Retro Review: Profit and Lace
By: Michelle on Aug 16

Eve Engaged
By: T'Bonz on Aug 15

Shatner’s Get A Life DVD Debuts
By: T'Bonz on Aug 14

TV Alert: Takei Oprah Appearance
By: T'Bonz on Aug 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old April 22 2007, 02:35 PM   #616
Christopher
Writer

Re: Cast the Characters of Trek Literature

I've been looking through this whole massive thread, and I can't find any casting suggestions for the new characters in the Voyager Relaunch, such as Dr. Kaz, Lyssa Campbell, Commander Ellis, etc. Anybody have any thoughts? (And let's avoid editorial comments on the Relaunch, please -- keep it to casting suggestions.)

I've had trouble envisioning someone for Dr. Kaz -- tall, blue-eyed, dark-haired, around middle age -- but I finally figured maybe Tim Matheson could fit the bill. For Ellis I kinda stuck a moustache onto Alexis Denisof in his Buffy days.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22 2007, 04:37 PM   #617
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

Captaindemotion said:I frequently see people on the BBS stating as fact that Connery was originally cast as Luther Sloan in DS9 but had to drop out. I'm sure that must be utter rubbish, as he hasn't done tv in years and is unlikely to agree to star in what was not one of the better known shows on tv at the time.
I've never heard that rumor, but I do know that Martin Sheen was up for the role of Sloan at one point.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22 2007, 07:10 PM   #618
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

^ That one is a little more likely, given that he did appear in one of the B5 telemovies.

Must stop hijacking thread!
Old April 23 2007, 02:34 AM   #619
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

Christopher said:
I've been looking through this whole massive thread, and I can't find any casting suggestions for the new characters in the Voyager Relaunch, such as... Lyssa Campbell...
Hasn't Christie Golden said that Lyssa was the blonde extra at the transporter console in "Eye of the Needle"?

For Ellis I kinda stuck a moustache onto Alexis Denisof in his Buffy days.
That works.
Old April 23 2007, 03:21 AM   #620
Christopher
Writer

Q420 said:
Hasn't Christie Golden said that Lyssa was the blonde extra at the transporter console in "Eye of the Needle"?
She said that after she created the character in her first novel, she saw a blonde transporter operator in that episode and wondered if it was a tribute (which it probably wasn't, given that the shows' makers were too busy making the shows to pay much attention to the books).

Also, I think she may have been misremembering which episode it was, because "Needle" aired a full year before her first novel was published, and the transporter-operator extra in that episode is dark-haired:
http://voy.trekcore.com/gallery/disp...bum=19&pos=220

Old May 2 2007, 01:34 AM   #621
Turbo
Vice Admiral

View Turbo's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Turbo

I was thinking something recently - one of the DS9 characters in the novels needs to be recast - Joseph Sisko.

Who do you think would be a good choice to replace the late Brock Peters? I'd like to see Morgan Freeman's take on Joseph.
Old May 2 2007, 02:39 AM   #622
Trent Roman
Rear Admiral

Hee... "March of the Jem'Hadar"

Fictitiously yours, Trent Roman
Old May 2 2007, 04:18 AM   #623
Christopher
Writer

Turbo said:
I was thinking something recently - one of the DS9 characters in the novels needs to be recast - Joseph Sisko.

Who do you think would be a good choice to replace the late Brock Peters? I'd like to see Morgan Freeman's take on Joseph.
Why in the world would you need to recast an actor in your imagination just because he died in the real world???

Old May 2 2007, 10:40 PM   #624
Darth_Pazuzu
Rear Admiral

When I first read William Shatner and Judith & Garfield Reeves-Stevens' The Ashes Of Eden, for some reason I always pictured Jack Nicholson as Androvar Drake!
Old May 3 2007, 08:06 PM   #625
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

Christopher said:
Turbo said:

Why in the world would you need to recast an actor in your imagination just because he died in the real world???
To be fair, sometimes my mind insists on playing by 'real world' rules when asking 'who would play so&so if this was a movie?' By which I mean, I try to imagine if this book were filmed now, who would be in it?

I mean, I just read To Catch a Thief, a 1940s set detective novel by Robert Kaminsky. Cary Grant plays a large role in it - as in, playing himself. So when I was reading it, part of me went 'So who would play Cary Grant if this were a movie. Can't think of any actor who's like him ...'

Then, a split-second later, I sort of went 'Oh, yeah of course ...
Old May 3 2007, 08:49 PM   #626
Christopher
Writer

Captaindemotion said:
To be fair, sometimes my mind insists on playing by 'real world' rules when asking 'who would play so&so if this was a movie?' By which I mean, I try to imagine if this book were filmed now, who would be in it?
Does that apply if you're reading, say, a TOS novel set during the original series? If you read a Shatnerverse novel with the older versions of the characters, do you use present-day Shatner and Nimoy but recast McCoy?

I do often try to imagine current actors for new book-only roles, but I don't like the idea of mentally recasting characters we've seen onscreen.

I mean, I just read To Catch a Thief, a 1940s set detective novel by Robert Kaminsky. Cary Grant plays a large role in it - as in, playing himself.
Odd, since Cary Grant starred in Hitchcock's 1955 film To Catch a Thief, based on a book by David Dodge. Oh, wait, you said the book is set in the '40s, not written then. I guess the author is making an homage to the film in some way.

Old May 3 2007, 09:30 PM   #627
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

Turbo said:

I always thought Morgan Freeman should be playing a Vulcan. Tuvok's father, for example.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3 2007, 10:08 PM   #628
Steve Roby
Commodore

Christopher said:

Odd, since Cary Grant starred in Hitchcock's 1955 film To Catch a Thief, based on a book by David Dodge. Oh, wait, you said the book is set in the '40s, not written then. I guess the author is making an homage to the film in some way.
Kaminsky has a series of private eye novels set in 1940s Hollywood, each one involving stars of the time (Humphrey Bogart, Bette Davis, etc), sometimes with titles alluding to their movies.
Steve Roby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4 2007, 12:06 AM   #629
Christopher
Writer

Babaganoosh said:
I always thought Morgan Freeman should be playing a Vulcan. Tuvok's father, for example.
Heck, I would've rather seen Morgan Freeman play Tuvok. Tim Russ did a good job, but I always regretted that they weren't able to go the route they intended and cast him as more of a venerable elder/mentor type.

I also regret that they never got the late Roscoe Lee Browne to play a Klingon.

Old May 4 2007, 04:17 AM   #630
Turbo
Vice Admiral

View Turbo's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Turbo

Christopher said:
Turbo said:

Because if by some miracle the DS9-R books were to be filmed, they'd need to recast Joseph.

It's just a little mental exercise when bored, imagining other people in established roles. Who'd fit and who wouldn't?