TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old August 16 2006, 01:39 AM   #436
TerriO
Writer-type human

Re: Cast the Characters of Trek Literature

I've only watched 3 episodes of CSI: Miami, the one Gary Sinise was in (that introduced CSI: NY), the one Joe Flanigan was in, and the one Michael Shanks was in.

And I couldn't stand Horatio any of those time. So, if Caruso was playing him to be unlikeable, he succeeded.

Edit: Forgot one time I'd actually seen the show.
Old August 16 2006, 06:19 AM   #437
Commander Cavit
Vice Admiral

RookieBatman said:
Commander Cavit said:
The LOL smiley, pictured here: , is usually considered an indication of the poster's meaning what he wrote to be taken humorously.
The wink usually indicates much the same thing.
I know I was aiming that salvo more at Christopher.
I guess that's were we disagree, then. I don't think that Shatner is a scenery-chewing ham. I think that he really is a good actor.
And here's whenre Christopher and I largely agree. I don't see the terms as mutually exclusive. I've seen Richard Burton and Richard Harris be both. Some men are so full of greatness that even their halfbaked efforts have a grandeur to them.

I've never watched a full episode of any of the CSI shows. I like Peterson but I think Sinise is an overrated hack. But I'm a Law & Order guy, especially SVU, and I have my loyalties to uphold

As for Caruso he's quite good in the first season of NYPD Blue (as mentioned), Session 9, Proof of Life, Gold Coast and King of New York.
Commander Cavit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16 2006, 06:23 AM   #438
Endymion
Captain

View Endymion's Twitter Profile

Cicero said:
Olmos seems too old to be dating someone so young as Parminder Nagra (though I'm not sure she's right for Desai).

Actually, I really like Charles Bronson for the part, having had a little more time to consider him outside the confines of the 60s.
Olmos is too old so you went with a giddy young buck like Charles Bronson? Didn't he die?
Old August 16 2006, 06:28 AM   #439
Cicero
Admiral

Endymion said:
Cicero said:
Olmos seems too old to be dating someone so young as Parminder Nagra (though I'm not sure she's right for Desai).

Actually, I really like Charles Bronson for the part, having had a little more time to consider him outside the confines of the 60s.
Olmos is too old so you went with a giddy young buck like Charles Bronson? Didn't he die?
I was thinking Bronson c. The Dirty Dozen. I've never seen young Olmos, though, save for very brief snippets of Miami Vice. I know him mostly as Justice Mendoza on The West Wing.
Old August 16 2006, 11:47 AM   #440
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

RookieBatman said:
ClayinCA said:
Caruso also gave pretty decent performances in Mad Dog and Glory as Robert DeNiro's cop partner and in First Blood, as a slightly more sympathetic member of the police unit hunting Rambo.
Hey, I just recorded First Blood, I might try to give that a look sometime.

You should do, it's a pretty good movie. The second and third episodes are trash, but this was a decent movie in the Deliverance/ Southern Comfort vein, if not as good as either.

Someone else mentioned Caruso in The King of New York - I'd forgotten about that, but yeah, he was good in it, alongside Walken, Snipes and Fishburne. Pretty good company to hold your own in.
Old August 16 2006, 06:19 PM   #441
RookieBatman
Commodore

Commander Cavit said:
RookieBatman said:
Commander Cavit said:
The LOL smiley, pictured here: , is usually considered an indication of the poster's meaning what he wrote to be taken humorously.
The wink usually indicates much the same thing.
I know I was aiming that salvo more at Christopher.
I guess that's were we disagree, then. I don't think that Shatner is a scenery-chewing ham. I think that he really is a good actor.
And here's whenre Christopher and I largely agree. I don't see the terms as mutually exclusive. I've seen Richard Burton and Richard Harris be both. Some men are so full of greatness that even their halfbaked efforts have a grandeur to them.
My apologies for misunderstanding on both counts, then.

As for Caruso he's quite good in the first season of NYPD Blue (as mentioned), Session 9, Proof of Life, Gold Coast and King of New York.
My brother was just telling me about Proof of Life. I can't remember if he liked Caruso or not, but then, I think he kinda likes him in CSI:M, so I guess his opinion doesn't count for much.
Old August 16 2006, 07:28 PM   #442
ClayinCA
Commodore

ClayinCA said:
Caruso was actually really good during the first season of NYPD BLUE - you can see why everyone went on and on about him to such a degree.
Christopher said:
Actually not, because that's where I first saw him and decided I totally disliked him. I haven't watched him in anything since, aside from the odd couple of minutes of his CSI show during channel-surfing..
Ah well, to each his own, I guess.

