Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Old June 6 2006, 04:39 AM   #16
Lord Garth

Re: Star Trek Movie FAQ

Peach Wookiee said:
Much better than mine, Garth...
Well, this is really my third attempt at one.

Seriously. You should've seen the first version of my TOS FAQ from about four or five years ago... and I'll kill whoever unearths it.
Old June 6 2006, 04:50 AM   #17
Peach Wookiee
Cuddly Mod of Doom

Thanks, Rhosis...
And Garth...
Peach Wookiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14 2006, 03:58 AM   #18
Elder Knight
Captain

Part III. Timeline

1. Wait a minute. Are you telling me a decade passed between TMP and TWOK?
  • Before I answer, TOS and TOS movie chronologies are the most hotly debated subjects. Continuing on. TMP is said to take place only two-and-a-half years after the five-year mission. TWOK is stated to take place 15 years after "Space Seed". So imagine the 10-year break Star Trek had in real life as happening between TMP and TWOK instead of between TOS and TMP.
I always found it helpful to imagine TMP as a 1971 movie to keep things straight. (Wow! Such great fx only "two" years after 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY!)
Elder Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14 2006, 12:57 PM   #19
cardinal biggles
THE ZEPPO

Send a message via ICQ to cardinal biggles Send a message via AIM to cardinal biggles Send a message via Yahoo to cardinal biggles

Helps that Douglas Trumbull worked on both.
cardinal biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16 2006, 10:08 AM   #20
Candlelight
Admiral

Lord Garth said:
3. What's with the Klingon under the toppling tree shot in TSFS?
  • It's called a blooper.

What is this one?
Old June 16 2006, 12:14 PM   #21
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

Re: the Klingon under the toppling tree shot in TSFS
Year of Hell said:
What is this one?
Before the Klingons arrive on the Genesis planet, Saavik and David witness a tree falling during a tremor, and careful inspection by viewers can reveal part of a Klingon trapped within its branches. It's simply an editing error. The editor realized that footage of a tree was needed, but he selected a scene from much later in the movie, when the Klingons were closing in on Saavik and David.
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25 2006, 07:04 AM   #22
Zeppster
Commodore

I think Kirk's hair changes should atleast be talked about in this thread. I've seen it talked a lot about on many boards.
Old June 25 2006, 08:52 AM   #23
Maurice
Vice Admiral

Lord Garth said:
2. Khan had a baby?
  • There is a picture of a small child in the transporter room of the Reliant when Khan detonated the Genesis Device that has circulated around the Internet but is not . Whether or not it's Khan's child is never said, it's not in the script either. Draw your own conclusions. Mine would be that it was a production member's kid and they took the picture for kicks.

I have to take issue with this. The child in question is in the shooting script, and there are production photos (I have to dig them up and scan them) of the child looking out the window in the side of the cargo containers, and in the transporter room. In fact, editing the child out causes Terrell and Chekov to jump from one compartment to the other. They also looped one of Terrell's lines to "What about the tricorder?" from "What about the child?" when Chekov says, "We've got to get out of here, now!"
—Glen Larson, 2010
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28 2006, 12:57 AM   #24
Ru'afo
Lieutenant Commander

I've never believed that each cube has a Queen; that would be a little silly. Remember her rejoinder, in reaction to Picard's confusion, when he said "But that ship was destroyed": she said, "You think in such three-dimensional terms. How small you've become." There's a more complicated answer here. William Shatner speculated in his written sequel to Generations, "The Return", that the Borg have the ability to move in, and control, a fifth dimension of space, and that it gives them power and understanding that other creatures lack. I think she just shifted herself out of that ship, that perhaps, as the collective personified, she has the ability to move instantaneously (electronically? perhaps her form, her body, is from a mold that's recreated wherever she moves; remember, she once said in Voyager, that she was a member of a species herself; 135, was it?).
Disclaimer: if you see an extra u, a switched r & e, or an s instead of a z (zed, not zee!) in my spelling, it's because I'm Canadian, not because I'm wrong; not because you're right. Have a nice day. ;D
Ru'afo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28 2006, 06:03 AM   #25
Lord Garth

I have two options. Either I can edit this stuff in when I rotate back on as admin or one of the forum mods can edit this stuff in. Who knows when I'll be an admin again, so Option #2 makes more sense.
Old June 28 2006, 01:28 PM   #26
MarianLH
Fleet Captain

DS9Sega said:
Lord Garth said:
2. Khan had a baby?
  • There is a picture of a small child in the transporter room of the Reliant when Khan detonated the Genesis Device that has circulated around the Internet but is not . Whether or not it's Khan's child is never said, it's not in the script either. Draw your own conclusions. Mine would be that it was a production member's kid and they took the picture for kicks.

I have to take issue with this. The child in question is in the shooting script, and there are production photos (I have to dig them up and scan them) of the child looking out the window in the side of the cargo containers, and in the transporter room. In fact, editing the child out causes Terrell and Chekov to jump from one compartment to the other. They also looped one of Terrell's lines to "What about the tricorder?" from "What about the child?" when Chekov says, "We've got to get out of here, now!"
The child is also in the novelisation.

Marian

Half of being smart is knowing what you're dumb at.
--Jim McCarthy.
MarianLH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28 2006, 04:40 PM   #27
Lord Garth

biggles, Wookiee, help me out here. I feel like the dodgeball target at recess in elementary school!
Old June 28 2006, 05:33 PM   #28
cardinal biggles
THE ZEPPO

Send a message via ICQ to cardinal biggles Send a message via AIM to cardinal biggles Send a message via Yahoo to cardinal biggles

I'll be damned. It was in the script.

http://www.geocities.com/uss_patriot_4/Star_Trek_II.htm

Scene 18 is when Chekov sees the child looking at him through the porthole. And indeed, in Scene 213A, the child wanders into the transporter room and gets next to the Genesis device during the countdown.
cardinal biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10 2006, 05:49 AM   #29
Maurice
Vice Admiral

Yep, and it was shot, too. Somewhere I have pix from those scenes with the kid, both on Ceti Alpha V and in the transporter.
—Glen Larson, 2010
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10 2006, 04:22 PM   #30
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

DS9Sega said:
I have to take issue with this. The child in question is in the shooting script, and there are production photos.
The FAQs aren't disputing the child's existence. When it says, "Whether or not it's Khan's child is never said, it's not in the script either", it means the relationship to Khan is not spelt out by the script.
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote