RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 137,889
Posts: 5,329,995
Members: 24,557
Currently online: 486
Newest member: Mgroup Video

TrekToday headlines

Retro Review: Inquisition
By: Michelle on Jul 12

Cubify Star Trek 3DMe Mini Figurines
By: T'Bonz on Jul 11

Latest Official Starships Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Jul 10

Seven of Nine Bobble Head
By: T'Bonz on Jul 9

Pegg The Prankster
By: T'Bonz on Jul 9

More Trek Stars Join Unbelievable!!!!!
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old January 26 2009, 09:41 PM   #1336
Trent Roman
Rear Admiral
 
Trent Roman's Avatar
 
Location: The Palace of Pernicious Pleasures
Re: Cast the Characters of Trek Literature

Sci wrote: View Post
As someone who has been involved in the words of amateur, university, and professional theatre, I can assure you that for every beautiful woman who is cast in a role, there are dozens and dozens and dozens of other beautiful women and even more dozens of less-attractive women who would be more than capable of playing the part as well. There are legions of unattractive actresses out there -- they just don't get cast because Hollywood doesn't think anyone wants to watch unattractive women.
This is what I meant, since the casting taking place in this thread is based on people seen in those mediums.

Fictitiously yours, Trent Roman
__________________
Obdurants and Amusings - Behind the Shampoo Curtain
Trent Roman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26 2009, 09:58 PM   #1337
Sci
Admiral
 
Sci's Avatar
 
Location: "We hold these truths to be self-evident..."
Re: Cast the Characters of Trek Literature

Trent Roman wrote: View Post
Sci wrote: View Post
As someone who has been involved in the words of amateur, university, and professional theatre, I can assure you that for every beautiful woman who is cast in a role, there are dozens and dozens and dozens of other beautiful women and even more dozens of less-attractive women who would be more than capable of playing the part as well. There are legions of unattractive actresses out there -- they just don't get cast because Hollywood doesn't think anyone wants to watch unattractive women.
This is what I meant, since the casting taking place in this thread is based on people seen in those mediums.

Fictitiously yours, Trent Roman
Ah, okay, gotcha.
__________________
"Every line of serious work that I have written since 1936 has been written, directly or indirectly, against totalitarianism and for democratic Socialism, as I understand it." - George Orwell, 1946
Sci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27 2009, 12:47 AM   #1338
Stevil2001
Rear Admiral
 
Stevil2001's Avatar
 
Location: 2010
Re: Cast the Characters of Trek Literature

David Mack wrote: View Post
Dimesdan wrote: View Post
While thinking of Destiny casting, how does Mark Harmon (Gibbs from NCIS) as MACO Major Stephen Foyle and Miranda Otto (Eowyn in The Lord of Rings: The Two Towers and Return of the King) as Commander Veronica Fletcher.
Actually, Major Foyle was inspired by and based on the character of Inspector Christopher Foyle (from the BBC mystery series Foyle's War), so my template was actor Michael Kitchen.
On the other hand, I am utterly in favor of "fantasy casting" when it concerns actors who are 100% awesome.
__________________
"All of time and space. Everywhere and anywhere, every star that ever was. Where do you want to start?"
Exploring the Universe
Stevil2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27 2009, 12:57 AM   #1339
TJ Sinclair
Captain
 
TJ Sinclair's Avatar
 
Location: There and back again...
Re: Cast the Characters of Trek Literature

Steve Mollmann wrote: View Post
David Mack wrote: View Post
Dimesdan wrote: View Post
While thinking of Destiny casting, how does Mark Harmon (Gibbs from NCIS) as MACO Major Stephen Foyle and Miranda Otto (Eowyn in The Lord of Rings: The Two Towers and Return of the King) as Commander Veronica Fletcher.
Actually, Major Foyle was inspired by and based on the character of Inspector Christopher Foyle (from the BBC mystery series Foyle's War), so my template was actor Michael Kitchen.
On the other hand, I am utterly in favor of "fantasy casting" when it concerns actors who are 100% awesome.
Yes, absolutely, I do indeed concur, wholeheartedly.

