RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,682
Members: 24,205
Currently online: 747
Newest member: JMSmith97

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old August 9 2006, 03:22 AM   #391
Endymion
Captain

View Endymion's Twitter Profile
Re: Cast the Characters of Trek Literature

I'm sorry, but I can only picture Commodore Reyes as Edward James Olmos.
Old August 9 2006, 03:26 AM   #392
Cicero
Admiral

Olmos seems too old to be dating someone so young as Parminder Nagra (though I'm not sure she's right for Desai).

Actually, I really like Charles Bronson for the part, having had a little more time to consider him outside the confines of the 60s.
Old August 10 2006, 01:57 AM   #393
JD
Admiral

Endymion said:
Same here. He's the only character for whom I don't agree with David Mack's casting choice. :thumbsup:
Harry Dresden - Blood Rites (The Dresden Files #6)
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10 2006, 02:23 AM   #394
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

cmdrxeris said:
What about Robert Vaughn for Elias Vaughn?
Naw, if we're talking Vaughns, I vote for Vaughn Armstrong.

I mean, come on, he is da man, you must agree.

"Set phasers tae malky!"
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10 2006, 02:26 AM   #395
JD
Admiral

Vaughn Armstrong is pretty cool, but I don't know if he'd be right for Elias Vaughn.
Harry Dresden - Blood Rites (The Dresden Files #6)
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10 2006, 07:31 AM   #396
Jack Bauer
Fleet Admiral

Endymion said:
Yeah, I keep seeing Olmos as Reyes.
Old August 10 2006, 08:20 AM   #397
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

^ I actually do like the idea of Tommy Lee Jones as Reyes. Any time someone mentions Olmos in a Trek context, I keep thinking 'Klingon' (since he was the first choice for Kruge in ST III).

"Set phasers tae malky!"
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11 2006, 11:56 PM   #398
ClayinCA
Commodore

I realize this is slightly off the drift of the conversation here, but I've just been re-reading Margaret Wander Bonanno's excellent Strangers from the Sky and thought I'd offer the following casting suggestions if anyone's interested:

Jason Nyere: James Earl Jones
Melody Sawyer: Jodie Foster
T'Lera: Sigourney Weaver or Camille Saviola
Sorahl: Tom Welling
Yoshi: don't know about this one
Tatya: ditto
Parneb: Either Alexander Siddig or the late Roddy McDowall (I know Parneb's supposed to be Egyptian, but I could so clearly imagine Roddy saying some of Parneb's lines).

I'm about to start on Diane Carey's Final Frontier next - any suggestions for who could play George Kirk or Robert April?
ClayinCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12 2006, 12:15 AM   #399
William Leisner
Scribbler

View William Leisner's Twitter Profile

ClayinCA said:
T'Lera: Sigourney Weaver or Camille Saviola

I'm going to wager this is the first time ever these two actresses have ever been considered for the same role.
William Leisner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12 2006, 12:41 AM   #400
ClayinCA
Commodore

Yes, probably. I put Sigourney for the steel in T'Lera's character, and Camille for the serenity she brought to Opaka, which would work well for the Vulcan T'Lera as well.
Old August 12 2006, 12:45 AM   #401
ClayinCA
Commodore

By the way, going back to casting Vanguard for a moment, I've been picturing Pennington as David Tennant, the Tenth Doctor Who, using his natural Scottish accent.
Old August 12 2006, 01:37 AM   #402
RookieBatman
Commodore

ClayinCA said:
I'm about to start on Diane Carey's Final Frontier next - any suggestions for who could play George Kirk or Robert April?
I haven't read Final Frontier yet, but when I read the Captain April story in Enterprise Logs, I was very happy with the casting of Robert Shaw as April. His voice is somewhat similar to the accent James Doohan used as April in the Animated Series ep, and I think Robert Shaw could do well as the paternal-type character that April is.
As for George Kirk, I'll probably just go with Shatner, since often in TV shows, if a father appears once or isn't really a regular character, it is played by the same actor (I'm thinking of JAG and Quantum Leap specifically).
This is just a random brainstorm, but somebody once mentioned how Kevin Pollack did a great Shatner impression and...well, I'm not sure what the point if it was back then, but, I don't know, maybe Pollack would be a good George Kirk. Just a random thought.
Old August 12 2006, 02:02 AM   #403
ClayinCA
Commodore

I thought about Shatner as George Kirk (since after all, he also played the dead body of Kirk's brother Sam in the Original Series), but George is described as being red-haired, and I somehow can't imagine Bill Shatner as a redhead...

Robert Shaw as Captain April, though, is inspired. I must have missed that in Enterprise Logs - good excuse to go back and re-read that!
Old August 12 2006, 02:13 AM   #404
RookieBatman
Commodore

ClayinCA said:
I thought about Shatner as George Kirk (since after all, he also played the dead body of Kirk's brother Sam in the Original Series), but George is described as being red-haired, and I somehow can't imagine Bill Shatner as a redhead...
He's a redhead? This I did not know. Isn't he the guy on the cover of Final Frontier? (The one in the center who has black hair?) Was the cover artist just goofing, or what?

Robert Shaw as Captain April, though, is inspired. I must have missed that in Enterprise Logs - good excuse to go back and re-read that!
I appreciate the compliment. It helped that I had just watched Force Ten from Naverone before I read that story. Certainly not the best movie ever, but hey, Robert Shaw is Robert Shaw.
Old August 12 2006, 02:20 AM   #405
ClayinCA
Commodore

RookieBatman said:
ClayinCA said:
He's a redhead? This I did not know. Isn't he the guy on the cover of Final Frontier? (The one in the center who has black hair?) Was the cover artist just goofing, or what?
I'm not sure. The guy on the cover to the right of Shatner (the one who isn't a David Copperfield look-alike with pointed ears! ) has red hair, and I'm not sure who else he can be meant to be, but he looks not at all like he could be Kirk's dad, so I always kind of wrote off the cover art, to be honest.

RookieBatman said:I appreciate the compliment. It helped that I had just watched Force Ten from Naverone before I read that story. Certainly not the best movie ever, but hey, Robert Shaw is Robert Shaw.
Indeed! Besides, the movie features a nice, revealing look at Bond girl Barbara Bach , so it's got that going for it as well, which is nice...