RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,413
Members: 24,632
Currently online: 412
Newest member: shrutidhrma

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old February 12 2011, 05:02 AM   #1951
Christopher
Writer

Re: Cast the Characters of Trek Literature

The Vanguard bible suggests Steve Buscemi as a template for Dr. Anthony Leone.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12 2011, 06:17 AM   #1952
Smellincoffee
Commodore

View Smellincoffee's Twitter Profile

Ah....well, he's visually memorable. Can't say I remember much of his voice, as I've only seen him in one or two films, and those a long while ago. Thanks.
Old February 13 2011, 09:36 PM   #1953
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

Smellincoffee wrote: View Post
it doesn't help that Leone is the name of the major Mafia family in the Grand Theft Auto games.
Ah, young 'uns. When I saw that name, I immediately thought of the great director Sergio Leone, of The Good The Bad The Ugly, Once Upon A Time in the West, etc.
Old February 19 2011, 05:40 PM   #1954
DarKush
Rear Admiral

Currently reading Paths of Disharmony (after finishing up Losing the Peace), and I've got a BSG thing for some of the characters:

Choudhury: Rekha Sharma
Chen: Grace Park
Konya: Tahmoh Penikett

As for the others:

Harstad: Tamala Jones (the character's first name brought me right to Jones); but the short haircut described reminded me of Halle Berry. Then I got a Stacey Dash vibe. In any event, Geordi couldn't lose with either three
Elfiki: Nazneen Contractor came to mind; so does Sarah Shahi
Den: Joel Gretsch
DarKush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19 2011, 06:10 PM   #1955
Christopher
Writer

DarKush wrote: View Post
Dave Mack would agree, but I don't like her much, and I see Choudhury as taller. Janina Gavankar is one possibility, though not ideal.

I've seen it suggested before, and I guess it could possibly work.

I don't see that at all. For one thing, Konya's blond, and probably not that tall. In my mind, he looks kind of like a younger Aaron Eckhart.

Sarah Shahi is Dave's suggestion, and I agree she'd be a fantastic choice.

Not even close to how I imagined Hegol Den. I kind of based him on Monk's Stanley Kamel.

Old February 19 2011, 09:43 PM   #1956
JD
Admiral

I've always used her for Prynn myself, and I find it hard to cast the same person in 2 big roles like this. I've been watching the Korean spy drama IRIS, and I've been thinking that Hyun Jyu Ni, might make a good Chen.
Old February 19 2011, 10:24 PM   #1957
Christopher
Writer

JD wrote: View Post
I've been watching the Korean spy drama IRIS, and I've been thinking that Hyun Jyu Ni, might make a good Chen.
Going only from photos, she looks like the right type, allowing for being Korean rather than Chinese. But then, "Chen" can be a Korean surname as well. I guess I never explicitly specified that Trys's human ancestry was Chinese, though that was my intent. I just said she had Asian features.

Old February 20 2011, 02:07 AM   #1958
Enterprise1981
Rear Admiral

View Enterprise1981's Twitter Profile

^ So I guess you and Mack discussed this sort of thing at length with Chodhury, Elfiki, and Chen being introduced in Greater Than the Sum and featured even further in the Destiny trilogy.

And while on the subject, what sorts of clues were given about Prynn's ethnicity. My initial reaction to the Memory Beta page was, "How is she black when her father's white and her mother's Asian"? Perhaps one of the darker-skinned Indonesian or Indian ethnicities?
Old February 20 2011, 02:52 AM   #1959
Christopher
Writer

Enterprise1981 wrote: View Post
^ So I guess you and Mack discussed this sort of thing at length with Chodhury, Elfiki, and Chen being introduced in Greater Than the Sum and featured even further in the Destiny trilogy.
No, "casting" suggestions didn't really come up between us during writing. I know about Dave's "cast" preferences from his earlier comments in this thread.

And while on the subject, what sorts of clues were given about Prynn's ethnicity. My initial reaction to the Memory Beta page was, "How is she black when her father's white and her mother's Asian"? Perhaps one of the darker-skinned Indonesian or Indian ethnicities?
Prynn isn't "black." The model on the Mission: Gamma cover has often been misconstrued that way, but it's a trick of lighting and hairstyle. Try covering up the hair and it becomes clear that the model's features are Asian. And her complexion is no darker than Dukat's on his part of the M:G cover spread.

Old February 20 2011, 02:14 PM   #1960
jedimaster
Ensign

John C. McGinley as Kant Jorel from Articles of the Federation.
jedimaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20 2011, 11:35 PM   #1961
Cybersnark
Lieutenant Commander

Christopher wrote: View Post
Going only from photos, she looks like the right type, allowing for being Korean rather than Chinese. But then, "Chen" can be a Korean surname as well.
Well, if we can have a Japanese man named "Sulu."

Any suggestions for Gell Kamemor from Rough Beasts of Empire and Serpents Among the Ruins? I keep getting a Linda Hunt vibe from her (though she's never described as being that short). She has a somewhat reluctant Hetty-like authority about her; she doesn't want power, but one crosses her at one's peril.
Old February 24 2011, 08:47 AM   #1962
Joel_Kirk
Commodore

Currently reading Paths of Disharmony (after finishing up Losing the Peace), and I've got a BSG thing for some of the characters:

As for the others:

Harstad: Tamala Jones (the character's first name brought me right to Jones); but the short haircut described reminded me of Halle Berry. Then I got a Stacey Dash vibe. In any event, Geordi couldn't lose with either three
Forgive me, as I'm out of the loop here.

I'm assuming this 'Tamala Harstad' talked about is being paired with Geordi LaForge in the novel 'Paths of Disharmony'? I couldn't find anything on the character on Memory Beta.

And, judging from the 'casting'...I'm assuming this Tamala Harstad is written as a 'black' woman?

Lastly, what happened with the Dina Elfiki character?

Last edited by Joel_Kirk; February 24 2011 at 11:35 AM. Reason: Joel was half-asleep when initially typing this. He is still tired editing this post at 2:31am.
Joel_Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24 2011, 03:33 PM   #1963
Christopher
Writer

Joel_Kirk wrote: View Post
What do you mean? She's still around.

Old February 24 2011, 08:44 PM   #1964
Joel_Kirk
Commodore

Christopher wrote: View Post
What do you mean? She's still around.
I mean: Didn't she and LaForge have 'something' going on?
Old February 24 2011, 09:33 PM   #1965
Christopher
Writer

I mean: Didn't she and LaForge have 'something' going on?
Uhh, no. Geordi and Dina resolved very early on, in Greater Than the Sum, to be just friends and colleagues.