Pegg/Wright Trilogy In The Works
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Star Trek: The Compendium Rebate Details
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Gold Key Archives Volume 2
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Takei Documentary Wins Award
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old November 25 2008, 10:54 PM   #1171
Dimesdan
Rear Admiral

Location: The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Dimesdan
Re: Cast the Characters of Trek Literature

TJ Sinclair wrote: View Post
In season two of Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles, at least in the US. I believe she's done a bit of acting in the UK before.
Now I remember, SFX recently had an interview with her and some of the other people off it but as I don't watch it (I believe it's showing on Virgin1) I didn't read it.

And I actually thought Dame Maggie Smith is better cast as Councillor Charivretha zh'Thane but slighty younger than she is now, say twenty years or so.

As for Bacco and I apologise for being a bit Britsentric in my casting of these two, but I imagine Dame Judi Dench in the role.
Dimesdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25 2008, 11:28 PM   #1172
Marie1
Rear Admiral

I think she'd look the part, but I'm not 100% sure if her voice would work, it might be a bit distracting... since Andorians seem strong (and volatile, lol) is there someone a bit more muscular?

Also, maybe this is a bit too far, and I don't know a lot about Andorian genetics, but Shar has a very round face he must've gotten from at least one of his parents...
Vote: RA Avatar Contest #21!
"He sings lounges? I'm not familiar with that musical form."
-Taran'atar, DS9-R Mission Gamma 3 --Save Taran'atar!
Marie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26 2008, 12:50 AM   #1173
JD
Admiral

I don't know, I've always imagined her quite a bit older. The actress I've gone with is Allison Janey (sp) the first lady from The West Wing. That came from one of the authors, and unless I really really like someone else I tend to go with whoever they picked.
Old November 26 2008, 08:28 AM   #1174
captcalhoun
Admiral

TJ Sinclair wrote: View Post
In season two of Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles, at least in the US. I believe she's done a bit of acting in the UK before.
no, she hasn't. TSCC is her first acting role.
captcalhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26 2008, 09:13 AM   #1175
lvsxy808
Rear Admiral

Way way way too young, IMO. I was going for a Glenn Close type.

Read Deep Space Nine, Season 10
All 22 eps available to read on-screen or download and keep!
lvsxy808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26 2008, 03:01 PM   #1176
JD
Admiral

OOoooo, Glen Close works too.
Old December 7 2008, 06:37 PM   #1177
Daedalus12
Rear Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post

She doesn't look the least bit Chinese, though. I specifically said in the text that T'Ryssa had "tomboyish Asian features." If ethnicity didn't count, I'd probably go with Kristen Bell for T'Ryssa. (Heck, I'd go with Kristen Bell, period. )

As for Parminder Nagra, she's 5'3". That's too short for Choudhury.
How about Moon Bloodgood for T'Ryssa?
"Bennett & Meyer are obviously the Ceti Eels introduced into the collective brain of Trekdom, leading to easy manipulation (TWOK), impaired cognitive functionality (TSFS), drooling (TVH), agonized death (TFF) and extended post-mortem twitching (TUC).
Daedalus12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7 2008, 07:06 PM   #1178
Christopher
Writer

Daedalus12 wrote: View Post
Not even in the ballpark, either in looks or personality.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 7 2008, 07:19 PM   #1179
Daedalus12
Rear Admiral

Not even in the ballpark, either in looks or personality.
What is exactly T'Ryssa's personality? Isn't she half-Vulcan? You don't think Moon Bloodgood would be able to project those same personality in her acting? From the actresses that you have suggested it looks like you are going for the look that has dominated the post 90s Asian soap drama scene.
"Bennett & Meyer are obviously the Ceti Eels introduced into the collective brain of Trekdom, leading to easy manipulation (TWOK), impaired cognitive functionality (TSFS), drooling (TVH), agonized death (TFF) and extended post-mortem twitching (TUC).
Old December 7 2008, 07:35 PM   #1180
Christopher
Writer

What is exactly T'Ryssa's personality? Isn't she half-Vulcan?
In genes, but not in personality. Didn't you read the books she's in? She's playful, irreverent, quick-witted, and aggressively resistant to being stereotyped based on her Vulcan appearance.

