Three New Star Trek Beyond Set Shots
By: T'Bonz on Aug 31

Retro Review: Elogium
By: Michelle Erica Green on Aug 28

Trek Swype Keyboard
By: T'Bonz on Aug 28

Meaney In Talks For McGuinness Role
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Old April 2 2015, 04:10 PM   #1
enterprisecvn65
Captain

It's a little sad to see how many people in TWOK are gone.

I just kind of realized the other day how many people in or associated with TWOK are gone.

So in order of importance, in TWOK, I'd rank the actors roles in the following order: *=deceased.

Shatner
Nimoy*
Montablan*
Alley
Kelley*
Bibi Besch*
Merritt Butrick*
Koenig
Paul Winfield*
Doohan*
Judson Scott (As Joachim who isn't in the credits because his agent was an idiot)
Takei
Nichols

So 7 of the 13 primary actors are gone and of the ones that are still alive I'd say only Shatner and Alley had what would be called major roles in the film.

Koenig and Judson Scott had moderate roles and Takei and Nichols basically just sat in their chairs and did their jobs.

So it's not just the number but the fact it's so top heavy with the leading roles.

Plus Bennett, Sowards and Roddenberry, despite not having any real power, others associated with the film.

Yes I'm aware it's been 33 years and many of these people weren't exactly spring chickens when they died....Still at least 3 (Winfield, Buttrick and Besch) died well short of normal life span.

I know...it's death and someday all 13 will be gone and so will everyone on here. Just kind of surprised me when I realized just how many are gone, and it doesn't feel like it was that long ago.

Shit......at this rate I'll be dead in no time. Might as well go out and buy the custom Corvette I've always wanted now I can't dick around for another 30-40 years if I want to enjoy it

Last edited by enterprisecvn65; April 2 2015 at 07:46 PM.
enterprisecvn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2 2015, 04:21 PM   #2
Cyke101
Rear Admiral

Re: It's a little sad to see how many people in TWOK are gone.

Winfield was one of those actors who really could do no wrong. Everything he did was gold; even if he was in a bad movie or two, it wasn't because of him at all. TWOK was my first exposure to his work.

As much as we Trekkies talk about Montalban's work, I'm much more impressed by how far he helped advance the visibility of Latino actors in Hollywood. Before him, most of those roles were either as servants, bumbling idiots, or foot soldiers/henchmen. Then comes in this debonair and charismatic actor shooting down all those stereotypes, and then he specifically started the Nosotros Foundation so that future generations of Latino actors would be empowered to break down those barriers as well. I'm of the firm belief that he was cast as Khan precisely because he was such a strong and commanding leader in real life.
Old April 2 2015, 04:33 PM   #3
Foxhot
Commodore

Cyke101 wrote: View Post
Winfield was one of those actors who really could do no wrong. Everything he did was gold; even if he was in a bad movie or two, it wasn't because of him at all. TWOK was my first exposure to his work.
He was extra-prone to having his characters die in the late '70s and mid-'80s (TWILIGHT'S LAST GLEAMING, DAMNATION ALLEY, TWOK, THE TERMINATOR, BLUE CITY) until Bill Paxton temporarily took up that mantle, croaking four times in 1990 alone.

Winfield's Emmy for his PICKET FENCES guest spot was especially well-deserved.
Old April 2 2015, 04:38 PM   #4
martok2112
Fleet Captain

I really liked Paul Winfield's work in "Darmok" (TNG), where he played a member of an alien race whose means of communication were to relate metaphors, stories, and legends of their people. Seeing the growing understanding between Picard and Winfield's character was really compelling. Winfield for gave such life to his role, and it contributed to making Darmok one of TNG's greatest episodes. (IMVHO).
Old April 2 2015, 05:01 PM   #5
Captain Clark Terrell
Commodore

I was thinking about this the other day, as we're getting to the point where more of the actors and actresses from Star Trek are passing away. Other names that stand out from the films are Mark Lenard, Brock Peters, and Persis Khembatta.

--Sran
"He clapped his captain—his friend—on the shoulder. Yes, this man was very much like James Kirk, in all the ways that mattered." --Christopher L. Bennett-- Star Trek: Mere Anarachy, The Darkness Drops Again
Captain Clark Terrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2 2015, 07:37 PM   #6
enterprisecvn65
Captain

As much as we Trekkies talk about Montalban's work, I'm much more impressed by how far he helped advance the visibility of Latino actors in Hollywood. Before him, most of those roles were either as servants, bumbling idiots, or foot soldiers/henchmen. Then comes in this debonair and charismatic actor shooting down all those stereotypes, and then he specifically started the Nosotros Foundation so that future generations of Latino actors would be empowered to break down those barriers as well. I'm of the firm belief that he was cast as Khan precisely because he was such a strong and commanding leader in real life.
He narrated a show called "City Confidential" in the early 2000's. The show was basically a jazzed up version of a Dateline murder special focusing on the town as well as the crime. I'm generally not a fan of real life crime shown....but CC was just so unique, and the main reason was because his narration was awesome....it was totally cheesy sometimes but I just loved the show and listening to him.

When he died they replaced him with another actor, I can't remember his name offhand, he was in Platoon and was the guy in "Something about Mary" who asked the Frank or the beans when Stiller got his junk caught in his zipper.

He was good too, but it was like trying to replace Michael Jordan. No matter how good a shooting guard you were on the Bulls the year after Jordan retired, it was never going to be good enough.

