New Star Trek Costumes Book
By: T'Bonz on May 19

Takei Voices Space Alien
By: T'Bonz on May 19

August Star Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on May 18

Pine To Star In New Drama
By: T'Bonz on May 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Art

Fan Art Post your Trek fan art here, including hobby models and collectibles.

Old September 7 2006, 05:37 AM   #136
Captain Robert April
Vice Admiral

Location: In selfless service to fandom, on the road to becoming a Star Trek trivia god...
Re: Deck Plans V: The Not-So-Final Go Around

johnhazard said:
Forbin said:
We artists work best when we're suffering ...
Suffering is highly overrated. It does more to stifle artistic work than to inspire it.
A-FRACKING-MEN!! Can't really get inspired about deck layouts when you're in survival mode.

Constitution Class question: Those windows on the bottom of the saucer- I'm looking to design a lab with an optical telescope looking down through one of those windows. Does that sound like something one might find down there? Just looking for an informed opinion.
I guess, although since I've pretty much got that entire level dedicated to the ship's weapons systems and security, it wouldn't really fit with my version.

And since all you'd really need is a sensor feed, an actual optical telescope would be a waste of valuable space.
Captain Robert April is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7 2006, 02:39 PM   #137
johnhazard
Commander

View johnhazard's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to johnhazard Send a message via Yahoo to johnhazard

Captain Robert April said:
...all you'd really need is a sensor feed, an actual optical telescope would be a waste of valuable space.
You're PROBABLY right, but I'm not sure- might'nt there be SOMETHING an optical telescope can do that sensors and scanners can't? Can we really know, considering this is make believe 23rd century technology?

Besides, the telescope-like device looking down through the window might be a dedicated scanner that the lab in question could direct at whatever they wanted to- though, looking downward out one of those windows, it would have a very limited range of movement.
Frankenstein Superstar
johnhazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11 2006, 04:57 AM   #138
Captain Robert April
Vice Admiral

Location: In selfless service to fandom, on the road to becoming a Star Trek trivia god...

This might fit the bill of what you're considering.

From the new CGI model of the upcoming remastered Star Trek...

I'm guessing that little doohickey that many of us never knew was there until very recently is now canon, and yes, I will be including it into the plans at some point.

Looks to me like a directional sensor, for high level sensor scans. Probably only has a relatively short range (no further than. say, standard orbit over a Class M planet to just below the surface.
Old September 11 2006, 08:31 AM   #139
johnhazard
Commander

View johnhazard's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to johnhazard Send a message via Yahoo to johnhazard

WHAAAT!?!?!?!?
No, that's not what I had in mind... and I would guess that's the ship's main phaser or a photon torpedo launcher. If so, not a very elegant solution to where the heck do those weapons come out of. So wierd!
Frankenstein Superstar
Old September 11 2006, 04:10 PM   #140
Forbin
Admiral

According to research in other threads, that was indeed meant to be the main phaser emitter.

Effects never matched the doohickey, though.
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11 2006, 04:21 PM   #141
Tallguy
Fleet Captain

Would this suggest that the nearly identical details on top of the bridge and on top of the shuttle deck have the same function?
Old September 11 2006, 09:54 PM   #142
Forbin
Admiral

I never saw a dingus in those locations.
Old September 11 2006, 09:59 PM   #143
Tallguy
Fleet Captain

I don't believe a dingus ever existed in the position it now occupies, either. Or are we suggesting that this isn't a retcon and that the dingus was on the physical model? (Myself, I've always been comfortable, and rather charmed with the idea of no visible emitter for the phasers. And by "always" I probably mean "since 1992".)
Old September 11 2006, 10:39 PM   #144
ancient
Vice Admiral

It's just another thing for intensive debate. Move over, Rotated bridge debate! There's a new debate in town. The 'toe' of the Enterprise...
Old September 11 2006, 11:14 PM   #145
johnhazard
Commander

I don't care for the no visible emiters for phasers idea. That idea is based on the concept of a material that can be harmlessly permeated by the beams. I know the phasers are supposed to be some kind of "phased energy", far more sophisticated than a laser or particle beam, but it's still a beam of energy that burns through stuff. I think the idea that there's a material that such energy could pass through harmlessly just seems silly- but, in the 23rd century, who knows?

I prefer the TMP/refit solution- twin ball turrets placed strategically around the hull. Of course, this might be too big a change on the original Enterprise, but I think they could have put one in place of that hanging digleberry. Though didn't the ship usually fire twin beams?
Frankenstein Superstar
Old September 12 2006, 03:26 AM   #146
Forbin
Admiral

Tallguy said:
I don't believe a dingus ever existed in the position it now occupies, either. Or are we suggesting that this isn't a retcon and that the dingus was on the physical model? (Myself, I've always been comfortable, and rather charmed with the idea of no visible emitter for the phasers. And by "always" I probably mean "since 1992".)
Unfortunately I'm not keeping track of the many threads on many boards, but someone somewhere did produce a photo showing that it WAS on the model.
Old September 12 2006, 07:23 AM   #147
Captain Robert April
Vice Admiral

^ I saw such a photo, but it was a closeup view, with no indication of what stage of evolution the model was at when the little thingie was present.

As for it intending to be the phaser emitter, well, here's one of those cases where it was best that those initial intentions were discarded. It seems to me that the animators seemed to focus in more, as best as they could at the time, on the ring surrounding the lower dome (certainly makes it easier to do twin phaser beams, rather than trying to connect them up to an invisible surface detail and deal with fan letters asking why the phasers seem to fire from several feet below the saucer).
Old September 12 2006, 02:59 PM   #148
johnhazard
Commander

I would prefer the twin emiters be on the ring- that way they could swivel around. I guess there could be a door for the torpedoes there too. But, I guess now the dingleberry is canon!
Frankenstein Superstar
Old September 13 2006, 01:27 AM   #149
CaptainBoh
Fleet Captain

Doesn't mean that its canon as the launcher though, or has there been something I haven't seen?
CaptainBoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13 2006, 01:38 AM   #150
ancient
Vice Admiral

johnhazard said:
I would prefer the twin emiters be on the ring- that way they could swivel around. I guess there could be a door for the torpedoes there too. But, I guess now the dingleberry is canon!
The fact that it exists is canon, but since it's purpose was never stated on-screen it has no official function. And I think it's just a retractable scanning antenna.