Insight Editions Announces Three Trek Books For 2015
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

To Be Takei Review by Spencer Blohm

Mulgrew: Playing Red

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old February 4 2012, 10:37 PM   #2116
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile
Re: Cast the Characters of Trek Literature

Lance Reddick as Moves-With-Burning-Grace
Old February 5 2012, 05:05 PM   #2117
JD
Admiral

I like that.
Harry Dresden - Blood Rites (The Dresden Files #6)
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5 2012, 06:52 PM   #2118
Relayer1
Commodore

Thrawn wrote: View Post
Ugh, God, no. Ugh!

Michael O'Hare has to be the single worst actor I have ever seen in a lead role of anything. In the entirety of first season, he had exactly one line delivery that I thought was good. One.
I think it's unfair to single out one actor in B5 - the show was knee deep in bad acting. Bruce Boxleitner, Claudia Christian, Jeff Conaway, Jerry Doyle, Tracy Scoggins etc. etc.

Which makes it all the more astounding how good Stephen Furst, Peter Jurasik and Andreas Katsulas were.
Old February 5 2012, 06:55 PM   #2119
Stoek
Commander

View Stoek's Twitter Profile

Relayer1 wrote: View Post
Ugh, God, no. Ugh!

Michael O'Hare has to be the single worst actor I have ever seen in a lead role of anything. In the entirety of first season, he had exactly one line delivery that I thought was good. One.
I think it's unfair to single out one actor in B5 - the show was knee deep in bad acting. Bruce Boxleitner, Claudia Christian, Jeff Conaway, Jerry Doyle, Tracy Scoggins etc. etc.

Which makes it all the more astounding how good Stephen Furst, Peter Jurasik and Andreas Katsulas were.
Sorry but I can't agree. Personally I enjoyed all the acting on B5 (although I certainly won't disagree that the three actors you cite at the end of your post were indeed the best of the best.) except for Michael O'Hare. There was just something about the combination of his choices as an actor and the way the character was written that made it very hard for me to bear watching him. My interest in B5 only really took off after Bruce Boxleitner joined the cast.
Stoek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5 2012, 10:13 PM   #2120
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

Neither was ever going to win an Oscar but I preferred O'Hare's worthy and earnest dullness to Boxleitner's smirking cheese and ham.
Old February 5 2012, 10:15 PM   #2121
Christopher
Writer

I like Bruce Boxleitner, though I think on the whole that owes more to Scarecrow and Mrs. King and maybe TRON than it does to B5.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6 2012, 12:24 AM   #2122
Relayer1
Commodore

Christopher wrote: View Post
I like Bruce Boxleitner, though I think on the whole that owes more to Scarecrow and Mrs. King and maybe TRON than it does to B5.
I didn't mind him at all in Tron (which I only watched last year), but still think he and many of his colleagues in B5 were rather less than stellar.
Old February 6 2012, 12:58 AM   #2123
Christopher
Writer

True, most of the B5 cast wasn't on the same top-notch level we Trek viewers have been spoiled by, but most of them were at least adequate. And Walter Koenig has never been better than he was on B5.

Old February 6 2012, 04:24 PM   #2124
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

I seem to be on my own here, but my fave actor in B5 was generally Bill Mumy. Uniquely in that show, he played everything with an under-stated elegance, which distinguished him from the hamminess that surrounded him.
Old February 6 2012, 05:11 PM   #2125
Thrawn
Rear Admiral

Captaindemotion wrote: View Post
I seem to be on my own here, but my fave actor in B5 was generally Bill Mumy. Uniquely in that show, he played everything with an under-stated elegance, which distinguished him from the hamminess that surrounded him.
The correctness of this post balances out the utter wrongness of preferring Michael O'Hare to anything.

We're square.
Old February 6 2012, 06:21 PM   #2126
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

Captaindemotion wrote: View Post
The correctness of this post balances out the utter wrongness of preferring Michael O'Hare to anything.

We're square.

Old February 6 2012, 09:29 PM   #2127
JWolf
Commodore

I think we should have a new Trek series starring Micheal O'Hare and Bruce Willis. That would just be so...
Old February 10 2012, 01:50 AM   #2128
Mojomoe
Commander

Heya guys -

Just jumping into this thread now, but it's a blast to read. I love seeing how different people see the same characters, it's a lot of fun.

Being a big TrekLit nerd myself (and a photoshop junkie), I've done a few shops just for fun. I know this isn't QUITE in the spirit of the thread - casting real actors - but I went the route of visualizing characters as I saw them while reading, so the faces were pieced together to not resemble any specific actor. But they were still fun to do! Here are Prynn, Vaughn, and Dr. Ree, as I saw them while reading.

Cheers!
-Moe.
"...Family motto."
Mojomoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10 2012, 02:16 AM   #2129
Christopher
Writer

^Very nice... except it looks like you've stuck Ree's head on a basically upright humanoid torso, judging from the shoulders, when he should actually be built more like a therapod dinosaur, horizontal-bodied with a cantilevering tail. Think a Jurassic Park velociraptor with a Komodo-dragon head.

Old February 10 2012, 02:47 AM   #2130
Mojomoe
Commander

^ Good point, I suppose I'd pictured him as slightly more humanoid in form than intended. Interesting. Maybe my imagination couldn't handle him squeezing into a turbolift, and unintentionally straightened his spine .

Here's a thinker for you - anyone got any ideas for SecondGen White Blue? (and yes, haha, trash can, tricorder, refridgerator, etc.). I've been trying to do a shop of him, but I can't really form a picture of something that looks half technological, half art. That one's a tough nut.

And then there's the Tzenkethi... always interested to see what they'd look like.
"...Family motto."
Mojomoe is offline   Reply With Quote