Michael Kitchen is perhaps the best actor to ever grace a BBC drama, and that's saying a lot. Christopher Foyle is probably my favorite fictional cop. Period. (Though, I gotta admit I love Mark Harmon, too, but it's not the same).

Every time I say Major Foyle's name, I kept thinking of Foyle's War (huzzah for more episodes, btw). Now that I know the character was inspired by Michael Kitchen, that might indeed be enough to get me to read Destiny. Excellent taste, David. :-)
TJ Sinclair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27 2009, 02:35 AM   #1340
JD
Admiral
 
JD's Avatar
 
Location: Arizona, USA
Re: Cast the Characters of Trek Literature

Christopher wrote: View Post
Dimesdan wrote: View Post
Christopher, as you created T'Ryssa Chen, who did you have in mind when you dreamn't her up?
Nobody in particular. Although my default mental image of her does have a vague resemblance to a friend of mine from college, ethnicity aside.


I only ask as I personally think either Natalie Portman or Kiera Knightly would be good casting for her.
Good grief, not even remotely in the ballpark. She's nothing like them in appearance. Her human ancestry is Chinese, and her features are described as "tomboyish." She doesn't look like a porcelain doll. The elfin delicacy of Portman or Knightley's features would be a better match for how Counselor T'Lana was described. (Also, Knightley is disturbingly thin. I think you'd need to actually, you know, eat food to meet Starfleet's physical fitness requirements.)

Also, it seems to me that a lot of people here are trying to cast actresses based primarily on their physical beauty. Does every female character have to be a knockout? We're casting for Starfleet officers, not Miss Universe contestants. Trys is attractive, but not movie-star gorgeous. Her sex appeal is more in her attitude.
What about the actress that Kermett and I both liked up thread, Lindsay Price. Here's a clip I found of her in Lipstick Jungle (no I don't watch it, I just saw a preview and thought she seemed pretty good for the part). According to wikipedia, she's even Korean/German/?
__________________
Over the course of many encounters and many years, I have successfully developed a standard operating procedure for dealing with big, nasty monsters. Run away. Me and Monty Python.
Harry Dresden - Blood Rites (The Dresden Files #6)
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27 2009, 03:26 AM   #1341
Christopher
Writer
 
Christopher's Avatar
 
Re: Cast the Characters of Trek Literature

^^I don't see it. A bit too mature, for one thing.
__________________
Christopher L. Bennett Homepage -- Site update 4/8/14 including annotations for Rise of the Federation: Tower of Babel

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27 2009, 04:09 PM   #1342
TerriO
Writer-type human
 
TerriO's Avatar
 
Location: Doing a little bit of writing
Re: Cast the Characters of Trek Literature

TJ Sinclair wrote: View Post
He put 18 minuets into one song?

Seriously, though... I really shouldn't be surprised that someone today hasn't heard of Arlo or Woody Guthrie... Jeez, in twenty years, people might not know who Bob Dylan is...
Yeah, but not knowing who Dylan is can actually be a good thing for some people (says the person who was scarred for life by her best friend singing Def Leppard's "Photograph" in her best Dylan impression, which will warp your brain for life). From that moment on I've been unable to hear any Dylan song without that breaking into my brain.

And if you haven't at least heard Alice's Restaurant, cleanse yourself, you uncleansed heathen! Just listen to it the next time it comes around on the guitar!
__________________
"Asking a working writer what he thinks about critics is like asking a lamppost what it feels about dogs."--John Osborne (no relation that I'm aware of)
TerriO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27 2009, 05:29 PM   #1343
KRAD
Keith R.A. DeCandido
 
KRAD's Avatar
 
Location: New York City
View KRAD's Twitter Profile
Re: Cast the Characters of Trek Literature

TerriO wrote: View Post
And if you haven't at least heard Alice's Restaurant, cleanse yourself, you uncleansed heathen! Just listen to it the next time it comes around on the guitar!
With feelin'.....
__________________
Keith R.A. DeCandido
Blog | Facebook | Twitter