Winfield was a very talented personality.
Old April 2 2015, 07:41 PM   #7
enterprisecvn65
Captain

Sran wrote: View Post
I was thinking about this the other day, as we're getting to the point where more of the actors and actresses from Star Trek are passing away. Other names that stand out from the films are Mark Lenard, Brock Peters, and Persis Khembatta.

--Sran
Yeah Khambatta died very young, like Buttrick.
Old April 2 2015, 08:38 PM   #8
Cyke101
Rear Admiral

enterprisecvn65 wrote: View Post

He narrated a show called "City Confidential" in the early 2000's. The show was basically a jazzed up version of a Dateline murder special focusing on the town as well as the crime. I'm generally not a fan of real life crime shown....but CC was just so unique, and the main reason was because his narration was awesome....it was totally cheesy sometimes but I just loved the show and listening to him.

When he died they replaced him with another actor, I can't remember his name offhand, he was in Platoon and was the guy in "Something about Mary" who asked the Frank or the beans when Stiller got his junk caught in his zipper.

He was good too, but it was like trying to replace Michael Jordan. No matter how good a shooting guard you were on the Bulls the year after Jordan retired, it was never going to be good enough.

Nobody badmouths Keith David!

(jk, I'm also a big Keith David fan. He's one of the hardest working actors in Hollywood, and he's funny in Community right now. His anti-Donky Kong rant is already one of my faves! )

Ahem, anyawy, Keith David is one of those actors who I hope to one day see in Star Trek. Everything he says or does is just laced with gravitas.
Old April 2 2015, 09:48 PM   #9
Smellmet
Fleet Captain

Foxhot wrote: View Post
He was extra-prone to having his characters die in the late '70s and mid-'80s (TWILIGHT'S LAST GLEAMING, DAMNATION ALLEY, TWOK, THE TERMINATOR, BLUE CITY) until Bill Paxton temporarily took up that mantle, croaking four times in 1990 alone.

Bill Paxton. Now there's an actor whilst not amazing by any stretch, has managed to be in a string of entertaining roles and movies down the years, and an actor who I'd love to see in Trek.

'Maybe you haven't been keeping up on current events, but we just got our asses kicked, pal!' - Aliens 1986
Old April 2 2015, 10:38 PM   #10
enterprisecvn65
Captain

(jk, I'm also a big Keith David fan. He's one of the hardest working actors in Hollywood, and he's funny in Community right now. His anti-Donky Kong rant is already one of my faves! )

Ahem, anyawy, Keith David is one of those actors who I hope to one day see in Star Trek. Everything he says or does is just laced with gravitas.
I didn't badmouthing Keith David a bit. He did a good narrating city confidential, he just didn't have the flair for drama Winfield did.

On the flip side I don't think Winfield would have been as good in platoon as david was. He had a hard ass edge about him that fit perfect with a nam soldier. Don't think Winfield had that kind of attitude.

Both great actors. Just better in different ways.
Old April 2 2015, 10:51 PM   #11
Cyke101
Rear Admiral

I didn't badmouthing Keith David a bit.
Don't worry, that's why I typed in JK, as in "just kidding" up there, as well as that happy cheery little smiley face. I was just having some chill fun with you.
Old April 2 2015, 11:26 PM   #12
enterprisecvn65
Captain

I didn't badmouthing Keith David a bit.
Don't worry, that's why I typed in JK, as in "just kidding" up there, as well as that happy cheery little smiley face. I was just having some chill fun with you.
I know. I was just funning back.

I wouldn't have bad mouthed his character in platoon though he was a bad ass. I especially like the scene when sheen is saying how they should frag Barnes for killing Elias and everyone else is too chickenshit to do it except david who says "I'm down with that....an eye for an eye"

He does good comedy too.
Old April 2 2015, 11:32 PM   #13
enterprisecvn65
Captain

Smellmet wrote: View Post
Foxhot wrote: View Post

Bill Paxton. Now there's an actor whilst not amazing by any stretch, has managed to be in a string of entertaining roles and movies down the years, and an actor who I'd love to see in Trek.

'Maybe you haven't been keeping up on current events, but we just got our asses kicked, pal!' - Aliens 1986
Bill Paxton. I love that guy. He's the very definition of a mediocre actor imho. Yet he's gotten roles in many big films and as far as I know it's not because was connected like Nicholas Coppola, whoops I mean cage, or gwynwth Paltrow.

Interesting trivia he was in the crowd when jfk landed at love field, his first stop on the day he was killed. There are even pictures of Paxton on his dad's shoulders showing him in the crowd.
Old April 3 2015, 12:09 AM   #14
Smellmet
Fleet Captain

His role in Aliens, Weird Science, True Lies and A Simple Plan were all just awesome - all memorable characters that have provided me with huge entertainment on their own merit. Like I say he is not a brilliant actor at all but he has chosen his roles so well. Even the likes of U-571, Twister, Predator 2, Trespass, Tombstone, Apollo 13 and Titanic, he's really good in and when he makes an appearance improves the film. I think he's ace. Back to the previous discussion, Paul Winfield is similar but on a smaller scale.
Old April 3 2015, 12:13 AM   #15
Smellmet
Fleet Captain

Absolutely, he is another actor similar to Paxton. Not amazing but pops up in so many great roles. He could have been shite his whole career and I still wouldn't have cared since he delivered that hilarious, amazing fist fight with 'Rowdy' Roddy Piper in They Live!