Voyager Bridge Via The Oculus Rift
By: T'Bonz on Apr 21

Miles Away Glyph Award Nominations
By: T'Bonz on Apr 21

Q Meets NuTrek Crew
By: T'Bonz on Apr 18

Pine In Talks For Drama
By: T'Bonz on Apr 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Old September 17 2009, 01:54 PM   #1
Cheapjack
Fleet Captain

Super-Enhanced 525 line???

Having looked at some of those stills from the bluray DVD's, shouldn't they really be marketed as 'Super-Enhanced 525 line' rather than High Def? It's a bit of a swizz!
Cheapjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17 2009, 03:42 PM   #2
Doug Otte
Fleet Captain

Re: Super-Enhanced 525 line???

I don't get it. Which particular stills from which particular BDs are you referencing?

Doug
Doug Otte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17 2009, 05:59 PM   #3
Grant
Fleet Captain

Hibby-dibby, bibble bobble blab.
Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18 2009, 11:57 AM   #4
Cheapjack
Fleet Captain

http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/276...iew/index.html

I would have thought that the fact I posted in the movies section was a bit of a clue.

Only ST2 has come from the original film. All the rest are enhanced ordinary DVD, from the 1999 DVD transfers.

I think it's a bit of a swizz to market them as High DEF?
Old September 18 2009, 12:35 PM   #5
Cryogenic
Lieutenant Commander

Although Paramount's choices and techniques can be questioned, the fact is that all the films are a substantial improvement over their DVD cousins, and are clearly "High Definition" transfers. I'm not quite following you, Cheapjack. Yes, the transfers are by no means perfect -- DNR, sharpening, crushed blacks, and so on -- but they are also, by far, the best these films have ever looked on any home video format, and they clearly display unparalleled detail over any and all previous releases. Reference quality? No. Still a nice display of what HD can do? Yes.
Cryogenic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18 2009, 12:45 PM   #6
Cheapjack
Fleet Captain

If they were taken from the film, there would be more detail, not just some computer algorithm's idea of what should be there. I don't think it's right to market them as HD, they're just enhanced ordinary DVD.

I'll still be buying them. They might never come out again, though the technology might become a hell of a lot cheaper.
Old September 18 2009, 01:32 PM   #7
trevanian
Rear Admiral

Cheapjack wrote: View Post
If they were taken from the film, there would be more detail, not just some computer algorithm's idea of what should be there. I don't think it's right to market them as HD, they're just enhanced ordinary DVD.

I'll still be buying them. They might never come out again, though the technology might become a hell of a lot cheaper.
Buying THESE things is a way of guaranteeing that Paramount will keep dishing out crap, knowing you'll buy it despite it being crap. To me, the DNR alone is enough to keep me from buying, because they've taken the filmlook out of the thing. If this keeps up, serious viewers are going to need to start recollecting film prints of movies instead of relying on homevid.
trevanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18 2009, 03:36 PM   #8
Cryogenic
Lieutenant Commander

Cheapjack wrote: View Post
What the hell are you talking about? They *are* taken from the films. They're *not* just upscaled DVD-SD transfers, as you're incorrectly stating. There is a ton more detail -- real, authentic detail -- that no computer algorithm on Earth could simulate. The Blu-ray transfers may have been taken from heavily tinkered and not completely up-to-date HD transfers, but they were indeed taken from HD transfers, not lower-resolution masters.
Old September 18 2009, 06:16 PM   #9
Doug Otte
Fleet Captain

They're taken from old transfers, yes, with the problems noted by Cryogenic above. However, the transfers have 1080 lines, p or i, not 525, so they are indeed "HD."

I agree that they are a bit disappointing. They're better than DVD, but not as good as they could be.

Doug
Doug Otte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18 2009, 07:19 PM   #10
Haggis and tatties
Rear Admiral

I thought they were absolutely fantastic pictures wise, i was blown away when i saw TMP, the TV show versions were like watching the show for the first time all over again.

Of course I'm no expert on pic/sound wise but they were a vast improvement over the DVD versions.

Haggis and tatties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19 2009, 12:42 AM   #11
trevanian
Rear Admiral

Haggis and Tatties wrote: View Post
I thought they were absolutely fantastic pictures wise, i was blown away when i saw TMP, the TV show versions were like watching the show for the first time all over again.

Of course I'm no expert on pic/sound wise but they were a vast improvement over the DVD versions.
Brightness and edge sharpness increases only really work when you've got texture detail also increasing ... the blu-rays have the first, but not the second, so it is like looking at the movie through a bad split diopter ... the faces and ships are soft on the 'inside' and bright and crisp on the corners, due to the noise reduction/grain reduction crap.
trevanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19 2009, 12:24 PM   #12
Haggis and tatties
Rear Admiral

I cant comment on the technical process but my eyes tell me the picture was a vast improvement over the DVD versions and they were sharp, colourful and fresh looking....i really enjoyed watching them.

The original series was a utter joy to watch, and again it was sharp colourful and vibrant, so much that I'm sitting here chomping at the bit for the second season to be released.

It was like watching them for the first time all over again.

Old September 19 2009, 12:51 PM   #13
Cryogenic
Lieutenant Commander

The original series was a utter joy to watch, and again it was sharp colourful and vibrant, so much that I'm sitting here chomping at the bit for the second season to be released.
In three days, you'll champ no more, my friend:

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Star-T...y-Review/6281/
Old September 19 2009, 03:55 PM   #14
Grant
Fleet Captain

Star Trek 1 & 2 were given 4 stars, for video quality, by Hidefdigest----moviies that are 30 & 27 years old----
3, 5 & 6 got 3 stars

These are numbers higher than many, many brand new releases of movies that were in the theater in the past few years to the present.

And some numbskull wants to call them '525 line upscales'

It's like wearing a sign that says, "I'm an ass."

They have NEVER looked better in ANY video format.

Did they go the extra mile and spend the extra money to make them as perfect as they possibly could? No, very few studios do ALL they could for catalog titles----especially ones that have been sold and sold and resold over many years and many formats and they know some folks aren't goning to buy them again even if the quality is a little higher.

Lastly, the reason for the 'not perfect' ratings was 'digital noise reduction' that is only really noticed on larger, very high quality HDTVs and most of the folks I know don't have $4000 50+ inch displays.

But the cleaness of the prints, the color correction, the sharpness were all great. Never looked better and more real.
Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20 2009, 02:25 PM   #15
Haggis and tatties
Rear Admiral

Cryogenic wrote: View Post
In three days, you'll champ no more, my friend:

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Star-T...y-Review/6281/