Cast the Characters of Trek Literature

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Haval_Runa, Apr 10, 2006.

1. Brefugee

Brefugee No longer living the Irish dream. Premium Member

The two statements weren't directly connected. My comment regarding Irish nationalism related just to the words, and my observation on human conflict was inspired by another poster's mention of the emnity between some of the peoples of the two islands (but, again, wasn't specifically about the situation in the British Isles).[/quote]

Does it really matter and should it be in this thread?

May I say, I'm sorry for causing this tangent to occur, I had a bee in my bonniet which I can't actually remember the reason for, so, lets get this back on topic as I doubt anyone's that interested in how the British have been complete c***s towards pretty much everyone over the course of the centuries and the dislike which has occured.

Yeah, what he said :bolian:

2. Cheile

Cheile Ensign Red Shirt

wow....too many pages to read through :boggle: tho i skimmed several.

i've seen renders of Joe Flanigan as Mackenzie Calhoun and i totally agree.

one person i've mentally had cast for awhile - Charlize Theron as SCE's Domenica Corsi. she's got the looks, the presence, and i know she could pull off the role. (not that we'd ever get an SCE movie but i can dream right?? :P)

3. David Mack

David Mack Writer Rear Admiral

Hmmmm.... I don't know what Keith will say to that, but I like it very much. :)

4. KRAD

KRAD Keith R.A. DeCandido Admiral

Theron isn't remotely who I had in mind, but I bet she could pull the role off..............

5. David Mack

David Mack Writer Rear Admiral

^ I agree. Theron has the right kind of Nordic beauty and also the height (5'10") and the force of personality (she really is a superb actor of great intelligence and nuance).

6. Epsilon IX

Epsilon IX Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

^Personally I've envisaged Theron as my choice for Christine Vale in Titan.

As for some of my other ideas:

T'Lana (Resistance & Before Dishonour): either Natalie Portman or Keira Knightley

Jasminder Choudhury (Greater Than The Sum & Destiny Trilogy): for some wierd reason I've always imagined her looking like Konnie Huq from Blue Peter! You might think that's a bit wierd but that's my opinion.

I don't know about anyone else here, but do you ever cast yourself into the novels, because sometimes I will cast myself as an extra who if he's lucky has a few lines to say and has a surname, but normally will just refer to them by their rank or race, and will just do something like turn and nod or just stand around in the background.

7. KRAD

KRAD Keith R.A. DeCandido Admiral

Vale has consistently been described as petite, so I'm not sure casting a 5'10" woman in the part works.... :lol:

8. Chris McCarver

Chris McCarver Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I've always kinda pictured Reiko Aylesworth from "24" as Vale.

9. Thrawn

Thrawn Rear Admiral Premium Member

I've been trying to come up with someone who'd play Mackenzie Calhoun properly for years, and it just now came to me - Robert Downey Jr. would be absolutely 100% perfect.

I still can't come up with anyone I like for Cwan though.

10. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

arnold vosloo

11. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

From the first day I read New Frontier Book I in 1997, I always pictured Si Cwan as being played by (an admittedly younger) Andreas Katsulas of Babylon 5 fame.

I also pictured Lodec, the Danteri leader, as being played by Peter Jurasik, who played Londo on B5, and I also always pictured Captain Calhoun as looking like a younger version of Bruce Boxleitner.

12. BrotherBenny

BrotherBenny Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

How about Lou Ferrigno for Cwan?

He used to play a big guy in green paint, why not a big guy in red paint?

13. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

no offence to Lou, but he's too muscular and not regal enough.

14. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Hmmm, that's one I hadn't thought of before. And TBH I have no idea what to think of it.

15. Nerys Ghemor

Nerys Ghemor Vice Admiral Admiral

I may have simply missed it if it's been mentioned, but in the Titan series...who would you guys cast to play Zurin Dakal?

16. Thrawn

...Interesting. Very interesting.

17. TJ Sinclair

TJ Sinclair Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Nope. I love Downey, but no. I'm pretty sure you're basing that thought on Tony Stark, right? Snarkyness aside, ultimately, there's only the barest superficial resemblance between Stark and Calhoun. Now, could Downey act the part? Hell yes. But he's still all wrong for the role.

Almost perfect. He'd get my vote for the role.

18. Thrawn

I was trying to come up with someone that could be flippant without being petty, and keep an aura of barely restrained violence around him constantly without being creepy or off-putting. I can't think of any other actor that could do that right. I'd thought of Nathan Fillion earlier, but Mal is too self-conscious and Fillion undercuts himself too often; perfect for that role, but not for Calhoun, who'd need to be more forceful. That wuss from Stargate: Atlantis would be terrible and I can't believe anyone ever suggested him. I've never seen Mel Gibson being right either, for whatever reason, though I know that's PAD's choice. I still think RDJ is the best choice I've come up with.

It wasn't because I think Calhoun is anything like Stark. It's because RDJ could handle the character without making him a joke or an ass.

19. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

^But Ci Swan is an ass...

20. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^^Uhh, Downey was proposed for Calhoun, not Si Cwan.