstein Superstar
johnhazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13 2006, 04:31 PM   #159
Irishman
Fleet Captain

I really like the idea that this dingleberry represents the infamous "ion pod". It explains why the feature disappears. In the episode, the Ion Pod is jettisoned, and we can argue that SF simply didn't see fit to reinstall a new one. Perhaps it wasn't seen as vital to the ship's operation. Perhaps it was updated to a newer ion pod that looked completely different, or was located in another part ofthe hull (that lower sensor dome being too vulnerable a spot for whatever reasons. Perhaps radiation from the main sensor/deflector dish interfered with getting correct readings from the ion pod located there, so they moved it).

just some ideas.
Irishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13 2006, 05:54 PM   #160
johnhazard
Commander

View johnhazard's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to johnhazard Send a message via Yahoo to johnhazard

That's funny- I have always wondered where and what that ion pod could be, and yesterday looking at these deck plans and the little service pods, I wondered again about the ion pod. It never occured to me, but you're right- that might make sense.

Now, if only we could figure out what the pod is, why it would need a man in it, and why it would need to be jettisoned. I always thought maybe it was the little nub at the end of the navigational deflector dish- a little sensor room where one could take direct readings from the particles being focussed in via the deflector dish. Eventually it overloads and needs to be jettisoned. That's my theory, but I bet the nub isn't big enough to fit a man- is it?
Frankenstein Superstar
johnhazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13 2006, 07:26 PM   #161
Warped9
Admiral

Whatever that thing is it looks really out-of-place and doesn't really fit with the rest of the ship's neatly thought out design. It looks just kinda added on.

And it's interesting that Greg Jein's model of the TOS E doesn't seem to have that thing and he must have had access to all kinds of archival material.

Has anyone noticed whether the original filming model in the Smithsonian still has the thing dangling from the lower sensor dome or has that dome long since been replaced?
Old October 13 2006, 08:12 PM   #162
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

^^^Long since replaced. It's gone through several renovations and "restorations". Each time I think the upper and lower domes where changed out. I remember seeing it one time in the A&S museum and it didn't even have an upper dome! You could see down into this big gaping hole on top of the bridge down to the light bulb that was there to light the dome. I suspect most detailing greebles on the ship have been long since lost and/or replaced. Only the original hull remains.
Old October 13 2006, 09:37 PM   #163
doctorwho 03
Captain

I went to the A&S museum last July and I did not see anything on the lower dome. My advise on this matter would be to make that thing retractable. At least we'd be able to explain why it's not seen, if not what it is. That sounds logical, right?

Visit my Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/doctorwho03
doctorwho 03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14 2006, 01:39 AM   #164
Warped9
Admiral

^^ Something retractable. Hmm... Now that's an idea I could accept. That works for me.
Old October 14 2006, 09:36 AM   #165
Captain Robert April
Vice Admiral

johnhazard said:
That's funny- I have always wondered where and what that ion pod could be, and yesterday looking at these deck plans and the little service pods, I wondered again about the ion pod. It never occured to me, but you're right- that might make sense.

Now, if only we could figure out what the pod is, why it would need a man in it, and why it would need to be jettisoned. I always thought maybe it was the little nub at the end of the navigational deflector dish- a little sensor room where one could take direct readings from the particles being focussed in via the deflector dish. Eventually it overloads and needs to be jettisoned. That's my theory, but I bet the nub isn't big enough to fit a man- is it?
No, it isn't, which is why I have those pods being deployed from that area just behind the main bridge. The pod trails out from a long, and rather wide, umbilical (picture a four-foot wide dryer hose), enabling more detailed sensor readings from whatever phenomenon is being studied. In the case of an ion storm, the danger is that the turbulence starts to get so severe that there's a danger of the pod either being ripped away or slamming into the ship. This then brings us to the procedure of getting the occupant out of the pod, by sliding down inside the umbilical back into the safety of the ship, so that the pod can be safely jettisoned. (I really need to work up an illustration of this.) What happened in the case of Ben Finney is that after he exited the pod, he jumped right into the nearby turbolift and went into hiding.

The dingleberry is just a directional sensor array, for more detailed sensor readings of a specific target.