ClayinCA said:
A year or so back (this would have been after THE PRACTICE but before BOSTON LEGAL premiered), I went to a salute to William Shatner sponsored by the Museum of Television & Radio at the Director's Guild here in Hollywood. There was a Q&A with the man himself, preceded by a retrospective consisting of clips from throughout his career. It basically went chronologically, with the caveat that the STAR TREK stuff was saved until the very end, and it was very interesting to see his progression as an actor. In some of the earliest clips (what looked like kinescopes of live TV in some cases, as well as a few scenes with E.G. Marshall in THE DEFENDERS), it was amazing to see the subtlety and intensity of Shatner's acting. It becomes much easier to see why William Shatner was so well-regarded as an actor in the early Sixties, and how it was such a coup for STAR TREK to sign him up. But what was even more interesting to me was that you could almost pinpoint the exact moment where he seems to stop trying very hard, and becomes instead more known for the "hammy" acting he's so often criticized for.
Christopher said:
Could you specify when that moment was? I have a theory that it has something to do with the tinnitus (ringing in the ears) that he's suffered from since a special-effects explosion went off too close to him in an ST episode (maybe "Arena"). I gather it got really bad over the years. It seems to me that it must be hard to give a subtle, nuanced performance when you're trying to hear yourself over a loud ringing in your ears.

But I certainly think he gave some good performances after TOS. His turn as a Columbo murderer in 1976's "Fade in to Murder" was superb.
You know, I've never actually seen that particular Columbo, though I've always wanted to. Have to see if it's on DVD yet and put it in my Netflix queue.

As to the tinnitus, I never knew Shatner suffered from that - interesting. As to the moment when he "stopped trying," as I said they took STAR TREK out of the chronological order of his career, but the approximate time of TOS seems to be the dividing line; his performances shown after that seem to be much much what we now think of as "typical" Shatner acting, though obviously with some exceptions (I still think he was much better in the (don't laugh) T.J. Hooker pilot than he ever was in the series).
ClayinCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17 2006, 06:14 AM   #443
Commander Cavit
Vice Admiral

RookieBatman said:
My brother was just telling me about Proof of Life.
He plays Russell Crowe's hilariously over intense partner when they mount the rescue operation. He was a good foil for him.

In King of New York, he and Wesley Snipes are Detective partners. Laurence Fishburne's hood character derisively calls them "Howdy Doody and The Chocolate Wonder."
Commander Cavit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27 2006, 09:47 PM   #444
Lord_Trekie
Lieutenant

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Lord_Trekie

I may or may not get shot for this but here goes (Titan Cast):

Capt. William Riker: Jonathan Frakes
Cmdr. Deanna Troi: Marina Sirtis
Cmdr. Christine Vale: Amanda Tapping
Lt. Cmdr. Ranul Keru: Frank Owen Smith
Cmdr. Tuvok: Tim Russ
Ens. Aili Lavena: Michelle Forbes
C.P.O. Axel Bolaji: Robert Duncan McNeil
Ens. Olivia Bolaji: Jennifer Hetrick
Lt. Melora Pazlar: Daphne Ashbrook
Lt. Alyssa Ogawa: Patti Yasutake

Oh please don't kill me!!!
Lord_Trekie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27 2006, 10:08 PM   #445
lvsxy808
Rear Admiral

Not shot perhaps, but definitely a little slap.

Neither of the Bolajis are Caucasian as I understand the situation.

Read Deep Space Nine, Season 10
All 22 eps available to read on-screen or download and keep!
lvsxy808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27 2006, 10:24 PM   #446
Rosalind
TrekLit's Dr Rose Mod

no, if I remember correctly, Axel Bloaji is Australian Aboriginese.
Rosalind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27 2006, 10:37 PM   #447
Christopher
Writer

Yes, Axel Bolaji is Aboriginal Australian. I believe Olivia is ethnically African.

And... Frank Owen Smith for Keru????? That's the guy who "played" Curzon Dax in the "Emissary" flashbacks. Aside from both being Trill, Curzon and Keru bear no resemblance to each other whatsoever. Curzon, as rendered by Smith, was a frail elderly man with a reasonably full head of hair, while Keru is a big, burly, balding security chief in his prime.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27 2006, 10:45 PM   #448
Lord_Trekie
Lieutenant

So make Keru a white Chris Judge... That would be a sight to see... As for the Bolaji's I've read the first 3 books but I am incapable of catching 70% of the detail first time I read, thanks for pointing that out.
Old August 27 2006, 11:25 PM   #449
RookieBatman
Commodore

Lord_Trekie said:
I may or may not get shot for this but here goes (Titan Cast):

Cmdr. Tuvok: Tim Russ

Wait, Tim Russ...Tim Russ . . . that's the guy who played the security guard (and later the FBI agent) on Fresh Prince of Bel-Air, right? I don't think he'd be quite right for an unemotional Vulcan...how about Taye Diggs?

(For those who haven't seen Equilibrium, this is a joke about how, in that movie, where everybody's supposed to be devoid of emotion, Diggs is grinning ear to ear in practically every scene.)
Oh well, I guess a joke is never funny if you have to explain it. Ah, it was worth a try.
Old August 27 2006, 11:38 PM   #450
Lord_Trekie
Lieutenant

Tim Russ played Tuvok for 7 years on Voyager...