"Even when you turn your back, you're facing something."
KRAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28 2009, 02:24 AM   #1344
JD
Admiral
 
JD's Avatar
 
Location: Arizona, USA
Re: Cast the Characters of Trek Literature

Christopher wrote: View Post
^^I don't see it. A bit too mature, for one thing.
Ok, cool. Thanks for the answer. I guess I'll just use my own mental image for now then.
__________________
Over the course of many encounters and many years, I have successfully developed a standard operating procedure for dealing with big, nasty monsters. Run away. Me and Monty Python.
Harry Dresden - Blood Rites (The Dresden Files #6)
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28 2009, 04:49 AM   #1345
TJ Sinclair
Captain
 
TJ Sinclair's Avatar
 
Location: There and back again...
Re: Cast the Characters of Trek Literature

TerriO wrote: View Post
TJ Sinclair wrote: View Post
He put 18 minuets into one song?

Seriously, though... I really shouldn't be surprised that someone today hasn't heard of Arlo or Woody Guthrie... Jeez, in twenty years, people might not know who Bob Dylan is...
Yeah, but not knowing who Dylan is can actually be a good thing for some people (says the person who was scarred for life by her best friend singing Def Leppard's "Photograph" in her best Dylan impression, which will warp your brain for life). From that moment on I've been unable to hear any Dylan song without that breaking into my brain.
Actually, I can't stand Dylan. I'd sooner drive an icepick through my ears than listen to him sing. There isn't a song that he's written which hasn't been made more palatable by someone else. And no, I don't mean Hendrix.
TJ Sinclair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28 2009, 05:13 AM   #1346
KRAD
Keith R.A. DeCandido
 
KRAD's Avatar
 
Location: New York City
View KRAD's Twitter Profile
Re: Cast the Characters of Trek Literature

^ Yeah, but at least you know who he is.
__________________
Keith R.A. DeCandido
Blog | Facebook | Twitter

"Even when you turn your back, you're facing something."
KRAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28 2009, 05:22 AM   #1347
TJ Sinclair
Captain
 
TJ Sinclair's Avatar
 
Location: There and back again...
Re: Cast the Characters of Trek Literature

KRAD wrote: View Post
^ Yeah, but at least you know who he is.
And that was my point. Love him or hate him, everyone should know who Dylan is, because his influence has been that widespread. The Guthries are on a similar plane, but the present generation has no clue who they are. In twenty years, that will probably happen to Dylan... and that's scary.
TJ Sinclair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28 2009, 11:31 AM   #1348
Dimesdan
Rear Admiral
 
Dimesdan's Avatar
 
Location: The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Dimesdan
Re: Cast the Characters of Trek Literature

TJ Sinclair wrote: View Post
KRAD wrote: View Post
^ Yeah, but at least you know who he is.
And that was my point. Love him or hate him, everyone should know who Dylan is, because his influence has been that widespread. The Guthries are on a similar plane, but the present generation has no clue who they are. In twenty years, that will probably happen to Dylan... and that's scary.
I also know who Bob Dylan is, I must admit though before a couple of years ago I hadn't really listened to any of his music until my girlfriend at the time put on on of his albums on a particularly long car journey.
Dimesdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28 2009, 11:41 AM   #1349
captcalhoun
Admiral
 
Location: everywhere
Re: Cast the Characters of Trek Literature

i used to get bob dylan and bob marley muddled up. i don't like either of them though.

nor the beatles or the stones.

*flees torch-bearing mob*
captcalhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28 2009, 03:42 PM   #1350
JD
Admiral
 
JD's Avatar
 
Location: Arizona, USA
Re: Cast the Characters of Trek Literature

KILL THE HERETIC!!!!
__________________
Over the course of many encounters and many years, I have successfully developed a standard operating procedure for dealing with big, nasty monsters. Run away. Me and Monty Python.
Harry Dresden - Blood Rites (The Dresden Files #6)
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
characters

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:50 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.