You don't think Moon Bloodgood would be able to project those same personality in her acting?
Moon Bloodgood's a lovely and capable actress, but in the roles I've seen her in, she hasn't exactly shown herself to be a chameleon. And she's just the wrong type for this role, in the same way that, say, Heroes' pixieish Brea Grant would be the wrong type for SCE's Amazonian Domenica Corsi. You seem to be casting her solely on the fact that she's half-Asian, but there's nothing else about her that resembles the character in the slightest. If anything, ethnicity aside, she's much closer to the Jasminder Choudhury type, statuesque, elegant, and soft-spoken.

From the actresses that you have suggested it looks like you are going for the look that has dominated the post 90s Asian soap drama scene.
I have no reference for that. I live in the Midwest and I don't have satellite TV, so I have no idea what goes on in Asian soap operas.

Old December 7 2008, 08:00 PM   #1181
Daedalus12
Rear Admiral

In genes, but not in personality. Didn't you read the books she's in? She's playful, irreverent, quick-witted, and aggressively resistant to being stereotyped based on her Vulcan appearance.
No I have not read any book where her personality is featured prominently. I've read the Destiny trilogy this week and before that I read your Titan book. Those two are about all the Star Trek books I've read this year.

If anything, ethnicity aside, she's much closer to the Jasminder Choudhury type, statuesque, elegant, and soft-spoken.
Interestingly though Moon Bloodgood's upcoming movie role as Maya Sunee in Street Fighters is neither elegant nor soft-spoken. Don't get me wrong I posted the question before I saw your own choices. I see now that you are going for a different look and feel. More full-blooded Asian than half-Asian.

I have no reference for that. I live in the Midwest and I don't have satellite TV, so I have no idea what goes on in Asian soap operas.
I live in the South and I don't have satellite TV either. I got the impression from frequent visits to ethnic grocery shops here in Atlanta.
Old December 7 2008, 11:48 PM   #1182
JD
Admiral

I have a couple new ideas for Titan characters, for Xin I was thinking that maybe Peter Outerbridge, who plays David Sandstrom from the Canadian show ReGenesis, he is also in an upcoming Sanctuary episode and he guest starred in pilot episode of Fringe. I've been watching ReGenesis on Hulu while reading the Destiny books, and it just popped into my head that he could be a good Ra-Havreii. My other idea is Keith Szarabajka who played Holtz in Angel, and just guest starred in Prison Break and Cold Case, for the voice of Ree. Angel video with Holtz in a few bits.
Old December 8 2008, 01:57 AM   #1183
Chris McCarver
Lieutenant Commander

JD wrote: View Post
I have a couple new ideas for Titan characters, for Xin I was thinking that maybe Peter Outerbridge, who plays David Sandstrom from the Canadian show ReGenesis, he is also in an upcoming Sanctuary episode and he guest starred in pilot episode of Fringe. I've been watching ReGenesis on Hulu while reading the Destiny books, and it just popped into my head that he could be a good Ra-Havreii. My other idea is Keith Szarabajka who played Holtz in Angel, and just guest starred in Prison Break and Cold Case, for the voice of Ree. Angel video with Holtz in a few bits.
I find it kinda ironic that the two actors I've read thus far mentioned as possible voices for Ree have both voiced the character of Wolverine (Szarabajka in the "Ultimate Spider-Man" videogame and Scott McNeil [Dinobot in "Beast Wars"] in "X-Men: Evolution").
Chris McCarver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8 2008, 10:35 AM   #1184
Cicero
Admiral

The question of Miranda Kadohata's uniform color has come up at Memory Beta. I'd portrayed her as wearing a red uniform in the manipulated image below, on the premise that her duties as second officer had been given more prominence than her duties as operations manager (and the thought that red looked better on Stephanie Chaves-Jacobsen). Should I have done so, or should her uniform have been colored gold? We've seen officers in both colors at the ops station on the Enterprise-E.

(Specifically, I'm looking for the opinions of KRAD, Christopher, and David Mack, two of whom have previously approved of the image, and whose opinions naturally carry more weight in addressing this question.)
Old December 8 2008, 02:40 PM   #1185
Christopher
Writer

Well, my first thought was that an ops manager can be anyone down to an ensign (like Harry Kim), but second officer is a command position, so it should take priority and she'd be in red. On the other hand, Data was ops manager/second officer and he wore gold, so onscreen precedent says gold.

Anyway, that image is so dark you can hardly tell anyway. I'd like to see another composite along the same lines, perhaps using a screencap of Jacobsen from The Sarah Connor Chronicles.